PDA

View Full Version : The Swell Season

Ardentbiscuit
01-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Am I the only person excited about them?

They did most of the songs for the wonderful movie, "Once" and the guy is the lead singer of the Frames.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swell_season

joppy-slow
01-22-2008, 05:07 PM

They did most of the songs for the wonderful movie, "Once" and the guy is the lead singer of the Frames.

I don't think many people know much about them.. They were the only sub-sub headliner I didn't recognize.. have to check them out.

the andalusian dog
01-22-2008, 07:25 PM
this will be one of the best acts of the weekend. nuff said.

miseducation
01-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Wow. What an inspired add! I had no idea they were an actual band.

Friday is admittedly stacked to the balls with awesome tent-ers.

bludevil007
01-22-2008, 08:15 PM
ok, the frames may be good, but how does the lead singer's side project get a subheadlining spot?

IdiotequeThom
01-22-2008, 08:32 PM

They're my favorite act on Friday. I'm so happy they're at coachella.

jillian724
01-22-2008, 08:45 PM
ok, the frames may be good, but how does the lead singer's side project get a subheadlining spot?

Audience Award at Sundance? Oscar nomination for best original song? A musical that doesn't suck ass?

"A little movie called Once gave me enough inspiration to last the rest of the year"- Steven Spielberg to USA Today

I missed the Frames last year due to my lameness of not wanting to get there too early in the day. There is NO way I will miss out on Glen this year.

I found a review and a setlist.

Review: http://www.antimusic.com/reviews/07/SwellSeason.shtml

Setlist:
Say It To Me Know
All The Way Down
Lies
This Low
Heartstrings
When Your Mind's Made Up
Drown Out
Moving Slowly
Leave
I Want My Life To Make More Sense (Frames)
Fake/ Private Dancer
Astral Weeks (Van Morrison cover)
Once
If You Want Me
Instrumental Violin Piece

ENCORE:
Star, Star
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (Dylan cover)

idrive1life
01-22-2008, 08:49 PM

:dumbo :dumbo :dumbo

Lurker_in_a_tree
01-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Swell Season clinches the deal for a couple of friends of mine who are Coachella virgins. I'll be there for sure. Love the movie 'Once'...

the andalusian dog
01-22-2008, 09:50 PM
For those of you who are Swell Season newbies, check out the free 'all songs considered' (NPR) podcast of their live concert on iTunes. Or, better yet, don't go, see something else, and let those of us who are dying to see them do so with elbow room...

MarkO
01-23-2008, 08:04 AM
<-- Huge Frames fan, not so much of Swell Season.

<<MATT>>
01-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Swell Season is good music by good people. Introduce yourself by watching the film Once.

Hope they get a sunset show, would be a great atmosphere.

musicfan66
01-23-2008, 09:53 AM
I saw them twice in the past year or so, as opening act for Damien Rice and on their own. They were fantastic both times, and the movie is great, should have been nominated for more Oscars. Definitely a highlight of Friday for me.

MonsoonSeason
01-23-2008, 09:55 AM
do you think that girl from Once will come out to sing?

also are these guys just the frames renamed?

bug on your lip
01-23-2008, 09:58 AM
i don't want to internets them

will some nerd just post a mix

musicfan66
01-23-2008, 10:04 AM
do you think that girl from Once will come out to sing?

also are these guys just the frames renamed?

Yes, I'm pretty sure she (Markéta Irglová) will be there. At the show I saw in D.C. last November there were a few members of the Frames. When I saw them open for Damien Rice it was just Glen and Marketa.

the andalusian dog
01-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Yes, I'm pretty sure she (Markéta Irglová) will be there. At the show I saw in D.C. last November there were a few members of the Frames. When I saw them open for Damien Rice it was just Glen and Marketa.]

Marketa Irglova is 50% of the band so I feel pretty good that she will be there :rolleyes

full on idle
01-28-2008, 04:50 PM
This album is so fucking wonderful.

braundiggity
01-28-2008, 05:19 PM
oh my god i didn't realize who swell season was. SWEET. Oddly, this makes me feel better about the entire coachella lineup.

beltanegoddess
01-28-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm totally excited to see them! I immediately got the soundtrack to 'Once' as soon as I'd seen the movie.

