PDA

View Full Version : Non-Americans: Still considering travelling after seeing the line-up?

superhunkdougal
01-22-2008, 02:29 AM
I've had every member of my potential travel-group bail after the release of today's line-up for a variety of reasons. So-so reception to head/sub-liners as well as a slew of bands which have been touring non-stop for the last few years. A number of bands which would be found on the bottom rungs of secondary stages at most European festivals. Which makes me wonder how many other dirty foreigners have decided to not attend this year based on today's news.

I did Glastonbury (UK), Roskilde (Denmark), Szigest (Hungary), Exit (Serbia), and Oxegen & Electric Picnic (Ireland) in 2007 and Coachella 2007 had by far the best line-up of the bunch.

A total disappointment as I have been dreaming about a desert holiday for weeks now, but for those within reasonable traveling distance it still sounds like a decent party.

Astrid
01-22-2008, 02:32 AM
that's really upsetting. i love talking to all the people who have come from around the world, they are just sooo fucking excited to be there, incredibly friendly, super down chillers.

i'm not surprised...but it quite the bummer.

whomod
01-22-2008, 02:37 AM
http://www.robkamphausen.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/default/shrug.gif

Not worth the 2 hour drive much less the hotel and tickets.

mepal47
01-22-2008, 02:49 AM
Im still going to be heading over from the UK headliners are weak but the rest of the line up is great so many of my fav acts playing.

Kateski
01-22-2008, 03:46 AM
I already booked my plane tickets so the answer is...yes ;)

But if i hadn't got my flights i would prob have passed on this lineup. What with RATM and Metallica playing Reading, Led Zeppelin prob headlining Glastonbury, Kiss @ Download...not counting the awesome lineups forming at Rock Am Ring, Roskilde, etc...i'm gonna have my work cut out as it is!

Coates
01-22-2008, 03:55 AM
i'm almost wishing i hadn't booked my flights now :(

sonofhal
01-22-2008, 04:04 AM
I've had every member of my potential travel-group bail after the release of today's line-up for a variety of reasons. So-so reception to head/sub-liners as well as a slew of bands which have been touring non-stop for the last few years. A number of bands which would be found on the bottom rungs of secondary stages at most European festivals. Which makes me wonder how many other dirty foreigners have decided to not attend this year based on today's news.

I did Glastonbury (UK), Roskilde (Denmark), Szigest (Hungary), Exit (Serbia), and Oxegen & Electric Picnic (Ireland) in 2007 and Coachella 2007 had by far the best line-up of the bunch.

A total disappointment as I have been dreaming about a desert holiday for weeks now, but for those within reasonable traveling distance it still sounds like a decent party.

More room for me then - enjoy your shit ladrock at Reading etc.

amy2705
01-22-2008, 04:08 AM
im still coming over despite the pretty crappy headliners this year. last year i was only fussed by RAGE anyway and stuck to the tents for most of the weekend. The UK may have some amazing headliners this year but you can be certain that the rest of the line up will be the same old bands you get every year. and would you give up being in California for standing in muddy field drinking warm Carling whilst standing next to someone who wishes she was kate moss. Coachella is as much about the big bands as it is about bands you have never heard of.

amyzzz
01-22-2008, 04:08 AM
Other than Saturday, I think Coachella has jumped the shark unless they make a few good adds.

Cpt. Funkaho
01-22-2008, 04:13 AM
Other than Saturday, I think Coachella has jumped the shark unless they make a few good adds.

There is an international moratorium on the use of that phrase, and I'll thank you to abide by it. Its use rankles me more than seeing Jack Johnson as the Friday headliner, which is saying something.

JSam67
01-22-2008, 04:25 AM
Although I am American, it's still a jaunt from here. We drove last year, it was about 26-27 hours straight through. Planning on road trippin' again this year but I'm concerned members of my going party will waver now with the lineup (they're already doing so).

Not a big deal for me to fly out myself if worst comes to worst, but I'm using all my PTO on Coachella and the big-time Western road trip we were planning. Up to LA, San Fran, Portland, Seattle, and start looping back to Iowa City. Which could (I hope) still happen, I was looking forward to that, but I just can't afford to if 2-3 friends back out.

Decisions, decisions...well, at least I know what I'm doing (buying my ticket Friday morning).

insbordnat
01-22-2008, 04:30 AM

That's an ignorant statement. You're saying all future years will be shite if they don't add some more "headliners" this year?

