PDA

View Full Version : American mosh pits

krunchy
01-29-2007, 02:13 AM
What are American mosh pits like? Do people form circles and push people randomly? Do they skew towards violence?

Do they (god forbid) simply jump up and down to the beat? Good sense of timing?
Most Australian mosh pits I've found to be a bunch of people jumping up and down to the beat of the music. It's a form of dancing afterall, and its very annoying when some idiot thinks that moshing goes from one side to another, or just sits there pushing the person in front of them.
European mosh pits are more like this, with a idiots everywhere pushing people around the place and lots of circles. Circles are shit.

Any insights? RATM should in theory be the best mosh pit ever known to man!

vinylmartyr
01-29-2007, 02:19 AM
Do people form circles and push people randomly? Do they skew towards violence?

It can get violent. It will probably so cramped at Coiachella people will just end up get stepped on. I never go anywhere near those things and if anyone crowdsurfs near me I pull them straight to the ground. I been kicked in the head to many times to tolerate it anymore.

SubBass49
01-29-2007, 04:55 AM
True that. I used to go all-out in the pits...but somewhere along the way people lost all sense in pits. Took a blindside elbow to the eye socket at an Infectious Grooves show...last time I wanted to be in a pit. Split the skin all around my eye socket and gave me a shiner for close to a month.

Also...just because the act on stage isn't aggro doesnt mean stuff will be calm in the crowd. Scariest moment for me at Coachella was when Bjork played a few years back and the crowd surged forward HARD. I'm about 6'1" 200lbs and was picked up off my feet clean and carried several feet forward. If someone had tripped you'd have been reading about dead people in the next days paper.

Bottom line...be careful.

-- J

lowfront
01-29-2007, 05:45 AM
Its kind of hard to say what American mosh pits are like when talking about rage against the machine because rage pits are nothing like normal pits.

Just all out insanity.

And they will be gigantic.

shoveitupmytoolbox
01-29-2007, 08:38 AM
uk mosh pits > american mosh pits > icelandic mosh pits > romanian mosh pits

jimmyrad
01-29-2007, 09:37 AM
I dont care what the pits are like, as long as every one respects the people around them and everyone looks out for each other. By all means knock my ass down if you want, but at least have the decency to help me back up :D

amyzzz
01-29-2007, 10:06 AM
True that. I used to go all-out in the pits...but somewhere along the way people lost all sense in pits. Took a blindside elbow to the eye socket at an Infectious Grooves show...last time I wanted to be in a pit. Split the skin all around my eye socket and gave me a shiner for close to a month.

Also...just because the act on stage isn't aggro doesnt mean stuff will be calm in the crowd. Scariest moment for me at Coachella was when Bjork played a few years back and the crowd surged forward HARD. I'm about 6'1" 200lbs and was picked up off my feet clean and carried several feet forward. If someone had tripped you'd have been reading about dead people in the next days paper.

Bottom line...be careful.

-- J

I'll be in the back during Bjork. Way back. I'll watch the screens. :)

summerkid
01-29-2007, 10:15 AM
I'll be in the front, like the front row holding on to the rail. If i'm getting squished up against the rail where i'm starting to get hurt I'll tell a security guard to get me out.

elChurro
01-29-2007, 10:21 AM
mosh pits = sexual frustrations... get laid people and learn to dance.

Rezzo
01-29-2007, 10:23 AM
mosh pits are gay

kaeso
01-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Too bad pits can be enjoyable if your in the right mood. Sometimes its fun to get in a pit and just get brutalized. As for their specific nature, their are simply too many contributing factors to properly characterize them nationalistically. I would contend that what band is playing, what the setting is, and ultimately the mentality of those present are the deciding factors

summerkid
01-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Yeah....I dont get moshing I'm not a very angry/violent person though so maybe that's why.

hawkingvsreeve
01-29-2007, 12:46 PM
cOAnyTZBykE

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

BRAVEHEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lindseyb
01-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Sometimes its fun to get in a pit and just get brutalized.

Could you please elaborate on this? I've always found mosh pitting to be extremely bizarre behavior.

One of the strangest thing I've ever seen in my life was a mosh pit at a death metal show. My boyfriend's teenage cousin played guitar in a death metal rock band...the type where they scream rather than sing...and we went to see them play. It was so funny because we were the oldest people there (in our 20s); it was all high school kids. We stuck out like sore thumbs amongst all the kids in their black/goth attire. So, at certain points in a song, everyone would do this dance, like spastically kicking and punching the air, everyone lined up in neat rows but staying in one place, facing the band. Then, all at once everyone would start jogging around in a big circle. They would do this for a while, then all of a sudden they would stop and start the kicking in place again. Everyone knew at exactly which point in the song to do the different dance moves. It was so weird and ritualistic.

hawkingvsreeve
01-29-2007, 01:12 PM
America's youth.

pJ_mdej9vko

momof5
01-29-2007, 01:15 PM
I have been to shows where older guys who were much too large to mosh thought it was fun to randomly push and barrel into others. If you are over 50 lbs you probably should not throw your body at an unsuspecting person! The only scary time for me at Coachella was when the Morrisey fans surged forward and we kind of lifted off the ground.

bballarl
01-29-2007, 01:20 PM
I don't understand how you can enjoy listening to the music when you're throwing yourself around.

