gratytrainridesagain
01-25-2008, 11:10 PM
They're 2 of 4 and putting out really bad albums

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-25-2008, 11:10 PM
That version of the Smashing Pumpkins is dead and gone. RIP

Ulcer
01-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Iha is rumored to be deejaying the Sahara. Just thought I'd drop the dime and let you know since you're Jonesing for the year 1995.

ElBlueblazer
01-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Iha is rumored to be deejaying the Sahara. Just thought I'd drop the dime and let you know since you're Jonesing for the year 1995.

Your Iha thread made me think of them.

there were so many rumors the last 2 years. Why not this year. the 2/4 Pumkins would still be great to see.

And 1995 was a good year.

gratytrainridesagain
01-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Seen it at V-fest it wasn't that great

Ulcer
01-25-2008, 11:36 PM
I think Microcuts and MassivePimplePunk try to police the rumors.

Austria, Finland and, Ikea enter the European Union
WTO established (I work at Wal-Mart so this one is kinda big)
Richey Edwards, Manic Street Preachers, dead! Yes!
Yahoo! founded
Thankfully, Jerry Garcia dies.
Windows 95

Memorial_07
01-26-2008, 07:22 AM
I certainly thought it would be their year in '08

nbvwes
01-26-2008, 08:57 AM
saw them at KROQ L.A. Invasion and most of the place left in the middle of their set... sad. They'd fit in alot better @ Coachella, but i don't think it's gonna happen... i like alot of their newer stuff, especially 'United States', awesome song!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-26-2008, 09:24 AM
to hell with the current Zwan 2.0...bring back James Iha and we will have a real SP reunion....D'arcy can come too...

orbit
01-26-2008, 10:07 AM
I was pretty sure they'd be this year's Red Hot Chili Peppers. They were even in my pool list, but was wrong.

superfiction
01-26-2008, 10:09 AM
theyd be much more welcome even as a washed up act than jack johnson

orbit
01-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Yeah, but people would be bitching a lot anyway. 'How is possible Coachella gets a headliner who toured all the US and played festivals everywhere last year, and with no all original members, etc.'

jack the ripper
01-26-2008, 10:24 AM
saw them at one of the residencies. Worst money ever spent, left early.

hypervera
01-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Yeah, but people would be bitching a lot anyway. 'How is possible Coachella gets a headliner who toured all the US and played festivals everywhere last year, and with no all original members, etc.'

yeah that people sucks!

ElBlueblazer
01-26-2008, 10:50 AM
theyd be much more welcome even as a washed up act than jack johnson

Very true, bit at this point anyone would be welcomed over JJ

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-26-2008, 10:52 AM
saw them at one of the residencies. Worst money ever spent, left early.

that bad huh?

hypervera
01-26-2008, 10:54 AM
that bad huh?

nop i saw the smashing at tucson and they rocked!!

thelastgreatman
01-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Saw them at Virgin. Jack's probably better, that was the most embarassing headliner set ever.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Saw them at Virgin. Jack's probably better, that was the most embarassing headliner set ever.

OUCH! worst then JJ? that is the new put down....

hypervera
01-26-2008, 11:07 AM
OUCH! worst then JJ? that is the new put down....

impossible! billy corgan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>jj

come on!!! its rock VS. a dude with his monkey!!!

ElBlueblazer
01-26-2008, 11:07 AM
nop i saw the smashing at tucson and they rocked!!

I saw the pumpkins at the Kroq L.A. invasion.. they had an awesome set.

the people that dont like them are assholes...jk
differnt strokes for differnt folks.

i know there are a ton of Pumpkin fans that would to see them at coachella 08

hypervera
01-26-2008, 11:09 AM

totally right!

kretz
01-26-2008, 11:11 AM
the problem is at la invasion they needed to play a hits setlist, but they opened up with the fucking ten minute united states, and also played two other random "jams" heavy metal machine and superchrist that probably only 20 people knew. their problem is they play too many shitty jam songs that nobody wants to hear.

mandelbaum
01-26-2008, 11:12 AM

I agree. But there are definitely a lot of Smashing Pumpkins haters (and plenty on this board) that just cannot keep themselves from bashing the band. If they

mandelbaum
01-26-2008, 11:13 AM

I agree. But there are definitely a lot of Smashing Pumpkins haters (and plenty on this board) that just cannot keep themselves from bashing the band. If they replaced Jack Johnson by some complete miracle, I think even the haters would be somewhat relieved though.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-26-2008, 11:18 AM
I saw them at vfest too. and they rocked. For the bands that the Vfest had this year, there could have not been a better headliner on sunday night. Damn, when they played Bullet the crowd went insane.

microcuts
01-26-2008, 11:35 AM
The played "Set the Ray to Jerry" in Detroit last year. Egomaniacal attitudes and shitty album mixing aside, they'd be a great headliner.

