PDA

View Full Version : $40 in service fees.

kreutz2112
01-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Tickets (Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival - 3 DAY PASS)
3 Day (Fri-Sat-Sun) General Admission Presale US $249.00 x 1
Total Building Facility Charge(s) US $12.00
Total Convenience Charge(s) US $21.60

Order Processing Charge(s) US $5.10
TicketFast Delivery
We'll e-mail you a link to your ticket(s). To pick them up, simply log in, print them out and present them at the venue.
US $2.50

TOTAL CHARGES US $290.20

morphous12
01-24-2008, 09:08 AM

TicketFast Delivery
We'll e-mail you a link to your ticket(s). To pick them up, simply log in, print them out and present them at the venue.
US $2.50

TOTAL CHARGES US $290.20

Yep...I just got mine.

Aren't you glad you didn't pay the $269.00 price?
That would have taken us to about $310.00.

PassiveTheory
01-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I am too...

Still that's all going towards the 55$ camping expenses...

faxman75
01-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Ticketmaster is not responsible for at least $15 of those fees. The building facility fee is not theirs and you chose E-Tickets. You could have had them mailed for free.

The convenience chare of 21.60 doesn't even always go 100% to ticketmaster. It's a fee negotiated with the promoter ie; Goldenvoice. Ticketmaster probably does get about 90% of that service fee though.

Just wanted to point out it's not all ticketmasters fault.

Boourns
01-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Building facility fee: $12.00

I didn't know there were any buildings in the polo fields.

psycobetabuckdown
01-24-2008, 09:10 AM
You could've used standard mail delivery for free and it would have been $287.

LarbFlonsen
01-24-2008, 09:12 AM

It helps pay for the inflateable pig.

jayce
01-24-2008, 09:13 AM

TicketFast Delivery
US $2.50

TOTAL CHARGES US $290.20

why didn't you just choose the free mailing option?
the event's in april.

full on idle
You purchased 1 ticket to:
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival - 3 DAY PASS
Empire Polo Field, Indio, CA
Fri, Apr 25, 2008 - Sun, Apr 27, 2008

Seat location: section GA6
Total Charge: US $ 287.70

McAwesome
If we wait till tomorrow and go to the Glasshouse do we still get charged the convenience fee?

And did anyone see the option for camping?

luckyface
01-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Wow did anyone notice ticket insurance being available for $6.00? That is actually a really cool idea for future shows. I wonder how much proof you need to show in order to get your money back, though.

Boourns
01-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Standard mail is highly unreliable. Worry about when or if the tickets will ever arive and dealing with the drama of getting replacements if they don't (will-call time!) or pay $2.50 for peace of mind.

I have Radiohead tickets to get, if those are ever announced, so I can't afford to spare $2.50 for peace of mind.

shotglass75
01-24-2008, 09:15 AM
I expected as much so whatever but if Lollapalooza can have a pre sale on 3 day passes for $60 bucks without a service charge at all, Coachella could do a presale on 3 day passes for at least somewhere between $150 and $200. i understand the sponsorship difference but still.

tyles
01-24-2008, 09:15 AM
You could've used standard mail delivery for free and it would have been $287.

That's exactly what I did. I always have my tickets sent standard mail when possible ( which is what I did for every show last year, except Justice at the Fonda, which I had to do will call only because I'm a cheap-o ).

aphrael
01-24-2008, 09:16 AM
I used ticketfast because that means I don't have to hang on to pieces of paper until April; I can store the files on my hard drive and print them out in April.

That's worth $2.50 to me.

The other fees, though ... I wouldn't mind if they were just bundled in the ticket price, but the fact that they're unbundled and added on later pisses me off: it means that what I expect to pay and what I *do* pay are almost completely unrelated.

Basskitten85
01-24-2008, 09:16 AM
SAd not much of a discount eh..so pathetic

faxman75
01-24-2008, 09:17 AM
If you understand the sponsorship difference there is no "but still".

Advertising dollars are HUGE!

coldstart
01-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Standard mail is highly unreliable. Worry about when or if the tickets will ever arive and dealing with the drama of getting replacements if they don't (will-call time!) or pay $2.50 for peace of mind.

I have Radiohead tickets to get, if those are ever announced, so I can't afford to spare $2.50 for peace of mind.

I _always_ get tickets shipped to me via Standard Mail for any event I'm going to and I've never had a problem.

