PDA

View Full Version : Who saw Kraftwerk in '04 ?

MarkO
01-22-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm listening to the boot right now and it sounds great.

Any thoughts, input ? What are they like on stage ?

nationocean
01-22-2008, 02:50 PM
i was. they stand there in once place alot. lol. no, but the sound was great. if you have not seen them yet, definitely check them out. the godfathers of electronic music.

instinct
01-22-2008, 02:53 PM
I saw them in 04.. but not at Coachella.. or maybe it was 05.. Anyways.. Their show is awesome.. plus i really love their music.

internal wrangler
01-22-2008, 02:54 PM
I did, and it wasn't that great.

MarkO
01-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Thx nationocean. They are a must see for me if for no other reason but to pay respect.

pandaroo
01-22-2008, 02:55 PM
i did. its great sound. boring ass performance. no reason to see them live

fober
01-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Toilet mentioned something about giving them more space so I'm thinking it will be a more elaborate stage setup.

thepoetblue
01-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Missed them in '04, have listened to the boot many times, undecided as to '08 but will probably check them out as MarkO said - for respect.

MarkO
01-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Toilet mentioned something about giving them more space so I'm thinking it will be a more elaborate stage setup.

Were they in the Sahara in '04 ?

cloud9
01-22-2008, 03:02 PM
was realyl crowded and ehy could not se e them very welled but sound jst great and say hmm seem to be kite a few peiple who just stnded there and not dance so am not sured wat to do hey maybed they will do some new song for a new album i mean w;h y could bring them back so sooned anyways right well i jgues just hoppin g for the best hehe :dumbo

cloud9
01-22-2008, 03:03 PM
yea it was in the ssarah

nationocean
01-22-2008, 03:12 PM
they could be the outdoor stage this year, like daft punk did. they definitely need to kick it up a notch since they've already played coachella before. but to think they were one of the first bands to say 'lets just use keyboards and nothing else' like 30 years ago is pretty amazing..

shotglass75
01-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Even if the music isn't your thing, it is a show that you shouldn't miss. Especially on the main stage. I think they will bring even a better show this year

thepoetblue
01-22-2008, 03:26 PM
When exactly was DP on the outdoor stage?

MarkO
01-22-2008, 03:53 PM
They never were afaik.

Trick Loves The Kids
01-22-2008, 03:53 PM
they're on the main stage this year.

ciaoq
01-22-2008, 03:57 PM
kraftwerk are amazing live

brycerosen
01-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Ive seen them their presence is boring(they barely move or show any emotion) but the visuals are almost as good as daft

ivankay
01-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Seeing them in 2004 was my second time. The first time was at the Palladium in 98 i think. Coachella was spectacular, but it can't top that 98 show because of the anticipation caused by a "first time in the US in 20 years" (was it really 20?) hype. That show was majorly dope for the sole reason of bringing together all the tribes who have roots in Kraftwerk (hip hop, house, techno...blah, blah, blah...getting too old for the crappy label shit) All the times i have seen them (throw in the Greek show in 05 (http://renegademartian.buzznet.com/user/video/play/487/man-machine/?p=5)) the sound was brilliant. The visuals are very cool. Meaningful at times and may move you deep inside. Sure they don't jump around and put on a "show" for you, but that's part of the point of Kraftwerk and the merging of human and machine. When emotion is shown, as little as it is, the crowd could go koo koo over a big smile from a guy holding a calculator like thing during "Pocket Calculator". It's going to have to be a serious conflict to cause an internal debate of not seeing them for a 4th time. Here's a couple of pictures from 2004:

http://buzznet-98.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/the_Sahara_for_Kraftwerk_in_2004--large-msg-11840529219.jpg
The Sahara looked way better than this photo represents

http://buzznet-65.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/Kraftwerk_at_Coachella_2004_crop--large-msg-118405175974.jpg

electrokinesis
01-22-2008, 05:47 PM
I saw them in '04.

Most critics refer to them as "The Beatles Of Electronic Music".
I always hated the Beatles - KRAFTWERK ARE FAR SUPERIOR!!!!

ALSO DON'T FORGET THAT THEY MADE EXPERIMENTAL/NOISE ROCK BEFORE THEY WENT FULLY ELECTRONIC in 1974/75. You will never hear any of that stuff played live because they purposely neglect this early phase of their career; much like early Fleetwood Mac or early Underworld.

Their regular set was cut by almost an hour, so no one saw the complete show unless they went to one their US shows in '05.

They may add "Computer Love" and "Showroom Dummies" to the set as they did in their '06 European gigs.

Don't expect an elaborate set-up.
They use the same set-up regardless of how much room they have.

Yes, they hardly move. That is one part of their image.
They are the only group of men in their late 50's- early 60's who don't look completely ridiculous onstage!

The fact that they just use laptops is mainly the only reason why we've seen more of them in the last four years - they used to pack up their whole goddamn studio with them and take it on tour!!!

This made touring anywhere outside of Europe very time consuming and expensive for them back in the day. So if you lived in North America, Australia or Japan, then you were screwed!!!