JustSteve
01-29-2007, 01:39 PM
send all those kids to war and let them get their aggression out that way, i don't want kids like that around me who are into beating people up for fun...at least get some use out of 'em.

JohnJohnIII
01-29-2007, 01:48 PM
ah ha hah aha

ediger
01-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Big mosh pits are unpredictable at best.

C DUB YA
01-29-2007, 01:58 PM

hahahaha

krunchy
01-29-2007, 03:15 PM
I dont care what the pits are like, as long as every one respects the people around them and everyone looks out for each other. By all means knock my ass down if you want, but at least have the decency to help me back up :D

Exactly what I'm thinking. Just recently having gone to big day out, I am skeptical of people. That festival was chock full of wankers! Hopefully people are happy to help, always on the lookout for a brother in distress and actually moshing with some kind of timing and tempo that actually sort of goes with the music!
Also, the dude referencing to the flailing arms and legs - hardcore dancing - I think that is. Thank god we don't have such artards in this country. We got plenty of wankers, but the only flailing limbs I have seen are in Europe and that random dickhead nearly punched out about 50 people. Would have liked to see him trampled, as for any other of these hardcore dancing people in the future.

krunchy
01-29-2007, 03:16 PM
send all those kids to war and let them get their aggression out that way, i don't want kids like that around me who are into beating people up for fun...at least get some use out of 'em.

Put on a top class music festival in that desert and you'd have too many people signing up! I'd enlist, wait for the festival and then shoot my toe off.

suprefan
01-29-2007, 03:50 PM
cOAnyTZBykE

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

BRAVEHEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Wall of DEATH!!! Yeah..... We need some of kids HxC dancing those are the funny ones..

york707
01-29-2007, 03:55 PM
That dude just wandering around got destroyed. I can't imgine he came out of that OK

menikmati
01-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Nu3V5lb95Jc

Trick Loves The Kids
01-29-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm genuinely scared that someone's going to die or at the very least get seriously injured at Rage this year. The small section at the front of the dance tent was the best idea they ever had... if that hadn't been there I'm sure I would have been crushed at Daft Punk.

Pemakarpo
01-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Dave Grohl said it best when I saw him this year up at Gibson and kids were moshing in the pit:

"Slamdancing is for idiots. Girls do not dig it. Instead of running into them why don't you sing along with me to the girl next to you."

Or some shit like that. It seemed really poetic and on point at the time. Anyway, whoever brought up the moshing=sexual frustration thing--piggyback.

kaeso
01-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Sometimes its fun to get in a pit and just get brutalized.

Could you please elaborate on this? I've always found mosh pitting to be extremely bizarre behavior.

I say this sort of with tongue in cheek. However, I don't see how it is bizarre. At least when i am in a pit i am actually trying coordinating my movements to the music. Its really just a physical expression that pertains to certain musics. I suppose some people are just letting out aggression but it isn't necessarily so.

farmer dan
01-29-2007, 04:29 PM
There's a difference between *moshing* and slinging your fists sparatically with intentions of busting someone in the face. I'll be at the front of the stage for every show. Don't doubt me. I'll dance and jump around if I'm fucked up enough, but no moshing. you wanna mosh? fine. If anyone punches me in the face, someone will die at the concert(I'll claim it was self-defense). even if its unintentional, you shouldn't be acting like a jackass in a large tight crowd of people trying to enjoy the music without injuries

GirlFromMars
01-29-2007, 05:27 PM
mosh pits are crazy but at coachella there isn't really any mosh pits. Just a lot of pushing.

theaenimatool
01-29-2007, 05:40 PM
mosh pits are crazy but at coachella there isn't really any mosh pits. Just a lot of pushing.

last year at the beginning of tool there was a crazy amount of pushing for about a song and a half, and then it calmed down and there were some pits up near the stage. i was in the pit and it wasnt really crazy. just a bunch of people happy to see tool playing again. rage might be different, concidering that this could be their only show ever again. ill be in front, and well just have to see. i predict a crazy amount of pushing for at least 3 or 4 songs. then just a bunch of pits.

GirlFromMars
01-29-2007, 05:52 PM
last year at the beginning of tool there was a crazy amount of pushing for about a song and a half, and then it calmed down and there were some pits up near the stage. i was in the pit and it wasnt really crazy. just a bunch of people happy to see tool playing again. rage might be different, concidering that this could be their only show ever again. ill be in front, and well just have to see. i predict a crazy amount of pushing for at least 3 or 4 songs. then just a bunch of pits.

Yeah because I remember when Weezer played in '05 there was so much pushing of people trying to get to the front. But I bet they never got to the front.

Adam2uBer
01-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Mosh pits are stupid. Whoever enjoys them..deserves to be hit by a truck. All you are doing is harming others.

GirlFromMars
01-29-2007, 06:11 PM
but yeah anyway most mosh pits are annoying. and not fun.

grungysabbathemohater
01-29-2007, 10:26 PM
You are a fucking idiot. I have a girlfriend, get laid, and mosh. It is a style of dancing, whether you like it or not. Not everyone likes electronica and dance music.

