PDA

View Full Version : Educate Fax on Electronic Music

faxman75
01-23-2008, 06:43 AM
Here's my history,

i'm always hit or miss with electronic acts. I have a love hate relationship with it for some reason. I used to go to raves and just loved loved loved hardcore. There was this guy Nicky Fingers who used to blow me away then he died in the mid to late 90's from heroin. I always loved Portisehead (not exactly electronic though they use a dj right?), the Orb and Orbital were good. I used to watch Liquid MTV and they used to have a killer show called AMP. My favorite video of all time was "The Box" by Orbital. Only recently have I tried to get into a little bit more. I have "buriel". It's decent stuff. I love Daft Punk, but I have no clue about half the DJ's out there. Tiesto really sucked. I don't really dig Oakenfeld.

I guess I would like to know what hardcore dj's are still out there. Is that even still a genre of electronic? I love the NIN sounding stuff.

Anyway, help me out, who to see this year based on those tastes.

As far as other acts this year i'm into Portishead, The national, Waters, Love and Rockets, Tegan and Sara and so on and so forth but i'm looking for electronic recommendations based on my taste.

Tylerdurden31
01-23-2008, 07:00 AM
I'd say maybe Modeselektor, Holy Fuck, maaaaaaybe Pendulum

The Field if you like fairly minimal 90s-esque dance music

paganman7
01-23-2008, 07:08 AM
Thank you for making this thread. I hope you get a lot of feedback here because I too am curious about the more edgy electronic acts this year.

Anything Prodigy-esque this year would be suuuweet!

waxybk
01-23-2008, 07:10 AM
OMG Nicky Fingers. I heard him at one rave but had some mixtapes by him. My cousin was cool with him so we got a lot of music from him. You just brought it back.....

As far as my recommendations....
What Tyler suggested def.

Also check out Booka Shade, Hot Chip....

As far as Hardcore Techno DJs, they are still around....just don't see that EVER at Coachella. I can give you a list of some of those to check out also if you want.

faxman75
01-23-2008, 07:18 AM
Hot Chip seemed catchy. I dug a track or two so I will look into them more. Never heard of Booka Shade so I will check them out. Thanks guys, keep it coming.

Nicky Fingers was unreal. I only saw him a couple of times and it was just fucking mindblowing what he was able to do. Very memorable. I used to have a mixtape of his that had what sounded like Beck on helium saying i'm a raver baby so why don't you kill me and then it bumped into some hardcore beats, 6 million ways to die was another he used. Do you still have any of his mix tapes? I would love to hear some more.

I had some DJ Hyperactive mix tapes but I didn't really dig him. My love was for harcore and happy hardcore I guess. I'm from chicago and I don't dig house DJ's or Blues music. go figure.

I also like some Detroit Techno.

Thanks y'all, keep the 411 coming.

waxybk
01-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Booka Shade is dope, my new favorite. I'm diggin this newish sound. Maybe its been around for a while and I am just slow on the uptake, but nonetheless I am diggin it!

Yea, I have to look for those Fingers mixtapes. They are in boxes somewhere. Yea 6 million ways to die was a crazy track. I think back to those days and man it was fuckin killer!

Detroit techno is dope too, I used to be really into techno but kinda fell off for a little bit and was focusing on makin my own beats. But lately its been comin back. Good to know there are some folks out there still into that shit!

waxybk
01-23-2008, 07:29 AM
And don't forget Kraftwerk. They do some next level electronic shit. I love them.

Trailmix
01-23-2008, 07:38 AM
You should check out Junkie XL. Though I am not sure whether he will spin or just play his stuff. Has anyone seen him in the past?

paganman7
01-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Fax, check out the video in this thread:

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15038

Damn.