PDA

View Full Version : MIA Live?

ifulmer
01-22-2008, 03:01 PM
I liked Arular and Kala was one of my favourite CDs of the year but has anyone seen her live? Like a lot of live hip-hop (or I guess really any genre) I could see it either being on the verge of emotional break down amazing or embarrassing.... What's the word?

microcuts
01-22-2008, 03:03 PM
I saw her in 2005 at Coachella and again just a few months ago when she opened for Bjork in Detroit. I wasn't really impressed either time, to be honest. She has a DJ spinning beats behind her while she sings, raps, and dances. When she opened for Bjork, she had an additional back-up singer/dancer girl. It reminded me of 80's, especially the clothes she was wearing. Kind of like early Salt-n-Pepa, hah.

nationocean
01-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Not only that but she plays late all the fucking time like lady sov or amy winehouse.. the times i've seen her, she shows up late. has a bitch of an attitude. i love her albums but i will skip her live at this years coachella..

donkey sex
01-22-2008, 03:09 PM
The '05 gig at Coachella was her US debut. I remember being barely outside the tent when a swarm of bees passed. This boy fell to the ground in panic and curled into the fetal position. He was obviously on drugs and freaked out.

MIA was high energy and fun. With her experience and new album music it should be a worthwhile show to attend.

M Sparks
01-22-2008, 03:21 PM
I thought she killed at Vegoose.

EDIT- Oh, and I usually hate live hiphop shows.

PrettyRagdoll
01-22-2008, 03:22 PM
I've seen M.I.A twice now. Once in a small club in Hollywood and then at Vegoose. Both times were brilliant and she wasn't late. Her live shows are like I said, brilliant and just full of energy. If you like her music you'll definitly like her live. And if you want to get on stage, make sure you're close to the stage when she starts. Both times I've seen her she's had people on stage during Bird Flu. And at Vegoose, I actually got up there.

waxybk
01-22-2008, 03:25 PM
I saw her over the summer and she was pretty kick ass.

Trick Loves The Kids
01-22-2008, 03:32 PM
If Lowbudget is still her DJ (he was on the last tour) then she HAS to kill it, that dude is insane behind the turntables.

jennygirl
01-22-2008, 03:47 PM
I saw her from the pit at the Wiltern a couple months ago and she KILLED! I cannot wait to see her at Coachella!!!

Aa0275
01-22-2008, 03:50 PM
I saw her at Austin City Limits and Voodoo fest and thought she was awesome.
I mean she definately appeals to a certain crowd.

rage patton
01-22-2008, 04:17 PM
I would rather watch 10 Jack Johnson sets then see MIA live.

800lb
01-22-2008, 04:30 PM
I saw her in 05' and had a blast. She knows how to move a crowd.

NoGwenPlease
01-22-2008, 04:31 PM
I liked Arular and Kala was one of my favourite CDs of the year but has anyone seen her live? Like a lot of live hip-hop (or I guess really any genre) I could see it either being on the verge of emotional break down amazing or embarrassing.... What's the word?
She puts on a great show... climbs on the rafters pretty high... dances her ass off and her back up singer/dancer is freaking hot as hell.

normalone75
01-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Santogold will be like MIA. Maybe diplo will spin for both. Switch apparently isint coming.

gazercmh
01-22-2008, 04:49 PM
i've seen her twice -- first time three years ago, second time this year -- and got bored after about 10 minutes both times.

internal wrangler
01-22-2008, 04:54 PM
If you love her music, then you'll most likely dance like hell regardless of what she' doing. If you're expecting Cirqe du Soleil on stage, you'll be disappointed. She's been amazing every time I've seen her though..especially at Vegoose.