Method_man77
01-29-2007, 10:31 PM
rage mosh pits are nothing like other mosh pits though if anyone was wondering...

grungysabbathemohater
01-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Mosh pits are stupid. Whoever enjoys them..deserves to be hit by a truck. All you are doing is harming others.
You are very wrong. Its just dancing, and not as violent as it usually looks. If someone is acting like a completely aggressive asshole in the pit, the herd usually regulates them.
Running around in circles in the mosh pit is more of a tribal thing then people realize. You run into people, but you're not REALLY trying to hurt them. But then again....there is always that one asshole.

grungysabbathemohater
01-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Yeah....I dont get moshing I'm not a very angry/violent person though so maybe that's why.
Its not always about being angry or violent. It usually has an angry vibe for someone like Slayer or Pantera. But for bands like Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, or Primus, the mosh pit is FUN AS HELL! Its more of a rowdy, hyper vibe. Kinda like being a kid again who's had way too much Mtn. Dew! And then for someone like Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden, or even Black Sabbath, the pit took on a cool tribal vibe.
I have almost been crushed to death at a Lenny Kravitz concert! Its not always the mosh pit shows that are dangerous.

mojomixup
01-29-2007, 11:05 PM

I'm with you brother, we should have free reign to unleash what we want, so long as we help each other out and don't go head-hunting.

AEversW
01-29-2007, 11:07 PM
the craziest mosh pit i've been in was when i saw cafe tacuba in LA...just a bunch of drunk sweaty mexicans going ape shit! it reminded of being at a Dodger game

mojomixup
01-29-2007, 11:08 PM
You are very wrong. Its just dancing, and not as violent as it usually looks. If someone is acting like a completely aggressive asshole in the pit, the herd usually regulates them.
Running around in circles in the mosh pit is more of a tribal thing then people realize. You run into people, but you're not REALLY trying to hurt them. But then again....there is always that one asshole.
and I will hunt him down. Beware asshole

AEversW
01-29-2007, 11:10 PM
the craziest mosh pit i've been in was when i saw cafe tacuba in LA...just a bunch of drunk sweaty Mexicans going ape shit! it reminded of being at a Dodger game

vinylmartyr
01-29-2007, 11:18 PM
what are you trying to say?

AEversW
01-29-2007, 11:18 PM
it was fucking awesome!

krunchy
01-30-2007, 12:46 AM
In my mind mosh pits are people jumping up and down to the beat. That is pretty much all. Crowdsurfing sucks and is reserved for blink-182 concerts where the average concertgoer is about 45kg.
I want to be able to jump like young zach on the stage, with the beat, with others. Its crazy when you get a properly timed mosh pit going and the crowd is one with it. Its joyous.

Hardcore dancers will be silenced early. So glad I don't have to deal with that shit here. Don't you fuck up my international music experience now...

vinylmartyr
01-30-2007, 12:54 AM
Dodger games are awesome. I wish it was Baseball season right now.

Quentin
01-30-2007, 02:53 AM
I expect the pushing...a lot of really good bands are going to be there. I went to a Perfect Circle concert with Mars Volta opening and I just got pushed to the front. When APC started...there was this surge, I lost a shoe...and when I found it after the concert, it had been trampeled on.

I personally dont like or get moshing. It looks incredibly painful, and I'm small...and I wear glasses.

Hexaflex
01-30-2007, 03:13 AM
Here's my take:

Jumping in time is a nice way to let out some of that excitement, and it's awesome if you get the whole crowd jumping up and down in time - you get a big rush of air going beneath you when everyone jumps up, then it all flies back up again when you hit the ground. Cools you down too, which is a bonus :thu

Circle pits are the least painful kind of pit, everyone runs around in circles, it's fun to have all these people you don't know co-operating with you instinctively and running round faster and faster till it collapses and everyone jumps into the middle again.. where it sometimes becomes...

What I call a mosh pit, this is the one you want to avoid if you don't want to ram into other people. Basically, if this isn't your cup of tea, then don't go in it, just hang about until it collapses in on itself. It looks highly violent, but it's not as bad as all that - people do get the accidental (or occasionally intentional from a tosser :mad: ) knee or punch or elbow, but if you don't want to take the risk, don't go in. Some people find this fun. You might not. It's just a matter of opinion. It tends to appeal to the kind of guys who used to play bumper cars when they were infants (in kindergarten for the US types).

Of course, sometimes you get people pushing others into the pit - if you see any of that, then push the pusher in and crack him one by all means. :nono

Then there's the hug pit :D This can go two ways - either the big crush happens and it turns into a mosh pit like in the video below, or the big crush happens and there's not enough room to move, so everyone starts jumping. It all depends on how many people go in for it - and so how much room there's left at the end. The actual crush isn't nearly as bad as it looks, at least the ones I've been in didn't hurt. I get hurt more from people jumping up and down on my toes :dumbo

If you look at the video, you'll see the wandering guy come out perfectly ok, just to illustrate my point. (On the left at the back, just after the big crush. Look for his white t-shirt and cap). He then immediately runs back into the pit, so he can't be too buggered.

