PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions?

kaeso
01-22-2008, 01:11 AM
recommend some lesser known acts playing this year for the undecided to give a listen and be swayed, or for those going looking to familiarize themselves with more of the line up.

orbit
01-22-2008, 01:13 AM
The Bees
Holy Fuck
Modeselektor
St Vincent
Man Man
Cinematic Orchestra
Les Savy Fav

Cdubby
01-22-2008, 01:21 AM
I blindly picked Man Man off the poster and checked out their myspace, I am pleasantly suprised on the first listen- especially the song Black Mission Goggles

JSam67
01-22-2008, 01:24 AM
I blindly picked Man Man off the poster and checked out their myspace, I am pleasantly suprised on the first listen- especially the song Black Mission Goggles

I didn't discover Man Man until watching them open for Modest Mouse and their live show features impressively high energy. They're like Gogol minus gypsies. Definitely won me over. Expecting their show at Coachella to be high-energy, high reward (as long as they're playing a tent and not outdoors).

ThatBul
01-22-2008, 01:44 AM
I'll take a stab at this with some of the artists I know...

I highly suggest checking out Sandra Collins DJ set if you don't know her and are a fan of Sasha & Digweed or Deep Dish or any sort of "progressive" house/trance music. Also, I saw James Zabiela at Virgin Festival in Baltimore last year and would recommend checking out his set as well.

Deadmau5 is becoming a huge name as a remixer/producer in the progressive dance music genre; no idea how good of a DJ he is though.

Pendulum is drum n bass, and as far as I can tell, the only drum n bass at the festival. Which means I'll probably be there if I go this year.

I just got through sampling the Friday artists via iTunes store, MySpace, YouTube, etc, and dan le sac VS Scoobius Pip was the nicest surprise. Looks to be two British ironic hipsters doing electro-tinged hip-hop. I realize I probably just made it seem unappealing, but if I'm there, I WILL be checking these guys out.

Dan Deacon is another guy I saw at Virgin Festival, his show seems to be a very unconventional performance art kind of thing. I don't wanna ruin anything, but I'll say that he involves the audience in his show a lot.

Sia is the female singer for Zero 7, I don't know much else about her.

Dimitri From Paris does disco house and electronic lounge music, but seeing as he will most likely be doing a DJ set, it will pretty much be a set of the former. I highly recommend checking out A Night at the Playboy Mansion and After The Playboy Mansion mix albums, as well as his studio albums like Sacrebleu.

Uffie is one of the 183 artists at Coachella signed to Ed Banger Records. She is a female rapper and can be heard on Justice's track "The Party" for those of you who know Justice. Her rapping style is reminscent of JJ Fad and L'Trimm, which is awesome.

kaeso
01-22-2008, 01:44 AM
I quite like what i hear of Man Man as well, and merely based of of the few songs i have now listened to, they seem like they would be exceedingly enjoyable to see live.

KungFuJoe
01-22-2008, 01:49 AM
CUT COPY

Astrid
01-22-2008, 01:49 AM
man man is MIND BLOWING live. there are no pauses between their songs, pure energy and bouncing around...most excellent.

Jakedeez
01-22-2008, 01:52 AM

Cdubby whered you get that Fresno State helmet? I Live in Fresno, and Man Man played a show down in Visalia last year.

dtizzle
01-22-2008, 01:59 AM
xxx

Astrid
01-22-2008, 02:24 AM
i saw luckyiam earlier this year when he opened for atmosphere, he was so fucking adorable. he made me so happy. i was very excited to see his name.

whomod
01-22-2008, 02:35 AM
Love is All.

dtizzle
01-22-2008, 02:37 AM
xxx

whomod
01-22-2008, 03:30 AM
The Klaxons?

I guess winning the NME Album of the year isn't worth much anymore...

http://www.robkamphausen.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/default/shrug.gif

idrive1life
01-22-2008, 03:33 AM
also cold war kids. i cannot fucking wait to see these guys.

Cold War Kids are just ok so don't get too excited.

Here's a few (once again) ...

I'm From Barcelona
Vampire Weekend
Man Man
The Field
120 Days
Les Savy Fav
St. Vincent
Holy Fuck

whomod
01-22-2008, 03:33 AM
Les Savy Fav are playing day 3, which appears to be the best day out of all 3.

Still not enough to justify even a 1 day ticket for me though....

Hopefully Love & Rockets will play a warm up gig at the Glass House.