What 95% of people fail to realize is that Kraftwerk virtually created modern electronic music.

Another important thing to remember is that without them, AT LEAST HALF OF ANY OF THE ARTISTS THAT HAVE EVER PLAYED COACHELLA IN ANY GIVEN YEAR WOULDN'T EVEN EXIST!!!!

THEY RARELY TOUR IN THE US - They have only toured here five times - in 1975, 1981, 1998, 2004 and 2005

Hardly anyone here in the US knows that because they are very secretive, because they are German, and because it is part of their own design.

So if you don't see them at Coachella, you will probably only have one chance to see them again on west coast (usually in LA) if they tour here again.

Their show is legendary - if you think they suck or that they're boring, then you don't deserve to call yourself a fan of electronic music - PERIOD!

I highly doubt this is for a new album - it could be in support of "The Catalog" box set which has been delayed since 2004.

I will leave you with this thought - the fact that Kraftwerk have only released three new albums in the last 22 years without being dropped from EMI is a testament to how much they rule and how influential they really are!

How Portishead has top billing above them is totally beyond me!

crazzz2007
01-22-2008, 05:53 PM
way too worn out after radiohead. we also partied really really really hard that day, so we missed kraftwerk since we couldn't get a good spot to see all the visuals.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-22-2008, 06:47 PM
They were fun. Go see them. If BOREtishead doesn't lull you off to sleep first. OH YEAH!

B∞Rdom§
01-22-2008, 06:51 PM
anyone else thing kraftwerk will turn out like jesus and marry chain
all this hype
and great music
but live will be a snooze?

gratytrainridesagain
01-22-2008, 06:59 PM
all this hype
and great music

Really?

I thought JAMC was one of the best performances last year.

instinct
01-22-2008, 07:32 PM
I can pretty much garuntee it's going to be exactly like the 2004 show.. looking at their video clips.. it's pretty much the same.. they all stand still playing on their laptops (it's part of the image), while they play some dope ass visuals.. seriously.. I loved it when I saw them in 05.. and I'll love them in 08. I still love Kraftwerks music.. It doesn't sound old and corny.. still great music to this day.

COMPUTER WORLD!!!

lostsoul86
01-22-2008, 07:37 PM
ya i was listening to that robot song ... not my thing . but hey ill prabably be drunk by noon that day so whatevers

betao
01-22-2008, 07:44 PM
i'll be flying all the way from VA, and kraftwerk is probably 50% of the reason. Holy shit.. i still cant believe I might be able to actually see them.

xbnmx
01-22-2008, 09:01 PM
they're on the main stage this year.

Based upon what?

I am worried that with no new material this is going to be the exact same show.

orbit
01-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Paul said so. Main stage for kraftwerk.

sddoctor
01-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Kraftwerk were great in '04...From what I saw and heard in the back of the Sahara.

xbnmx
01-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Paul said so. Main stage for kraftwerk.

Link?

orbit
01-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Press conference yesterday.

Boourns
01-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I can't miss them again. God, I pity the bands conflicting with Portishead and Kraftwerk.

Somewhat Damaged
01-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Based upon what?

Based on Paul saying so during the press conference.

I saw them in '04. I had been shrooming all day and was fucking exhausted after Radiohead. It didn't help matters that Indio was experiencing record-setting heat that weekend. I almost wanted to leave but my friend was a Kraftwerk acolyte and said, "Fine, but I'm going to see Kraftwerk no matter what." So I stuck with him and we nudged our way into the thick of the crowd about 3/4 of the way back. I managed to stand for a couple of songs but had to eventually sit down. And despite all that, I still thought it was amazing. The crowd went apeshit when the robots were revealed. "Radioactivity" became my favorite song of the weekend. Getting to see them again is a pretty great privilege, and if they play right after Portishead on the main stage, that may just rank behind Daft Punk as my favorite Coachella memory.

Boourns
01-22-2008, 09:12 PM
http://buzznet-98.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/the_Sahara_for_Kraftwerk_in_2004--large-msg-11840529219.jpg
The Sahara looked way better than this photo represents

http://buzznet-65.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/Kraftwerk_at_Coachella_2004_crop--large-msg-118405175974.jpg

Holy crap, look at that crowd. Being on the main stage this time around really makes sense.

drugks Gillespie
01-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Kraftwerk blew my mind after Radiohead and the Pixies. Best acid trip ever.

nbvwes
01-23-2008, 10:11 AM

needing new material from Kraftwerk?? that's like saying Aphex Twin would be boring unless HE played new material... besides the fact that just about every song they'll do is over 20 years old (and there best stuff is over 30 years old)...

i'm thinking Sasha & Digweed/Kraftwerk/Portishead as more an ecstacy night than a shrooms nite... i'll save that for Roger Waters/Love & Rockets/Spiritualized

RedThom
01-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Such a scary and yet fucking radical light show.

a-noize
01-23-2008, 10:29 AM
I also saw them in '04 and their show is amazing!
Not as high powered like DP, but the sound and visuals are fantastic.