When you are done with it, pass over that crystal ball. I have to make some sports bets and change my name to Biff Tannen.

CiaranIRE
01-22-2008, 04:37 AM
I booked my flights in September, and a mini bus etc. Have to see what everybody else decides to do first but I wouldnt pay 325USD for that lineup. I'm sure people will pull out.

Likewise I've been to plenty of European festivals and I think I'll be making Rock Werchter or Roskilde now after seeing that lineup. The only bands confirmed for Roskilde so far...Radiohead, and Chemical Brothers....both of them beat any headline at Coachella, and The Chemical Brothers are usually at best headliners on a second stage.

gadnerd
01-22-2008, 04:37 AM
NOp, to much money for just One or Two Big Headliners, no way!

MrSheen
01-22-2008, 04:40 AM
4 of us are still going. I think we were always going despite the line-up cos, if i'm honest, it's nice not having loads and loads of bands that you're desperate to see, cos you don't stress about missing them, meaning you can enjoy the atmosphere and just have a laugh.

Plus, there's a fair number of bands still to be added isn't there? and maybe even drop out.

kris-ko
01-22-2008, 05:21 AM
Me and my girl have already booked a trip across the US with Coacehlla on the itinerary on the strength of last year's line-up, and while today's anouncement isn't particularly amazing, I doubt we'll get a chance to see Roger Waters playing Dark Side Of The Moon to close a festival in a desert down here in Australia anytime soon.

So yeah, definitely still going provided we get tickets!

And line-up needs more Underworld. :thu

el chango
01-22-2008, 05:22 AM
I'm coming from Mexico, it'll be my 4th time. I'm going because I already have the plane tickets and I've always had an amazing time at coachella and this year won't be different, I mean, I'll be camping with my friends, listening to some good music, getting to know new bands... so, I guess the lineup really doesn't matter THAT much...

clarky123
01-22-2008, 05:30 AM
I think you might find that a lot of Non-Americans have only the cost of flights and accommodation to consider as a result of the great Will-Call Debacle of 2007. The end result of that may be having Jack Whatssisname as a headliner!

amy2705
01-22-2008, 05:50 AM
i was under the impression that ticket-master were footing the bill for us with free tickets or am i completely wrong no idea how it was going to to work out.

BeHereNOW
01-22-2008, 06:05 AM
i'm traveling from mexico northeast
this is always a major moment of the year for me, no way I'm staying home while i could be enjoying Kratwerk in the main stage...

i declare myself a fckn ignorant about the headliner on friday and that love and rockets band, lets just say that i was expecting bigger names but there are several other good acts that will be around...

as soon as the date is closer the line up always grow on me so i'm not missing this years... who know if there will be another chance to go though....

cheers,

erniemm
01-22-2008, 06:40 AM
i'm traveling from mexico northeast
this is always a major moment of the year for me, no way I'm staying home while i could be enjoying Kratwerk in the main stage...

i declare myself a fckn ignorant about the headliner on friday and that love and rockets band, lets just say that i was expecting bigger names but there are several other good acts that will be around...

as soon as the date is closer the line up always grow on me so i'm not missing this years... who know if there will be another chance to go though....

cheers,

I agree with you. But last year, damn it was good! The lineup was really really far much better than this year's one. Some of my pals are thinking about going to Bonnaroo or APW and you know its not fun going just by yourself. Im from Mexico too and its a long trip from here. Will see, but im kinda disappointed with this lineup cause they are not spending the big bucks just to give space for the new festival...

scoop49er
01-22-2008, 06:42 AM
even though i love the fest. it seems like jj is the jump the shark moment for coachella! thats too bad. but im stil going cuz there are enough quality bands. but if they want to salvage street cred, they need to add someone to friday to offset the disaster that jj is becoming

ceva81
01-22-2008, 06:51 AM
I dont know what the big fucking deal is, those who dont like the line up just dont go and thats it, stop complaining about it im going for sure how can so many people be so close minded plus there are a lot of good bands and dj's that are not headlining cut copy, chromeo, calvin harris, sasha & digweed, sandra collins come on plus roger waters doing the dark side of the moon on the desert? what more can you ask for

BeHereNOW
01-22-2008, 06:59 AM
agree, this will be very different if a different headliner on friday

isn't that late to have The Virgins this year included on the lineup?
=D

el chango
01-22-2008, 07:14 AM
Will see, but im kinda disappointed with this lineup cause they are not spending the big bucks just to give space for the new festival...