Anyways, if you don't want to go in pits, that's cool, just go around or stay back. If you do want to go in pits, just don't be an ass. If someone falls, everyone picks them back up. If someone's hardcore dancing, you punch them to the kidneys and get everyone to crush in on them so they can't move. You can listen to music, have fun in pits, and have everyone be (fairly) unscathed at the end. All it takes is a bit of consideration.

el_harderino
01-30-2007, 08:52 PM
If you can dominate the pit when Terror comes to town you should make out alright with Rage.

el_harderino
01-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Here's my take:

Jumping in time is a nice way to let out some of that excitement, and it's awesome if you get the whole crowd jumping up and down in time - you get a big rush of air going beneath you when everyone jumps up, then it all flies back up again when you hit the ground. Cools you down too, which is a bonus :thu

Circle pits are the least painful kind of pit, everyone runs around in circles, it's fun to have all these people you don't know co-operating with you instinctively and running round faster and faster till it collapses and everyone jumps into the middle again.. where it sometimes becomes...

What I call a mosh pit, this is the one you want to avoid if you don't want to ram into other people. Basically, if this isn't your cup of tea, then don't go in it, just hang about until it collapses in on itself. It looks highly violent, but it's not as bad as all that - people do get the accidental (or occasionally intentional from a tosser :mad: ) knee or punch or elbow, but if you don't want to take the risk, don't go in. Some people find this fun. You might not. It's just a matter of opinion. It tends to appeal to the kind of guys who used to play bumper cars when they were infants (in kindergarten for the US types).

Of course, sometimes you get people pushing others into the pit - if you see any of that, then push the pusher in and crack him one by all means. :nono

Then there's the hug pit :D This can go two ways - either the big crush happens and it turns into a mosh pit like in the video below, or the big crush happens and there's not enough room to move, so everyone starts jumping. It all depends on how many people go in for it - and so how much room there's left at the end. The actual crush isn't nearly as bad as it looks, at least the ones I've been in didn't hurt. I get hurt more from people jumping up and down on my toes :dumbo

If you look at the video, you'll see the wandering guy come out perfectly ok, just to illustrate my point. (On the left at the back, just after the big crush. Look for his white t-shirt and cap). He then immediately runs back into the pit, so he can't be too buggered.

Anyways, if you don't want to go in pits, that's cool, just go around or stay back. If you do want to go in pits, just don't be an ass. If someone falls, everyone picks them back up. If someone's hardcore dancing, you punch them to the kidneys and get everyone to crush in on them so they can't move. You can listen to music, have fun in pits, and have everyone be (fairly) unscathed at the end. All it takes is a bit of consideration.

Hey hey lets not pick on the kids who can dance with style. Either learn how yourself or stay the hell out of the way.

AEversW
01-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Dodger games are awesome. I wish it was Baseball season right now.

me too...i can't wait to go to Chavez Ravine this season. Its the most beautiful place in the world. I can't wait to see Jason Schmidt own the Giants.

napaquetzalli
01-30-2007, 10:01 PM
i can enjoy pits but coachella is just too intense, there's no room! i nearly died seeing the yeah yeah yeahs and those are just yyy fans! imagine. rage. i'm actually fucking terrified thinking of how much that is going to hurt. depeche mode was hard! fucking imagine.

Quentin
01-30-2007, 10:34 PM
me too...i can't wait to go to Chavez Ravine this season. Its the most beautiful place in the world. I can't wait to see Jason Schmidt own the Giants.

Bah to baseball, its' all about football. We need to have more coverage on normal TV...I dont' have cable :(

Hexaflex
01-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Hey hey lets not pick on the kids who can dance with style. Either learn how yourself or stay the hell out of the way.

Haha, sorry mate :) If it's in the middle of a pit, fair enough... but if you're smacking people in the crowd with your crazy flailing, you're going down. :P

jerpar24
01-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Dave Grohl said it best when I saw him this year up at Gibson and kids were moshing in the pit:

"Slamdancing is for idiots. Girls do not dig it. Instead of running into them why don't you sing along with me to the girl next to you."

Or some shit like that. It seemed really poetic and on point at the time. Anyway, whoever brought up the moshing=sexual frustration thing--piggyback.

Ya Dave Grohl is the man. I agree with him. Slamdancing sucks and you ruin the show for everyone else when you do it.

AudioSlave21
01-30-2007, 11:36 PM
I actually went to a Huge Slayer Show with Lamb of God and others in Van and i can honestly say it was one of the funnest times in my life.. im not even Huge on metal but it was kick ass. the Mosh pit was Very Extreme, i am an athletic guy and i Love Loud music so i got in there and Rocked Out Hard.. i got to Crowd surf for the first time witch was a Total Blast. my shirt got Ripped right off.. there was a Huge Old School Circle Pit.. some blood, sweat.. etc. i even Hoisted a Total Punk Midget (who seemed to come out of nowhere) up onto my Shoulders and Started Jumping around with him, it was Epic.. Allthough it was Extremely Violent, it stayed posative and as soon as someone Fell there was 3-4 People picking them up outta there. if there is moshing at Coachella id like it to be like That. Moshers: Keep it Safe and Respect Others. Non-Moshers: It's like a Sport.. if u don't want the potential bumps n' bruises, don't get in there.