Cheers

thebattleofphoenix
01-23-2008, 01:44 PM
They sounded really good at Coachella, but they sounded even better at the Greek Theatre the next time I saw them. I'll take a full set over a festival set anyday. But that's only if I HAVE to choose. I'm going to see them this year anyways. Hopefully they'll do some more touring afterwards.

jackstraw94086
01-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Based upon what?

you didn't hear their Milkshake remix?

neverclever
01-23-2008, 02:03 PM

Doesn't Kraftwerk cover Coldplay's Clocks?

ha!

number9
01-23-2008, 02:59 PM
kraftwerk is the main act to see at coachella this year

can't wait

Sonicifyouwantit
01-23-2008, 03:05 PM
All I caught in 2004 was trans europe express and couldnt get into tent cuz it was waaay too crowded, so here is my chance

suprefan
01-23-2008, 03:11 PM
The german robots will rule the night, this will live up to the hype and nobody is going to think this show sucks.

ANYONE who thinks that this is supposed to be a ''Daft Punk'' esque type of performance with crazy crazy lights and glowing robot suits is going to be dissapointed.

They killed in 2004, I only watched liek half the set cause my g/f at the time was dead tired after the Radiohead set.

canexplain
01-23-2008, 03:28 PM
i sort of grew up with them for electronic music so when i saw them at coachella in 04 (?) i was not dissappointed because i hadnt seen them in i guess 20 years .... some groups like the sex pistols, you just have to see, just to say you saw them .... canx**

Sonicifyouwantit
01-23-2008, 03:31 PM
The german robots will rule the night, this will live up to the hype and nobody is going to think this show sucks.

ANYONE who thinks that this is supposed to be a ''Daft Punk'' esque type of performance with crazy crazy lights and glowing robot suits is going to be dissapointed.

They killed in 2004, I only watched liek half the set cause my g/f at the time was dead tired after the Radiohead set.

I say let her sleep on the grass!

Memorial_07
01-24-2008, 07:43 PM
not big on electronic music, but I know good music when I hear it and I know who is legendary...
Kraftwerk is.
They are a must!

Bud Luster
01-24-2008, 07:49 PM

I dunno if your being serious about this, but its fucking funny either way. I'm just concerned that I will be bored w/ the set if they do something very similar to the last show. I really enjoyed the show, but just dont find it very ass moving.

*edit, also Jack I'm interested in your thoughts on the EDM lineup this year. another thread perhaps.

SessyMary
01-24-2008, 10:21 PM
The visual was blah, but the sound was insane.

Can't wait to see them this year again.

betao
01-24-2008, 10:35 PM
i sort of grew up with them for electronic music so when i saw them at coachella in 04 (?) i was not dissappointed because i hadnt seen them in i guess 20 years .... some groups like the sex pistols, you just have to see, just to say you saw them .... canx**

Ron, i'm dying to hear your concert history with kraftwerk. do tell.

noisemachine
01-24-2008, 11:17 PM
I have been wanting to see them badly ever since being introduced to them in 2004. It was so awesome. I was mad I didn't get to see them again when they toured the US after that. Now is my chance!

humanoid
01-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Sadly, my memories of Kraftwerk in '04 aren't exactly clear...but I know I enjoyed it!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-25-2008, 04:07 PM
I saw Kraftwerk in Japan back in 2002 for the (I think now defunct) Electraglide festival...was a odd show to say the least...they opened with Numbers and the Japanese fans went fucking NUTS....I missed them in 2004 because we tried to get over to the Sahara after Radiohead but were too busy looking for my little brother and by the time we found him the Sahara tent was filled to the gills and you couldn't see shit...the sound was incredible...Radioactivity is going to sound ever better on the main stage...

RODGERRAMJET
01-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Kraftwerk blew my mind after Radiohead and the Pixies. Best acid trip ever.

When a person needs mind-altering drugs in order to enjoy a band, well, that's "trippy". No, that's sad. I saw Kraftwerk in '04. They were very good. I enjoyed their show, but they were like a novelty act. Like Devo. See them once, that's enough. I don't really need to see them again. I'll throw Blue Man Group in this category, too. If you've never seen Kraftwerk live, you do owe it to yourself to catch their show. It's quite entertaining, in a novelty sort of way.

shakermaker113
01-27-2008, 06:11 PM
I seem to be the only person who thought they were really boring in 2004. if I closed my eyes I couldn't tell the difference from their records. for the first few songs I kept on doubting whether the geezers on stage were just mannequins, until I finally saw that their arms were moving up and down the keyboards slightly. (they did actually replace themselves with robot mannequins later on for 'the robots'). the visuals weren't anything memorable. ooh, pictures of bikes. yeah.

RODGERRAMJET
01-27-2008, 06:15 PM
I seem to be the only person who thought they were really boring in 2004. if I closed my eyes I couldn't tell the difference from their records. for the first few songs I kept on doubting whether the geezers on stage were just mannequins, until I finally saw that their arms were moving up and down the keyboards slightly. (they did actually replace themselves with robot mannequins later on for 'the robots'). the visuals weren't anything memorable. ooh, pictures of bikes. yeah.