KungFuJoe
01-24-2008, 09:18 AM
if you're purchasing the minimum of two tickets using standard mail it comes to $570.30, which is 285.15 each. That means they're about the same as getting tix at Glasshouse or Fingerprints. Might as well get them while they're hot.

neverclever
Standard mail is fine this far ahead of time. If you don't get your tickets with a month to go you can tell ticketmaster, they void the old ones and you get new ones....... and you don't have to pay any "insurance" fees or the highly retarded $2.50 charge to PRINT THEM OUT YOURSELF... you're paying to do more work!

luckyface
TicketFast is kind of annoying now. You have to login to TM to print off tickets. If you need to sell them, in becomes a royal pain in the ass.

amyzzz
01-24-2008, 09:19 AM
I spent $570.30 on 2 tickets. I would have saved only 30 cents if I did the Glasshouse thing. This rules.

I'm getting mine in standard mail. I have had no trouble with getting tickets mailed thusfar.

Boourns
01-24-2008, 09:21 AM
I _always_ get tickets shipped to me via Standard Mail for any event I'm going to and I've never had a problem.

Right, since you've never been fucked over via standard mail, nobody else in the world ever has.

morphous12
yeah, I pay the ticketfast fee so that I have the tickets saved on my computer or flash drive. I simply print them out when I am ready.

It provides peace of mind.

kreutz2112

this is why I did it that way.

coldstart
01-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Right, since you've never been fucked over via standard mail, nobody else in the world ever has.

Uh, did I say anything about anyone else?

aphrael
01-24-2008, 09:23 AM
My concern isn't things getting lost in the mail; it's losing the tickets once i have them. I can lose my badge for work *in my cube* on a bad day. Having to be responsible for four pieces of paper for three months is just asking for trouble.

send me ctrpllrs
01-24-2008, 09:25 AM
I've been using standard mail with ticketmaster for a while and never had a problem. I don't want to spend any more than the $287 I did, well besides my camping pass.

Oh and a great place to not lose tickets is on the fridge!

instinct
01-24-2008, 09:25 AM
If we wait till tomorrow and go to the Glasshouse do we still get charged the convenience fee?

And did anyone see the option for camping?

tickets at the glasshouse are $285.. so it's roughly the same price as the Kroq presale.. you have to pay for gas.. but you'll have your tickets in your hand!

neverclever
01-24-2008, 09:26 AM
I just don't understand why they charge you for the $2.50... how does this inconvenience THEM at all? In fact they should be cheaper! The thousands of tickets that have been purchased already should have paid for the "program" that implemented this... so... they shouldn't charge for this at all is all I'm saying. And since they do charge I'll make them send the tickets to me. I'm responsible enough to keep them safe.

instinct
01-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Standard mail is fine this far ahead of time. If you don't get your tickets with a month to go you can tell ticketmaster, they void the old ones and you get new ones....... and you don't have to pay any "insurance" fees or the highly retarded $2.50 charge to PRINT THEM OUT YOURSELF... you're paying to do more work!

I hate to say it.. but ticketmaster is pretty good about lost tickets and they will just have you pick them up at will call instead.

SFChrissy
01-24-2008, 09:27 AM

It's all the tents and stages

coldstart
01-24-2008, 09:28 AM
I just don't understand why they charge you for the $2.50... how does this inconvenience THEM at all? In fact they should be cheaper! The thousands of tickets that have been purchased already should have paid for the "program" that implemented this... so... they shouldn't charge for this at all is all I'm saying. And since they do charge I'll make them send the tickets to me. I'm responsible enough to keep them safe.

They like the feel of your money as they rape you from behind.

luckyface
01-24-2008, 09:30 AM

I haven't, and I have had at least 50 tickets shipped to me.

(knock on wood)

luckyface
01-24-2008, 09:31 AM
yeah, I pay the ticketfast fee so that I have the tickets saved on my computer or flash drive. I simply print them out when I am ready.

It provides peace of mind.

Doesn't work that way anymore unless you pay by phone. You need to print directly from the TM site now. Pain in the ASS!

KungFuJoe
01-24-2008, 09:32 AM
if you're buying in bulk it'll work out a couple bucks cheaper than glasshouse. So, for those who plan on buying 4 or more tickets, it would be good to do so today.

shotglass75
If you understand the sponsorship difference there is no "but still".

Advertising dollars are HUGE!

Right, but I'm not saying they should cut the cost by that much. I think if they did a presale for maybe $80 bucks off instead of $20, people would feel a little less like GV is ripping them off on this presale. Honestly, right now I would prefer a few more sponsorships if it meant a better lineup and better price.

I know this sponsorship debate has been beaten into he ground before so i really don't want to get that much into it. I'm going. I'm relatively satisfied with the lineup. I can't wait!!!!

SFChrissy
$38.70 technically speaking...I hate the print out tickets and love the stubs...