HunterGather
01-22-2008, 04:54 PM
I would rather watch 10 Jack Johnson sets then see MIA live.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/r3v3r3nd_album/fail1.jpg

imamoonmonster
01-22-2008, 04:55 PM
are you kidding? MIA live is soooooo much fun, i saw her at autin city limits and then again at voodoo fest right before RAGE and it was like a giant dance party... lights and awesome videos and just fun to jam around too. definitely see her... im assuming shes improved and grown alot since the people who saw her right after her first album came out and she wasnt well known and probably had no budget. do it! its badass!

imamoonmonster
01-22-2008, 04:57 PM
I saw her at Austin City Limits and Voodoo fest and thought she was awesome.
I mean she definately appeals to a certain crowd.

hey! whatup ash!

(shes my festival friend. or well, just actual friend. but yea, VOODOO OR BUST! haha.)

B∞Rdomž
01-22-2008, 05:46 PM
i haven't listened to MIA
any recommendations on what to start with?

TonyWonder
01-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Saw MIA at ACL and HOB and both shows were excellent. The sound was a little fucked up at ACL but I wasn't sure if it was the soundsystem or MIA.

chiapet
01-22-2008, 06:07 PM
I saw her a couple of times last year, one was a festival and she went on at her scheduled time. Both were good sets, more amusing than embarrassing. It doesn't seem like that would be a problem at Coachella, barring technical difficulties.

Start with Kala, most of the album is pretty good. I think others have already mentioned songs on another thread but maybe bird flu, paper planes, boyz. If you get past that check out the previous album.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-22-2008, 06:30 PM
20 Dollar is the fucking song of the year, by the way.

dnham
01-22-2008, 07:53 PM
i haven't listened to MIA
any recommendations on what to start with?

Download Kala, the entire album is solid. If you don't want to hear everything, get the songs Paper Planes, $20, Jimmy, Bamboo Banger.

I also loved her first release Arular and the one that people don't know much about, Piracy Funds Terrorism...the latter has lots of influence from Diplo and it's totally awesome!! Just get everything.

far gone and out
01-22-2008, 08:07 PM
mia puts on a wicked show, you will not be disappointed.

i've seen her 4 times in various settings and every time she kicked it. she stole the show at vfest this year with bjork, interpol and the arctic monkeys on the bill after her.

donkey sex
01-22-2008, 09:56 PM
I like to approach her backside onstage and see what happens.

M Sparks
01-23-2008, 04:40 AM
Once in a small club in Hollywood and then at Vegoose. Both times were brilliant and she wasn't late.

Actually, she was pretty late at Vegoose. Wasn't her fault though...it looked to me like they hung her video projector up and forgot to hook it up to anything. At the time she was supposed to hit, they were lowering the light truss to run a vid cable. It also could have been Public Enemy's fault...they went on 15 minutes late right before her.

bonogirl68
01-23-2008, 05:54 AM
She was great at Lollapalooza last summer.

punkgirl
01-23-2008, 07:43 AM
I saw MIA at VooDoo in October and to be honest, I was not impressed. I typically can dig on good rap live (Wu Tang was really great at Bumbershoot 2007) but MIA just seemed . . . off? Seemed like it would be a fun set, but the DJ and the rapping just seemed like they weren't even doing the same song at the same time . . . it was strange. Maybe I just don't understand MIA? To each his/her own :)

phyrekraker
01-23-2008, 10:22 AM
hahaha. i remember that!

flowbee
01-23-2008, 10:28 AM
I hate that song Jimmy

SkinnyBalink
01-23-2008, 10:31 AM
She was one of my most anticipated acts at Lollapalooza this summer, and I must say I was pretty disappointed. Granted, she did say she was sick (and kept taking breaks for some throat spray action), but overall she didn't sound that great. The energy was high though, I will say that.

aphrael
01-23-2008, 10:34 AM
I saw MIA at the Treasure Island Music Festival last September, and was underwhelmed; I ended up fighting my way back out of the crowd to go buy beer instead of hanging out and listening.

colingallant
01-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Her vocals aren't as good as on the album but she kills it performance wise. I couldn't take my eyes off her for a second the first time I saw her, the outfit and the videos with the whole crowd packed tight and going crazy. I saw her again in november and it was pretty much the exact same with a little longer of a set and new videos.

djoz187
01-23-2008, 11:19 AM
I think she's awesome live and has a lot of energy! I saw her twice last year and enjoyed her performances in a small(rickshaw stop, SF) and super large venue(terminal 5, NY)

thedevious
01-23-2008, 11:32 AM
And take your money! MIA fucking murdered Vegoose one of the few acts that were worth watching. Seriously we were all there just for Daft Punk.