This lineup has some bands that will never come to Mexico (Portishead, The Verve, Raconteurs, The Breeders, The Streets, Rilo Kiley, Gogol Bordello, etc), last year's headliners we're "bigger", but all of them have played in Mexico. So maybe all of us mexicans can focus on those bands and enjoy the festival...

BTW Jarvis Cocker will play in Toluca on March!!! that's a concert I'm really excited about.

tigermilkboy
01-22-2008, 07:31 AM
i'll stick with seeing radiohead in june and fly over for their north american tour instead. the line-up is kinda not inspiring

Habitual Speeder
01-22-2008, 07:45 AM
I dont know what the big fucking deal is, those who dont like the line up just dont go and thats it, stop complaining about it im going for sure how can so many people be so close minded plus there are a lot of good bands and dj's that are not headlining cut copy, chromeo, calvin harris, sasha & digweed, sandra collins come on plus roger waters doing the dark side of the moon on the desert? what more can you ask for

Are you new? :rolleyes

Check the lineups for the past festivals...that might give you an idea of why folks are complaining.

A group of us made the trek from Canada, last year (Toronto & Ottawa)...the festival was fantastic & we wanted to head back. That might not happen, now...

Sari.e
01-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Last year only cost me about $1200 in total, so I really can't whine.
But I honestly don't think I can even justify paying that this year after seeing the line-up. I was really expecting something a bit more exciting....I mean Jack Johnson?? ugh.

Worrywort
01-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Yeah, I've never been to Coachella but last year's lineup was amazing and I really wanted to go this year. There are quite a few really good bands this year that I'd like to see, and the electronic/dance lineup looks pretty sick (even though the Chems and/or Underworld are absent).

BUT the only thing is that many of these groups have been touring already or will be touring, so I've already seen/will see most of them before Coachella. I don't know if this is worth the trip because I'd be coming from Montreal. The only act I'm seriously, seriously pumped about is Kraftwerk, and it would suck to miss that but honestly, I don't have that kind of money to shell out for one act. Flights/tickets/hotel! It's expensive. I'm thinking I'll just save up my money for the Radiohead tour and hope that Kraftwerk also visits Montreal this year, like they did the last time they played Coachella.

Lorelei
01-22-2008, 08:07 AM
First last night I was a tad disappointed, but reading the bill again (and knowing GV probably has some names up their sleeves) I'm quite excited about quite a few medium-sized acts that I'll thoroughly enjoy (Les Savy Fav, Spiritualized, Battles, Turbonegro, Gogol Bordello, Autolux...) as well as about Portishead and Roger Waters that are great stuff to chill out to.

In the end I'm glad there are no huge headliners I wouldn't miss for all the world's gold, cause that would obviously come in the way of discovering stuff.

victor831
01-22-2008, 08:13 AM
its a sad day, no way it is worth the 12 hour trip and the expenses for me and my friends, forget the insult of a headliner that is jack j. the lineup is with a few exceptions weak and a shitload of good bands "that you would think would be there" are missing, a sad fucking day, we've had great times coachella but you've changed man you've changed....

ceva81
01-22-2008, 08:15 AM
no im not new i atended coachella 06 and even doe i wanted to be there for 07 couldnt make it but still lots of great acts are going to be there i was there when daft punk played they blew my mind but i dont want every year to be like the one i atended or like the year before this one (07) just diferent and enjoyable and thats what this year is all about if you people made a little research youll see that there is a good amount of good bands and dj's

joppy-slow
01-22-2008, 08:38 AM
its a sad day, no way it is worth the 12 hour trip and the expenses for me and my friends, forget the insult of a headliner that is jack j. the lineup is with a few exceptions weak and a shitload of good bands "that you would think would be there" are missing, a sad fucking day, we've had great times coachella but you've changed man you've changed....

yeah.. after my friends saw the line-up we bagged our trip from SLC. I just released my room at the Marriot if anyone is looking for a room, act fast..

If I lived in L.A. I would for sure be buying tickets to Coachella this year.. But the only acts that grab me are Deadmau5, Diplo, BookaShade, Calvin Harris, A-Track (he is amazing) and Roger Waters.. Not worth traveling and spending over a few grand for this years line-up..

