PDA

View Full Version : Goldenvoice must be panicking right now.

TickleMeElmo
01-21-2008, 09:32 PM
How could they not be? The lineup is getting a pretty bad reaction so far, unless they have something REALLY GOOD to add later. They must something in the works to win some fans back... instead of APW. Then again, they are also the ones who decided to book these headliners.

FYI, I actually love this lineup and I'm sure as hell going, I'm just worried... that's all. I really don't want this to turn into Lollapalooza 2004. I have a feeling this is going to have bad sales and affect the festival altogether. I guess when tickets go on sale we can track the GA numbers and see how fast they are going.

matsuolost
01-21-2008, 09:33 PM
it got the same reaction in 05 and 06 (before daft punk)

i think they got used to it

Carlo Von Sexron
01-21-2008, 09:34 PM
They're going to make money. Combined with Jerseychella...they're going to make a lot of money. They're happy.

depechemodekraftwerk
01-21-2008, 09:34 PM
YES PRE_SALE

rage patton
01-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Seriously, it was the same in 07.

In a week or two... it will be nothing but love for Coachella. With the occasional "Seriously, I still can't believe Jack Johnson is headlining."

ladadata
01-21-2008, 09:36 PM
thje lineup=shit

kingdumb
01-21-2008, 09:38 PM
thje lineup=shit

the lineup isnt shit!
just one headliner is.
and just coz its not ALL bands you recognize open your music asshole!
(just saying)

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey, but 05 and 06 where not as bad as this. I mean, Jack Johnson? Depeche Mode, Coldplay, NIN and Tool are fucking GODS compared to JJ.

and don't get me started on the weak sub headliners. I mean, the only thing i look forward is Saturday. That's it.

TickleMeElmo
01-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Neither was 07. A majority of the reactions today aren't good and that's not just from this board. Look at their MySpace.

veronikaa
01-21-2008, 09:42 PM
how can GV have the BALLS to choose such a shitty lineup?!?!
they should not only be scared...
they should fire everyone who was involved in making such decisions for Coachella '08

shame on them!

JustSteve
01-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Neither was 07. A majority of the reactions today aren't good and that's not just from this board. Look at their MySpace.

look who frequents myspace.

Sci-Fi
01-21-2008, 09:43 PM
rage to jj, for shame!

instinct
01-21-2008, 09:43 PM
08 has got WAAAAAAAY worse reactions than 05 and 06.. for good reason too.

greenplastic875
01-21-2008, 09:44 PM
You people only want something sparkly. Get used to it. And I doubt anyone who claims this lineup is shit has even heard or even seen most of these artists.

fsm10
01-21-2008, 09:44 PM
The facebook group's wall posts have a lot of negative reaction as well.

kroqken
01-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Does Coachella have a Facebook page?

garrett222
BJORK > JACK JOHNSON

Gyrus
meh...

we shall see, I reckon sunday will see out pretty quickly with all the old fuckers who are all nostalgic because they get to here some floyd.

Here's to hoping some more acts get added...

TickleMeElmo
01-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Looks who frequents MySpace? You mean people who attend Coachella? I admit, there is a certain crowd on there but that's also a BIG crowd too.

boarderwoozel3
I don't know if they're panicking but they must be aware of the negative reaction they're getting to the initial lineup.

The real test will come once the tickets go onsale. If they aren't selling well then we'll probably see some nice adds. If they sell well like last year then we won't see anything big added (like last year).

Aphxtwinin
if jack johnson remains the headliner EVERYONE should boo him and then leave the field bare when he begins to play

microcuts
01-21-2008, 09:47 PM
umm, anyone > Jack Johnson

boarderwoozel3
01-21-2008, 09:48 PM
BJORK > JACK JOHNSON

duh

MassiveChemicalPunk
I think Paul T. knew he was going to get shit for this line up.

Man, for the people who heard the live Press conference, you know he was nervous as hell!!! He sounded like a 16 year old giving a speech in an auditorium.