DenverSanFranConnection
01-30-2007, 11:54 PM

FUCK THE DODGERS!

just mainaining the friendly rivalry:afu

DenverSanFranConnection
01-31-2007, 12:01 AM
I actually went to a Huge Slayer Show with Lamb of God and others in Van and i can honestly say it was one of the funnest times in my life.. im not even Huge on metal but it was kick ass. the Mosh pit was Very Extreme, i am an athletic guy and i Love Loud music so i got in there and Rocked Out Hard.. i got to Crowd surf for the first time witch was a Total Blast. my shirt got Ripped right off.. there was a Huge Old School Circle Pit.. some blood, sweat.. etc. i even Hoisted a Total Punk Midget (who seemed to come out of nowhere) up onto my Shoulders and Started Jumping around with him, it was Epic.. Allthough it was Extremely Violent, it stayed posative and as soon as someone Fell there was 3-4 People picking them up outta there. if there is moshing at Coachella id like it to be like That. Moshers: Keep it Safe and Respect Others. Non-Moshers: It's like a Sport.. if u don't want the potential bumps n' bruises, don't get in there.

yeah, i used to go to a bunch of slayer shows when i was a fat kid with money, now i am a broke.

those more old school hardcore metal shows were great because people were still watching out for each other. nowadays people just go crazy with no regard for others safety.

I just wanna jam out at this rage show, i dont want to kill anyone, it would be too easy and a waste of a great show. I will mosh but i just want to have a good time with fellow fans.

But I sware if I ever see on of those ass holes who do the punch the air and spin with the high kick dance thing ever again i guarentee i will break their fucking nose or jaw with my first "air punch"

el_harderino
01-31-2007, 05:38 AM
Haha, sorry mate :) If it's in the middle of a pit, fair enough... but if you're smacking people in the crowd with your crazy flailing, you're going down. :P

Ah i gotcha. Fair enough.

el_harderino
01-31-2007, 05:43 AM
yeah, i used to go to a bunch of slayer shows when i was a fat kid with money, now i am a broke.

those more old school hardcore metal shows were great because people were still watching out for each other. nowadays people just go crazy with no regard for others safety.

I just wanna jam out at this rage show, i dont want to kill anyone, it would be too easy and a waste of a great show. I will mosh but i just want to have a good time with fellow fans.

But I sware if I ever see on of those ass holes who do the punch the air and spin with the high kick dance thing ever again i guarentee i will break their fucking nose or jaw with my first "air punch"

First you talk about people respecting other people in the pit and how if someone goes down people should pick them back up but then in the next breath your talking about breaking someone's jaw just because they're moshing the way they know how. It's fucking hypocrites like you that need to get a "high kick" right in the motherfucking head.

ov3rdose
01-31-2007, 06:44 AM
I don't believe the "hardcore dancing" that DenverSanFranConnection was talking about has any place at a festival like Coachella. It isn't like moshing, which is generally pretty good natured, i.e people look out for eachother!. Hardocre dancing is more like, "lets see how many people I can smack round the face and get away with it." Personally, if hardcore dancers ever smack me one in a pit, I'll smack them right back. They are in the minority, and they can ruin the whole vibe of a pit. Mosh pits are for MOSHING, not beating on people!

lowfront
01-31-2007, 06:46 AM
The only thing that might calm this pit down is the fact that everyones gonna be in dieing heat all day long.

I when I saw system of a down at ozzfest in NY this summer it was so hot all day long no one could really go all out in the pit. I know I couldn't.

AEversW
01-31-2007, 12:09 PM
FUCK THE DODGERS!

just mainaining the friendly rivalry:afu

hahaha

tessalasset
01-31-2007, 01:10 PM
If you can dominate the pit when Terror comes to town you should make out alright with Rage.HAHAH oh my god i had managed to completely forget about that band until now.

thaipod
01-31-2007, 01:46 PM
I expect the pushing...a lot of really good bands are going to be there. I went to a Perfect Circle concert with Mars Volta opening and I just got pushed to the front. When APC started...there was this surge, I lost a shoe...and when I found it after the concert, it had been trampeled on.

I personally dont like or get moshing. It looks incredibly painful, and I'm small...and I wear glasses.

On that same tour, when a mosh pit started near the front, after APC were done with whatever song they were playing, Maynard said on the mic in a gloriously condescending-yet-charming manner "Oh look, they're moshing. Isn't that cute?"

AudioSlave21
02-03-2007, 07:28 PM

This Show was Last Year when i was 21. it Sounds Kinda "parental" but i think it Just Takes a Few People Being Good Examples and Picking up the Fallen.. etc. for that to Be seen as the "Cool" thing to Do. if Someone is Out there Head Hunting, you and a Few Others just "Give" Him to Security, chances are they Won't mind Dealing with Him. it just Makes for a Better Experience for Everyone.

amyzzz
02-03-2007, 09:11 PM
This Show was Last Year when i was 21. it Sounds Kinda "parental" but i think it Just Takes a Few People Being Good Examples and Picking up the Fallen.. etc. for that to Be seen as the "Cool" thing to Do. if Someone is Out there Head Hunting, you and a Few Others just "Give" Him to Security, chances are they Won't mind Dealing with Him. it just Makes for a Better Experience for Everyone.
Why do you randomly capitalize words? Just curious.

krunchy
02-04-2007, 02:57 AM
First you talk about people respecting other people in the pit and how if someone goes down people should pick them back up but then in the next breath your talking about breaking someone's jaw just because they're moshing the way they know how. It's fucking hypocrites like you that need to get a "high kick" right in the motherfucking head.