ElBlueblazer
01-26-2008, 11:39 AM
the problem is at la invasion they needed to play a hits setlist, but they opened up with the fucking ten minute united states, and also played two other random "jams" heavy metal machine and superchrist that probably only 20 people knew. their problem is they play too many shitty jam songs that nobody wants to hear.

they did drown, today,1979, tonight,tonight and bwbw.. that was good enough 4 me.. what more do you want???do YOU want to hear BUBBLE TOEs??

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-26-2008, 11:43 AM
they did drown, today,1979, tonight,tonight and bwbw.. that was good enough 4 me.. what more do you want???do YOU want to hear BUBBLE TOEs??

at Vfest they played those + hummer, zero, stand inside and many more. It's not the best performance i have ever seen, but it was really fucking good.

BillyCrystal
01-26-2008, 11:51 AM
at this point, they'd be a welcome addition, but when it comes to reunions (or half reunions) coachella tends to get bands who have gotten back together very recently (like the pixies) or who announce getting back together just for coachella (rage, jane's)...the "reunited" pumpkins have been touring for quite some time now.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-26-2008, 11:52 AM
STP would be better

ElBlueblazer
01-26-2008, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=MassiveChemicalPunk;434213]STP would be better[/Q

SP>STP

I DID LIKE WEILAND DOING GNR SONGS WITH VR

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ SO MANY ACRONYMS..

hypervera
01-26-2008, 01:01 PM
well this time iŽd sound like a smashing hater but...

this time... Stone temple pilots> smashing pumpkins (half reunion)

nbvwes
01-30-2008, 05:20 AM
D'arcy & James really weren't that crucial... billy & jimmy wrote most of the songs themselves anyway... the new chick bassist is awesome... @ L.A. Invasion the whole crowd chanted after every new song for 'Zero' (which, to their 'indie credit', they didn't play), and yeah, they played the predictable hits... but for a rock-heavy radio fest they probably should have been playing stuff like 'Everlasting Gaze' & 'Ava Adore', and 'XYU' or 'An Ode To No One' with 'United States' toward the end of the set would be cool... if was really sad when they announced their last song ('Today') and i looked around and most of the stadium had emptied... really sad... i was up front on the floor right in front of the stage, and it was a really good show (even if their set time was cut short)... but the setlist wasn't suited to a radio festival... they should have saved their softer stuff ('To Sheila', '1979', & 'Disarm') for something like Coachella... but 'Heavy Metal Machine' was a welcome surprise...

oh, and i saw Scott Weiland & Co. right before the Pumpkins, so i can say, without a doubt that Corgan >>> Weiland

although i went for Pumpkins (and a bit for Satellite Party, Cypress Hill, Kid Rock), Foo Fighters really blew me away as having stole the show...

rAnimatorX2
01-30-2008, 06:17 AM
Yeah I saw the new Punkins in November and I thought it was pretty damn good. Granted, it was not as good as seeing their Melon Collie Tour back in like 97 or whenever, but still a damn good show.

Seeing VR tomorrow night so we'll see how good that one is!

Hawkings
01-30-2008, 06:39 AM
they went to hell after Siamese Dream

luckyface
01-30-2008, 07:45 AM
D'arcy & James really weren't that crucial... billy & jimmy wrote most of the songs themselves anyway... the new chick bassist is awesome... @ L.A. Invasion the whole crowd chanted after every new song for 'Zero' (which, to their 'indie credit', they didn't play), and yeah, they played the predictable hits... but for a rock-heavy radio fest they probably should have been playing stuff like 'XYU' and 'An Ode To No One' with 'United States' toward the end of the set... if was really sad when they announced their last song ('Today') and i looked around and most of the stadium had emptied... really sad... i was up front on the floor right in front of the stage, and it was a really good show (even if their set time was cut short)... but the setlist wasn't suited to a radio festival... they should have saved their softer stuff ('To Sheila', '1979', & 'Disarm') for something like Coachella... but 'Heavy Metal Machine' was a welcome surprise...

I was at this show, and while I liked the set, it was really an odd show. The crowd was not into it at all - I can't tell you how many times I heard "This sucks" or "That sucked" after it. The setlist was really weird, as well. I agree with most everything you have to say except for Heavy Metal Machine. Love the song on the album and when they played it back in 2000, but this version was abominable! It seriously pained me to listen to it.

BeHereNOW
01-30-2008, 08:42 AM
i catch them in dallas last year
i was not expecting anything good really when i arrived and i left very pleased

the entire concert was just great!