And you know what made this worse? That the year he reveals the crappiest line up of all coachellas, he has to do it in a FUCKING PRESS CONFERENCE! jajaja. Why he did it? Maybe he really has something up his sleeve...

victor831
this is shit, so fucking sad...

veronikaa
01-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Does Coachella have a Facebook page?

yep

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2391433835

Mr.Wyndham
01-21-2008, 09:54 PM
something big has to happen.

SurLaCarte
01-21-2008, 10:31 PM
They're clearly not panicking. Headlining Jack Johnson was a deliberate marketing decision: count on brand loyalty from long time attendees, while expanding the fan base to people with bad taste in music. Throw in Roger Waters, bring in some classic rock fans.

As someone (probably still) going for my 4th year, the thing that upsets me about this move is that it seems to sacrifice the general feel of the festival for an expanded fan base. I think the reason you're seeing people get so upset is not that the presence of Jack Johnson or Jack Johnson fans will detract from that one hour of the festival where they'll be off seeing someone else. Similarly with Roger Waters (I think a lot of the people hesitant about him headlining still kind of want to see him). The concern is that there's a shift in branding that will destroy the feel that makes Coachella unique compared to the "little bit of everything" feel of something like Lollapalooza (which I also go to regularly, just saying, it's a different festival by design). It could backfire on them long term, but as long as demand for indie-ish music festivals is on the rise and GV pretty has a monopoly on festivals of its kind in SoCal, this is a smart economic decision that the long time fans have every right to be a bit concerned about.

That said, Coachella is still doing an excellent job with two of the things that make them stand out among festivals:

1) Electronic acts
2) Reunions/Vets (in fact, this year seems to be particularly heavy on vets: Verve, Breeders, Madness, Portisehead, Kraftwerk, Malkmus (sort of), Roger Waters, Love and Rockets, Spiritualized...it's just that most of us can't say we know ALL of these acts well, so some of the excitement isn't there at this moment...hopefully, after a few listens, it will come)

So, hey, let's hope the upside is that its an opportunity for Jack Johnson fans figure out what they're missing too.

miseducation
01-21-2008, 11:22 PM
So, hey, let's hope the upside is that its an opportunity for Jack Johnson fans figure out what they're missing too.

Wow, that's the kindest thing I've read today. You've got a heart of gold, good sir.

dontfeedthebird
01-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Portishead > pretty much anyone else.

JSam67
01-21-2008, 11:33 PM
I think they're in talks (or already have signed) someone big for Friday night. Maybe he's got someone like MBV up his sleeve, because it takes serious balls to do the following:

A) Open another festival on the other coast w/the headliner most of us wanted
2) Avoid a presale
X) Up ticket and camping prices when 2 non-headliners (and easy here, cuz I love Portishead, but I think most of us agree they're more sub-headliner material) are "headlining" the first 2 days of the festival

I think something's gotta give, and it's gotta be a massive add and maybe even 1-3 legitimate bands like Band of Horses. I mean, if you proposed Jack Johnson was headlining in the recent weeks, you would've been flamed hardcore. Now I resent being flamed for saying Muse can headline. I refuse to believe that certain bands can't headline after this year.

Amneeziac
01-21-2008, 11:36 PM
The two Jacks cancel each other out on Friday. Just deal.

GV isn't panicking at all, a couple hundred people upset with a headliner on a message board is not going to bring down a whole enterprise. Just so you know.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-21-2008, 11:38 PM
The two Jacks cancel each other out on Friday. Just deal.

GV isn't panicking at all, a couple hundred people upset with a headliner on a message board is not going to bring down a whole enterprise. Just so you know.

Do you really think its only a couple of hundreds? have u seen coachellas my space? or the coachella facebook page?

Giving a rough average, 7 out of 10 people think the line up sucks

orbit
01-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Yeah, it's not only about people upset on a message board. There are a lot more out there.

fsm10
01-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Do you really think its only a couple of hundreds? have u seen coachellas my space? or the coachella facebook page?

