PDA

View Full Version : Exit Plan

paganman7
01-29-2007, 01:40 PM
The most frightening thing about Coachella last year was exiting the festival grounds each night. Just imagine, tens of thousands of people trying to exit, simultaneously, through an exit no more than 20 meters wide. It took almost 45 minutes to exit last year on Sunday, during which time people were pushing, screaming, and getting upset. It was a very scary situation, and could have gotten out of control easily (luckily it didn't).

Is there a plan this year to improve the exiting strategy? We got lucky last year, but I fear that people can seriously be injured, especially after being worked up by Rage on Sunday.

hawkingvsreeve
01-29-2007, 01:47 PM
No.

amyzzz
01-29-2007, 01:55 PM
It would be nice this year if Rage played 2nd to last slot so we could get all the Rage fans outta there earlier.

C DUB YA
01-29-2007, 01:56 PM
HEY PF, any news on this? - I am slightly concerned - seriously.

Is GV working on it?

C DUB YA
01-29-2007, 01:57 PM
I mean you know how many people are going to try and squeeze out after the last act - the festival should be ready for it.

Pretty please?

JohnJohnIII
01-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah what was that about? First time in 5 years that happened.

shmamber
01-29-2007, 02:08 PM
I've seriously found that every year I've gone (04, 05, 06), the exit situation has gotten better and better.

In 04 I couldn't believe the insanity that I saw leaving the parking lot. Or not leaving the parking lot. Or people sleeping in the parking lot because that's how much their cars were moving.

In my opinion ,every year it has gotten better!

JustSteve
01-29-2007, 02:46 PM
i just walk backstage to the artist parking and hop in my car and cruise to the freeway in about 15 minutes, never had a problem :laughyou

paganman7
01-29-2007, 02:57 PM
i just walk backstage to the artist parking and hop in my car and cruise to the freeway in about 15 minutes, never had a problem :laughyou

Isn't the artists' trailer on the oppposite side of the polo grounds from the parking lot? When facing the main stage, the parking lot is about 500 meters BEHIND you.

JustSteve
01-29-2007, 03:17 PM
actually, artist parking is pretty much directly behind the mainstage...

Meadowsmeister
01-29-2007, 03:27 PM
i plan on being airlifted out.

bmack86
01-29-2007, 03:29 PM
It would be nice this year if Rage played 2nd to last slot so we could get all the Rage fans outta there earlier.

I could see that happening, actually

york707
01-29-2007, 03:32 PM
I've seriously found that every year I've gone (04, 05, 06), the exit situation has gotten better and better.

You obvisouly didn't leave after the Daft Punk performance. It was completely packed and funnelled to one exit.

It took almost 45 minutes to exit last year on Sunday, during which time people were pushing, screaming, and getting upset.

Hmmm.... could that be because Tool had just played? On Saturday, the crowd was much thicker to get out after Daft Punk than it was on Sunday after Tool, but NOBODY got frustrated or upset. I suppose everyone was in such a good mood from that show.... Can you imgine all the raging rager of rage fans that had just been raging at a raging rage show trying to get out?

Rezzo
01-29-2007, 03:32 PM
You better make your face up,
In your favorite disguise,
With your button-down lips,
And your roller blind eyes.
With your empty smile,
And your hungry heart,
Feel the bile rising,
From your guilty past.
With your nerves in tatters,
As the cockleshell shatters,
And the hammers batter,
Down your door,
You better run.

You better run all day,
And run all night.
And keep your dirty feelings deep inside.
And if youre taking your girlfriend out tonight,
You better park the car well out of sight.
cause if they catch you in the back seat,
Trying to pick her locks,
Theyre gonna send you back to mother,
In a cardboard box.
You better run!

Meadowsmeister
01-29-2007, 03:33 PM
i plan on being airlifted out.

york707
01-29-2007, 03:38 PM

You obvisouly didn't leave after the Daft Punk performance. It was completely packed and funnelled to one exit.

It took almost 45 minutes to exit last year on Sunday, during which time people were pushing, screaming, and getting upset.

Hmmm.... could that be because Tool had just played? On Saturday, the crowd was much thicker to get out after Daft Punk than it was on Sunday after Tool, but NOBODY got frustrated or upset. I suppose everyone was in such a good mood from that show.... Can you imgine all the raging rager of rage fans that had just been raging at a raging rage show trying to get out?

durrrrrrrrdee
01-29-2007, 04:08 PM
i dont use the monroe exit. its always got the longest lines. as well as the front of the parking lots, park in the back as its closer to actually exiting.

i used a back way we found and last year there was no wait in, or out.
oh yea!!

msivy
01-29-2007, 04:23 PM
in '04 i got out the door pretty quickly but we couldn't get the car out til 5am. it was so bad we didn't even try to leave til 4am, we just slept in the car for a few hours. i have no problems just laying my fatass down on a towel somewhere and waiting til it clears up.

theaenimatool
01-29-2007, 07:27 PM
in 2005 nin played 3rd to last, there was still the faint and bright eyes on the second stage afterwards. so after bright eyes ended, it was extremely easy to get out. LAST YEAR, however, after tool played it took close to an hour just to get to the parking lot.

vinylmartyr
01-29-2007, 07:31 PM
If anyone remembers a golf cart driving through the crowd exiting Sunday last year i'm sorry it was necessary. It was a nightmare.

paganman7
01-30-2007, 09:33 AM
If anyone remembers a golf cart driving through the crowd exiting Sunday last year i'm sorry it was necessary. It was a nightmare.

I do actually! I also remember a hoard of people trying to stay behind it as the cart cleared the way.