PDA

View Full Version : Love and Rockets

noisemachine
01-22-2008, 09:22 AM
I have to admit I have not heard of them, but them being second on the bill for Sunday I am very intrigued. Can anybody recommend some of their music to me? Which albums of theirs are the best?

Thanks!

shoegazer76
01-22-2008, 09:28 AM
I was very pleased to see them on the lineup. I love the monotone style of singing. It really doesnt matter what you listen to of their discography its all pretty much sounds the same. You kinda gotta be in the right mood for them I find.

M Sparks
01-22-2008, 10:02 AM
"Express" or "Earth Sun Moon"

They've got a decent, cheap greatest hits album out there, but it's missing a few key tracks. (Mainly "All In My Mind" from "Express")

Trudeau
01-22-2008, 10:17 AM
I had not heard of this group before seeing the poster, but I torrented some of their material and I really like it.

amyzzz
01-22-2008, 10:20 AM
ooo, I should check out that greatest hits. I've already got Express, but that's it. They're fun.

CaliMag
01-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Seventh Dream of a Teeneage Heaven (1st Album) is considered there best among their original fan base. "Haunted/When the Minutes Drag" is the standout of that album.

For those of you that don't know they are the band that was formed shortly after Bauhaus broke up. A common formation: its the Original band minus the lead singer who was fired/left due to "artistic differences" (which is rock-speak for being a complete dickhead and/or heavily into drugs to the point where you stop showing up for your recording sessions).
All three members of L&R (orignally from England) live here in Southern California (Daniel Ash in Ojai and the Haskins brothers live in LA).

n3glect
01-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Be sure to hunt down their 1999 album "Lift". It's a left-field take on mid-nineties electronica that seemed dated at release, but feels timeless now.

"My Drug" is worth the price of admission alone.

Also there's a little heard ambient album that they did in 94 called Hot Trip to Heaven that was a pretty ambitious follow up to a Billboard #2 record.

That one sounds REALLY dated now.. but still has its charm.

Stay away from the self-titled album. Not quite sure what happened there, but it wasn't good.

M Sparks
01-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Stay away from the self-titled album. Not quite sure what happened there, but it wasn't good.

I wouldn't say "Stay away", but it's certainly a weak spot. I like Motorcycle & Jungle Law alright, and the two "hits" are decent.

Derekx
01-22-2008, 10:51 AM
This is like a dream come true for me to see Love and Rockets. I'm a big fan of Bauhaus, but I heard Love and Rockets first.

M Sparks
01-22-2008, 10:52 AM
For those of you that don't know they are the band that was formed shortly after Bauhaus broke up.

Tones On Tail was inbetween. Actually, ToT was Daniel Ash's side project when Bauhaus was still together, and then Kevin Haskins joined after Bauhaus broke up.. Then ToT broke up, and Daniel and Kevin hooked back up with David J to form L+R.

But anyone who doesn't know who Love + Rockets are doesn't know Tones On Tail either, so your explanation is probably easier. :D

g0k1ngsg0
01-22-2008, 11:49 AM
please don't comflict with Roger Waters

PLEASE?!

but I see L&R closing out the outdoor theater and it makes me sad cuz i'm not missing DSOTM and I really wanted to check out Love and Rockets since I've always been a fan of daniel ash and bauhaus/tones on tail.

Maybe Love and Rockets will go on right before RW? That would make me happy.

rokky
02-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Love and rockets are the reason I am mostly going. It was a reunion long overdue. I hope they play a decent length set.

PassiveTheory
02-27-2008, 07:54 PM
I dont think you folks have anything to worry about... L&R will go on the main stage (opposite MMJ on the outdoor theatre), right before RW. Chillax.

xbnmx
02-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Source?

Who would then close the main stage after roger and what two acts would follow MMj on the outdoor theater?

psychic friend
02-27-2008, 08:07 PM
http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14627

morphous12
02-27-2008, 08:31 PM
please don't comflict with Roger Waters

PLEASE?!

but I see L&R closing out the outdoor theater and it makes me sad cuz i'm not missing DSOTM and I really wanted to check out Love and Rockets since I've always been a fan of daniel ash and bauhaus/tones on tail.

Maybe Love and Rockets will go on right before RW? That would make me happy.

Yeah, I hope they do not conflict.

You know, Love & Rockets do a cover of Lucifer Sam.
And Roger Waters is playing the same night.
Hmmmmm.....

rokky
04-10-2008, 01:47 PM
I saw Roger waters last year and Love and rockets 10 years ago. If there is a time conflict, no question for me it's Love and rockets.

n3glect
04-10-2008, 08:34 PM
According to an interview Daniel Ash did recently.. they will be on the main stage before Roger Waters.

nx37602
05-05-2008, 12:18 PM
They rocked... since you missed them, here's a review link from the news

http://www.instantriverside.com/riverside-news/inland-empire-news/stagecoach-day-1/2008/05/03/

Skookumchuk
05-06-2008, 11:29 PM
^^ Did anyone read that review from Stagecoach?

Glen Campbell for Coachella 2009!!!

jazzz
05-06-2008, 11:36 PM
^^ Did anyone read that review from Stagecoach?

Glen Campbell for Coachella 2009!!!

I'm afraid you got the wrong Glen for 2009.... We need Glenn Campling with Daniel Ash for 2009!

Skookumchuk
05-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Fair enough - I'd be down with that

ingrid30
05-07-2008, 02:39 PM
L&R were the main reason I went to Coachella. Last time I saw them was in 1988 the "Sorted Tour"!!!

Geno_g
05-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Love and Rockets was great, that metal guitar with on board effects was sick, they rocked, Ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, say hey.

stuporfly
05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
I saw Love & Rockets way back in the day, with the Mighty Lemon Drops opening the show. Those first few albums still mean a lot to me, but they lost me as the years rolled on.

I quite wrongly assumed they'd be focusing their set on latter-era Love & Rockets material, and opted to steer clear of them on Sunday night. After seeing the song list, I realize what a fool I was.

gaypalmsprings
05-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Yk_sLziT0TI