I have a feeling this is one of the hardcore dancing kids we are talking about. Hardcore dancing can go fuck itself right in its emo arse. There is no excuse to be flailing your arms around amongst others that will probably get hit. Anyone who is trying to kick the air is either going to kick air or kick me. If they are kicking air, in the middle of the pit, they are taking up too much room. Kicking me is self explanatory.

I hate it when people even so much as raise their hands, especially when they raise their fists up and down. That is always elbow in the eye territory and it sucks.
Arms down. Legs together. Jump up and down.
Surefire way not to hurt others, and still get into the vibe.

tiffdud41
02-04-2007, 08:35 PM
somebody should star a "how not to be a jackass at coachella" thread. it might be entertaining

el_harderino
02-04-2007, 08:48 PM
I have a feeling this is one of the hardcore dancing kids we are talking about. Hardcore dancing can go fuck itself right in its emo arse. There is no excuse to be flailing your arms around amongst others that will probably get hit. Anyone who is trying to kick the air is either going to kick air or kick me. If they are kicking air, in the middle of the pit, they are taking up too much room. Kicking me is self explanatory.

I hate it when people even so much as raise their hands, especially when they raise their fists up and down. That is always elbow in the eye territory and it sucks.

Check it out bro.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/el_harderino/tampax.jpg

Picked these up for ya.

frozen pilgrim
02-04-2007, 09:29 PM
I have been in/started/had the best and the worst of just about any type of mosh pit on any scale you can think of, and regardless of the style of moshing, be it pogoing, old school slam dancing, a circle pit, a skank pit, or even (jesus I can't believe I'm saying this) hardcore dancing, the deciding factor in whether or not people get hurt is just plain old maturity. from experience, you can launch yourself off of a stage waering nothing but shorts into a circling hurricane of two or three hundred metal spike adorned punks and emerge when you want to, unscathed.
unless people are being vicious and immature.
and sorry harderino, this is where the "but" comes in for you. eighty of my top 100 arsehole at a concert moments have involved hardcore dancing myspace dwelling retarted scene fucks who I usually had to have a hand in removing.
let me make something clear. there is only one appropriate setting for deciding to "giv'er" and start "throwing down" with your "bitches":
while at a concert featuring from first to last, or any of that punk-and-metal-ruining, creatively empty BS that can be categorized as "emo", "screamo", "scene", or any other stupid-ass "core" or similar pigeon-hole.
rage against the machine does not stand for abusing your peers, and coachella is not the place for a type of dancing that's rooted in destructive violence, instead of expression (and if you argue you don't even know your own fucking "culture", scene fucks).

type of moshing appropriate for RATM: move with the beat! stop when they stop if you know the songs, try not to go in one direction too long, and don't throw any kicks or punches. there's a difference between shoving someone (which is fine) and STRIKING someone, which is not.

if you don't like it, fine. do it. go ahead and swing your arms around like some softball picher's warmup on triple speed. and when you hit me, don't expect me to do what you want and get into a fight. back in my punk band days I beat up nazi skinhead fucks who didn't like that me and my bassist were jews about every week. we can handle just about anyone. but you dumb emo dorks aren't worth it. expect me and my friends to hold your dumb ass down while we get security.

el_harderino
02-05-2007, 10:23 AM
I have been in/started/had the best and the worst of just about any type of mosh pit on any scale you can think of, and regardless of the style of moshing, be it pogoing, old school slam dancing, a circle pit, a skank pit, or even (jesus I can't believe I'm saying this) hardcore dancing, the deciding factor in whether or not people get hurt is just plain old maturity. from experience, you can launch yourself off of a stage waering nothing but shorts into a circling hurricane of two or three hundred metal spike adorned punks and emerge when you want to, unscathed.
and sorry harderino, this is where the "but" comes in for you. eighty of my top 100 arsehole at a concert moments have involved hardcore dancing myspace dwelling retarted scene fucks who I usually had to have a hand in removing.
let me make something clear. there is only one appropriate setting for deciding to "giv'er" and start "throwing down" with your "bitches":
while at a concert featuring from first to last, or any of that punk-and-metal-ruining, creatively empty BS that can be categorized as "emo", "screamo", "scene", or any other stupid-ass "core" or similar pigeon-hole.
rage against the machine does not stand for abusing your peers, and coachella is not the place for a type of dancing that's rooted in destructive violence, instead of expression (and if you argue you don't even know your own fucking "culture", scene fucks).

type of moshing appropriate for RATM: move with the beat! stop when they stop if you know the songs, try not to go in one direction too long, and don't throw any kicks or punches. there's a difference between shoving someone (which is fine) and STRIKING someone, which is not.

if you don't like it, fine. do it. go ahead and swing your arms around like some softball picher's warmup on triple speed. and when you hit me, don't expect me to do what you want and get into a fight. back in my punk band days I beat up nazi skinhead fucks who didn't like that me and my bassist were jews about every week. we can handle just about anyone. but you dumb emo dorks aren't worth it. expect me and my friends to hold your dumb ass down while we get security.