I agree with someone who said the festival market is getting over saturated in the U.S.A. It clearly shows with the weak headliners at Coachella this year. I guess every year can't be as epic as the last. But the good news is, their are a few other festivals that will probably be better than Coachella this year.. Traveling to NY for Coachella's other festival would be hella fun.. Maybe try out Bonarroo this year for a new take. Anyway, long live Coachella.. and have fun.. im out.

Kateski
01-22-2008, 08:41 AM
I should not have bought my ticket before the lineup was released...it's my own fault. But there was a really good deal on flights and past lineups are fantastic!

So yeah, i'm going and it's gonna be fun whatever...just a tiny bit of me is still disappointed :p

outof_nowhere
01-22-2008, 09:41 AM
you guys are retards, the lineup is good for the most part. im flying across the country.

JebusLives
01-22-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm from Calgary (36 hour drive). My friends (who have come 3 or 4 times now) have all bailed after seeing that poster. Hugely disappointment all around.

I'm probably still coming, just because I look so forward to it all winter. There are some decent bands, but I'm not super excited anymore.

english rob
01-22-2008, 10:01 AM
i will not be travelling all that way for this terrible line up

orbit
01-22-2008, 10:07 AM
We'll miss you.

Actually, most of my non-american friends also bailed after this initial lineup. Oh well..

Trudeau
01-22-2008, 10:14 AM
I'll be there.

It'sTheWhiskeyTalking
01-22-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm not in the "Non-American" category, but in '05 and '06 I flew from New York City with some friends to Coachella and had the time of my life. I couldn't make it in '07 for personal reasons, but I had every intention to go. Now, in '08, I live in Southern California (moved out here a few months ago) and the lackluster lineup, coupled with the APW Festival, has left my New York friends impulsively telling me they are not coming this year. They would rather come to the amazing desert backdrop than go to Northern Jersey, but without a lineup as spectacular as previous years (to say the least), the incentive to shell out the big bucks is simply not there for them. So, they will likely not be in attendance. It's a shame for me, since the friends I have made out here are not into this type of festival, for the most part. At this point, I do not know what to do. I don't see myself going to Coachella alone, but until I make the final decision I will be downloading music...as if I am still coming.

ciaoq
01-22-2008, 10:27 AM
went in 2006 from ireland, the line ups have always been way better than anything europe had to offer....except this year. looks like the fall out from last summers euro fests. no wow factor

Keitto
01-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Yeah, many of my friends think so. We are not thrilled or excited about going. I love Portishead, The Verve, Justice and Kraftwerk... geez, I guess that's it.

We're waiting to confirm if it's true the free tickets this year because of the Will-Call Debacle of 2007; if it's true, we'll see you there, fellas, otherwise... my new car will be bigger, I guess...

We're from Mexico City, btw.

tripcalifornia
01-22-2008, 12:53 PM

But if i hadn't got my flights i would prob have passed on this lineup. What with RATM and Metallica playing Reading, Led Zeppelin prob headlining Glastonbury, Kiss @ Download...not counting the awesome lineups forming at Rock Am Ring, Roskilde, etc...i'm gonna have my work cut out as it is!

I think I want to move overseas!!!!

tripcalifornia
01-22-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm from Calgary (36 hour drive). My friends (who have come 3 or 4 times now) have all bailed after seeing that poster. Hugely disappointment all around.

I'm probably still coming, just because I look so forward to it all winter. There are some decent bands, but I'm not super excited anymore.

Drive??? With the $4+ per gallon it'll be by then?? OMG, how much would that cost anyway? You really DRIVE 36 hours?

GianCG
01-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I am an American and I live pretty damn close to Coachella & I don't even think I'm going to travel a few hours after seeing this years line-up. There are some good bands, but none that are seriously worth the money.

fsm10
01-22-2008, 01:09 PM

You know what? I'm tired of the "stop complaining, just don't go" responses. The point is these people care. They WANT to go to Coachella. Many are vets that make the trek across the country(s) or ocean. Coachella has the tradition of being the premiere festivals for top acts. They've had a track record for always having the big names.

Now these people who have book hotels and buy plane tickets up to a year in advance get this kind of underwhelming niche market lineup? $1000+ for a bunch of non-headliners? How does one justify that over seeing the same non-headliners with REAL headliners at a festival closer to home for half the money? International or out of state Coachella vets who booked early have every right to protest this lineup.