Trick Loves The Kids
01-24-2008, 09:33 AM
I actually get lucky, my billing address is still my parents' house so all my tickets get sent there and they keep them safe until my next visit. I thought I had lost my Daft Punk tickets for their Berkeley show for about 3 hours, that was horrible.

captncrzy
01-24-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't get things like that mailed to me because I've had post office problems before. I'd rather pay $2.50 than stand in a shitty will call line like last year. Sorry, I make enough money to pay the extra $5.

neverclever
01-24-2008, 09:40 AM
They like the feel of your money as they rape you from behind.

They could at least REACH AROUND... it's only polite!

SFChrissy
01-24-2008, 09:43 AM
I don't get things like that mailed to me because I've had post office problems before. I'd rather pay $2.50 than stand in a shitty will call line like last year. Sorry, I make enough money to pay the extra $5.

Those printed tickets are so ugly though...

shotglass75
01-24-2008, 09:46 AM
I just realized that in 2 weeks I will not be living at the address that I have my tickets being sent to. AND THR DRAMA BEGINS!!!!!!!!

faxman75
01-24-2008, 09:47 AM

It's not because they are inconvenience, it's so you don't have to get off your ass. It's for you convenience. so, if you want it sent to your e-mail you pay or be a normal person and wait for them in the mail.

They should charge for it because it's a technology they come up with to make it more convenient for the user.

You had them mailed so bravo to you. Some would rather have it in their e-mail NOW so they pay the couple of bucks.

full on idle
Sorry, I make enough money to pay the extra $5.

Affluent businesswomen need NEVER apologize.

aphrael
The $2.50 convenience fee for TicketFast is akin to the ATM surcharges: it's cheaper for the service provider for you to use it, but they charge you the fee anyway because they're a monopoly and they can.

coldstart
01-24-2008, 09:49 AM
I just realized that in 2 weeks I will not be living at the address that I have my tickets being sent to. AND THR DRAMA BEGINS!!!!!!!!

Shitty.

faxman75
01-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Right, but I'm not saying they should cut the cost by that much. I think if they did a presale for maybe $80 bucks off instead of $20, people would feel a little less like GV is ripping them off on this presale. Honestly, right now I would prefer a few more sponsorships if it meant a better lineup and better price.

I'm guessing some might agree and others might not. I am one who is completely happy about the lineup and love the prospect of this not selling out. However, I assume there is no presale because they had a hard time getting headliners this time around and they expect attendance to be a bit lower so it's ecenomics. Less people, less money so no presale.

SFChrissy
01-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Affluent businesswomen...

Is this your slogan???

tessalasset
01-24-2008, 09:53 AM
I just realized that in 2 weeks I will not be living at the address that I have my tickets being sent to. AND THR DRAMA BEGINS!!!!!!!!i would call ticketmaster right now to try to preempt any drama.

aphrael
01-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Faxman75, the trouble with your reasoning is this: the marginal cost to them of printing and mailing tickets is significantly higher than the marginal cost to them of using the ticketfast software. Once they've paid for the capital investment on the software, there are no variable costs to produce the tickets.

So using ticketfast saves them money ... yet they charge *more* for using this device which saves them money.

My guess as to what's happening is a combination of: the ticketfast software vendor charges a per-ticket royalty (ensuring that they continue to get paid), and ticketmaster feels perfectly happy to throw more on, because why not?

SFChrissy
01-24-2008, 10:03 AM
I hate to say it.. but ticketmaster is pretty good about lost tickets and they will just have you pick them up at will call instead.

That could ruin the first day of coachella...

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Hey guys I have a question.

I don't live in the US but my sis does. she studies at MSU. she has an american credit card so she can buy the ticket for me, but it would be under her name.

Is there a problem if the ticket says her name and I use it? Do they check that?

Thanks for the info.

Courtney
01-24-2008, 10:05 AM
As long as you don't need to pick up the ticket at Will Call, there should be no problem with the ticket being in a different name than the attendee. People buy tickets for their significant others and friends all the time.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-24-2008, 10:06 AM
As long as you don't need to pick up the ticket at Will Call, there should be no problem with the ticket being in a different name than the attendee. People buy tickets for their significant others and friends all the time.

Thanks Courtney.

No i think ill print them out. easier for me.

shotglass75
i would call ticketmaster right now to try to preempt any drama.

Well the one good thing is that i know the guy moving into my place and I am not moving till the 15th. If they ship tickets in the next two weeks I should be ok, if not I can always just tell the guy who's moving into my place to call me.

