PDA

View Full Version : Coachella: Kosher for Passover

RoDaSho
01-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Hey,

Coachella just happens to be on Passover this year... I was wondering what the in-out policy was between the venue and the camping is, and if I can bring in some kosher food to the venue since I doubt that they will be selling kosher for passover food at the show... I don't want to starve during the day, and pass out and miss the music...

Thanks

flea73
01-22-2008, 07:36 PM
There are no ins and outs from the show. As for the food, depending on how strict you are.. the vegan/vegetarian food might work for you.

JOEJOEJOE
01-23-2008, 09:54 AM
We should have a seder!

MonsoonSeason
01-23-2008, 09:57 AM
I will stay kosher for all of coachella

this is cool

Courtney
01-23-2008, 09:59 AM
It would rule if there was a vendor or two with kosher options.

faxman75
01-23-2008, 09:59 AM
How will you do it?

MonsoonSeason
01-23-2008, 10:05 AM
probably by just drinking a lot of water

maybe eating an artichoke with no ranch awful sauce

ceva81
01-23-2008, 10:28 AM
well the year i went we only made one meal and we made it before we arive to the venue so if you make a good meal before arriving then you will only have to drink water maybe eat some churros or something im not jewish so i dont know what passover means but i think that its similar to what my religion does that before holly week but we are not allowed to eat meat only the fridays that the quarantine lasts so if you make a good meal before you will make it

ceva81
01-23-2008, 10:29 AM
and i think there is not in n outs during the show

whynotsmile99
01-23-2008, 10:35 AM
we should totally do a camp ground seder this year.

My mom makes a mean noodle kugel

http://www.andreprost.com/pressdocs/nrecipe30.jpg

whynotsmile99
01-23-2008, 10:36 AM
god damn thats a big kugel!

Tylerdurden31
01-23-2008, 10:37 AM
i'd recommend eating french fries and teriyaki meats. that should satisfy the kosher for passover rules as best as you can at coachella. Also, no beer...just wine

aphrael
01-23-2008, 10:37 AM
ISTM there are two options: either Goldenvoice promises to have at least one kosher-certified vendor, or you eat before the show and plan to refrain from eating during the day.

This really depends on how seriously you keep kosher, but: I wouldn't want to rely on an uncertified vendor to adhere to kosher rules, especially if they weren't claiming to; there's too little knowledge about their cooking practices to make sure.

captncrzy
01-23-2008, 10:38 AM
I wonder if any of the vendors have foods that are qualified as kosher that we just don't know about. They have everything else...veggie, vegan, etc. There's no in/out policy, but I wonder if they make concessions to bring in food based on certain dietary/medical requirements.

JustSteve
01-23-2008, 10:43 AM
you would have to leave the food at the medical tent and come back for it, i believe.

Blinken
01-23-2008, 03:28 PM
I say that they change the rules for passover, and allow in and outs . . . I know never will happen, but a good reason for change.

aphrael
01-23-2008, 09:26 PM
They could make it contingent on having a letter from your rabbi, then someone could set up a fake rabbi letter writing business in the campground.

RoDaSho
01-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Im pretty strict when it comes to Passover so I don't think I'd buy anything from a vendor that is selling anything that is not kosher for passover. Vegan and Veg options just don't apply for these rules (although they do for everyday kosher needs.) Are there fruit/vegetable vendors selling $5 oranges and $8 apples?

All I want to bring in is several slabs of matzoh and something to put on top to make it taste bearable... Trust me, nobody would fake a letter from a rabbi just to be able to bring in matzoh slabs.

Meanwhile, I don't think one can survive Coachella without eating all day and just drinking water. I'd end up at the medical tent quickly enough...

I dunno, this is a serious concern for me... if I can't eat, I can't go... and I don't want to miss the Coachella seder...

