PDA

View Full Version : Les Savy Fav is pretty rad.

GauchoGuy17
01-22-2008, 01:19 PM
While I was out today, I picked up their album "Inches" after seeing them recommended heartily in another thread.

Man, that's some good stuff. They are on my list of "must-see" acts for sure after that, provided that they aren't put up against Roger Waters or someone like that.

I can't think of how to describe them to people who haven't heard them except that EDIT: I can't describe them. Find some youtube videos.

Anyway, for anyone going Sunday, this is definitely a band to see.

Tylerdurden31
01-22-2008, 01:20 PM
I can't think of how to describe them to people who haven't heard them except that they sound a bit like a much heavier and more complex version of The Arcade Fire mixed with some Radiohead and Modest Mouse. But that's probably a poor description.

I'm glad you like them, but that's the shittiest and most incorrect description of Les Savy Fav I've ever heard.

NoGwenPlease
01-22-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm glad you like them, but that's the shittiest and most incorrect description of Les Savy Fav I've ever heard.
that's like saying madonna is a much heavier MIA with a more complex version of gwen stefani with some rita rudner and touch of count basie

GauchoGuy17
01-22-2008, 01:26 PM

It probably is. But the lead singer's vocals on Inches sound a lot like the singer from The Arcade Fire.

paulb
01-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Les Savy Fav sound pretty good, ill def check out their set.... im pretty nervous about a Justice, Gogol, Roger Waters conflict...that would suck!

Tylerdurden31
01-22-2008, 01:32 PM
It probably is. But the lead singer's vocals on Inches sound a lot like the singer from The Arcade Fire.

please explain this insightful comment

GauchoGuy17
01-22-2008, 01:36 PM

Their voices sound similar?

Anyway, that wasn't the point. Sorry if I offended you with my poor ability to compare bands. It's come up to bite me in the past. I edited my original post anyway.

Maybe you could give a better description of Les Savy Fav, since you're apparently a fan.

Tylerdurden31
01-22-2008, 01:41 PM
they're kind of punk, sometimes a little bit dancey, kind of dark sounding, but sometimes dirty lyrically (ie: "meet me where the sweat descends"). Vocals range from somewhat in key to raw yelling. Live, the singer, Tim Harrington is fucking nuts. He likes to strip to his speedos and rub his crotch on people. He's pretty fucking gross.

http://www.afterbirthofthecool.com/lessavyfav_boudist.jpg

Lorelei
01-22-2008, 01:50 PM
They're really awesome. Tim Harrington interacts a lot with the audience, they have that weird mix of art punk with new wavey bass, it's really dance-material as well as pure punk energy.

nationocean
01-22-2008, 01:57 PM
i think they sound like jack johnson but a little heavier with more kick like portishead...

nationocean
01-22-2008, 01:58 PM
but seriously. can you imagine tim in his underwear running around in the heat screaming... good times ;)

GauchoGuy17
01-22-2008, 02:01 PM
i think they sound like jack johnson but a little heavier with more kick like portishead...

You can stop mocking me now.

I wasn't comparing their overall music to The Arcade Fire. Only the vocals. And I've only heard Inches, not their second album, so maybe it was a piss-poor comparison. Whatever.

Anyway, I'll be seeing them for sure.

Lorelei
01-22-2008, 02:01 PM
but seriously. can you imagine tim in his underwear running around in the heat screaming... good times ;)Haha yeah, that's gonna kick serious ass :D

Tylerdurden31
01-22-2008, 02:05 PM
You can stop mocking me now.

I wasn't comparing their overall music to The Arcade Fire. Only the vocals. And I've only heard Inches, not their second album, so maybe it was a piss-poor comparison. Whatever.

Anyway, I'll be seeing them for sure.

i'm just being informative here...they have more than just Inches and Let's Be Friends

microserfs21
01-22-2008, 03:20 PM
i'm just being informative here...they have more than just Inches and Let's Be Friends

what is the must have album from them? I have a couple songs from Let's be Friends and really like them.

Tylerdurden31
01-22-2008, 03:22 PM
what is the must have album from them? I have a couple songs from Let's be Friends and really like them.

honestly...all i have is Inches and Let's Stay Friends...soooooo i can't really say for sure

Robototron
01-22-2008, 03:52 PM
but seriously. can you imagine tim in his underwear running around in the heat screaming... good times ;)

Yeah, because I saw him do it in 06 at McCarren Park Pool. Love this band, they're so fucking awesome live. Everybody make sure you see them.

gmoneyak
02-06-2008, 01:11 AM
These crazy fuckers killed me the other night, funny shit:

WfJR3mIQ_mo

Coates
02-06-2008, 01:23 AM

was it not painfully obvious what he was saying? their voices sound similiar.

why do so many people on here feel the need to rip people all the time when they're not that fucking smart themselves?

i'll be watching these guys, they're pretty fucking sweet.

