PDA

View Full Version : SAT = who?!?!

ecalcott
01-21-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm looking forward to my 4th Coachella, despite the subpar line-up, since most of the fun is checking out all the bands besides the headliners.

However, I gotta ask, "Does anyone know any of the bands in the bottom 4 lines of Saturday's lineup?" I'm usually familiar with 70% of the "smaller print" bands, but who the hell are these people playing Saturday?! (apologies to St. Vincent.)

I've never shown up to the polo grounds later than 1pm, but this might be a great day to sleep in.

Clearly GV tried to push a lot of bands into Friday since it was the slowest of the days last year, but now we're left with, errr, Electric Touch?!?!

kingdumb
01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
well first off, how have you not heard of dredg? and i personally know of Sebastian, Uffie, New young pony club, and their all pretty good but all like dancy music, so if you into it do it!

plus how are you gonna sleep in, or are you not camping?
te he

jtovar21
01-21-2008, 10:16 PM
NEW YOUNG PONY CLUB
ljbBpxbMmLc

St. Vincent
1vxQs84FMWQ

Surkin
G7UB2YPOCm4

Remember YOUTUBE, can be your friend too.

microcuts
01-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Yoav is like a pre-band Howie Day.

jaysocal
01-21-2008, 10:21 PM
This may be a better "more recognized" video for New Young Pony Club...have you ever seen the commercial for Intel?

New Young Pony Club
1yYAOUc7YBE

goatparade
01-21-2008, 10:37 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING?!!! MGMT is in my top 3

digitalface
01-21-2008, 10:41 PM
NYPC are rad as fuck and Yoav is fantastic. He's another looper with a guitar as his instrument. He creates some amazing sounds, but he needs a top-end system to do it on. Super excited to see him on here, though. Super.

scarlettred217
01-22-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm a huge Ed Banger fan so I will be stoked to see Sebastian, Kavinsky, and Uffie on Sat. Also on Sat..... M.I.A, Hot Chip, Boyz Noise, Junkie Xl and of course Portishead and Kraftwerk!

Like most people on the boards, I am VERY unhappy with the headliners (minus Portishead.) I REALLY hope they wisen up and add some more big-name acts. I was super excited when i heard rumors of The Knife and Goldfrapp!

Also make sure to not miss....FRI. Midnight Juggernaughts, Diplo, Busy P, Cut Copy and Modeselektor.

Sun- Spiritualized, Justice (will be weird seeing them late at night, and totally hopping....they were awesome at their debut at coachella last year, but will still kick ass!) Simian Mobile Disko!!!!! (my new excitement this year)...Chromeo...and of course L + rockets!

Sunday Sahara could use a lot more work!

luckyface
01-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Check out Cinematic Orchestra. They are "kick in your face" good. Also, Grand Ol Party is very cool. Their drummer is their lead singer, and she has some pipes on her. Plus, she drummed with her miniskirt on, so she obviously is cool.

orbit
01-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Don't check out Junkie XL.

bmack86
01-22-2008, 12:27 AM
I didn't realize upon first glance, but I've seen Grand Ole Party. They were fairly good, but I don't need to see them again. Her voice is powerful, though.

GnarVee
01-22-2008, 05:16 AM
DREDG. DONT MISS OUT!!!!!!!!!!

coldstart
01-22-2008, 05:18 AM
Good luck sleeping in. It's hard to sleep past 8am with the sun burning down on the tent city.

clincher
01-22-2008, 06:02 AM
I'll sleep in, the cook breakfast, then go to the pool, then go to the show...you campers are fools.

Memorial_07
01-22-2008, 06:11 AM
Kavinsky is going to be a great performance.

elChurro
01-22-2008, 06:22 AM
coachella's always been about no-name bands, soon after they come back as known bands that you come to see 4 years later. get with it already... open your ears and mind.

scarlettred217
01-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah...I hope Kavinsky and Sabastian do their stuff live. When I saw them open for Daft Punk and The Rapture last summer in Seattle, they weren't even on stage! They were set up on the floor in the back! It was still sorta sweet seeing them spin off and on, back and forth with one another, but i was really hoping for it to more about THEM doing their own stuff!

I hope they bust out the real shit for coachella!

Courtney
01-22-2008, 10:48 AM
St. Vincent
1vxQs84FMWQ

I want to marry her.

It'sTheWhiskeyTalking
01-22-2008, 10:52 AM
coachella's always been about no-name bands, soon after they come back as known bands that you come to see 4 years later. get with it already... open your ears and mind.