SFChrissy

You can either have the post office hold your mail or since you'll be filling out a "Change of Address" form through the post office they will be redirected to your new address!!!

faxman75
01-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Faxman75, the trouble with your reasoning is this: the marginal cost to them of printing and mailing tickets is significantly higher than the marginal cost to them of using the ticketfast software. Once they've paid for the capital investment on the software, there are no variable costs to produce the tickets.

So using ticketfast saves them money ... yet they charge *more* for using this device which saves them money.

That's a business decision. The fact is, they have a service that makes it more convenient to the customer and this service in turn makes them even more money. They are a business. If it was a dumb idea, they would see the results as such but as proven here people use ticketfast. Yes it does cost them more money to mail, however they more than make up for that loss with ticketfast and by offereing the free option, they keep the customer happy as well. It's a convenient option offered by the business to make them money. No more, no less. It makes perfect sense.

neverclever
01-24-2008, 10:09 AM
It's not because they are inconvenience, it's so you don't have to get off your ass. It's for you convenience. so, if you want it sent to your e-mail you pay or be a normal person and wait for them in the mail.

They should charge for it because it's a technology they come up with to make it more convenient for the user.

You had them mailed so bravo to you. Some would rather have it in their e-mail NOW so they pay the couple of bucks.

I always imagine their company to be one big fat dude eating pork rinds as the head programmer. A few "interns" to input the concerts. A dozen or so costumer service people in some warehouse with like a pile of money in the corner. But whatever, people can pay whatever they want... and ticketmaster never needs to say what the fees actually are for. We all just know they make TONS of profit... yay for them!

aphrael
01-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Of course it's a business decision, and it's not a dumb idea; from their perspective, it's a brilliant idea.

But being a brilliant idea which makes them money doesn't make it any less objectionable from the other side. Nor does it change the fact that they're only able to do it because there is no functioning competitive market in being the ticket sales intermediary between venues and customers.

pandaroo
01-24-2008, 10:18 AM
SAd not much of a discount eh..so pathetic

NO its Not! Last year our tix were 220.00! a 20 dollar discount is kind of pointless. Im waiting for APW!

Jewcifer
01-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Not going to the show... Priceless

suprefan
01-24-2008, 10:43 AM
I swear you people will NEVER learn to not print out your tickets. ITS 3 MONTHS AWAY!!! why do you need them in your hands NOW!!

Didnt buy mine today, there is no point, I gotta go to the glasshouse as it is to buy camping tickets, so why have to worry about getting them online for 2 bucks more?

JustSteve
01-24-2008, 10:48 AM
TicketFast is kind of annoying now. You have to login to TM to print off tickets. If you need to sell them, in becomes a royal pain in the ass.

it's not too hard, just print them out and scan them back into the computer in a .pdf file, then you just email it.

JustSteve
01-24-2008, 10:50 AM
It's all the tents and stages

actually one dollar a day goes to charity, i believe. the other $3 goes to the venue, which is technically the "building facility".

Boourns
01-24-2008, 10:56 AM

TicketFast Delivery
US $2.50

TOTAL CHARGES US $290.20

I just checked my order status online, and it's higher than what I was told when I purchased my ticket:
DESERT Tickets US $249.00 x 1
Total Convenience Charge(s) US $28.80 x 1
Total Building Facility Charge(s) US $16.00 x 1
Order Processing Charge US $5.10
TOTAL CHARGES US $298.90

Did anyone else get inexplicably raped for an additional $11.20?

Courtney
01-24-2008, 10:59 AM
I just checked my order status online, and it's higher than what I was told when I purchased my ticket:
DESERT Tickets US $249.00 x 1
Total Convenience Charge(s) US $28.80 x 1
Total Building Facility Charge(s) US $16.00 x 1
Order Processing Charge US $5.10
TOTAL CHARGES US $298.90

Did anyone else get inexplicably raped for an additional $11.20?

That's weird. They tell me that my total is also $298.90, but they only charged my credit card $287.70. Must be a glitch.