Lorelei
02-06-2008, 01:53 AM
I love the way Tim picks up all his stuff before the end of the song :D

Tylerdurden31
02-06-2008, 05:40 AM
i don't think i've ever seen him wearing that much clothing

MassiveChemicalPunk
02-06-2008, 05:50 AM
Great Video.
I'm really looking forward to their show. Their album is great. :)

T-Rye
02-06-2008, 07:12 AM
They're one of the reasons I bought my ticket. Couldn't make their show in Vancouver when they came through.

Somewhat Damaged
02-06-2008, 09:45 AM
"Let's Stay Friends" is a really good album. I'm hoping they don't conflict with someone I've been interested in longer.

CurableOkie
02-06-2008, 10:30 AM

I think "Inches" is the absolute must-have and starting point for LSF, just because it covers so much of their career.

But really, I also want to say that "Let's Stay Friends" is a must-have since it is just absolutely amazing. Plus, they'll primarily be playing songs live from Let's Stay Friends, so it'd do you best to listen to this album the most (which isn't hard).

Also! You must get the Rome Written Upside Down EP. The title track is absolutely amazing and they played it in their encore when I saw them last month, and it is a KILLERRRRR track.

jigglypuflvr@mac.com
02-06-2008, 11:08 AM
les savvy fav is like if tokyo police club were 10 years older, more bitter, and more naked.

(in a good way)

gmoneyak
02-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Everytime I watch the beginning of that vid, all I can think of is "No Whammies!!"

http://www.whotokill.org/Marks/whammy.gif

Memorial_07
02-06-2008, 03:45 PM
they're kind of punk, sometimes a little bit dancey, kind of dark sounding, but sometimes dirty lyrically (ie: "meet me where the sweat descends"). Vocals range from somewhat in key to raw yelling. Live, the singer, Tim Harrington is fucking nuts. He likes to strip to his speedos and rub his crotch on people. He's pretty fucking gross.

Now I am defintley going to see them just becausee they seem pretty weird onstage.
Is this a valid description of their sound you gave?

Courtney
02-06-2008, 03:49 PM
It just occurred to me that when people type LSF, they could be referring to either Les Savy Fav or Let's Stay Friends, depending on the context.

/ dumb moment

Robototron
02-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Now I am defintley going to see them just becausee they seem pretty weird onstage.
Is this a valid description of their sound you gave?

Imagine Gang of Four or Fugazi if they were inspired a little more by 90s Indie Rock. Also, the singing sort of goes beyond raw yelling and just becomes unintelligible yelps at some points. But the band is always tight, and Harrington's singing is forgivable because he spends most of the show going absolutely nuts. They do have some great lyrics, though, and Harrington always sounds good on their albums.

Memorial_07
02-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Imagine Gang of Four or Fugazi if they were inspired a little more by 90s Indie Rock. Also, the singing sort of goes beyond raw yelling and just becomes unintelligible yelps at some points. But the band is always tight, and Harrington's singing is forgivable because he spends most of the show going absolutely nuts. They do have some great lyrics, though, and Harrington always sounds good on their albums.

Wow. I am now looking really forward to it.

bmack86
02-06-2008, 05:05 PM
I would say the essential album is either Inches, because it's a good overview, or The Cat and The Cobra, because it's their best album overall. Let's Stay Friends is fantastic, however, so that's a good one to hear as well. Their live show is absolute insanity in the best possible way. They sounds really good, and Tim Harrington goes nuts in the crowd. They'll be one of the highlights of the weekend.

gmoneyak
02-06-2008, 11:23 PM

Yeah, I'm liking this description.

michaelmontanez
02-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Les Savy Fav are one of the main reasons I am excited this year, I wanted them to be there last year.

BeHereNOW
02-07-2008, 05:11 PM
These crazy fuckers killed me the other night, funny shit:

WfJR3mIQ_mo

haha great!
this video reminds me of the begginig of the movie "school of rock" when jack black is kicked out

looking fwd to see them

Your Favorite Band Sucks
02-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I saw LSF @ the Knitting Factory in LA not knowing a thing about them. Over the course of the show Tim got shitfaced on Jim Beam, stripped down to his bananahammock, and was mumbling how it was too bright in the theatre before he started unscrewing all of the lightbulbs surrounding the stage. Apart from the kick ass show, that was about all the convincing I needed. To pull something like that at Coachella, he's going to have to climb the scaffolding a la Nic Offer last year.