She also killed the after party at the joint. Set aside at least 15 minutes for her, you won't be disappointed.

gmoneyak
01-23-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm not the biggest fan, but I saw her at the T.I. Music Festival and Vegoose last year and thought she put on good shows.. Good energy, insane bass and sound.

She also has a huge and loyal fanbase, so I'm sure her Coachella show will be entertaining..

Sexecutioner
01-23-2008, 12:24 PM
ive heard so many good things about her around here, so i downloaded kala and am about 5 songs in. all i can say is damn, you people have bad taste. this shit is horrible.

whynotsmile99
01-23-2008, 12:28 PM
ive heard so many good things about her around here, so i downloaded kala and am about 5 songs in. all i can say is damn, you people have bad taste. this shit is horrible.

yea i tired, but can't get into her either. its just...hmmm...annoying

Sexecutioner
01-23-2008, 12:31 PM
yea i tired, but can't get into her either. its just...hmmm...annoying

soooo fuckin annoying that i cant even believe so many people love her! i hope she puts on one hell of a live act, to make up for this horrible noise on her album.

faxman75
01-23-2008, 12:35 PM
I was arguing Rihanna was better than her and a lot more sexy. Apparently the differences is Riahanna puts on a much better stage show and isn't as socially aware of human conditions in Sri Lanka.

I am not impressed at all with M.I.A. I think she's way overrated amongs the hipsters like most bands that get throttled to the forfront by the Pirtchfork loyalists.

M Sparks
01-23-2008, 12:44 PM
so i downloaded kala and am about 5 songs in. all i can say is damn, you people have bad taste.

Yeah, I don't think I would want to listen to her on CD.

The question was "is she good live?" For me...yes.

merznerve
01-29-2008, 12:52 AM
I've seen her three times. My first was at coachella in 05 and most recently for her tour for kala. It's been different each time really, but i was utterly impressed each time. New album samples a lot of machine guns and bass, very retro. go if you wanna get your dance on

She is definitely worth checking out, when i saw her last she had more of a production with lots of visuals, no live instruments though, not to my knowledge. I was actually working as a runner for the show and was able to meet her. She was nice in person and seemed pretty high too!

sassypants
01-29-2008, 05:32 AM
I watched the Vegoose webcast last year and I thought M.I.A. was boring and lacked any stage presence. I couldn't stand it longer than 10 minutes. If she doesn't conflict with any other acts, I'll try to catch her set at Coachella. Otherwise: meh.

JSam67
01-29-2008, 05:45 AM
I will go to great lengths to avoid her set this year.

unknown
01-30-2008, 12:10 PM
If you like Arular and Kala is one of your favorite albums, then you should enjoy the live show. I checked her out at Vegoose, was in the front for all the crazy mass mobbing the stage. You cannot judge her show by anything you see online - even when I saw her live, her voice was not the same as on the albums probably due to being outside and trying hard to be heard over the music. The bass KILLS, her beats are the SHIT loud and live, the energy is very high. I had a blast. $20 owns.

oh... I ran into old friends before her set @ Vegoose, they were off in different directions to see whoever else was playing (think the shins), I told them to stay for M.I.A. and they all loved it. One of the best performances of that weekend.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-30-2008, 12:26 PM
soooo fuckin annoying that i cant even believe so many people love her! i hope she puts on one hell of a live act, to make up for this horrible noise on her album.

Sir, her music is not noise. If you want noise, let me recommend you listening to Animal Collective.

psychic friend
01-30-2008, 12:27 PM
I thought mia at vegoose was fun.

just sayin

msklvr
01-30-2008, 12:32 PM
I saw some of her set at Vegoose, too. Meh.

humanoid
01-30-2008, 01:00 PM
saw her @ Coachella '05, and I thought she kicked ass

paulb
01-30-2008, 01:16 PM
I saw her at Lollapalooza and she really sucked, she blew her voice the day before at the Echoplex...thanks guys.

