PDA

View Full Version : is it a west coast thing or what?

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:01 PM
but most of u have really bad taste in EDM.....sasha and digweed=boring fatboyslim=just a name not really a talent.....your taste in dnb is fucking clownstep or jump up......just awful, i dont get it

anti-square
01-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Enlighten me on this clownstep you speak of...

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:08 PM
clownstep.....pendulum, deiselboy,ak1200 such like that....just wack dnb, the list could go on forever....

Trick Loves The Kids
01-24-2008, 07:09 PM
well seeing as you are at the center of the american dance music scene (milwaukee, wisconsin) can you please enlighten us?

malcolmjamalawesome
01-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Oh my god i can't wait to hear what HEADSTRUCK listens to. There's going to be blood in the raver waters.

Truta
01-24-2008, 07:13 PM
well seeing as you are at the center of the american dance music scene (milwaukee, wisconsin) can you please enlighten us?

That's funny... please enlighten us with your playlist...

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:14 PM
would u like me to give u some much better acts to listen to? name the style of edm and i will be more then happy to give u some names...

i am not trying to be a dick but i just dont get the draw with some of these. i have been djing and producing for 10 years so it doesnt matter where i live but i do have a great deal of knowledge in edm

malcolmjamalawesome
01-24-2008, 07:15 PM
BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

depechemodekraftwerk
01-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Being in the middle of any music scene anywhere does not make u hip or unhip...

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:16 PM
BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

what r u listening to a sasha digweed mix?

coldstart
01-24-2008, 07:18 PM
If you don't like it, don't go. Simple. Delete.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-24-2008, 07:19 PM
I'd rather listen to sasha & digweed interviewed about their thoughts on paul van dyk than you.

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:20 PM
look at these guys u worship for example

i love them 2 but they are not god
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJPdVVOmbz4

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:21 PM
I'd rather listen to sasha & digweed interviewed about their thoughts on paul van dyk than you.

haha....another example of bad music PVD

Truta
01-24-2008, 07:21 PM
delete it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it, rip it,
Drag and drop it, zip - unzip it,
Lock it, fill it, call it, find it,
View it, code it, jam - unlock it,
Surf it, scroll it, pause it, click it,
Cross it, crack it, switch - update it,
Name it, rate it, tune it, print it,
Scan it, send it, fax - rename it,
Touch it, bring it, Pay it, watch it,
Turn it, leave it, start - format it.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Look, my friend Dave Wang and I aren't any more into 90's trance than you are, but railing against people's "taste" in edm is just boring and tired.

And I can't believe you went after the robots.

anti-square
01-24-2008, 07:23 PM
What is your argument? Sampling has to do with what again?

Bud Luster
01-24-2008, 07:24 PM
clownstep.....pendulum, deiselboy,ak1200 such like that....just wack dnb, the list could go on forever....

actually DSL does not play or produce "clownstep" - he doesnt even play wobble for fucks sake. And ak 1200 pretty much strays away from it too. The "clownstep" influence in some Pendulum tunes comes from producing w/ Fresh of BadCoUK on the breakbeat chaos label. If you think Fresh sucks, you just dont know DNB.

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:25 PM

breakbeats: plump djs,autobots,aquasky,fartooloud,screwface.kraftyku ts
dnb:dylan,tech itch, evol intent,the upbeats,gein
techno:ben sims,marco corolo,ritche hawtin
thats just a few artist that are way better then sasha and digweed or fatboy

thelastgreatman
01-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Um, Sasha and Digweed blew up because they fucking destroyed it in the hayday of the NY megaclubs in the late 90s. And they did in fact destroy it--I was there. Recently they started getting too old and baked (that's what happens when you try to write your new album in Amsterdam) and released some ambient crap.

woogie846
01-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Being in the middle of any music scene anywhere does not make u hip or unhip...