According to the poll I posted, with a little more than 200 responses so far, 80% don't like this year's headliners.

Amneeziac
01-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Not liking headliners and not liking the lineup are two different things. People hear the headliners and are turned off, without giving the full lineup any real consideration.

People will go, no worries.

microcuts
01-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Give it a few days and most people will probably come around. Certainly sitting down and actually researching some of the bands on the lineup would accomplish that. This is a solid lineup that focuses more on the undercard.

tyles
01-21-2008, 11:58 PM

Given that roughly every other person on their 2008 line up suggestion blog posted bands that had either a) already played in 2007 and b) listed non-Coachella-esque bands or their own crappy bands, it says a lot about many of the myspace "friends'" ability to read, not to mention some dubious musical taste. Afterall, thanks to myspace, we're suppose to care who Tila Tequilla is and what crappy stuff that everyone's friend Tom wants us to buy.

Seriously, if you don't like the line up, no one is pointing a gun at you and forcing you to go.

noisemachine
01-21-2008, 11:58 PM
People are disappointed with the lineup every year because they have ridiculously, unreasonably high expectations. They tell themselves that the Smiths or Talking Heads or Pink Floyd are gonna reunite to play Coachella, and thats just not something you should expect.

Also, I know Jack Johnson isn't the greatest headliner, but do you people realize that there will probably be 3 or 4 other acts playing at the same time, and those people will probably be very good? Headliners aren't everything.

One more thing, I am surprised by people wanting Portishead, but not as a headliner. Serious? Do you realize that headliner = longer set? Just sayin'.

luckyface
01-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Also, I know Jack Johnson isn't the greatest headliner, but do you people realize that there will probably be 3 or 4 other acts playing at the same time, and those people will probably be very good? Headliners aren't everything.

You are probably looking at a (crowded) Fatboy Slim performance during his set. That sounds pretty good, right?

kaeso
01-22-2008, 12:15 AM
I think they're in talks (or already have signed) someone big for Friday night. Maybe he's got someone like MBV up his sleeve, because it takes serious balls to do the following:

A) Open another festival on the other coast w/the headliner most of us wanted
2) Avoid a presale
X) Up ticket and camping prices when 2 non-headliners (and easy here, cuz I love Portishead, but I think most of us agree they're more sub-headliner material) are "headlining" the first 2 days of the festival

it's a decent bet, this smells something like a marketing/publicity move...weak headliners (although I love portishead and have definite interest in Roger Waters) and 3 day passes at 270$ when single day tickets are 90$ anyway almost make it seem like gv is trying to irritate people. I feel like the line up is pretty solid otherwise but the headliners are what get media attention. A big add after this set up would make for good publicity.

miseducation
01-22-2008, 12:17 AM
I've noticed that only the real board "die-hards" can really be said to have truly come around and learned to love the line-up thus far. Shit, they're even trying to spin this like a presidential election, saying that people have always complained about the lineup when it comes out.

Not like this.

I mean, while Jack Johnson Day may be stacked with my favorite 3rd and 4th line performers of any Coachella thus far - I don't think anyone can say this is what the wanted or expected.

All of our speculating and guessing and wishing for Boards of Canada, David Bowie, Prince, Led Zeppelin, My Bloody Valentine, Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Basement Jaxx, R.E.M, Prodigy, Asobi Seksu (maybe that's just one guy's wish but he did ask nicely) seem to have gone unanswered.

I'm not saying they didn't try, I'm sure GV had good intentions - but it just didn't pan out in the end.

You can convince yourself it isn't underwhelming, but it is. You can convince yourself it isn't a step down, but it is.

Even bo-dunk Langerado in the middle of the fucking nowhere out headliners this Coachella thus far.

microcuts
01-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Boards of Canada will never, ever, ever play Coachella, and I feel sorry for anyone who wastes their time and energy thinking otherwise.

orbit
01-22-2008, 12:29 AM
They'll play in 2010.

