PDA

View Full Version : ELECTRO HEAVY!!!!! My Thoughts on it.

mindcq
01-23-2008, 11:46 AM
I think we can all agree electro has taken over coachella. Which is awesome. pretty much every band/producer ive been listening to is on the line up. Super excited for Boys Noize ("Oi Oi Oi" to those of you who know whats up). would like to see them add Digitalism back this year though. They got it right with simian mobile.

Its wierd how death cab (one of favorite bands of all time) is on there and then like its dead for all the indie rock heads. Band of horses? Shins? Peter bjorn john, taken by trees, Killers even? somebody. I'm sure they will let loose a few new additions by the time of the show but.

I heard prodigy was suppose to play. If this is true. God damn they have a hit on there hands. I just feel bad for those who arn't part of the electro movement. but to the rest of us, sleep now.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-23-2008, 11:55 AM
I would like Band of Horses.

There are alot of bands that have not been added.

1990s
Spoon
Grand National
Mute Math
Art Brut

insbordnat
01-23-2008, 11:56 AM
A return to the roots of Coachella, IMHO.

I mean from the artists in my first year that I went (2001), look at the electronic lineup:

Adam Freeland
AK1200
Andrea Parker
Jason Bentley
Jason Blakemore
The Chemical Brothers
Detroit Grand Pubahs
Dieselboy
Doc Martin
Fatboy Slim
Ian Pooley
DJ Dara
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Christopher Lawrence
The New Deal
The Orb
Paul Oakenfold
Photek
Plaid
Saint Germain
Roni Size and Reprazent
Squarepusher
Smith and Mighty
Tricky
‹berzone

There were very few non-electronic acts. Me thinks electronic is getting trendy again.

jackstraw94086
01-23-2008, 12:42 PM
A return to the roots of Coachella, IMHO.

I mean from the artists in my first year that I went (2001), look at the electronic lineup:

Adam Freeland
AK1200
Andrea Parker
Jason Bentley
Jason Blakemore
The Chemical Brothers
Detroit Grand Pubahs
Dieselboy
Doc Martin
Fatboy Slim
Ian Pooley
DJ Dara
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Christopher Lawrence
The New Deal
The Orb
Paul Oakenfold
Photek
Plaid
Saint Germain
Roni Size and Reprazent
Squarepusher
Smith and Mighty
Tricky
‹berzone

There were very few non-electronic acts. Me thinks electronic is getting trendy again.

all in all that was a pretty good lineup. There are legends on that list, while these days the tent is filled with a dozen clones playing the same boring shit that only an angry moptop could love. The indy aesthetic has taken over the sahara tent. It's done.

You can't count what's going on with this electro bullshit as an electronic trend. That music barely qualifies. It's bad rock music performed by computers. It's a giant step back for electronic music if you must call it that.

donkey sex
01-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Might go if they give a tab of X with that $90 ticket.

MonsoonSeason
01-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Art Brut

WHAT REALLY

MonsoonSeason
01-23-2008, 12:50 PM
if you're fucking with me I will kill until I am blind

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-23-2008, 12:55 PM
jajaja chillout. a knew someone would bust my balls for that.

I forgot to put Drangonforce on that list though

MonsoonSeason
01-23-2008, 01:11 PM
god damn

I am so let down

I will never be excited again

mindcq
01-27-2008, 07:02 PM
all in all that was a pretty good lineup. There are legends on that list, while these days the tent is filled with a dozen clones playing the same boring shit that only an angry moptop could love. The indy aesthetic has taken over the sahara tent. It's done.

You can't count what's going on with this electro bullshit as an electronic trend. That music barely qualifies. It's bad rock music performed by computers. It's a giant step back for electronic music if you must call it that.

Bad rock music? Like who? Teenagers? MGMT? i hope ur not talking about justice and ed banger?

Robototron
01-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Bad rock music? Like who? Teenagers? MGMT? i hope ur not talking about justice and ed banger?

He is. While I disagree that it's bad, you can't deny that Justice are essentially a rock band masquerading as an electronic duo.

erikua
01-27-2008, 07:46 PM
I think we can all agree electro has taken over coachella. Which is awesome.

I think itís only fitting Electro has taken over Coachella this year. With the godfathers of it going on stage Saturday night, how much better can it get? Kraftwerk :-)

Blintz
01-27-2008, 07:57 PM
There's a difference between electronic dance music and this electro-indie-rock shit that's going around: I saw The Rapture as an opening act and they were terrible: the worst of the rock and electronic worlds combined. There is a good amount of proper EDM this year, with Pendulum, Sasha & Digweed, Adam Freeland, etc... but a lot of these indie-electro bands are just indie rock with laptops, and shitty indie rock at that. It's just like The Klaxons- they're not content to be a synthy dance-punk band, but they have to rape rave culture for artistic credibility.

mindcq
01-27-2008, 08:00 PM
He is. While I disagree that it's bad, you can't deny that Justice are essentially a rock band masquerading as an electronic duo.

What makes a rock band? What makes an electronic act? Is basment jaxx a rock band? Is digitalism a electronic duo masquerading as a rock band?

JoshTheBoyd
01-27-2008, 08:02 PM
The Ed Banger style nu rave shit is exciting for some (myself included) because it's got the punk rock bent to it. Like when the Sex Pistols blew up, no one gave a fuck if Sid Vicious could play bass. It was just dirty nasty and badass. Same deal with Justice/Boys Noize... I'm sure if you fell in love with electronic music before this recent surge in popularity you can find numerous flaws with it. But nasty fuzzy bass gives me mental boners so I don't give a fuck.

and the party rolls on.

Trudeau
01-27-2008, 08:25 PM
The Ed Banger style nu rave shit is exciting for some (myself included) because it's got the punk rock bent to it. Like when the Sex Pistols blew up, no one gave a fuck if Sid Vicious could play bass. It was just dirty nasty and badass. Same deal with Justice/Boys Noize... I'm sure if you fell in love with electronic music before this recent surge in popularity you can find numerous flaws with it. But nasty fuzzy bass gives me mental boners so I don't give a fuck.

and the party rolls on.

Quoted for troof.

CaliMag
01-27-2008, 09:05 PM
There are alot of bands that have not been added.
Art Brut

I would be shocked (SHOCKED!) if Art Brut were added... I am surprised Golden Voice didn't have them black-listed from playing in the US ever again after they singel handedly cost GV at least $100,000 in fines (playing past curfew).

God I love them. They were mint in 06.