This is the first comment that depechemodekraftwerk has ever made that I respect.

thelastgreatman
01-24-2008, 07:28 PM
You're aware that none of those acts are well known enough to headline the tent, right? Does no one appreciate the fact that Coachella has to make a few concessions to popularity in the headlining acts so that people who aren't fanatical music enthusiasts will still recognize the names and want to see them (see: RHCP, Rage, Jack Johnson, Fatboy Slim)

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:29 PM
actually DSL does not play or produce "clownstep" - he doesnt even play wobble for fucks sake. And ak 1200 pretty much strays away from it too. The "clownstep" influence in some Pendulum tunes comes from producing w/ Fresh of BadCoUK on the breakbeat chaos label. If you think Fresh sucks, you just dont know DNB.

its clownstep and jumpup...either is bad in my book.....bad company is what ur talking bout? bad company was the shit was they were around....fresh is a huge talent but fails to show up at gigs as of late

gratytrainridesagain
01-24-2008, 07:30 PM
OMG gein I remember sein him out in wis awhile back nothing I'd consider great but like I always say to each his own

Bud Luster
01-24-2008, 07:31 PM
S&D = over. Fatboy tunes are probably more than just a little long in the tooth as well, his set at Global in 06 was fucking garbage, but I had so much fun the last time I saw him that I gotta give it another shot.

headstrucl calls some shit boring then lists Plump DJ's, Aquasky, and Kraftykuts. Theres a fucking reason evol intent cant get "over the hump" as well. The other DNB it mentioned is good shit though...

coldstart
01-24-2008, 07:32 PM
look at these guys u worship for example

i love them 2 but they are not god
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJPdVVOmbz4

Wow, that's neat! I never really cared for Daft Punk too much but seeing that gives me a new respect for them. I didn't hear anyone calling them god.

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:32 PM
You're aware that none of those acts are well known enough to headline the tent, right? Does no one appreciate the fact that Coachella has to make a few concessions to popularity in the headlining acts so that people who aren't fanatical music enthusiasts will still recognize the names and want to see them (see: RHCP, Rage, Jack Johnson, Fatboy Slim)

if u go overseas plump djs and aquasky are HUGE acts.....i seen evol intent at demf last year in front of 80,000 people so dont say they arent big enuf names....i get why they are booked, they are big names for mainstream people. i dont care about names its about talent to me....

coldstart
01-24-2008, 07:33 PM
breakbeats: plump djs,autobots,aquasky,fartooloud,screwface.kraftyku ts
dnb:dylan,tech itch, evol intent,the upbeats,gein
techno:ben sims,marco corolo,ritche hawtin
thats just a few artist that are way better then sasha and digweed or fatboy

People are allowed to have different tastes unless you are a self-centered three year old.

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Wow, that's neat! I never really cared for Daft Punk too much but seeing that gives me a new respect for them. I didn't hear anyone calling them god.

i am not saying u but most people on this board think that the world is based on daft punk. that gives u more respect for them know they cant make their own synth line?

Bud Luster
01-24-2008, 07:34 PM
its clownstep and jumpup...either is bad in my book.....bad company is what ur talking bout? bad company was the shit was they were around....fresh is a huge talent but fails to show up at gigs as of late

clownstep is not the fucking same as jump up (maybe you weren't saying that) fuck the fucking subgenre argument anyway. And Fresh absolutely killed shit in LA this summer w/ his LIVE show. DJ's not showing up at gigs, whats fucking new. Who wants to play a gig in WI anyway.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-24-2008, 07:36 PM
if u go overseas plump djs and aquasky are HUGE acts.....i seen evol intent at demf last year in front of 80,000 people so dont say they arent big enuf names....i get why they are booked, they are big names for mainstream people. i dont care about names its about talent to me....

Maybe you should go overseas. Forever.

thelastgreatman

Overseas is a different matter. EDM is much, much bigger there. Fatboy played to 250,000 supposedly last year at Brighton Beach. That equivocates to a hopeful crowd of maybe 20,000 at Coachella. So, you see why it's kinda necessary to throw a couple acts that might not be that great in there so that the rest of the lineup can be what they'd really want and the festival will still sell tickets.

HEADSTRUCK
People are allowed to have different tastes unless you are a self-centered three year old.

i undestand that but its just sad to see people worship talentless acts that cost 2 much money. u can sit here and insult me if you would like but i am just try'n to get a good convo going.