Ritestyl
01-22-2008, 12:34 AM
they'll play the same year lemon jelly does

Ritestyl
01-22-2008, 12:37 AM
seriously GV...
All Points West = Radiohead, Daft Punk, Kanye, Boards of Canada, Lemon Jelly, Aphex Twin, Chemical Brothers, LCD Soundsystem... get on it. now

zikade
01-22-2008, 12:43 AM
There's always been a contingent that turns their backs on Coachella every year (Coldplay sucks! Tool sucks! Rage sucks!) but if anyone thinks those times are even COMPARABLE to what's happening now you're deluding yourselves.

All the music sites I've looked at that have mentioned Coachella (pitchfork, brooklynvegan, stereogum, idolator, etc) have either directly said that the lineup was underwhelming or have had a TON of people commenting saying that they were planning on going "regardless" but now that they've seen the lineup, have canceled their hotel.

Seriously, it's not just a couple people. The lineup isn't great, and that's not even comparing it to the "dream" lineup people had in their heads (MBV, RH, BOC). It's like every band on there is a replacement for something better. Raconteurs instead of White Stripes. Roger Waters instead of Pink Floyd. ANYONE instead of Aphex Twin. Jack Johnson instead of ANYONE.

I'll give them a month and if no one great is added (it would take, like, THREE high draw, second row bands to draw me in at this point) I'm cancelling my hotel and using the money to go to Bonna or Lolla (or APW, if it's sucked all the talent of GV which is likely).

TickleMeElmo
01-22-2008, 12:51 AM
I feel like I'm going to Coachella this year no matter what, it's still strong enough for me but I'll also go to whichever festival takes the biggest shit on Coachella this year. Headliners given, it won't be hard for another festival to steal Coachella's thunder.

jokerfit
01-22-2008, 12:55 AM

ohh give me a fucking break

of course people dont like rage.

but jack

ohh you know his cult following his huge!

last year
arcade fire, arctic monkeys, Chili peppers, interpol

those names are huge and good live

not really seeing any names this year as those above.

Cpt. Funkaho
01-22-2008, 01:03 AM
ohh give me a fucking break

of course people dont like rage.

but jack

ohh you know his cult following his huge!

last year
arcade fire, arctic monkeys, Chili peppers, interpol

those names are huge and good live

not really seeing any names this year as those above.

Are you high?

I'm not asking because I disagree with what you're saying... I'm asking because I have no idea what you're saying.

xxxxxxxxxx
01-22-2008, 01:05 AM
I think GV will wait 'til tickets go on sale before they panic.

BettySpaghetti
01-22-2008, 01:09 AM
I've been anticipating the lineup each year for 5 years running now, and every year I thought it was solid, but this year, it's just shit. They seriously dropped the ball.

And to all the people getting pissed at the dissenters for focusing on Jack Johnson, you need to realize that with the money they spent on Jack Johnson they could've gotten someone better. Even if it was sub-headliner material, ANYTHING but Jack Johnson.

)|( Senjikyru )|(
01-22-2008, 01:11 AM
I read most of this then just gave up.

Reason... I dont think its GV with the panic, its the people that dont know the performers on the poster.

To bring some hope to those people though, remembertwo things...

1. East Coast Coachella in the works so that had to cut into the funding for performers...

2. Next year is Coachellas 10 year anniversary, so Im surethey have something HUGE planned for that which they are saving funds for.

Just do us all one of two things.

Research -> Attend -> Enjoy

or

Whine -> Stay Home -> Flame

Besides who needs Coachella when there is always the Vans Warped Tour right?

BettySpaghetti
01-22-2008, 01:14 AM

Reason... I dont think its GV with the panic, its the people that dont know the performers on the poster.

1. East Coast Coachella in the works so that had to cut into the funding for performers...

2. Next year is Coachellas 10 year anniversary, so Im surethey have something HUGE planned for that which they are saving funds for.

or

Mostly everyone here knows those bands you goon. They're just not enough to get us to spend 400+ to sweat our black asses off.