DrDank551
01-23-2008, 11:57 PM
yeah massive camp gorund seder, im all in for that

this is the thread that has brought a smile to my face since monday,
thank you

jaysocal
01-24-2008, 12:12 AM
yeah massive camp gorund seder, im all in for that

this is the thread that has brought a smile to my face since monday,
thank you

I'd be down for a campground seder, so long as the damn drum circle is NO where nearby...in fact, can we just outlaw the drum circle all the way around?

gupbuck
01-24-2008, 06:56 AM
A Pesach seder would be phenomenal. Can I please hide the Afikoman?

aphrael
01-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Seems like finding the Afikoman in the campground would be nigh impossible.

Just *don't* hide it in a porta-potty, OK?

ruetheday
01-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Jews aren't allowed at coachella.

MonsoonSeason
01-24-2008, 01:03 PM
A Pesach seder would be phenomenal. Can I please hide the Afikoman?

whoever finds the afikoman gets a hot chip CD

Jagh20
01-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Jews aren't allowed at coachella.

I am going to slap you back to the JJ stage....

jerkey
01-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Wait a minute - I know plenty about being kosher and you can certainly do it at Coachella. Just eat beef on a stick or get a hot dog and throw out the bun. I'm sure they even have tofu dogs. In fact, I think they have vegan stands.

Or .. mmm .. just live off of shaved ice for 3 days.

coldstart
01-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Wait a minute - I know plenty about being kosher and you can certainly do it at Coachella. Just eat beef on a stick or get a hot dog and throw out the bun. I'm sure they even have tofu dogs. In fact, I think they have vegan stands.

Or .. mmm .. just live off of shaved ice for 3 days.

Mmmmm, water and high fructose corn syrup. Nothing is more nutritious.

flea73
01-24-2008, 05:43 PM
A Coachella seder almost makes me want to camp!

RoDaSho
01-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Just a note:
'Kosher' and 'Kosher for Passover' are completely different things. You can't have wheat, rye, barley, spelt, or oats for the week (except for matzoh.) Also, some people (self included) only eat stuff that is certified as Kosher for Passover, and do not eat foods that may have come in contact with the above grains (or unkosher meats in general.)

Now back to the kugal.

kroqken
01-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Perry Farell is Jewish.

2integrate
03-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Im pretty strict when it comes to Passover so I don't think I'd buy anything from a vendor that is selling anything that is not kosher for passover. Vegan and Veg options just don't apply for these rules (although they do for everyday kosher needs.) Are there fruit/vegetable vendors selling $5 oranges and $8 apples?

All I want to bring in is several slabs of matzoh and something to put on top to make it taste bearable... Trust me, nobody would fake a letter from a rabbi just to be able to bring in matzoh slabs.

Meanwhile, I don't think one can survive Coachella without eating all day and just drinking water. I'd end up at the medical tent quickly enough...

I dunno, this is a serious concern for me... if I can't eat, I can't go... and I don't want to miss the Coachella seder...

Hey man,

I have the same issue and started a few other threads. Other people just dont get it.
I wish there was a way that we could get through to the heads so they make an exception on that day and let us take food inside. We really dont have any other choices.
I love coachella, and we are kosher. Really you cant even buy food or spend money on that day.
who's brilliant idea was to put it on passover, couldn't they have planned it the following week?

2integrate
03-02-2008, 03:05 PM
I am so down for a coachella cedar. Hey maybe I will rent an RV and we'll all gather. Maybe we can invite matisyahu!

thelastgreatman
03-02-2008, 03:10 PM
I love when religion gets culinary. People are fucking insane.

2integrate
03-02-2008, 03:17 PM
I love when religion gets culinary. People are fucking insane.
there is no point in arguing man, you have a certain lifestyle and that is fine. Me and some other people wish to preserve and respect certain aspects of Judaism. No one is forcing you to partake. For those of us that keep it, it presents an issue/challenge. It would be easier for us not to care and just eat what we want... but we care and are careful and considerate; hence the time taken to list this posting.