That's what I'm sayin'. A novelty act. Like Devo. See them once. That's enough. I totally understand where you're comin' from.

LiKeBuTtAh !
02-04-2008, 11:52 PM
much homage owed to the "godfathers of electronica"...which is hardly a term used for a "novelty act"
without KRAFTWERK we'd be shoving snow cones up our collective asses just to see Zamfir (& His Magical Panflute)'s Sahara headline

I saw them in '04 & the vibe was amazing...I'm afraid that will be lost if on the Main Stage

0Wv3Ya9nskA

RickeyinLA
02-05-2008, 10:59 PM
The visual was blah, but the sound was insane.

Can't wait to see them this year again.

The visual was stunning and the sound was insane.

Saw them in Toronto 1981, Coachella 2004, Greek 2005, and will not miss them this time.

flowbee
02-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Ready to get my robot on

jigglypuflvr@mac.com
02-06-2008, 11:21 AM
When a person needs mind-altering drugs in order to enjoy a band, well, that's "trippy". No, that's sad. I saw Kraftwerk in '04. They were very good. I enjoyed their show, but they were like a novelty act. Like Devo. See them once, that's enough. I don't really need to see them again. I'll throw Blue Man Group in this category, too. If you've never seen Kraftwerk live, you do owe it to yourself to catch their show. It's quite entertaining, in a novelty sort of way.

you are stupid and ignorant.

uniform72
02-06-2008, 07:18 PM
They were very good. I enjoyed their show, but they were like a novelty act. Like Devo.

I gotta figure out how to sig this cause that's some funny ass shit right there. You basically commited cred suicide, just so you know. (If you're worried about that kind of thing.)

Kraftwerk in 04 was "fucking brilliant", as they say. If you're not a big fan of techno or witnessing living history then I would skip it.

Did I really see Radiohead right before seeing them? Coachella rules, just not as much this year.

BastardSonofTrevorFrancis
02-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Sorry. 1981 at Liverpool Royal Court (twice) and Tribal Gathering 1996 (with the Detroit tent closed so that Juan atkins and carl Craig etc could catch Kling Klang) was best i can offer. Well there were a few other gigs. This will change your life - have it!!

Trick Loves The Kids
02-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Well, he's right, they can't be a band if they don't use guitars.

€uroMeinke
02-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Saw them in 1981 at the Santa Monica Civic and was amazed at the show they put on. Missed them in 2004 and that's been one of my biggest Coachella regrets - but looks like I'll be able to make the up this year.

knotted_donuts
02-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Not sure if it's been this way for long... but did Kraftwerk just get bumped up next to Portishead on the individual day poster?

uniform72
02-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Nope. And I do hope that it's a RHCP/Tiesto type situation. As much as I love Portishead, it would be better to end with the robots.

Weeping Willow
02-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm listening to the boot right now and it sounds great.

Any thoughts, input ? What are they like on stage ?

I was at that set in '04. I wasn't too awfully excited about it but my friend dragged me to it and I was really pleasantly surprised. The sound was crisp, the video and production was awesome. It was an incredible experience. i went out and bought the live album they put out after that tour. I'll be there again this year.

uniform72
02-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Not sure if it's been this way for long... but did Kraftwerk just get bumped up next to Portishead on the individual day poster?

Oops, I hadn't seen the latest poster yet so now I actually know what you're talking about.

Abe Lincoln
02-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah,it makes Jack Johnson really glaring now,having the top line of Friday all to himself.That needs to be rectified somehow...

merznerve
02-08-2008, 02:32 AM
since the billing shows portishead + Kraftwerk as co headliners for sat. wouldn't it be wild if they played together for a portion of each others set?

but that probably won't happen.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-08-2008, 03:33 AM
since the billing shows portishead + Kraftwerk as co headliners for sat. wouldn't it be wild if they played together for a portion of each others set?

but that probably won't happen.

Would be sweet, but HIGHLY doubtful...and what kind of mess would they make? I mean such different sounds and all...dark and gloomy to Numbers?

depechemodekraftwerk
02-09-2008, 05:18 PM
ONE MORE NEGATIVE WORD ABOUT KRAFTWERK...

and im giving out 5's and 10's

AND THATS IN KNUCKLES

MarkO
02-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Sorry. 1981 at Liverpool Royal Court (twice) and Tribal Gathering 1996 (with the Detroit tent closed so that Juan atkins and carl Craig etc could catch Kling Klang) was best i can offer. Well there were a few other gigs. This will change your life - have it!!

Trevor Francis eh ? Great, great player in his day. Naff haircuts though.

electrokinesis
02-10-2008, 03:01 PM
I wasn't born yet when they played in Santa Monica in 1981.

However, I did see their legendary show at the Hollywood Palladium in 1998;
I also saw them at Coachella 2004, and I paid $1000 for tickets because "the show sold out".
BTW, Golden Voice, you were fucking assholes for lying about that!

I also saw them at the Greek Theater in 2005.