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Maybe you should go overseas. Forever.

haha...u can do better then that i hope............WEAK SAUCE

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Overseas is a different matter. EDM is much, much bigger there. Fatboy played to 250,000 supposedly last year at Brighton Beach. That equivocates to a hopeful crowd of maybe 20,000 at Coachella. So, you see why it's kinda necessary to throw a couple acts that might not be that great in there so that the rest of the lineup can be what they'd really want and the festival will still sell tickets.

demf is in detriot

thelastgreatman
01-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Right. What is demf? Is it, say, a fucking EDM fest perhaps?

gratytrainridesagain
DEMF is also free and almost on it's last limb

HEADSTRUCK

dont get me wrong i understand why they book them its the part of all of u loving it so much i dont get

gratytrainridesagain
01-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Detroit
Electronic
Music
Festival

thelastgreatman
Who says we love them? Maybe you're assuming a bit too much.

HEADSTRUCK
DEMF is also free and almost on it's last limb

demf was free up until 3 years ago........80,000 people is not its last limb

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Who says we love them? Maybe you're assuming a bit too much.

i am not speaking of all of you. i just read alot on these boards without posting 2 much and that what i hear alot

gratytrainridesagain
01-24-2008, 07:44 PM
40,000 last year. I say they're on their last limb only because they keep firing and rehiring people usually whom seem to be less and less experienced each year

thelastgreatman
01-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Lots of people are tasteless. Lots of people on these boards don't like Pink Floyd either. You might be one of them. Hey, here's an idea: lots of people are fucking dumbshits in most respects. That's no reason to go starting threads about it and attributing it to the west coast, although the west coast does suck.

But also, EDM sucks almost entirely. So, blah.

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:48 PM
clownstep is not the fucking same as jump up (maybe you weren't saying that) fuck the fucking subgenre argument anyway. And Fresh absolutely killed shit in LA this summer w/ his LIVE show. DJ's not showing up at gigs, whats fucking new. Who wants to play a gig in WI anyway.

haha i wasnt talking bout a show here in wi...funny though.....fresh gets my nod for sure. i was saying clownstep and jump up not clownstep is jump up....

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:49 PM
40,000 last year. I say they're on their last limb only because they keep firing and rehiring people usually whom seem to be less and less experienced each year

paxahau has been running it the last 3 years since may gave it up...i was there and there was way more then that

Bud Luster
01-24-2008, 07:51 PM
haha i wasnt talking bout a show here in wi...funny though.....fresh gets my nod for sure. i was saying clownstep and jump up not clownstep is jump up....

Its cool. I think perhaps you ARE assuming too much. Yes people here loooove DP, but as far S&D and Fatboy - not so much.

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Lots of people are tasteless. Lots of people on these boards don't like Pink Floyd either. You might be one of them. Hey, here's an idea: lots of people are fucking dumbshits in most respects. That's no reason to go starting threads about it and attributing it to the west coast, although the west coast does suck.

But also, EDM sucks almost entirely. So, blah.

i am not tryn to pick a fight with the west coast just wonding if thats what u guys like....???... i lived in socal until i was 19 and i just didnt seem to know people that listen to some of that crap

insbordnat
01-24-2008, 07:52 PM

Um, Plump DJs and Aquasky are HUGE in LA. Just listen to most local breaks djs. Just because they aren't here doesn't mean they aren't played (or played out, for that matter).

There's a reason why Daft are big. Not because they ripped off Breakwater or Birdsong or the Imperials (or ELO and others) it's because they did it well enough that people didn't know the originals (either due to obsurity or them slicing the shit outta the sample). You could do the same thing with any sample heavy artists (Fatboy, DJ Shadow, etc.). Your little expose may make some fans say "WTF, they're ripping off shit!". But you try doing what they do. With original samples. Setting up a live show.

Fuckstick, what makes you think "we" don't know electronic music? Before you spew your bourgeoisie psychobabble again, think about it this way - When Fatboy played here last (2001), he TORE the place up. I think his recent work is total garbage, but his live shows are still strong. Just because you may not like it, or you think it is too mainstream, but they are trying to sell tix too.

I will pass on S&D because their stuff totally bores me. But they're still respected DJs, and ya gotta give them credit.

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Its cool. I think perhaps you ARE assuming too much. Yes people here loooove DP, but as far S&D and Fatboy - not so much.

thank you for not being a dick and having a convo.....i just think people should be exposed to more then the BIG name headliners that cost more then they are worth

PrettyRagdoll
01-24-2008, 07:54 PM
delete it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it, rip it,
Drag and drop it, zip - unzip it,
Lock it, fill it, call it, find it,
View it, code it, jam - unlock it,
Surf it, scroll it, pause it, click it,
Cross it, crack it, switch - update it,
Name it, rate it, tune it, print it,
Scan it, send it, fax - rename it,
Touch it, bring it, Pay it, watch it,
Turn it, leave it, start - format it.