Im willing to give her another chance, ill def be catching her set at Coachella.

bartelby
01-30-2008, 04:20 PM
i was a big skeptic of hers but ended up seeing her set at the V fest and was very impressed...

and i normally abhor live hip-hop acts

Ritestyl
01-30-2008, 04:24 PM
im over the machine guns sounds, but its a fun show

woogie846
01-30-2008, 04:48 PM
I'll probably check out a little bit of her set and see how she sounds.

Moe Train
01-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Her sets are badass. (Saw her at Lolla and Vegoose this year) I actually got up onstage during her set at Vegoose. The stage literally almost broke.

mstrkrftwrk
01-30-2008, 07:38 PM
She was the only act i saw @ Vegoose and she made it well worth the trip out there. . .

Changoloco
01-30-2008, 08:50 PM
I saw her in 05 and it was not that good, not terrible but nothing to write home about. I think I had my expectations set high because I had heard so much good about her. I tell you one thing, this girl has one of the most singularly ugly websites on earth. I feel like I'm going to go into an epileptic fit when I go on her site, WOW! http://www.miauk.com/

meyouseek
03-26-2008, 11:21 AM
I recommend getting close to the speakers for M.I.A. You need to feel the beats to get the proper ass-shaking mix of sounds. I'm not sure you're gonna be super stoked if you just wander by the back of the crowd. I really dig her voice and delivery but I've heard others are annoyed. So decide for yourself on that one.

Her set at Echoplex was heaps of fun and Vegoose was good, but possibly less polished. That's what I remember anyhow... not having beer gardens will change your perception and recollection of show specifics.

psycobetabuckdown
03-26-2008, 11:23 AM
I recommend getting close to the speakers for M.I.A. You need to feel the beats to get the proper ass-shaking mix of sounds. I'm not sure you're gonna be super stoked if you just wander by the back of the crowd. I really dig her voice and delivery but I've heard others are annoyed. So decide for yourself on that one.

Her set at Echoplex was heaps of fun and Vegoose was good, but possibly less polished. That's what I remember anyhow... not having beer gardens will change your perception and recollection of show specifics.

I was in front when she came to the Fillmore and I still thought it was boring. She's not a rapper, she's not a singer, her voice isn't interesting enough to make her show worth watching without instruments. I was so pissed my at-the-time gf forced me to leave before LCD Soundsystem.

meyouseek
03-26-2008, 11:27 AM
I was in front when she came to the Fillmore and I still thought it was boring. She's not a rapper, she's not a singer, her voice isn't interesting enough to make her show worth watching without instruments. I was so pissed my at-the-time gf forced me to leave before LCD Soundsystem.

Watching? You should be dancing. If you don't dig the beats I can't help you. The voice is as I said, a matter of taste that can possibly ruin it for you.

psycobetabuckdown
03-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Watching? You should be dancing. If you don't dig the beats I can't help you. The voice is as I said, a matter of taste that can possibly ruin it for you.

I like her albums, I just need something more at a show. And yes, I like hip-hop shows live. And I like her voice too, I'm just saying it's not enough to propel a live show. She should have a touring band.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-26-2008, 11:57 AM
I'll be there, I had fun at her Vegoose show

BlackSwan
03-26-2008, 12:01 PM
gf forced me to leave before LCD Soundsystem.

there is never a good reason to miss LCD Soundsystem

BlackSwan
03-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Seeing MIA live is awesome if you like the sound of gun shots.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-26-2008, 12:02 PM
I do BANG BANG RATATATATATATATATATT BANG BANG!!!

DaFunkyPrecedent
03-30-2008, 12:43 PM
just be really close! MIA is a show you need to be "in the crowd" for. CANT WAIT! plus - chicks go crazy for her which always makes a show more fun. Hot chicks dancing out of control.