Whoever says that "Kraftwerk sucks" or "they're not as good as so-and-so" should have their ears sliced off like the cop in Resevoir Dogs.

PERIOD.

brando4n82
02-11-2008, 07:36 AM
I wasn't born yet when they played in Santa Monica in 1981.

However, I did see their legendary show at the Hollywood Palladium in 1998;
I also saw them at Coachella 2004, and I paid $1000 for tickets because "the show sold out".

I also saw them at the Greek Theater in 2005.

Whoever says that "Kraftwerk sucks" or "they're not as good as so-and-so" should have their ears sliced off like the cop in Resevoir Dogs.

PERIOD.

im pretty sure day one sold out... correct me?

electrokinesis
02-11-2008, 01:24 PM
im pretty sure day one sold out... correct me?

Yes, that was the only day that I had attended.

I specifically went to Coachella 2004 to see Kraftwerk.

I didn't give a shit about anyone else on that bill.

instinct
02-11-2008, 03:03 PM

Yes, that was the only day that I had attended.

I specifically went to Coachella 2004 to see Kraftwerk.

I didn't give a shit about anyone else on that bill.

So wait.. They lied that it was sold out, but it really was. Yes, Day 1 sold out in 2004, I know this because I missed day one and was only able to attend Day 2.

artisticcreator
02-11-2008, 03:15 PM
I was so bummed when I found out that Kraftwerk was going to be at Coachella. I had just bought my tickets to Amsterdam for 3weeks and made all the arrangements, that I thought were going to be after Coachella and they changed the normal dates to a week later. I could have gone crazy, but at least I had a great time in Amsterdam! But I won't miss them this year!

DaFunkyPrecedent
02-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Is kraftwerk better on lots of drugs?

instinct
02-11-2008, 04:55 PM
I was so bummed when I found out that Kraftwerk was going to be at Coachella. I had just bought my tickets to Amsterdam for 3weeks and made all the arrangements, that I thought were going to be after Coachella and they changed the normal dates to a week later. I could have gone crazy, but at least I had a great time in Amsterdam! But I won't miss them this year!

They never changed the date of Coachella. Have fun in Amsterdam.. I recommend going to the Heineken Museum, Free Beer.. and a lot of fun. Where are you staying?

betao
02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
They never changed the date of Coachella. Have fun in Amsterdam.. I recommend going to the Heineken Museum, Free Beer.. and a lot of fun. Where are you staying?

i think he was referring to 04... because he said he had alot of fun in Amsterdam...

Mr.Nipples
02-11-2008, 04:59 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k306/MikeyMiGo/autobahn.jpg

Sonicifyouwantit
02-11-2008, 07:06 PM

those are mighty big words you talk (get it?)

Sonicifyouwantit
02-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Is kraftwerk better on lots of drugs?

guess that depends on the person, kinda like pink floyd. I dont need it for either the music makes me feel like I already am on em.

jigglypuflvr@mac.com
02-12-2008, 07:45 AM
guess that depends on the person, kinda like pink floyd. I dont need it for either the music makes me feel like I already am on em.

he meant to say yes.

michaelmontanez
02-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Have you guys heard the Glass Candy version of Computer Love? It's pretty sexy.

jonnypark
02-12-2008, 11:04 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k306/MikeyMiGo/autobahn.jpg

Autobahn should play coachella.

electrokinesis
02-12-2008, 08:28 PM
So wait.. They lied that it was sold out, but it really was. Yes, Day 1 sold out in 2004, I know this because I missed day one and was only able to attend Day 2.

I read an article from one of the local newspapers that featured an interview from a man who said that he paid a lot for tickets on eBay, just as I did.

He went on to say that he discovered that tickets for day one were still being sold at the box office for regular price.

I also read that GoldenVoice said that day one was sold out because of fire code rules, but they over estimated the numbers.

This very well could be false, if you were truly unable to get in.

Bud Luster
02-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Hmm. i dig Kraftwerk cuz they ARE robots and dont just disguise themselves as robots on stage. You still dont know who they are when you see them in the grocery store though...

Rowrrr
02-12-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm a huge fan of all that is electronic music and always have been, so obviously I recognize the impact that Kraftwerk has had on the legacy of tunes I've loved so much over the course of my music loving life. I remember being 8 years old and making it a point to doze off to Autobahn every night for months at one point. Seriously... love 'em.

However...

....even with all of the respect in the world for them, I still can't help but feel like seeing them live would be no more than seeing an elaborate puppet show. Is that sick and wrong?

Young blood
02-15-2008, 01:22 PM
I wish Jean Michel Jarre would be invited to perform with kraftwerk. Lasers and shit.

nationocean
02-15-2008, 02:09 PM
ONE MORE NEGATIVE WORD ABOUT KRAFTWERK...

and im giving out 5's and 10's

AND THATS IN KNUCKLES

that's right, you tell 'em!

electrokinesis
02-18-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm a huge fan of all that is electronic music and always have been, so obviously I recognize the impact that Kraftwerk has had on the legacy of tunes I've loved so much over the course of my music loving life. I remember being 8 years old and making it a point to doze off to Autobahn every night for months at one point. Seriously... love 'em.

