PDA

View Full Version : Portishead...

Memorial_07
01-22-2008, 06:08 AM
So good to see them on the lineup.
They could've been a sub-headliner but nope, they're headlining the second day. And I Couldn't be happier.
:)

With that said, what songs are you wanting them to play?
For me I'd want to head "It's A Fire", "Mystereons", "Strangers", "Sour Times", or "It Could Be Sweet."

elChurro
01-22-2008, 06:27 AM
Anything off both albums would suffice, curious what the new stuff sounds like. Either way, Saturday's Coachella will end on a somber note.

wa-wah... but I still heart portishead.

inkwell
01-22-2008, 06:34 AM
can't wait to hear numb, strangers, all mine, glory box, biscuit and pedestal.

HERETIC
01-22-2008, 10:11 AM
so they are like 100% confirmed to play right?

i'm consdiering traveling cross country just to see them and i would hate to get there and spend money just to see them and find out "oh they couldn't make it, b/c "blahblahblah"...

i would seriously be pretty pissed if that happened...

SFChrissy
01-22-2008, 10:13 AM
This will be synonomous to lying under a big subtle pink light during massive attack in 06 I think???

GnarVee
01-22-2008, 10:14 AM
they should be a sub-headliner......JaMC spot.......

HERETIC
01-22-2008, 10:15 AM
This will be synonomous to lying under a big subtle pink light during massive attack in 06 I think???

???

was MA scheduled to play and they didn't?

sorry, not sure what your talking about...

never been to a coachella, this would be my first...

inkwell
01-22-2008, 10:30 AM
i was in the very front when massive attack played in '06. it was certainly a metaphysical experience.. for me, that show and daft punk were the BEST acts for that year.

the only thing that sucked was listening to tool fans bitch and moan during massive's set b/c they were waiting for their band to play after massive attack.

shoegazer76
01-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Will DJ Andy Smith be on board?

inkwell
01-22-2008, 10:32 AM
oh and ill be flying from florida to coachella on saturday to see portishead only.. coachella is WEAK SAUCE this year.

faxman75
01-22-2008, 10:32 AM
I just don't dig Massive Attack. They put me to sleep in 2006. very boring. Apparently i'm alone in this opinion.

I am looking forward to Portishead this year though. I love them!

inkwell
01-22-2008, 10:34 AM
i think dj andy will definitely be there to play their old hits. i heard that he doesn't make an appearance at all on the record thats due out toward the end of the year ;[ i couldn't imagine portishead without the dj element involved... but i can't wait to hear portishead to bust out some brand spankin new tunes.

thedevious
01-22-2008, 10:34 AM
PORTISHEAD!

SFChrissy
01-22-2008, 10:35 AM
???

was MA scheduled to play and they didn't?

sorry, not sure what your talking about...

never been to a coachella, this would be my first...

on 06 Massive Attack played and we laid under this huge pink light while chilling with our crew being serrinaded by Massive Attack...

This I'm expecting to be a similar experience especially after just reading that Kraftwerk will be on the Mainstage with a big stage production...

I thought I'd miss some going from main to sahara but it looks like Death Cab, Portishead and Kraftwerk will all be on the mainstage...even if death cab is on the outdoor stage it's still perfect with minimal commute time from stage to stage...

digitalface
01-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Massive Attack was brilliant. Liz Fraser made me weep, she did. Front and center for Portishead <-- Me.

sacleonard
01-22-2008, 10:41 AM
They could've been a sub-headliner but nope, they're headlining the second day. And I Couldn't be happier.

For me I'd want to head "It's A Fire", "Mystereons", "Strangers", "Sour Times", or "It Could Be Sweet."

Given that they have two albums and a headlining slot, I would expect them to play nearly every song in their catalog.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Cowboys
All Mine
Only You
Sour Times
Pedestal
Half Day Closing
Seven Months

aschmi22
01-22-2008, 10:43 AM
I think the lineup this year sucks BAAAD!!!! I would rather redo last year or the year before... Death Cab??? Jack Johnson??? wtf? I would go to see Booka Shade, Hot Chip, Portishead, and a few other, but what about headlining with the teddy bears, or someone who is up and coming?? disappointed and not going.

faxman75
01-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Most of us would rather you didn't go, so this works out well.

microcuts
01-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Yep, the more room the better I say.

ADrunkPoet
01-22-2008, 11:13 AM
This ruins my hope for a Portishead sunset performance forever :(

Let's be honest, that would be their most optimal time to perform.

inkwell
01-22-2008, 01:34 PM
nah, the dead of the night would be optimal portishead performance time.

dontfeedthebird
01-22-2008, 02:30 PM
It doesn't matter what time they perform, it's Portishead.

amyzzz
01-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Portishead > everything else at the festival

Astrid
01-22-2008, 02:34 PM
i fucking love portishead. i am So excited. but i cant not say that it should have been portishead, followed by radiohead, the Headliner.

that would have been absolute perfection.

