PDA

View Full Version : What the Desert Sun (Palm Springs Newspaper) is saying

gaypalmsprings
01-26-2008, 05:45 AM
No quick sellout for Coachella Music Festival
Discontent over the headliners a possible reason

Bruce Fessier • The Desert Sun • January 26, 2008

INDIO - The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival showed no signs Friday of a quick sellout for its April 25-27 event at the Empire Polo Club in Indio.

Promoters for the Los Angeles-based Goldenvoice company didn't return messages Friday requesting the volume of tickets sold on the first day of sales through Ticketmaster outlets. But tickets remained on sale in the evening for three-day packages and all three single days.

Last year, single-day tickets for the Saturday and Sunday lineups headlined by Red Hot Chili Peppers and Rage Against the Machine were cut off after two days. A publicist said they were cut off early to ensure the availability of three-day passes.

Widespread discontent over this year's headliners has been expressed on the Coachella Web site, and some have suggested that will impact ticket sales. Others on the site have praised this year's lineup.

"Got to admit I am not too crazy about the line-up, but every year there are bands that I am not familiar with before the show that blow me away," wrote BretCohn, a mydesert.com reader.

Headliners for this year's festival are Jack Johnson, Portishead and Roger Waters.

Tickets also are slightly more expensive this year.

Single-day tickets are $90, and three-day passes are $269, plus fees.

Westy
01-26-2008, 06:32 AM
Glad to see the local press is covering peoples displeasure about the headliners and more expensive tickets.

Maybe this will give Goldenvoice a boot up the ass to add some more big bands.

I personally like the line-up, but admit the one of the headliners suck, one is OK, and the other is great (Roger Waters).

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-26-2008, 07:03 AM
I approve of the thread! :thu

maybe this will get them moving to change around the line up a bit...

boyalien0
01-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Maybe this will make GV realize that you can't just randomly decide to promote someone to headliner status. Headliners are HEADLINERS. You don't become one overnight just because someone says so.

orbit
01-26-2008, 09:44 AM
First press news I read about the reaction to Jack Johnson. Are there other news about it?

suprefan
01-26-2008, 01:06 PM
You being serious?

And maybe the Desert sun is pissed they did not get any dirt on the line up this time.

thelastgreatman
01-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Tickets are going to sell out almost as fast as 2007. I don't think GV's going to sweat it.

orbit
01-26-2008, 01:39 PM
You being serious?

Yeah, I hadn't read the LA times and MTV articles until today.

Courtney
01-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Widespread discontent over this year's headliners has been expressed on the Coachella Web site [...]

Since when are the ramblings of a message board considered news? I've seen this in several articles recently -- some even quoting specific threads. Without the reporter doing the legwork necessary to figure out who is saying what, it just reads like lazy journalism to me.

Cpt. Funkaho
01-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Since when are the ramblings of a message board considered news? I've seen this in several articles recently -- some even quoting specific threads. Without the reporter doing the legwork necessary to figure out who is saying what, it just reads like lazy journalism to me.

To be fair, the only real way to judge popular reaction to the lineup other than running some kind of independent poll is to come on here and see what people are saying.

The other way would be to check ticket sales year-over-year, and it sounds like they asked about that and were understandably rebuffed (if I were GV/AEG, I wouldn't release info on ticket sales unless they were measurably better than the previous year).

Boourns
01-26-2008, 06:52 PM
If only movie studios could keep box office grosses a secret...