However...

....even with all of the respect in the world for them, I still can't help but feel like seeing them live would be no more than seeing an elaborate puppet show. Is that sick and wrong?

Without a doubt, YES!!!

peterluber
02-18-2008, 09:26 PM

you are stupid and ignorant.

QFT. Anyway, when did the OP of the acid comment ever mention that they "needed" the 'cid? Besides the fact that RODGER has incredibly ignorant opinions, he can't be taken seriously because he can't fucking read.

MarkO
06-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Bumpity bump.

For folks that saw '04 and '08, which did you think was better ?? I though this year was stunning tbh.

Pixiessp
06-23-2008, 08:43 PM
I was more chill in 04. I had just seen my favorite band come back after a long hiatus and was as happy as a clam.
This year I was anxious to see Portishead and I couldn't relax enough to enjoy the show.

Pixiessp
06-23-2008, 08:44 PM
It was surreal though this year. better on the main stage.

Sushov23
06-23-2008, 09:05 PM
yeah kraftwerk was great this year.

shakermaker113
06-23-2008, 11:25 PM
was it any different at all this year? I haven't heard from anyone who saw both, yet.

crazzz2007
06-24-2008, 01:44 AM
They were fun. Go see them. If BOREtishead doesn't lull you off to sleep first. OH YEAH!

worst take ever!!!!

crazzz2007
06-24-2008, 01:45 AM
all this hype
and great music

second worst take ever!!!

rage patton
06-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Kraftwerk were my favorite act at Coachella this year. I still can't put a finger on what it was about them... but they blew me away.

crazzz2007
06-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Kraftwerk were my favorite act at Coachella this year. I still can't put a finger on what it was about them... but they blew me away.

i can put a finger on it....

1. amazing music
2. amazingly perfect sound
3. epic venue
4. amazing visuals
5. living history lesson

there you have it

rage patton
06-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Yup. Sounds about right to me. Thanks craz.

crazzz2007
06-25-2008, 03:14 PM
yer welcome

paganman7
06-25-2008, 03:22 PM
My friend, who had not heard a single Kraftwerk song prior to Coachella, commented after their set on their ability to make exceedingly mundane topics (freeways, the Tour de France, vitamins) rock so hard!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-10-2008, 03:26 PM
OMG!!

I just started listen to the first few Kraftwerk albums and I am fucking shocked how different they are from the post Autobahn period. Some of it is really really pretty. Organic instruments and synths...amazing...

Memorial_07
09-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Exactly which Kraftwerk album were you listening to?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-11-2008, 05:58 AM
Kraftwerk 1 & 2 and Ralf & Florian.

Geno_g
09-11-2008, 07:03 AM
Exactly which Kraftwerk album were you listening to?

Kraftwerk - Man Machine Live double disk

Memorial_07
09-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Kraftwerk 1 & 2 and Ralf & Florian.

Those two are pretty good but Autobahn is still their crowning acheivement

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Man-Machine is my all time favorite Kraftwerk Album. Followed closing by Trans-Europe Express.

Memorial_07
09-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Yeah I completely forgot about those two.
classic

CalmerThanYou
09-11-2008, 05:25 PM
kraftwerk sucked.

rage patton
09-11-2008, 06:09 PM
You seriously have to be joking.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Srsly.

Memorial_07
09-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Here Here.

you really have to be kidding

canexplain
09-11-2008, 07:55 PM
i saw them during the autobaun period, and they to me were not prog rock, not hard rock at all, they were different and in most ways, before dj's, single singers going out on their own, just a wierd sort of sound, that was fun to dance to ... but to answer the question, ya, i saw them at coachells in 04 ... x****

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Did they have a wicked stage set up when you saw them Ron?

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 08:01 PM
thats not THAT blasphemous, I can very much see why somebody wouldnt have enjoyed their set this year.

that being said, I thought they were fuckign awesome! the acid was just bubbling up during their hour, it was wild

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Never done drugs and I loved their set.

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 08:03 PM
you think you're better than me?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-11-2008, 08:04 PM
you think you're better than me?

pshh duh! I am!

Whore...

Memorial_07
09-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Never done drugs and I loved their set.

you and me both buddy

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 08:06 PM
now that I have your attention, I was just kinda thinking today, I talk to some of you guys more than I talk to some of my freinds. My very best friend lives in the Keys now and we dont even talk everyday like oh say, me and TCHY

fucking messageboard!

one day I will try to be in the same category of aweome as you marcopolo, until then, you're the slut, not me

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-11-2008, 08:08 PM
clearly your the stalker Salah. On that note I should get to bed. I have to be up at 430a my time.

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 08:09 PM
I ask for your picture ONE time and i'm a stalker.

maybe a little...

thats funny, I have to be up at 445am MY time!

canexplain
09-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Did they have a wicked stage set up when you saw them Ron?

yea, thats why i sort of put them with elp and prog, you would trip for hours, and still be dancing because it wasnt just audio but visual .. x****

canexplain
09-11-2008, 08:45 PM
so you not going to either day this weekend right ? x****

rage patton
09-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Oh man, Kraftwerk after Autobahn would have been amazing...

