PDA

View Full Version : TOM PETTY

JoeClark5
01-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are touring starting may 30th....

Coachella should hook that up... that would be unreal.

PassiveTheory
02-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Post-Super Bowl performance I would welcome Tom and co. to next year's event as a "veteran" headliner.

hypervera
02-03-2008, 05:46 PM
boring

GnarVee
02-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Id be down........SMOKE BOWLS!!!

bartelby
02-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Post-Super Bowl performance I would welcome Tom and co. to next year's event as a "veteran" headliner.

he seemed solid, if not unspectacular....i'd probably go and watch him play (assuming no major conflicts)

Memorial_07
02-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Eh...he wasn't too impressive at Superbowl.
Prince blew him away.
But how obvious could that've been?

hypervera
02-03-2008, 08:42 PM
yeah man. prince did a better performance

goodgrl
02-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Prince was way more energetic, but petty put on a solid performance.

hypervera
02-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Prince was way more energetic, but petty put on a solid performance.

well so prince was more energetic and solid :thu

CaliMag
02-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Tom Petty and Roger Waters... we might as well rename the festival Bonarella

boarderwoozel3
02-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Tom petty was great during halftime. I'd love it if he played coachella. The drawback is he would only add to the already crazy conflicts on the horizon.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-04-2008, 07:24 AM
meh....

gaypalmsprings
02-04-2008, 07:35 AM
It was very windy is Palm Springs & the cable connection went down during the 2nd quarter, so I missed the rest of the game, including halftime. Tom Petty is great, & I will be seeing him at the Hollywood Bowl & Verizon in Irvine this year.

JustSteve
02-04-2008, 07:41 AM
verizon tix on sale today at 10am...that performance kinda underwhelmed me, i would rather save money to put towards rem. tix for petty at the bowl are pretty expensive. even the back sections were coming up at $65/piece. verizon looks to be the same.

edit: for some reason ticketmaster is already selling them, even though it says on that page that they are onsale at 10am on 2/4...hmm??? same with the bowl...

SnowShoe
02-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Eh...he wasn't too impressive at Superbowl.
Prince blew him away.
But how obvious could that've been?

Agreed. For all the doubters, watch this link:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14xwu_miami-rain-via-virtualmatter_events

Tom Petty was dull and probably lip-synched the first song. Backing tracks were pre-recorded for sure.

I saw Petty at the Bowl last year, so I'm a fan of sorts. But you just can't compare the two. Although Petty fans smoke more pot.

scoop49er
02-04-2008, 09:32 AM
prince is better than everyone so no reason to even compare... tom peety is however a excellent live performer. his backup band the heartbreakers are so fucking solid. the performance was good. would love to see him again soon. does a great job live. he isnt a song and dance man. just a straight forward rock and roll guy. its all good.

MarkO
02-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Very strongly considering going to see him at The Gorge .... what a backdrop for a show of his.

BillyCrystal
02-04-2008, 10:37 AM
was he lip syncing at the super bowl? i thought he sounded great, and i would totally want to see him at coachella.

daft$tar
02-04-2008, 04:22 PM
id be down if it was 1995

Cdubby
02-04-2008, 05:29 PM
booooringggggg, every middle aged soccer mom is bumping tom petty and the heartbreakers greatest hits.

Sexecutioner
02-04-2008, 05:51 PM
i just got tix for his irvine meadows show this morning. should be a good time.

Weeping Willow
02-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are touring starting may 30th....

Coachella should hook that up... that would be unreal.

