PDA

View Full Version : My take on the lineup/Marketting

Damienriceroni
01-21-2008, 10:16 PM
This will be my first year and I'll be there for 3 days, but honestly I would prefer last year. For the sake of the marketing I find this lineup somewhat flawed unless some adjustment happens. Sure the acts are good even if some of them are an acquired taste or of a more narrow crowd, but how about the drawing power?

Jack Johnson - Completely average
Portishead - I've never met anyone who knows of 'em but I know their select fanbase is pretty powerful...Which is why they're here reunited?
Waters - Monumental for who he is, but believe it or not, I've met a lot of people who don't know who he is.. Until you say "That Pink Floyd guy"
The Verve - A decent band but again, not too widely heard of from what I know
Raconteurs - "They're not the White Stripes"

My point isnt the quality of the lineup it's the spirit of marketing. It was the downfall of Lolla 2004; I honestly believe there needs to be a more sincere balance of draw and indie. Maybe it's an idea that it's financially foolish or it's me being stubborn for not knowing much of the lineup, but I'm just underwhelmed by the shortage of big names.

But on the flip-side, I'll be stoked for.. Roger Waters, Death Cab, Stars, Streets, Cold War Kids, the National, Minus the Bear, Fatboy, The Verve, Portishead

As for who could be announced before the actual festival...Well predicting has become exhausting. Who I'd want I guess I could say The Stills, Explosions in the Sky, Nada Surf, Jimmy Eat World, Eluvium, Mogwai, etc. If they get another big named headliner I'd be so freakin' stoked for Muse.

..But until then hooray for researching new bands. It'll be a great opportunity to get into some bands on the lineup I haven't heard so I can enjoy their sets more.

devon
01-21-2008, 10:20 PM
most of the fun is in listening to what all the small bands have and finding new bands that you love dude.

merznerve
01-21-2008, 10:22 PM
sincere balance of draw and indie? what the hell does that mean?

DHARMA2112
01-21-2008, 10:23 PM
LOL ^^^^

Shame on you for anticipating Roger Waters performance. He is so mediocre now, it's quite shameful.

TickleMeElmo
01-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Meaning if Coachella was 100% indie, it wouldn't be as successful. Fact.

Damienriceroni
01-21-2008, 10:32 PM
sincere balance of draw and indie? what the hell does that mean?

Good drawing bands (I.E. Bands that are commercially successful) are important for pulling in a large quantity of fans. It's completely lucrative and appeals to a diverse group of people just for the fact that they've been exposed to the band and will pay to be there.

Good indie bands (Not by the strict defnition of "indie", but bands less popular) are important for developing the band's popularity, pleasing select fans, and flatly exploiting the band's facets for a good show.

These two classifications should be used in a moderated balance of drafting the lineup.

Damienriceroni
01-21-2008, 10:33 PM
LOL ^^^^

Shame on you for having an interest different than mine

modified.