HEADSTRUCK
03-02-2008, 03:18 PM
so your saying just cause your a jew coachella shold let u bring in food when the rest of us cant? you tryn to open a flood gate that will not be touched. if they were to let u everyone would be a jew for the weekend to bring in there own food. Better yet i love how u think a fest like this should be arranged around a holiday, do u think they really give 2 shits?

fatbastard
03-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Synagogues around Coachella
Beth Shalom
(760) 200-3636

79733 Country Club Dr, Bermuda Dunes, CA
Get Directions 5.41 mi.
Save for later Send to phone
2. Chabad of Rancho Mirage
(760) 770-7785

72295 Via Marta, Rancho Mirage, CA
Get Directions
chabadranchomirage.com 13.42 mi.
3. Temple Sinai-Jewish Community
(760) 568-9699

73251 Hovley Ln W, Palm Desert, CA
Get Directions
templesinaipd.org 11.87 mi.

2integrate
03-02-2008, 03:23 PM
so your saying just cause your a jew coachella shold let u bring in food when the rest of us cant? you tryn to open a flood gate that will not be touched. if they were to let u everyone would be a jew for the weekend to bring in there own food. Better yet i love how u think a fest like this should be arranged around a holiday, do u think they really give 2 shits?
if enough people cared, then the organizers would take that into account. If it affected their pockets, they would care.
You are right, I am not trying to say that they should allow it for me or the jews, they should have some kind of accommodation.
maybe a kosher for passover stand, or something like that.

thelastgreatman
03-02-2008, 03:28 PM
there is no point in arguing man, you have a certain lifestyle and that is fine. Me and some other people wish to preserve and respect certain aspects of Judaism. No one is forcing you to partake. For those of us that keep it, it presents an issue/challenge. It would be easier for us not to care and just eat what we want... but we care and are careful and considerate; hence the time taken to list this posting.

I'm not objecting to your question--it's valid. I'm just always amused by the weird affectations each religion has held on to. All sounds crazy to me, and the idea of having to plan special provisions for Coachella besides drugs because of tradition is REALLY crazy. Even if I was religious, that shit would have to work around my schedule.

2integrate
03-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Synagogues around Coachella
Beth Shalom
(760) 200-3636

79733 Country Club Dr, Bermuda Dunes, CA
Get Directions 5.41 mi.
2. Chabad of Rancho Mirage
(760) 770-7785

72295 Via Marta, Rancho Mirage, CA
Get Directions
chabadranchomirage.com 13.42 mi.
3. Temple Sinai-Jewish Community
(760) 568-9699

73251 Hovley Ln W, Palm Desert, CA
Get Directions
templesinaipd.org 11.87 mi.
dude, you are awsome. Thanks for doing that.
You just saved my ass, my wife was going to kill me and was going to give me eternal hell for going.
Where are you staying?
Is there a hotel close by?

fatbastard
03-02-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm hoping the islamics start speaking up as well. Challah and bean pie at Coachellla. Mmmm mmm.

2integrate
03-02-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm not objecting to your question--it's valid. I'm just always amused by the weird affectations each religion has held on to. All sounds crazy to me, and the idea of having to plan special provisions for Coachella besides drugs because of tradition is REALLY crazy. Even if I was religious, that shit would have to work around my schedule.
hey man, I know where you are coming from. I would love to meet you at the show and talk to you directly. I'll share a piece of my matzoh which i will be sneaking in.

fatbastard
03-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah. I'm staying a couple of miles away. Made my reservations in Jan uary. I went to this place last year with the wife. Good lox and friendly staff.

http://www.shermansdeli.com/

thelastgreatman
03-02-2008, 03:36 PM
No thanks, but that's nice of you. Welcome to the board. Sorry to have to threaten you with the Holocaust before, but sometimes these things happen.

HEADSTRUCK
03-02-2008, 03:36 PM
if enough people cared, then the organizers would take that into account. If it affected their pockets, they would care.
You are right, I am not trying to say that they should allow it for me or the jews, they should have some kind of accommodation.
if u email goldenvoice maybe they will but they dont have a problem making this weekend happen so u wont really hurt their pockets by not going. I a sure your not the only jew going and i am sure the rest of them figure something out. What can you eat and what cant u eat?

chiapet
03-02-2008, 03:42 PM
It would appear that they are still taking food vendor applications, so why not PM Psychic Friend, ask about it, and point her to some of these threads?

