PDA

View Full Version : EMEK?

DnBGoon
01-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Anyone know if EMEK is doing the poster this year? Last year's was amazing!http://www.emek.net/coachella_big.jpg

shoegazer76
01-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Doubtful, Emek has been there & done that. I bet you'll see a Bonnaroo poster from him this year. I own the PJ Harvey Emek, The Air & Sterolab, & a DJ Shadow Holofoil Variant. I love his work & he is a really cool person & very down to earth unlike his Godly imagination & talent. Oh yeah I got this poster last year also. I shoulda bought a few but I ran outta flow.

DnBGoon
01-22-2008, 11:11 PM
DJ Shadow Holofoil Variant.

??? You mean the one from the Nottingham gig?

shoegazer76
01-22-2008, 11:17 PM
??? You mean the one from the Nottingham gig?

Yeah I got the 15th one of 15 made. I dropped a knot on that piece tho. I had the opportunity at ATP to purchase the actual Flaming Lips Sculptured poster. I'm absolutely kicking myself in the ass now for not. I met Emek on the Queen Mary at ATP Long Beach. He was just sketchin for fans & displaying as well as selling his work. I can't say enough nice things about the guy.

DnBGoon
01-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah I got the 15th one of 15 made. I dropped a knot on that piece tho. I had the opportunity at ATP to purchase the actual Flaming Lips Sculptured poster. I'm absolutely kicking myself in the ass now for not. I met Emek on the Queen Mary at ATP Long Beach. He was just sketchin for fans & displaying as well as selling his work. I can't say enough nice things about the guy.

Oh man that Lips "fossil" was epic and is IMO the best rock poster ever.

shoegazer76
01-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Oh man that Lips "fossil" was epic and is IMO the best rock poster ever.

I know don't remind me If I remember correctly he offered it to me for $250 I think. I'm such a fuckin moron! It was sick the actual fossil sculputre. It was a stone tablet looking fossil like the ten commandments.

shoegazer76
01-22-2008, 11:26 PM
That think will be sitting in a Museum of art one day. Probably the Smithsonian or MOMA.

DnBGoon
01-22-2008, 11:31 PM
I know don't remind me If I remember correctly he offered it to me for $250 I think. I'm such a fuckin moron! It was sick the actual fossil sculputre. It was a stone tablet looking fossil like the ten commandments.

Only $250? There must be more than one then...

Edit: just looked it up on expressobeans:
There were 90 hand casted and hand painted by EMEK from an EMEK hand sculpted original. It is a truely amazing piece of art. Flaming Lips commisioned these pieces from EMEK and there was an apparent dispute between Beck and the Flaming Lips and this piece became a casualty of that dispute. So 15 of the original version with Beck's name of them were given to the bands and 3 made it into collector hands before they were ordered destroyed. Instead of destroying these pieces, EMEK refilled Beck's name with more resin, and then hand carved his part out, putting in the word "the" in place of his name. In fact the second version has a greater attention to detail factor than the first version.

Original Price $150.00
Collections 2

Link to more info (http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/2214)

shoegazer76
01-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Wow I didn't know that what a great story behind the piece. I wonder what Beck's deal was. I know the Beck electric cord EMEK is a really sought after piece.

pewter14
01-23-2008, 12:46 AM
I actually asked EMEK about this print and future prints for Coachella.

1) '07 print ... this actually wasn't the first image ... I guess the folks in charge when they viewed his first attepmt didn't want a "person" as the main image for this print, so, EMEK had to re-do it.

2) When asked if he'd do it again, specifically for Coachella, he said, "Well, they got to ask me first ... but yeah."

edit - and to agree with shoegazer ... indeed, EMEK is really cool and down to earth ... which is really cool seeing as how incredibly berzerk the rock poster world has become for his work.