Purplegator
01-28-2008, 05:29 PM
I am really thrilled to see them, saw The Frames play on the web cast last year! They were amazing! I was so bummed I wasn't there, see if you can find video from that performance on You Tube, they were great! Also I have read some Swell Season set lists and they do some Frames songs. I don't want to miss these guys! The movie is amazing too! (Once)

Maaarc
01-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Gonna be one of the best Act this year.
Glen has an amazing voice, and Marketa is too hot for words.

It's true.

MusicSoundsBetterWithYou
01-28-2008, 06:03 PM
soo excited!

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
01-28-2008, 06:33 PM
I heart the Swell Season.

MarkO
01-28-2008, 06:36 PM
I guess I need to revisit this band.

sbessiso
01-28-2008, 06:40 PM
guess i need to see the movie

chiapet
01-28-2008, 06:53 PM
You really really really should see the movie. It's that good.

I skipped the Frames last year but caught up with them at Bumbershoot. They did a few of the songs from the movie/soundtrack and The Swell Season CD. It was good but nothing compared to Glen and Marketa performing the songs. (They were here last year). I'm really excited to see them again.

Somewhat Damaged
01-28-2008, 06:58 PM
I had a terrible headache overtake me halfway during Once but I was enjoying the movie so much that I decided to stay till it was over. I bought the soundtrack the next day and included it in my top 10 of last year. (The only weak song is "Gold.") Is there an actual Swell Season record? I heard that "Falling Slowly" may lose its Oscar nomination (which would be a travesty) because it appeared on another CD before the film was released. Songs I'm looking forward to the most are "All the Way Down," "Leave," "If You Want Me," and "Lies."

EDIT: So there is a Swell Season CD. I looked up the band name on allmusic but there wasn't a match. Was it released under a different artist name?

chiapet
01-28-2008, 07:02 PM
It's released by Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova. It's not a Frames album.

chiapet
01-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Okay, for those of you awho are not convinced:

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/once/

Somewhat Damaged
01-28-2008, 07:34 PM
It's released by Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova. It's not a Frames album.

Cool, thanks. Are most of the songs also found on the soundtrack or are the tracklists different enough that it's worth it to get both?

Encaitare
01-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Holy Shit! I remember flipping channels a few months back when I was visiting home and seeing a music video/song that DIDNT SUCK on VH1 and being totally excited, but I never remembered who they were or anything after that - until just now when I looked at that wiki page! Thanks ardentbiscuit!

chiapet
01-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Cool, thanks. Are most of the songs also found on the soundtrack or are the tracklists different enough that it's worth it to get both?

There are a few songs in common between their CD and the soundtrack. Most are different.

im so indie
01-28-2008, 10:53 PM
BTW: this is damn impressive. what a set of pipes!

NrlkDfk_f-c

wstsidela
01-28-2008, 11:13 PM
The Frames were awesome last year. One of my faves. I had no idea who they were but they knocked my socks off. If the lead singer is in The Swell Season then I'm there.

lovelifemusic
02-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Yay! Other people that are excited about Swell Season.

I love The Frames they're freakin amazing
if you dont know who they are you definitely need to
http://www.theframes.ie

oh! and btw did anyone know the Swell Season is performing live at the Academy Awards?? & nominated for Best Song.

DaFunkyPrecedent
02-20-2008, 12:44 PM
This show is going to be packed! So many people are going to check them out, it's going to be amazing. Tons on energy.

oooduga
02-20-2008, 12:52 PM
BTW: this is damn impressive. what a set of pipes!

NrlkDfk_f-c

I was unfamiliar with both the frames or swell season but this is a great song. Will def try and check them out.

phxunderground
02-22-2008, 05:32 AM
I didn't realize these were those guys. I love the movie. I found it inspiring and beautiful. These guys are at the top of my list to see now for the entire festival. Friday is getting way too crowded. No!!!

loser999
02-24-2008, 07:10 PM
oscar winners! so excited to see them

Donaldj
02-24-2008, 07:15 PM
oscar winners! so excited to see them

Yea, it was crappy they cut Marketa Irglova off before doing her thank yous but way cooler that they let her come back out after the commercial break.

Cdubby
02-24-2008, 07:31 PM
incredibly boring music to me :(

PassiveTheory
02-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Somehow I think that this band will be the Gnarls Barkley of 08 (Amy Wino in 07)... The band with pop appeal that'll be placed in the Gobi and fill er' up.

rage patton
02-24-2008, 07:47 PM
They are billed too high on the poster to be the Amy Winhouse or Gnarls Barkley of 08.