That's why he is asking. Duh.

quicksand
01-22-2008, 10:57 AM
St. Vincent is good. Also a fan of MGMT, Cinematic Orchestra, and SEbastiAn.

ecalcott
01-22-2008, 12:27 PM
ok thanks everyone. i'll start with sebastian, kavinski, and cinematic orchestra.
st. vincent's album is great, but she was the only performer i recognized. (besides vhs or beta, whom i could probably miss.)
also, apparently i have to look into dredge; shame on me and my ignorance.
however, i'm not ignorant enough to sleep in a tent. i think maybe ill have french toast saturday morning.

PrettyRagdoll
01-22-2008, 03:56 PM
I fucking hate St. Vincent. God she's annoying

User Name
01-22-2008, 03:57 PM
St. Vincent is good. Also a fan of MGMT, Cinematic Orchestra, and SEbastiAn.
St. Vincent is a fucking cunt

boarderwoozel3
01-22-2008, 03:59 PM
I looking forward to Modeselektor. His live stuff on youtube looks like he can really get the crowd going.

*I want the bears either onsatge or in the crowd as well...

nationocean
01-22-2008, 04:05 PM
i must say i would never recommend camping.. if you want any sleep, sanity or to feel clean at all. it is awful. i stay at a nice hotel every year and i love it!

and yes, junkie XL is one to miss...

PrettyRagdoll
01-22-2008, 04:09 PM
AHH! You must immediately disregard that last post! Camping is an all night party! And when your tired... go to your tent and sleep. It's no where near as loud as people make it out to be.

Trick Loves The Kids
01-22-2008, 04:17 PM
If Sebastian and Kavinsky are doing live sets then I'll see them but if they're DJing I'm gonna pass. Those dudes are bad DJs.

800lb
01-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Low Level Hotness, My Recommendations

Day One
Midnight Juggernauts, Spank Rock, Diplo, Santogold, Jens Lekman, Dan Deacon, Cut Copy, Black Lips, Professor Murder, Modeselektor, Architecture in Helsinki (That sounds like a fucking awesome day)

Day Two
Islands, Boyz Noise, Cinematic Orchestra, the Teenagers, Erol Alkan, Yo Majesty! (black lesbian ghettotech moves me), Bonde do Role, Akron Family, all of the Institubes guys, Sebastian and Kavinsky, the Bird and the Bee, 120 Days, and Uffie

Day Three
Shout Out Louds, Man Man, Kid Sister and A-Trak, Black Kids, Holy Fuck, The Cool Kids, Les Savy Fav, the Field, Dimitri From Paris, Booka Shade, SMD

I skipped the last two years at the fest, but looking at this list I might have to drag myself down there. I really don't see what everyone is complaining about. Sure, the headliners don't seem that significant, but Kraftwerk were the most talked about band at Coachella the year that Radiohead/Flaming Lips/Pixies/The Cure played. Come off it.

User Name
01-22-2008, 04:27 PM
HOLY FUCK = Best Band Name Ever

crazzz2007
01-22-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm a huge Ed Banger fan so I will be stoked to see Sebastian, Kavinsky, and Uffie on Sat. Also on Sat..... M.I.A, Hot Chip, Boyz Noise, Junkie Xl and of course Portishead and Kraftwerk!

Like most people on the boards, I am VERY unhappy with the headliners (minus Portishead.) I REALLY hope they wisen up and add some more big-name acts. I was super excited when i heard rumors of The Knife and Goldfrapp!

Also make sure to not miss....FRI. Midnight Juggernaughts, Diplo, Busy P, Cut Copy and Modeselektor.

Sun- Spiritualized, Justice (will be weird seeing them late at night, and totally hopping....they were awesome at their debut at coachella last year, but will still kick ass!) Simian Mobile Disko!!!!! (my new excitement this year)...Chromeo...and of course L + rockets!

Sunday Sahara could use a lot more work!

damn, your taste in music is very.......limited (just to be nice)

crazzz2007
01-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Kavinsky is going to be a great performance.

http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/06/puke_aftermath.jpg

crazzz2007
01-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Yeah...I hope Kavinsky and Sabastian do their stuff live. When I saw them open for Daft Punk and The Rapture last summer in Seattle, they weren't even on stage! They were set up on the floor in the back! It was still sorta sweet seeing them spin off and on, back and forth with one another, but i was really hoping for it to more about THEM doing their own stuff!

I hope they bust out the real shit for coachella!

the real shit? i'm afraid you need to look at other acts for that.

nationocean
01-22-2008, 04:51 PM
http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/06/puke_aftermath.jpg

fucking hilarious!

i lol'd. seriously.

SecretAgentX-9
01-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Don't feel bad for not having heard of dredg, nothing special. And fuck you guys for the st. vincent hate.

scarlettred217
01-22-2008, 08:03 PM
damn, your taste in music is very.......limited (just to be nice)

I was asked for recommendations...and those are my favorites. I'm not saying that those are the only artists that I will be enjoying.