Jack Johnson: Obviously not a headliner based on pretty much everyone's opinion aroun here. There would be FAR less complaints if he were on the undercard.

Portishead: Not a headliner basically because they've been gone so long and no one but Portishead fans actually know any songs. Many know the band name, most couldn't name 3 songs.

Roger Waters: With the rest of Pink Floyd they would be a headliner. Roger Waters solo... anyone who's not part of his generation or who didn't know he was in Pink Floyd would have no idea who he is.

The fact is a large number of the general public base their concert decision on the headliners. The headliners make or break the ticket buying decision, and the undercard is great filler to round out the festival experience. Everyone just assumed that like all years previous the headliner this year would be stellar, but it seems to many people's opinion this years headliners are a major disappointment and it pains them to see Coachella turnout like this.

tripcalifornia
01-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Coachella has the tradition of being the premiere festivals for top acts. They've had a track record for always having the big names.

Now these people who have book hotels and buy plane tickets up to a year in advance get this kind of underwhelming niche market lineup? $1000+ for a bunch of non-headliners? How does one justify that over seeing the same non-headliners with REAL headliners at a festival closer to home for half the money?

The fact is a large number of the general public base their concert decision on the headliners. The headliners make or break the ticket buying decision, and the undercard is great filler to round out the festival experience. Everyone just assumed that like all years previous the headliner this year would be stellar, but it seems to many people's opinion this years headliners are a major disappointment and it pains them to see Coachella turnout like this.

I can understand this point of view, for sure. If I had to pre-purchase plane tickets OVERSEAS for date that normally sells out due to demand, dishing out over a grand (at least) anticipating names and a line-up based on the event's history, I'd feel REALLY let down...airlines don't usually refund your $1000+ ticket price because you've decided it's too much money for that line-up. The experience of Coachella IS so much more than just the music as I've said 100+ times, BUT then again, I also LIVE in southern california too....

MissingPerson
01-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Coachella's not an actual option for me anyway... but I will miss feeling pissed off about not being able to go, does that count?

traviscanada
01-22-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm still flying from Canada for sure.

Jakewc151
01-22-2008, 03:55 PM
I am sick of people complaining about the line up... Quit bitching.. You all know if JJ wasn't on the bill everyone would still be coming. You people just don't have enough money and/or would rather fork out the cash for premier radiohead seats or APW.

Wheres the beef?
01-22-2008, 05:22 PM
That's an ignorant statement. You're saying all future years will be shite if they don't add some more "headliners" this year?

When you are done with it, pass over that crystal ball. I have to make some sports bets and change my name to Biff Tannen.

+1 for Tannen

fumfum
01-22-2008, 06:05 PM
I have been to coachella 06 and 07 from Japan, but I am not sure that I am going this year. I could not make up my mind yet.

RageAtLast
01-23-2008, 03:00 PM

If RATM are definitely playing Reading - are you REALLY sure? - then spending megabucks on Coachella maybe isn't such a good idea!

Manuel
04-07-2008, 08:24 PM
I've been wanting to go to Coachella for a good 3-4 years now, and I was holding my breath for this year's lineup to be THE lineup for a newbie like myself...and I must say, up to today I'm still a bit disappointed, but then again, there's lots of promising stuff lined up (I'll lose my shit to Kraftwerk, I'm sure), and just the chance of meeting tons of people from all over and getting drunk/fucked up with your best friends in such a setting is very worthwhile IMO

I'm flying in from Monterrey, Mexico, anyone else too?

sikiboy
04-07-2008, 08:56 PM
I've been wanting to go to Coachella for a good 3-4 years now, and I was holding my breath for this year's lineup to be THE lineup for a newbie like myself...and I must say, up to today I'm still a bit disappointed, but then again, there's lots of promising stuff lined up (I'll lose my shit to Kraftwerk, I'm sure), and just the chance of meeting tons of people from all over and getting drunk/fucked up with your best friends in such a setting is very worthwhile IMO

Nope... from Monterrey no, but from Sonora Yup... We'll be driving up to Indio on the 25th. it's about a 6 hour drive from Nogales To Indio... So I'll see you there fellow compadre... lol... I'm also a Newbie...

Sonicifyouwantit
04-08-2008, 09:42 AM

you wont regret it