This just took me back to Vegoose. Good times

insbordnat
01-24-2008, 07:56 PM
And by the way, what's up with Bad Boy Bill playing the DEMF? You guys must really not know electronic music.

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Um, Plump DJs and Aquasky are HUGE in LA. Just listen to most local breaks djs. Just because they aren't here doesn't mean they aren't played (or played out, for that matter).

There's a reason why Daft are big. Not because they ripped off Breakwater or Birdsong or the Imperials (or ELO and others) it's because they did it well enough that people didn't know the originals (either due to obsurity or them slicing the shit outta the sample). You could do the same thing with any sample heavy artists (Fatboy, DJ Shadow, etc.). Your little expose may make some fans say "WTF, they're ripping off shit!". But you try doing what they do. With original samples. Setting up a live show.

Fuckstick, what makes you think "we" don't know electronic music? Before you spew your bourgeoisie psychobabble again, think about it this way - When Fatboy played here last (2001), he TORE the place up. I think his recent work is total garbage, but his live shows are still strong. Just because you may not like it, or you think it is too mainstream, but they are trying to sell tix too.

I will pass on S&D because their stuff totally bores me. But they're still respected DJs, and ya gotta give them credit.

i agree 100%(besides the fuckstick part). this was the kind of response i was looking for.

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:58 PM
And by the way, what's up with Bad Boy Bill playing the DEMF? You guys must really not know electronic music.

haha....i didnt book the event.....hardfloor played during him so i was watchin them

Bud Luster
01-24-2008, 08:02 PM
i just think people should be exposed to more then the BIG name headliners that cost more then they are worth

You got it, that's what Coachella is all about.

waxybk
01-24-2008, 08:03 PM
paxahau has been running it the last 3 years since may gave it up...i was there and there was way more then that

I used to go to DEMF for years. When it was free. DEMF It has fallen off in the recent years. In my opinion dance music in general has just fallen off. Don't get me wrong there are A LOT of good djs/producers still left out there, but it has. Being a part of the NYC club scene forever, I've seen it in front of my very eyes. There were times when you had to make hard decisions as to who to go out and see. Do you go to Tunnel, do you go to Limelight, do you go to Twilo...then you have raves and outlaws. It was fucking nuts with all the EDM you had to choose from. Now you have these lame ass mega clubs with lame ass djs and fucking stupid guidos.

Some people don't know about a lot of artists out there that might, in your opinion, be better than the names that are being dropped. But instead of coming in here with your hard on, shitting on people who actually like the names they drop, enlighten people. I've been djing for about 10 years myself, also producing tracks myself too. But I would never come in and disrespect people's taste in music, rather share my discoveries with people. One thing I like about this board is the fact that so many people are all about hearing new shit.

Now, I don't like all of the dance music thats on the roster, but obviously people do. Otherwise they wouldn't be getting bookings up the ass.

Now talking about European dance music....thats another thread in itself.

insbordnat
01-24-2008, 08:06 PM
For the record, Dilinja and Lemon D kicked ass when they played here. I was hoping for some good grimey UK jungle this year damnit.

insbordnat
01-24-2008, 08:09 PM
And thinking about it, you can catch some great DJs at the DoLab again (in the middle of Coachella). Hopefully they'll be back.

waxybk
01-24-2008, 08:11 PM
And thinking about it, you can catch some great DJs at the DoLab again (in the middle of Coachella). Hopefully they'll be back.

I think I caught some random dj set last year....we met up with another group of friends that traveled from the east coast. I didn't expect such dope beats. Pleasantly suprised!

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 08:12 PM
For the record, Dilinja and Lemon D kicked ass when they played here. I was hoping for some good grimey UK jungle this year damnit.

that i would be more then happy with...u should check out dylan and tech itch if u like dirty uk....

waxybk
01-24-2008, 08:15 PM
that i would be more then happy with...u should check out dylan and tech itch if u like dirty uk....

both superb choices

ShyGuy75
01-24-2008, 08:31 PM
what is edm?