Hey man, I wholeheartedly agree with you that a Rage show is not the place for energetic mosh. I just get tired of kids who have absolutely no knowledge of the culture of a scene and when somebody is throwing down (for lack of a better term) and minding their own space, not even hitting anyone, they'll run up and knock the kid cold. When Rage plays their set i won't be doing any moshing at all. I will be near the front, taking in the spectacle and singing along to every word. For the record, i don't listen to from first to last. I am not emo, I think music should be positive. Don't tell me i don't know my own culture, and i am not a "scene fuck". I despise the "scene" and all the cliche attatchments that go along with it. I think music brings us together and mosh style is irrelevant if the intention is good natured. I can understand how a lot of people have a negative opinion about different musical cultures but hey, everything needs to be taken in perspective right?

SFChrissy
02-05-2007, 10:38 AM
It depends really on who's performing...Social Distortion is probably one of the gnarliest pits I've seen at a small venue

And yes people get AGRO but then again there's the fun pit and it feels like a huge massive push from one side to another with a lot of people all in sync...

Speaking of tight crowd...Last year was the tightest I've seen any of the stages!!! We used to have a grip of room for getting a groove on but you know that's what happens when festival reputation explodes!!! Oh and then there's the fuck twat that's "OMG who's pushing...stop pushing" and that person starts to get all pissy 'bout the movement going on while I"m wondering..."you're at a fucking out door concert festival...someone is gonna touch you...get over it!!!"

el_harderino
02-05-2007, 11:28 AM
It depends really on who's performing...Social Distortion is probably one of the gnarliest pits I've seen at a small venue

And yes people get AGRO but then again there's the fun pit and it feels like a huge massive push from one side to another with a lot of people all in sync...

Speaking of tight crowd...Last year was the tightest I've seen any of the stages!!! We used to have a grip of room for getting a groove on but you know that's what happens when festival reputation explodes!!! Oh and then there's the fuck twat that's "OMG who's pushing...stop pushing" and that person starts to get all pissy 'bout the movement going on while I"m wondering..."you're at a fucking out door concert festival...someone is gonna touch you...get over it!!!"

gnarliest pit i've ever seen: Throwdown on the minions of mosh tour with As I Lay Dying and All That Remains. It was wall to wall, from the stage to the door. Everyone was moving. When As I Lay Dying came on some kid yells "FUCK YOU! PUT THROWDOWN BACK ON!" haha priceless..

atom heart
02-05-2007, 06:24 PM
The one time I crowd surfed it was unintentional. I was at X fest and some guy behind me starts yelling in my ear. It takes a few moments for me to realize he's addressing me, saying, "UP?" and I yell "NO!!!" but he already has his hands around my waist and I'm up in the air. I don't weigh much, and I tried to keep my feet from clocking people in the head. The worst part was trying to get back to my friend in the front through all these idiots trying to make walls to prevent more people from coming forward. I felt like punching all of them in the face (not like that would do much, since I can't punch for beans). By the time I got back up front I was so angry my head was pounding and I couldn't hear anything.

I've never been in any scary mosh at Coachella because I mostly avoid the headliners and when I am at the main stage it is usually too hot for people to be too energetic. The tents usually don't get too crowded.

I didn't like the partitions in the Sahara last year. They didn't allow me the joy of leaping/running around the tent during a particularly dancey set. Then there were those slightly harrassed-looking guards at each section...

leo01g
02-05-2007, 06:45 PM
I think as long as you help people when they fall instead of stomping on them it shouldnt be that big of a problem. If you want to be in the front, suffer the consequences of being there. Ive been to concerts where As I lay Dying, or Lamb of God plays and people are pretty conscious and help each other if they fall.

atom heart
02-05-2007, 07:00 PM
whenever I see someone fall in a mosh I'll frantically try to pull them up because it freaks me out to see anyone on the ground.

ollie L
02-05-2007, 07:07 PM
I'll be in the back during Bjork. Way back. I'll watch the screens. :)

man, i originally wanted to get pretty close for BJORK, but do you honestly think it'll get crazy/dangerous . . . i thought she attracted a less crazy/dangerous crowd???

atom heart
02-05-2007, 07:09 PM
The stories I've heard from Coachella vets say that Bjork had the scariest crowd. Scarier than metal acts even.

hawkingvsreeve
02-06-2007, 08:25 AM
The stories I've heard from Coachella vets say that Bjork had the scariest crowd. Scarier than metal acts even.

We were like 5 rows or so back from the front barrier when she played, and people kept pushing and pushing. The crowd kept surging in different directions and it was a pain in the ass to try and stay on your feet while everyone was moving. We got to know the people around us pretty well being 8 to 10 inches away from their faces, but it was a less than ideal way to watch her perform. Probably the craziest crowd I've been in.

TheGunslinger138
02-06-2007, 08:51 AM
We were like 5 rows or so back from the front barrier when she played, and people kept pushing and pushing. The crowd kept surging in different directions and it was a pain in the ass to try and stay on your feet while everyone was moving. We got to know the people around us pretty well being 8 to 10 inches away from their faces, but it was a less than ideal way to watch her perform. Probably the craziest crowd I've been in.