Boourns
01-24-2008, 11:02 AM
My bank says a pre-authorization charge of $287.70, as well, but it could be like a restaurant where you get billed for the real amount days later.

luckyface
01-24-2008, 11:16 AM
No way they could get away with that. You didn't agree to it. Maybe those are the fees for the regular tickets?

aphrael
01-24-2008, 11:22 AM
JustSteve: or, alternately, install software which allows you to 'print' to a pdf file by installing a printer driver that reroutes to pdf.

suprefan
01-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Again, everyone who doesnt like ticketfast, QUIT DOING IT. Everyone who is all for saving money, why do you spend more money on something? You are defeating the purpose here of trying to cut fees and charges as much as possible.

aphrael
01-24-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't think anyone who is using ticketfast would say they don't like ticketfast. I know I think ticketfast is *great*. I also think ticketmaster is an abusive monopoly. They're hardly inconsistent views.

fsm10
01-24-2008, 11:48 AM
I, for the life of me, will never understand why people have to pay $2.50 to have the ability to print out their own ticket using their own ink and paper, while it's free to to have ticketmaster print real tickets on their paper and mail it to you on their dime.

faxman75
01-24-2008, 12:27 PM
I don't think anyone who is using ticketfast would say they don't like ticketfast. I know I think ticketfast is *great*. I also think ticketmaster is an abusive monopoly. They're hardly inconsistent views.

Ticketmaster is not a monopoly. Tickets.com is one huge one. Almost all of MLB uses it as opposed to ticketmaster. There are tons of other smaller companies as well all over the net.
I do understand they sign exclusive contracts with venues, however many companies do that, it's a way of business. That doesn't equal monopoly.

ArcadeParade
01-24-2008, 01:01 PM
I, for the life of me, will never understand why people have to pay $2.50 to have the ability to print out their own ticket using their own ink and paper, while it's free to to have ticketmaster print real tickets on their paper and mail it to you on their dime.

paying for convenience

higgybaby23
01-24-2008, 01:10 PM

Some folks don't have a safe mailing address, and Ticketmaster will only mail to the address of your credit card/check card. Spending $2.50 to insure my tix won't be lost/stolen is an affordable deal.

neverclever
01-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Ticketmaster is not a monopoly. Tickets.com is one huge one. Almost all of MLB uses it as opposed to ticketmaster. There are tons of other smaller companies as well all over the net.
I do understand they sign exclusive contracts with venues, however many companies do that, it's a way of business. That doesn't equal monopoly.

They're not a monopoly by the definition of monopoly but they sure got the ballz of most venues. They own Ticketweb too apparently? These lesser companies have waaaay less "convenience" fees so I wonder why ticketmaster is so inefficient! You'd think their fees would be minimal now after all the 30 years of expertise. Apparently they're losing the LiveNation contract in 2009...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22735837/

In December, concert promoter Live Nation, Ticketmaster's biggest client, said it would begin selling its own tickets in 2009. Live Nation accounted for about 15 percent of West Hollywood, Calif.-based Ticketmaster's roughly $1 billion in revenue in 2006.

frozen pilgrim
01-24-2008, 02:21 PM
I've been using standard mail with ticketmaster for a while and never had a problem...
...a great place to not lose tickets is on the fridge!

I agree on both counts. or, keep your 'chella tickets with your herb stash. not only will you always know where they are, but you'll be reminded of the impending awesomeness every time you go for some weed

PrettyRagdoll
01-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah it's bogus, ticketmaster will do anything to rape your wallet. Mine came up to 287.70.

Melanie.Dawn
01-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Now I'm part of the 'yay, I have tickets! but boo service fees club'...

woo

James
01-24-2008, 04:29 PM
I don't see why GV can't use a different ticket distribution method than Ticketmaster.

and at this point, with $250-$270 tickets (plus the extra $40..), major corporate sponsorship doesn't sound like such a bad thing to me.

kitt kat
01-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Total Charge: US $ 287.70

BARFFFF what was that $21 fee???

luckyface
01-24-2008, 06:36 PM
I don't see why GV can't use a different ticket distribution method than Ticketmaster.

Duh! Because they are awesome at distributing will call tickets.

karecares
01-24-2008, 06:47 PM
What's pissing me off is that i have to pay service charges again tommorrow for camping tix, that's just fucked up. the presale should have included camping :(

ayates
01-24-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't understand people who print the poor man-looking tickets. They pay for it to boot!

breakjaw
01-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Last year,I waited in line to get in on Sunday with one of the guys who camped next to me.After about a 45 minute wait,we pull out our tickets (I had a hard ticket and he had a Ticket-Fast one) and his was all smeared,to where the barcodes couldn't be scanned, from when we got hosed down by the guy with the hose by the showers.He looked like he was about to cry,and then suddenly he smiled and said,"Man,this is my Saturday ticket!"
He went back and got his Sunday ticket,but he had to wait in the line again.Lesson:If you print out your ticket,print out several and keep 'em seperate.Also try not to get hosed down when you have an inkjet printed ticket on you.

sin213
01-25-2008, 12:38 PM

Same here - I like a physical ticket, not an email, cause I save my stubs. I go to TONS of shows a year, every year for the last 10 years. I have NEVER had a ticket lost or not delivered.