PassiveTheory
02-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Please... It's all about anonymity. No one knew about Gnarls or Winehouse until a few months before their performance. This Grammy winning thing will shoot the Swell Season through the roof.

matildawong
02-24-2008, 08:15 PM
And the song from "Once" just won an Oscar.

summerkid
02-24-2008, 08:17 PM
They are billed too high on the poster to be the Amy Winhouse or Gnarls Barkley of 08.

yeah, they won't be in the gobi. Outdoor theatre for sure.

Boourns
02-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Outdoor Theatre against Jack Johnson?

rage patton
02-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Outdoor Theatre against Jack Johnson?

Nah, that will be for the Breeders.

Somewhat Damaged
02-24-2008, 08:41 PM

So Jack Johnson vs. The Breeders vs. Fatboy Slim?

boyalien0
02-24-2008, 08:54 PM
JJ's set will probably end before Fatboy's set entirely, or at the most, 15 to 25 minutes into it.

rage patton
02-24-2008, 08:59 PM
So Jack Johnson vs. The Breeders vs. Fatboy Slim?

Thats my prediction. And it totally makes sense too. I will be bummed missing The Breeder. But conflicts are inevitable.

hammerandasickle
02-24-2008, 09:21 PM
jj v breeders v fatboy v the "awesome sounds" of disney's enchanted

damon8
02-24-2008, 09:47 PM
saw em on the spirit awards yesterday and they were awesome!!! very powerful peformance..once again Coachella shows why this year lineup is Kool..... once you do the research and check the line up out!!

MarkO
02-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Wow, never thought I would see this happen.

Congrats Glen !!!!

Sonicifyouwantit
02-24-2008, 10:11 PM
each year there is a band in the mojave that should be on the outdoor or mainstage...peter bjorn, Clap your hands, wolfmother...this year may be the swell season. expect an extremely overpacked mojave if they are in fact booked for that stage....also font size of a bands name on the poster does not mean they will be on a smaller or bigger stage. The group just won an acadamy award tonight sooooo buzz will be high.

sk8r408
02-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Watch this thread start blowing up...

right about now...

tessalasset
02-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Hahaha I didn't even know this thread existed cause I don't tread outside the Lounges. I've been a huge huge Frames/Glen Hansard fan for the past four years so I've been a Swell Season fan since the beginning (which I realize isn't that long at all). Glen is my second favorite singer in the world after Damien Rice.

I was so fucking excited that the Frames played Coachella last year. I just looked them up on youtube right now and actually found video with me in it.

vSfFDDNED6s
when the camera starts its first close up of Glen, I'm standing right behind him in the green striped shirt and black hat. I seriously love this guy to death. Got to talk to him a little bit after their set and he said he was so fucking miserable from the heat - it was the hottest set he's ever played - so I'm sure he'll be much happier with a later day set this year. I'm hoping for a sunset timeslot as well.

I just can't believe Once has done as well as it has. Jennie and I went to a couple screenings of the movie before it came out last year. In one of them, Glen, Mar and John Carney came out and played the songs from the movie. Here's my terrible camera phone capture of Falling Slowly:

BwuzENenJ3Q

I wrote a lot about this in the upcoming shows thread, but Swell Season just played at a fucking guitar shop in Santa Monica last weekend for about 100 people and scalper tix were too expensive for me. My friend Lars got in and ended up whipping out his harmonica during their bob dylan cover and spontaneously played with them. They were so blown away they invited him to their dressing room afterwards and then he went out to swingers with them and Damien Rice. Kind of a little bit jealous.

I am so glad this thread exists cause I am a fangirl like whoa.

Boourns
02-25-2008, 08:49 AM

No way, reunions never go down on the Outdoor.

TonyWonder
02-25-2008, 09:50 AM
No way, reunions never go down on the Outdoor.

Are the Breeders a reunion? I thought that they were simply on hiatus.

mschirmersf
02-25-2008, 09:57 PM
I saw them in San Francisco recently and they were brilliant. Very humble people. The music from the movie is great. He tends to talk a lot during his set but he's charming... I can't wait!

tessalasset
02-26-2008, 12:54 AM
You gotta love the accent. And this...

674qAnWPcXQ

after his pedal broke at the el rey, he just kept going.

tessalasset
02-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Awww here's another clip I took at a screening of Once that I just found. It's crazy he can just whip out the emotion that easily.

I0D-PP_eITI