PDA

View Full Version : To Rent a Car, or not to rent a car?

SecretPrescription
01-25-2008, 06:16 AM
I'm flying from NYC into PSP, and debating whether or not to rent a car.

Pros/Cons ?

Fill me in yallll

Melanie.Dawn
01-25-2008, 06:24 AM
We are flying in and we are for sure, 100% renting a car. I think the pros and cons are pretty obvious... freedom vs money.

We are getting there a week early though, so it's probably different if you'r just going for Coachella... then you probably wouldn't need a car.

faxman75
01-25-2008, 06:24 AM
Well, they certainly make the commute to Indio a whole lot easier. I mean, unless you like huge cab fairs or walking for a number of hours.

faxman75
01-25-2008, 06:25 AM
then you probably wouldn't need a car.

How would you get to and from the fest without the car?

SecretPrescription
01-25-2008, 06:27 AM
there are no buses? cabs are that expensive?

last year we flew into ONT, and obviously needed a car.

i figured PSP was close enough that I didn't. but what the fuck do i know.

Cancersticks1
01-25-2008, 06:30 AM
actually, even if you are just going for the festival, a car is definitely worth it. Main reason CASES OF WATER. the last couple years weve gone we rented a car and between ourselves and neighboring tents bought something like 10-15 cases of bottled water, and went through them easy. And since water in the festival is like 2 dollars a bottle, whereas a case of water was something like 5 dollars? Beyond that, it's nice to be able to go out and get breakfest somewhere, bring in cheap food, and just sit in the air conditioning.

faxman75
01-25-2008, 06:36 AM
there are no buses?

Not that I know of.....I guess it's possible but i'm guessing it's at a huge fee.

cabs are that expensive?

It depends on what you think is expensive I guess but I would assume it's at least $50 each way if not more. Palm Springs is a good 30 minutes and then the traffic? You are taking some chances there.

Cancersticks1
01-25-2008, 06:40 AM
our first year we flew into lax, took a shuttle to the la bus station, bus to indio walk to the hotel, and shuttle into the festival = nightmare on wheels. add to that the trip back and greyhound overbooking every bus and keeping everyone waiting in the station panicking that theyll miss their flight while there apparently 2 active buses shuttle back and forth. never again.

MarkO
01-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Get a car. It's worth it just to have a cooler of cold drinks in the truk when you come out at night after the festival.

SecretPrescription
01-25-2008, 06:54 AM
looks like a car it will be then. now i just need some people to split it with..

shitty thing about this lineup is that none of my friends want to go this year. last year it was all "YES RAGE, I'M IN!"

now it's like "who's kraftwerk?"

Memorial_07
01-26-2008, 07:41 AM
does it matter?
your going to be in traffic anyways.

goodgrl
01-26-2008, 11:05 PM
car.

boarderwoozel3
01-26-2008, 11:26 PM
looks like a car it will be then. now i just need some people to split it with..

shitty thing about this lineup is that none of my friends want to go this year. last year it was all "YES RAGE, I'M IN!"

now it's like "who's kraftwerk?"

I hear that. I think this means I have lame friends...:mad:

fiopadp7791
02-03-2008, 05:31 AM
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15443

C DUB YA
02-04-2008, 04:56 AM
rent a car

ayates
02-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Rent a giant SUV.

fiopadp7791
02-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Rent a giant SUV.

Those and vans cost significantly more than renting your basic sedan, but if you have enoughpeople to offset the costs it's worth it.

Todfilm
02-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Oh and after you park, make sure you know exactly where you parked your car. Take a picture, count the number of cars between you and the fence. Whatever you gotta do to remember where you parked. The last thing you want it to be wandering around the parking lot, exhausted and trying to find your car.

stewboss
02-10-2008, 07:38 AM
I'd love to think there are alternatives, but I can't fathom coachella without wheels.

beckylyn
02-10-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm flying from NYC into PSP, and debating whether or not to rent a car.

Pros/Cons ?

Fill me in yallll

i think you are flying into palm springs, so here's my answer based on that. the cab fare will cost you $40-60 bucks from the airport to indio. if you're camping offsite at a place lots of other coachella goers camp, people will give you a ride. we met a totally cool group of guys from germany last year that we drove to the festival each day. i don't think you really NEED a car, but if you want to be able to drive around before the festival, go to target, get breakfast, etc. you might want to rent one. if the car is a money thing, don't bother renting one. the taxes and fees on rental cars in cali are outrageous!

if you camp at the best western they offered a bus to the festival last year (and i bet you could get on even if you didn't camp there).