Swiss Misstery
01-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Half Day Closing might actually make me cry. I have to say I am thrilled about seeing Portishead on the lineup. I will catch a spot in the field near the main stage, lay down and enjoy a awesome end to a hot day.

beavington
01-22-2008, 02:46 PM

Ideally Cowboys (I love the creepy begining of the song, reminds me of America's Most Wanted), Mysterons, Elysium, Seven Months, Glory Box, Sour Times (Al Jourgenson vocal mix is what i call it, but its more commonly known as Airbus Reconstruction). The great thing that I loved about Portishead live is how FUCKING LOUD they get. very nice.

beavington
01-22-2008, 02:48 PM
This ruins my hope for a Portishead sunset performance forever :(

Let's be honest, that would be their most optimal time to perform.

Yes that is when I thought they were going to perform. I was hoping they werent going to be in the tent, and I was hoping that the sun would be going down as Half Day Closing was playing especially the end part. yeah. nice.

Memorial_07
01-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Given that they have two albums and a headlining slot, I would expect them to play nearly every song in their catalog.

Not really.
At ATP, they didn't play "It's A Fire."

They played more new stuff

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Portishead > everything else at the festival

True...expect maybe Kraftwerk (for me anyways)
Portishead = Kraftwerk

dontfeedthebird
01-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Portishead Portishead.

It Could Be Sweet.

Dave Gravy
01-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Requiem for Anna
Revenge of the Number
All Mine
Only You
Glory Box
Roads

dontfeedthebird
01-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Glory Box. It Could Be Sweet. It Could Be Sweet. Glory Box.

Beth Gibbons' Romance.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Anyone want to help me out here? I must have not been listening to the right music when Dummy came out because I just don't remember anyone really giving a shit about Portishead. Until I came to this message board a couple of years ago and it's all anyone's been clamoring for since (which adds to my shock of the negative response to the lineup this year). But I am sincerely asking in a non-ironic non-sarcastic way if someone could explain to me Portishead's real relevance and their value in headlining. I guess I tend to lump them in with Massive Attack as trip hop and I was actually probably MORE familiar with Massive Attack and they didn't headline so ... whoops I ran out of thoughts.

dontfeedthebird
01-24-2008, 06:57 PM
What are you talking about? Instead of voices, I hear Dummy.

Somewhat Damaged
01-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Ah, Dave Gravy, you beat me to it! I went through all the posts thinking, "Fantastic! I'll be the only one to request 'Roads' and everyone will be all, 'Yeah, Somewhat Damaged, how could we all forget that amazing song? Thanks for having the greatest Portishead song request EVER.'" But now you've gone and ruined what modicum of validation I was hoping to attain. Thanks a bunch.

HEADSTRUCK
01-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Anything off both albums would suffice, curious what the new stuff sounds like. Either way, Saturday's Coachella will end on a somber note.

wa-wah... but I still heart portishead.

heard most of the new album and it is great imo

Dave Gravy
01-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Ah, Dave Gravy, you beat me to it! I went through all the posts thinking, "Fantastic! I'll be the only one to request 'Roads' and everyone will be all, 'Yeah, Somewhat Damaged, how could we all forget that amazing song? Thanks for having the greatest Portishead song request EVER.'" But now you've gone and ruined what modicum of validation I was hoping to attain. Thanks a bunch.

You're welcome. I'll see ya there when they play that song...

Kali27
01-24-2008, 07:47 PM
my life's dream is about to come true... and its the only one I thought I'd never get to see come true...

but I never gave up hope...

I cried, yes.. cried, I was so f-ing happy

BrickTop24
01-24-2008, 07:53 PM
they're the main reason im goin this year. im so excited to see them.

msklvr
01-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Anyone want to help me out here? I must have not been listening to the right music when Dummy came out because I just don't remember anyone really giving a shit about Portishead. Until I came to this message board a couple of years ago and it's all anyone's been clamoring for since (which adds to my shock of the negative response to the lineup this year). But I am sincerely asking in a non-ironic non-sarcastic way if someone could explain to me Portishead's real relevance and their value in headlining. I guess I tend to lump them in with Massive Attack as trip hop and I was actually probably MORE familiar with Massive Attack and they didn't headline so ... whoops I ran out of thoughts.

First off, their music is timeless. It will be great music forever.

Beth is fuckin' sexy, well, not drop dead gorgeous, but sexy nonetheless. I love it when she smokes. Mmmmmm.

The band kicks serious ass. All members are so talented.

The live album they did, PNYC, cemented their two albums and their live performance forever as classics.

And then they all did other work for a while.

But now they are back.

This is from their website.
REAL NEWS

23 Jan 2008

We're pleased to announce that we'll be releasing our album, titled THIRD. on April 14th 2008.

The album has 11 tracks and is 49 minutes 13 seconds long.

This is a great time for Portishead fans.

msklvr
01-25-2008, 12:54 AM
I can already see myself driving to Indio with "Third" blasting through the car speakers...

mistdevil
01-25-2008, 01:02 AM
I want them to play everything!

Boourns
01-25-2008, 07:42 PM
So many songs I want to hear, since I've never heard ANY live, thanks to the lack of touring. But hopefully they get at least 90 minutes.

Especially want to hear Glory Box, Roads, Elysium, Strangers, Sour Times, Only You, Mysterons, All Mine....