It seems like it would be very easy to pick a vendor which could incorporate this with vegan or raw options.

fatbastard
03-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Or put something in the questions thread.

mountmccabe
03-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Since I haven't seen an answer to this

Are there fruit/vegetable vendors selling $5 oranges and $8 apples?

Yes. By which I mean last year there were vendors selling fresh fruit. There may not have been oranges or apples (but I'll bet there were) and they weren't that expensive but they were available.

I don't remember any Kosher For Passover labels, though.

M Sparks
03-03-2008, 03:41 AM
No one is forcing you to partake.

No one is forcing you to go to Coachella.

BTW, the reason the RoDaShow got serious responses and you didn't is you were a prick about it off the bat. And starting 3 or more beligerant threads on the same topic when there's already a semi-intelligent discussion going is asking for a kick to the head.

BeeII
04-09-2008, 07:29 AM

no one is forcing you to partake in coachella either.

its great that you're all religious and shit, but no one, and I mean no one, is obligated to accomodate your specific needs.

its bad enough that they have to cater to the fucking vegan and vegitarian booths, now we have to have a booth to cover every single dietary restriction (self-imposed I might add).

Moreover, if passover is so important to you, WTF are you doing at a music festival?

BeeII
04-09-2008, 07:33 AM

if there were enough people for which this is an issue, you bet your ass they would, there simply isn't.

or there isn't a vendor out there that is kosher for passover. very real possibility.

Jason895
04-09-2008, 08:06 AM
religion is bullshit . ^.^

mantra
04-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Moreover, if passover is so important to you, WTF are you doing at a music festival?

i'm curious about this too

bobert
04-10-2008, 03:32 PM

A few questions, sorry if I've repeated other people's inquiries in this thread:

1) What do you think of Jack Johnson headlining Passover?
2) Is Ecstasy kosher?
3) Shouldn't passover be a time of prayer, family, religious introspection? A music festival seems an odd place to spend this holiday.
4) Religious traditions asside, with all of the awful things taking place on planet Earth at this very moment, do you really think God would begrudge a bit of non-kosher sustanance?

instinct
04-10-2008, 04:21 PM
How much is it for a vending booth at Coachella? Do they take a percentage of profit? or do you pay a flat rate?

chairmenmeow47
04-10-2008, 04:33 PM
i am highly disappointed in the lack of "i'm a rasta and need to leave the grounds to smoke" replies to this post. DISAPPOINTED!!!

mountmccabe
04-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Why would you need to leave the grounds to smoke?

BeeII
04-10-2008, 09:42 PM
i'm curious about this too

the more i think of it, the more i think its hypocritical to criticize GV for not having a kosher for passover food booth.

you aren't even suppose to be buying anyhing, carrying money, etc from friday sunset to saturday sunset.

if you're (referring to thread starter, et al) so fastidious in your observation of your religion, does that mean you leave friday sunset (miss friday headliners, etc) and come back saturday sunset (and miss the saturday bands that play in the day)?

seems like your cherry picking the rules you wish to follow, which is fine, but don't expect to have any credibility when you're demanding someone to accommodate you based on religious needs when you yourself are bending the rules.

whynotsmile99
04-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Perry Farell is Jewish.

so maybe this mysterious Perry Farell performance is him reading the Haggadah in the Gobi tent. I would probably watch that!

Now I have to ask: what other performers at this years Coachella are Jewish?

chairmenmeow47
04-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Why would you need to leave the grounds to smoke?

good point, but i was just joking around. i seriously expected to see comments like that though :)

paganman7
04-11-2008, 09:21 AM
If Prince eats a purple pancake, and then shits it in your mouth, is that kosher?

chairmenmeow47
04-11-2008, 09:47 AM
If Prince eats a purple pancake, and then shits it in your mouth, is that kosher?

do you want some more purple pancakes... BITCHES?!

http://ivy.aholic.us/gallery/albums/album06/purple_pancakes.jpg