I've definitely been in that kind of a crowd before. I saw Agnostic Front in Richmond, VA (notorious for its XHXCX scene - The asshole straight edge kids who randomly punch people who are drinking a beer, not the good natured, unity hardcore kids) in 1998 (pre-Epitaph released crapfest albums) and was at the front, with the stage in my ribs. The entire club crowd was doing that exact motion. You have no control over where you are moved to, which is extremely scary because that means that probably no one else does either. If someone falls, its not going to be pretty. I finally had enough and I climbed onto the stage to kneel and watch the band. I turned to look back at the room and it was like nothing I had seen before, or have seen since. The only way I can describe it is that it was a literal wave of people on top of people, and they kept crashing forward towards the stage, as if it were the shore. There were the people standing at ground level, and then people on their backs, heads, and shoulders. I guess they were crowd surfing, but they were moshing the entire time they were up there. Moshing crowd surfers. It seemed to defy physics, but I shit you not it was happening. People were falling onto me, kneeling on the stage. I rode out the rest of the show up there. Maybe the security thought I was a roadie. . .

Thankfully, I turned 21 not long after and put the whole pit thing behind me. Its too easy to spill your beer.

shwagnut420
02-06-2007, 09:05 PM
I think it should be a Coachella unwritten rule...mosh with a conscience or get beat down by the poeple around with who dont wish to get puched or knocked down by some asshole just trying to hurt someone.

cxunit
02-10-2007, 02:46 PM
violence is never the answer. :nono

ayates
02-10-2007, 02:50 PM
You see, people who display idiocy should automatically get thrown into a Converge mosh pit, no questions asked. This would teach them a valuable lesson.

GV should have Converge play 3 12-hour sets just for this reason, no breaks.

el_harderino
02-10-2007, 03:05 PM
You see, people who display idiocy should automatically get thrown into a Converge mosh pit, no questions asked. This would teach them a valuable lesson.

Man, saw converge with terror and the cursed. One of the most amazing spectacles i've ever witnessed. Jacob Bannon is nuts.

lmwhitter
02-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Beg to differ, mosh pits are a g-r-e-a-t way of releasing tension, a great high for those of us who to not use the chemicals, so long as we all look out for each other. I'd rather have a guy take me into the pit than take me to other places ;}... granted in the few past years I've notices some idiots that are just flat out to hurt others, what kind of sh... is that?!?!? Let's just have a fun . . . . don't want to see any set stopped cuz someone got their head busted. If you can't stand the pit, stay out of the circle!!!

Pits are the bomb!!!!

lmwhitter
02-26-2007, 02:28 PM
In smaller venues here in LA that does happen. In addition to that many small venues are putting security guards right next to the pit.......it is unconfortable at first, but then you just block them out, or stand behind them when you need a break.

laineinla
02-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Moshing is so 1990's. I p.refer the "Hokey Pokey" or even "Duck, Duck, Goose".

i once saw art from everclear (well... everclear minus all the other original members) stop during a show to tell the three drunk f'tards "MOSHING" and shoving all the girls around them (who the heck starts moshing at an acoustic everclear show at the house of blues??) that "moshing is so 1990s..."

anyhoo. random comment :)

ashtraygrl
02-27-2007, 10:28 AM
once again, i HATE moshpits. this is why:

moshpits in america have turned into an excuse for violence against anyone (including people not participating).

i see it all the time. i have seen (TWICE) a man punch a girl (who was not part of the pit) directly in the face, causing injury. i also saw one guy go ape shit and start pulling a random girl's (who was turned away trying to watch the show) hair and shoving her. my boyfriend had to tell him to knock it the fuck off.

i also see more and more, that when people fall, they are helped up less often than they used to be. it's common for people in the pit to purposefully kick/stomp people who've fallen down.

the last thing i need at a show that i PAID FOR is to worry about safety because some fucking twat needs to feel his cock get hard by assaulting people. i have no problem with the "old" moshing. people used to seperate the pit as much as possible and it was more about slamming into eachother and moving around with the music. you went in at your own risk, but people generally stopped when someone was injured, at least till they could get out.

lmwhitter
02-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Back in my days we called it po-go dancing....make sure your bladder is empty before doing it!!!

lmwhitter
02-27-2007, 11:02 AM
right on!!!! Well put!!!! I want to stand by you at the pit!!!

algunz
02-27-2007, 11:18 AM
In my younger days, I used to love to mosh. I am a relatively petite girl. (Don't let my domain name confuse you, it's short for Alessandra.) Despite my size and gender, I felt relatively safe. Yes, there were some mishaps - a boot to the face resulting in a split lip at a Beastie Boys show, a bruised rib after falling at the Violent Femmes, and a scary fall to the ground in the middle of a pit at Fishbone. But, in each of these incidents people were immediately there to help me before things got worse. (And at the Fishbone show it happened to be Vernon Reid's beuatiful big hand that pulled me up and out like I was a fragile doll - too dreamy) Unfortunately, things began to change around the mid '90s. The energy and the intent went sour and it sucked. A good mosh pit can be such an awesome communal experience - just packed with adrenaline and a shared love of the music. Too bad a few dipshits had to ruin the chi.

boarderwoozel3
02-27-2007, 12:14 PM
The pit is good fun. It does seem like more and more frat boys get the worng idea about it and think its an excuse to beat people up to music. A long as paople are looking out for one another its all good.

Havocquarm
02-27-2007, 12:48 PM
I think the best natured pit I have ever been in would for The Offspring. Everyone was jumping around, bouncing off each other, and singing along to every song. No one was out to hurt and everyone had a smile on theirn face.

I thought Children of Bodom was a surprisingly tame pit. I hate the douchebags that just run through the crowd with their head down shoving people, usually drunk rednecks. They are easy to trip though.