Hawkings
01-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Nice to hear they were good when ya saw em recently ? what was the show like ?

i was looking for my ticket stub to date myself, like a fossilized bug in amber (not a rat in a cage). I saw Smashing Pumpkins in Oct 1993 on Siamese Dream, at the Palladium. I remember D'arcy was mad and not facing the audience or interacting much with the band and the crowd was kinda rough mosh pit type scene, they kicked butt thou, sweet show.

I have no idea about anything from Machina or Ziegiest but I'd check Smashing Pumpkins out if they were added. No Iha or D'arcy but Billy was always the driving and creative force behind em, as well as doing some of their parts in the studio, but still kinda wierd.

I was looking at what they've been playing on tour to get an idea what they'd be like now, in a 2007 show they played Starla, Silverfuck, Disarm, Rocket and at another 2007 show they hit Cherub Rock and Drown, so a few songs for the old cranks like myself

paulb
01-30-2008, 03:18 PM
I saw the Pumpkins in Sept last year and it was an excellent show. 2h set, tons of songs and jams, Zero was played and I went fuckin nuts. It was alot of fun...

ElBlueblazer
01-30-2008, 07:10 PM
I FUCKING LOVE THE SMASHING PUMPKINS!!!

nbvwes
02-04-2008, 02:48 AM
yeah, i read they were doing something like 2 1/2 hour sets for their tour, but at the radio fest i saw them they got shorted with like 55 minutes, instead of the 1hr20 they were slotted for... sucked. i believe Velvet went over timewise and if i'm not mistaken Grohl was yelling at him from the side of the stage and the two briefly had words... but it's possible VR also started late for a previous band going late... idk

gratytrainridesagain
02-04-2008, 04:21 AM

As opposed to Roger Waters performing "Dark Side of the Moon".

mrdude5699
02-04-2008, 11:56 AM
I saw them at Voodoofest and i thought they sucked. I like them too...It was just boring. Rage was fucking awesome!

hypervera
02-04-2008, 11:59 AM
I saw them at Voodoofest and i thought they sucked. I like them too...It was just boring. Rage was fucking awesome!

you may like them but youŽre not a fan thats why they sucked to you

neverclever
02-04-2008, 01:23 PM
I saw one of the Fillmore shows and it fucking blew my mind and my ears... I also picked up a souvenier at the end of the show!!!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1031/1383664378_f183aaa6c0_m.jpg

ElBlueblazer
03-16-2008, 09:16 AM
still keeping my fingers crossed...

sbessiso
03-16-2008, 09:19 AM
you mean the frankenstein version of a band he calls smashing pumpkins

menikmati
03-16-2008, 09:48 AM
http://www.mikethepod.com/BIUL_Smashing_Pumpkins.jpg

Astrid
03-16-2008, 01:31 PM
eh. i saw them in june, i was fucking way stoked on it. you just have to accept that billy is an egotistical douchefuck. to billy, he IS the band, and its clearly obvious when you see them live. i feel bad for chamberlin because he rocks my world. but the two replacement people whose names i never bothered to find out were just shadowy figures in the corner...

i was watching billy from front row center, with the lights ethereally illuminating his bald shiny head, thinking "fuck, no wonder he is so full of himself..."

he made a comment that he decided to reunite the band because american idol has ruined music. and he had to save it. hahahahah. oh billy...

M Sparks
03-16-2008, 01:56 PM
coachella tends to get bands who have gotten back together very recently (like the pixies) or who announce getting back together just for coachella (rage, jane's)

Coachella was Pixies first show back aside from a warm-up or two. They didn't go on that big tour until the fall.

I was so worried that I had missed my only shot to see them. Later that year, I wound up with tickets to 2 shows in a 10 day period. (Though I only went to one.)

luckyface
03-26-2008, 10:07 AM
I am sure not many will care as there is not much love for the new incarnation of the band, but a good article about what's in the pipeline for the group can be found here (http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003741748).

Highlights:

That won't stop the band from offering unreleased music to fans before the year is out. Potentially in the pipeline are ultra-rare early Smashing Pumpkins shows, studio tracks that have never seen the light of day or alternate versions of songs from sessions that spawned classic albums like "Siamese Dream" and "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness."

After a summer break, look for the Pumpkins to return to the road in September for shows in New York, Los Angeles and its Chicago hometown.

ElBlueblazer
03-26-2008, 10:23 AM
nice! looking foward to the fall

dnbmunke
03-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Saw SP at some Kroq event at the home depot center and they sucked ass!

also saw wee man in the VIP section and that lil ***** ain't that tiny.

Dave Gravy
03-29-2008, 06:16 PM

Roger Waters, anyone?