Memorial_07
09-11-2008, 09:07 PM
kraftwerk at any time is amazing

canexplain
09-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Oh man, Kraftwerk after Autobahn would have been amazing...

there wasnt very many german bands that hit it here in the states, but they did .. what were those two dutch goups ..hummmx****

canexplain
09-11-2008, 09:14 PM
oh yea, golden earring, but the other group had that voddling sp part in it .. geez that would be hard to google ..x****

canexplain
09-11-2008, 09:19 PM
ha ha, i found it ....hocus pocus .... by focus of course .. back to obama ...x***

betao
09-11-2008, 10:34 PM
This where it's at for early Kraftwerk:

Tanzmusik, being performed live in 1973.

this is so beautiful its not even funny.

lCg7hPeUdvE

rage patton
09-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Seeing Kraftwerk with instruments is just plain weird.

Memorial_07
09-12-2008, 06:30 AM
And so is seeing Ralf with long hair

CalmerThanYou
09-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Srsly.

As serious as fucking cancer.

And this dude:
http://www.vorkt.com/album/data/1/normal_Internet-SeriousBusiness.jpg

Fucking awesome thing about music and interwebnetz forums is that i can state my opinion. So smile, you love it.

rage patton
09-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Your electronic music listening liscense has been revoked.

CalmerThanYou
09-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Whatever. I'll just print out a new one.

And furthermore, does it matter if the "grandfathers of electronic" dont do it for me? No, no it doesnt.

Take that.

SFChrissy
09-12-2008, 11:24 AM
kraftwerk totally takes me back to my childhood...

Calmer...even though they don't do it for you...you really need to give up some respect!!!

betao
09-12-2008, 11:35 AM

And furthermore, does it matter if the "grandfathers of electronic" dont do it for me? No, no it doesnt.

Take that.

Then that is what you should have said. You should have simply said you "didn't enjoy them".

Just bluntly saying "kraftwerk sucked" can be taken as a way of doubting their skill. And to say that Kraftwerk isn't skilled, is to...well, I honestly don't know what to compare a statement like that to.

CalmerThanYou
09-12-2008, 11:53 AM
.I'm not saying they arent skilled. They've got skillz.

I still THINK (being my opinion) their set sucked.

BOOM

Memorial_07
09-12-2008, 10:14 PM
In relation to your post betao:
Normally I always say electronic music sucks because it is just the repetitive bass (in my opinion) but Kraftwerk are original and don't sound the same as a bunch of other DJ's

that's why they were so great at Coachella

betao
09-12-2008, 10:28 PM

BOOM

Yeah I understand where you're coming from.

It's just that I personally think "sucked" is kind of a harsh term to say. In my opinion, there is a difference between saying "i didn't like them" and "they sucked". Sucked is just harsh and chances are, passionate fans can take it as an insult to the act.

betao
09-12-2008, 10:29 PM
In relation to your post betao:
Normally I always say electronic music sucks because it is just the repetitive bass (in my opinion) but Kraftwerk are original and don't sound the same as a bunch of other DJ's

that's why they were so great at Coachella

thats a very interesting opinion to have.

I think most electronic music is much more accessible live.

rage patton
09-12-2008, 10:41 PM

Take that.

Where do you think MSTRKRFT got the "KRFT" from in their name? Its not just a coincidence, Im telling you that. I bet if you talked to ANY of the acts playing at HARD Halloween, they would all tell you Kraftwerk are one of their biggest influences. I bet you a decent amount of them haven't seen Kraftwerk live and are extremely jelous you got the opportunity to see them.

Memorial_07
09-12-2008, 11:03 PM
thats a very interesting opinion to have.

I think most electronic music is much more accessible live.

True. I'll give you that.
Live DJ's are better than on CD.
Like in '07 for Benassi. He was great live but on CD it's just too repetitive.

And rage is totally right.
Take it or leave it.
Kraftwerk is arguably the most influence eletronic act of all time

canexplain
09-13-2008, 09:36 AM
True. I'll give you that.
Live DJ's are better than on CD.
Like in '07 for Benassi. He was great live but on CD it's just too repetitive.

And rage is totally right.
Take it or leave it.
Kraftwerk is arguably the most influence eletronic act of all time

then i might not be totally off ... you guys know current music more then i do but i said and thought kraftwerk was different from most any group i saw when they were doing the autobaun tour wayyyyyyyyyyyy back then lol ... x****

rage patton
09-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Kraftwerk were definately one of the most inovative, unique and creative bands (if you can call them that) in their time. In fact, I would even argue that few bands have yet to measure up the creativity of Kraftwerk. Both back in the day and today. How many artists have been able to reinvent themselves as many times as Kraftwerk have?

Memorial_07
09-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Kraftwerk also made one of the most revolutionary pieces of equipment in music:
Vocoder.

frozen pilgrim
09-13-2008, 11:27 AM
kraftwerk also turned 25,000 people into robots at once. it's a fact- many of us were there!