I've got nothing against Tom Petty but at Coachella? seriously? no way. Maybe if they create a dad-rock stage.

on a side note, did anyone notice all those paid "fans" jumping up and down to his show at the Superbowl? that's so bizarre. As if we are supposed to believe thousands of 20 year olds are really digging this Tom Petty set enough to jump up and down in elation for the whole set. This is a humorous article on the subject http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/tom_petty_to_play_some_new

JustSteve
02-04-2008, 08:03 PM
usually those kids are invited from local charities in the area. i got to be out on the field when michael jackson performed at the super bowl in pasadena years ago. it was actually really cool, we got to go up the the rose bowl a week beforehand and walk around down on the field, and on game day had awesome seats to watch the game and also got to be a part of the spectacle.

michael invited me back to his house afterwards, but i was stupid and said "no". passed up millions and millions of dollars, dammit!(not really)

i got to go to the super bowl in san diego, as well. was offered $6000 for my ticket outside of the stadium, but had to turn it down since the ticket was provided by a family friend who happened to be the announcer for the telecast on nbc.

i have learned it is better to watch it at home, though.

binary solo
02-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I've got nothing against Tom Petty but at Coachella? seriously? no way. Maybe if they create a dad-rock stage.

on a side note, did anyone notice all those paid "fans" jumping up and down to his show at the Superbowl? that's so bizarre. As if we are supposed to believe thousands of 20 year olds are really digging this Tom Petty set enough to jump up and down in elation for the whole set. This is a humorous article on the subject http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/tom_petty_to_play_some_new

yeah, i was kinda wondering why the cameras kept showing energetic kids who obviously didn't even know the lyrics they were trying to sing.

betao
02-04-2008, 08:26 PM
haha I also thought that... I was like do these people even know who Tom Petty is?

hypervera
02-04-2008, 09:22 PM
haha I also thought that... I was like do these people even know who Tom Petty is?

yeah those kids look like fall out boy or britney spears fans

Weeping Willow
02-04-2008, 11:52 PM
i got to go to the super bowl in san diego, as well. was offered $6000 for my ticket outside of the stadium, but had to turn it down since the ticket was provided by a family friend who happened to be the announcer for the telecast on nbc.

i have learned it is better to watch it at home, though.

whoah, you're friends with Dick Enberg? nice.

TheWatcher
02-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Agreed. For all the doubters, watch this link:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14xwu_miami-rain-via-virtualmatter_events

meh. I can't really say from this video clip, as the quality is not the best. The manic dancers kind of detract from the performance, but maybe it's just me.

Tom Petty was dull and probably lip-synched the first song. Backing tracks were pre-recorded for sure.

It didn't look to me as if he was lip-synching, and it did not sound dull at all. Is it just me, or is he starting to sound a little like Bob Dylan?

I saw Petty at the Bowl last year, so I'm a fan of sorts. But you just can't compare the two. Although Petty fans smoke more pot.

Probably.

The problem with the Super Bowl shows is the whole Super Bowl thing is so cheesy. I think it's difficult for the performers to play with any dignity. [refer to Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction]

humanoid
02-05-2008, 02:16 PM
I was covering my eyes the whole time just in case of a Tom Petty "wardrobe Malfunction" I don't need to see anything of 60ish rockers accidentally bursting out!

humanoid
02-05-2008, 02:17 PM
meh. I can't really say from this video clip, as the quality is not the best. The manic dancers kind of detract from the performance, but maybe it's just me.

It didn't look to me as if he was lip-synching, and it did not sound dull at all. Is it just me, or is he starting to sound a little like Bob Dylan?

Probably.

The problem with the Super Bowl shows is the whole Super Bowl thing is so cheesy. I think it's difficult for the performers to play with any dignity. [refer to Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction]

To me, Tom Petty has always sounded a little like Dylan

Sexecutioner
02-05-2008, 02:19 PM
To me, Tom Petty has always sounded a little like Dylan

i agree. his vocal style, at least. not his music though.

humanoid
02-05-2008, 02:22 PM
i agree. his vocal style, at least. not his music though.

yeah, that's what I meant

DrDank551
02-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Tom Petty seen him, for Coachella, No Thanks

M Sparks
02-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Petty sounded fine at Superbowl. But I kept thinking "Has he done NOTHING new in the last 18 years?" Coulda played that set in '91, would have been exactly the same.

Except for his "GREAT BIG BUSHY BEARD"

kroqken
03-10-2008, 04:57 PM
I wanted to see Tom Petty a couple of years ago ONLY because the Strokes opened up for him.