SEEDYMIG420
01-22-2008, 01:33 AM

or

Vans Warped Tour???? I want you to meet me infront of the main gate this year.......Why??? So I can beat the shit out of you!!! How old are you? Are you still in grade school? You probably a Jack Johnson fan.

JSam67
01-22-2008, 01:38 AM
Vans Warped Tour???? I want you to meet me infront of the main gate this year.......Why??? So I can beat the shit out of you!!! How old are you? Are you still in grade school? You probably a Jack Johnson fan.

Must...work...on...comprehension...of...sarcasm...

)|( Senjikyru )|(
01-22-2008, 01:44 AM
Must...work...on...comprehension...of...sarcasm...

Yes obviously sarcasm.
Good to see some were able to understand that.

bullokz
01-22-2008, 04:26 AM
Even the diehard Coachellans are deeply disappointed. This is the worst!

fiopadp7791
01-22-2008, 04:40 AM
I'll admit to not knowing all of the lesser-known acts. It's part of what makes Coachella fun is discovering some of them. BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT SELLS TICKETS. THE HEADLINERS DO. And I agree with most in here, these headliners don't deliver. You can't be serious if you think that Jack Johnson and Roger Waters get people as excited as The Chili Peppers and Rage. Or Daft and Tool. Be realisitic here.

The one thing to be optimistic about. After the first official announcement of who was playing Coachella '06, Madonna, Kanye West and Massive Attack were all added after. We can only hope they add some comparable muscle to this year's lineup as well.

M Sparks
01-22-2008, 04:43 AM
I reckon sunday will see out pretty quickly with all the old fuckers who are all nostalgic because they get to here some floyd.

Yeah, but he just got done touring arenas with that show.

I don't know, I really kind of wonder if people who think this is an effort to deter scalpers are right. There are 10-20,000 who will go buy 3-days no matter what. Then, they'll sell a bunch of 1-days to Floyd fans, Portishead fans, and people who think Jimmy Buffet is too edgy.

I think we could be looking at double-headliner situations- six medium-big names rather than 3 huge ones. Once they see which days are selling better/worse, they can figure out who's playing when.

I really think that if Jack was the second name on the list instead of the first, there wouldn't be near as much complaining. For me, those second and third lines look pretty good every day. And I never know much about the lower lines until I do some research, so I can't judge.

coldstart
01-22-2008, 04:44 AM
It's like the global warming debate. You can keep denying that it's happening but regardless, it is.

scoop49er
01-22-2008, 04:55 AM
it is amazing what one name can do to a lineup. if jj name was removed and u put no replacement. u just leave as is. does it look better?

coldstart
01-22-2008, 04:59 AM
I think most people would say "yes". :P At least Jack Johnson wouldn't be playing.

scoop49er
01-22-2008, 05:01 AM
I respect the people on this board a lot and u have every rite to feel as u do. coachella obviously is gonna have to add a name to friday. so in a way I'm glad people are expressing themselves cuz if coachella does not listen then this will be the year that coachella will lose some of its .mojo and in a disappointing way

trentmorrison
01-22-2008, 05:01 AM
There's always been a contingent that turns their backs on Coachella every year (Coldplay sucks! Tool sucks! Rage sucks!) but if anyone thinks those times are even COMPARABLE to what's happening now you're deluding yourselves.

All the music sites I've looked at that have mentioned Coachella (pitchfork, brooklynvegan, stereogum, idolator, etc) have either directly said that the lineup was underwhelming or have had a TON of people commenting saying that they were planning on going "regardless" but now that they've seen the lineup, have canceled their hotel.

Seriously, it's not just a couple people. The lineup isn't great, and that's not even comparing it to the "dream" lineup people had in their heads (MBV, RH, BOC). It's like every band on there is a replacement for something better. Raconteurs instead of White Stripes. Roger Waters instead of Pink Floyd. ANYONE instead of Aphex Twin. Jack Johnson instead of ANYONE.

I'll give them a month and if no one great is added (it would take, like, THREE high draw, second row bands to draw me in at this point) I'm cancelling my hotel and using the money to go to Bonna or Lolla (or APW, if it's sucked all the talent of GV which is likely).