Memorial_07
09-13-2008, 12:22 PM
In my dictionary:
Robots is not a good thing.

But I won't deny that they had everyone mesmerised

rage patton
09-13-2008, 03:08 PM
______MACHINE
_____MACHINE
____MACHINE
___MACHINE
__MACHINE
_MACHINE
MACHINE

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Kraftwerk are the Beatles. In that they invented entire genres of music and changed people's thinking on how to make music. End Thread.

PC-2 Violence
09-14-2008, 01:28 PM

BOOM

It's hard to focus on performances when you are busy tearing out pictures of Sean Penn in a porta-potty to put in your legionaries hat.

I KID.

Geno_g
09-15-2008, 01:07 AM
kraftwerk also turned 25,000 people into robots at once. it's a fact- many of us were there!

______MACHINE
_____MACHINE
____MACHINE
___MACHINE
__MACHINE
_MACHINE
MACHINE

BUMP!, Kraftwerk was the shit, they were great, then it was portishead, and prince what a night, wish I was their for 04 in the Sahara...

CalmerThanYou
09-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Where do you think MSTRKRFT got the "KRFT" from in their name? Its not just a coincidence, Im telling you that. I bet if you talked to ANY of the acts playing at HARD Halloween, they would all tell you Kraftwerk are one of their biggest influences. I bet you a decent amount of them haven't seen Kraftwerk live and are extremely jelous you got the opportunity to see them.

Once again...i dont think they are horrible, i just didnt like their set.

Sheesh!

CalmerThanYou
09-15-2008, 10:13 AM
It's hard to focus on performances when you are busy tearing out pictures of Sean Penn in a porta-potty to put in your legionaries hat.

I KID.

HAHAH! You win.

PC-2 Violence
09-15-2008, 06:10 PM
HAHAH! You win.

Please quote for us how much of the set you watched. Im not looking to ridicule, but in the last three years of Coachella, Kraftwerk 08' has been the only full set from beginning to end that I have watched. I figure if you missed the first 25 mins, came in for 10 mins and got bored, and missed the last 25 mins, then you didn't get to see the best parts. I loved the set, but if I had walked in on "Autobahn" or "Trans Euro Express" and only seen that, then I would have said it sucked too.

RedThom
09-15-2008, 07:23 PM
maybe its just the idea of the tent atmosphere, but I did like kraftwerk in sahara just a whee bit more.

Those were some bitchin projections they had on the outside of the sahara as well.

Memorial_07
09-15-2008, 07:41 PM
However, they seem like they perform better on bigger stages.
That's why I loved them so much this year

CalmerThanYou
09-15-2008, 07:53 PM
TBH, i saw about 20-25 mins...i have no idea what they were playing, but it was so lackluster that i think we went to the do-lab or somewhere else...

PC-2 Violence
09-15-2008, 09:44 PM
TBH, i saw about 20-25 mins...i have no idea what they were playing, but it was so lackluster that i think we went to the do-lab or somewhere else...

Have you listened to any of the recordings of the set since then?

CalmerThanYou
09-15-2008, 09:53 PM
A couple...just wasnt doing it for me though...

kroqken
11-21-2008, 12:10 PM
I missed them in 2004, but they were great in 2008. Do people who saw both performances at Coachella prefer their 2004 or 2008 performance? I know in 2004, they were in the dance tent, while they made it to the main stage in 2008.

TOOLRAGE
11-21-2008, 12:45 PM
I went to both. It's hard to say which one was better for me. The set list from this year was better imo. But, the sound from 04 in the sahara tent was way better. Autobahn for instance, it actually sounded like the cars were going over the heads of everyone. I think the tent helped keep the sound in and all the other tent's audio out.

Sonicifyouwantit
11-22-2008, 12:12 PM
I remember leaving radiohead, busting my sandal on the way to kraftwerk and looking back at the mainstage as FOREVER scrolled across the screen after radio's set.

waj805
11-22-2008, 09:04 PM
laid on the grass outside the tent, strung out from the day & just absorbed...they were magical...never thought i'd get the chance to see them (missed the '08, though)...

chairmenmeow47
11-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Kraftwerk also made one of the most revolutionary pieces of equipment in music:
Vocoder.

they weren't the first though.

and i loved the 2004 set. my only complaint was how crowded the tent was. while i didn't see their 2008 set, kraftwerk seems like it belongs in a tent to me. i like the visuals a lot more in the tent.

SFChrissy
11-24-2008, 10:02 AM
I was at 04, I was in the perfect position in the tent for the ultimate sound and visual stimulation!!! The performance was such a life long dream come true that I wanted to call every person I knew who was into kraftwerk including my cousins who I used to listen to that stuff with when we were little...nevertheless how could you waste such a performance by being on the phone...so i said fuck it and indulged in selfish sweet gratification with the hugest smile on my face the rest of the evening!!!

slurpee
11-26-2008, 08:36 AM
<---------- saw Kraftwerk in 04.

Xenocide
01-28-2009, 10:50 AM
nope, just in '08, but they were FANTASTIC!