NME dosent even say Jack Johnson is a headliner, the list him in the middle of the list like he is just one of the other bands, its funny

M Sparks
01-22-2008, 05:10 AM
it is amazing what one name can do to a lineup. if jj name was removed and u put no replacement. u just leave as is. does it look better?

Exactly. It's psychological. If The Verve was on top, people would just be saying "Wow, these headliners are a little weak."

Who cares who's on the top line? Are you gonna get your $90 worth each day? For me, if an extra $500 dropped in my lap by this weekend, we'd be going. I'm still weighing the pros and cons.

insbordnat
01-22-2008, 05:18 AM
I'm really curious how many people would actually go see a headliner if one was added. For example, let's say the Bjork came back. And she was playing the same time as Justice. I for one would still be at Justice.

I can't say I feel like I got more of my money's worth - I would have seen the same people regardless.

GnarVee
01-22-2008, 05:27 AM
THEY BETTER BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CONVINCED SOOOOOOO MANY OF MY FRIENDS TO GO........AND NOW THEIR LAUGHING IN MY FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!! CMON GV UR BETTER TAN THAT!!!!!!!!!

microlovebeat
01-22-2008, 05:54 AM
I respect the people on this board a lot and u have every rite to feel as u do. coachella obviously is gonna have to add a name to friday. so in a way I'm glad people are expressing themselves cuz if coachella does not listen then this will be the year that coachella will lose some of its .mojo and in a disappointing way

haha you're a total fucking hypocrite, asshole. your positive vibes/heartbreaking denial is driving me nuts. first you were ripping me a new one because i expressed my opinion about the weak lineup. now you're welcoming everyone's opinions, and even sharing them!

you're a dickhead.

Memorial_07
01-22-2008, 05:57 AM
Why has everyone said '05 was bad?
It was great.

Nine Inch Nails, New Order, Prodigy, Gang Of Four and more?
It would've been better if Cocteau Twins played though.

clincher
01-22-2008, 06:14 AM
yeah the backlash from the blogs (brooklyn vegan, pitchfork, etc) has been very negative. That's a problem for GV. This is their opportunity to make a splash and they didn't do it.

I also think that GV has to be careful not to lose it's edge as a "groundbreaking" "premier" festival. We all know that the festival experience isn't the same but Lolla and the Roo have had, in my opinion, superior talent the last couple of years. The market's getting tougher...I'd hate to see the Coachella brand damaged. I usually don't care at all about headliners but JJ is just plain embarrassing. It's going to be hard to sell more of my friends on spending the $1000 plus it takes for us to make the trek out from the east coast.

DHARMA2112
01-22-2008, 06:21 AM

But it's not just about ONE man. The line up as a whole is so sub-par compared to past Coachellas.

kreutz2112
01-22-2008, 06:23 AM
no it's not.

AbundantChoice
01-22-2008, 06:25 AM
also, remember that people who post on the message board is an *extremely* small subsection of people who will actually attend. Heck, "people who read snarky music blogs" is *also* an extremely small subsection of people who attend.

So yes, online reaction on the board and in the music blogosphere may be critical. It doesn't really matter all that much when it comes to attendance.

amyzzz
01-22-2008, 06:26 AM
Yeah it is.

kreutz2112
01-22-2008, 06:28 AM
shut your face.

Edit: are you going?

Death
01-22-2008, 09:33 AM
I could be reading too much into this, but Tollett was certainly careful not to specifically say the word headliners when referencing bands that would play. At one point he also stated that the bands he was listing weren't set in stone to a certain day. It would seem unreasonable, as others have stated, to increase ticket prices and not have a pres-sale unless you were planning on making a substantial addition. It is a bit of a stretch to imply the east coast concert was more of a concern to GV than putting on a comparable show to years past.

JustSteve
01-22-2008, 10:15 AM

and if bonnaroo or lolla have line-ups that are disappointing to you? what are you going to do then???