PDA

View Full Version : regardless of this "at least it will be less crowded" nonsense

bonerfromgrowingpains
01-21-2008, 10:05 PM
coachella will still sell out of tickets...not as quickly as last year, but it will happen. its too popular of a festival now. its inevitable. but you have to think of it as a good thing. im not sure that all of the people on this board that are complaining are aware of the great lengths that the goldenvoice staff goes through to produce an event of this magnitude. so people are acting all tough and pissed-off writing "boycott" and all of this bullshit...dont go, big deal...but imagine if there were no coachella...then what? bonnaroo? a dust filled, copy-cat festival in the middle of tennessee? coachella is not just about the headliners, its about a shit load of great music, good people, at a beautiful place in southern california, that i basically spend my whole year looking forward to. ive been to every one since 1999, and i will agree that this line up is sub par. i loathe jack johnson just as much as you. but guess what, i will be watching someone else when he is playing. there are ninety plus days until april 25, and in those days, more bands will be added. mark 'em...my prediction being that something rather huge is in the making. anyone remember 2006?

ps...to all the kids bitching...i hope you guys really dont go, because you obviously dont know what its all about

TickleMeElmo
01-21-2008, 10:15 PM
I completely disagree. Don't get me wrong, I love this lineup, but it won't sell out... AT ALL! If anything, this year's fest will have the worst sales in its history. I don't think you realize how many people hate this lineup. It seems like a majority of people don't like it and I'm not basing that off of people here on the board. Most people are attracted to the big names at festivals, hence why they are in a bigger font on the front page. Admit it, those big names are weak this year, as weak as ever and that's gonna take a blow at sales. Man, I didn't think the reaction was gonna be this bad until now. I can't fucking find ANYBODY to go with me. I hate to say this, but I could see this turning into Lollapalooza 2004. It's not really the lineup that's bad, its the reaction. So I guess I could say I'm pissed at the reaction of it AND I'm pissed at Goldenvoice, cause I have a feeling the reason why the headliners are so weak is because they are putting way too much attention on their new festival in an attempt to crush their competition, which is a bit greedy.

depechemodekraftwerk
01-21-2008, 10:30 PM
SOMEBODY is on the PAYROLL..GUESS WHO???? gv voice and all the time they take to add JACK JOHNSON,ROGER WATERS??? asd headliners and portishead..

SOMEBODY WAS SLEEP AT THE WHEEL.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Yeah, they have totally fucked up. This was (still don't know) going to be my 1st coachella ever. I have to spend around $2000 to go with my wife, and they give me this.... I mean, it's decent at BEST. I had a couple of friends excited about the festival, but now they bailed on me. My wife is not to sure if she wants to go anymore after seeing the line up (im more into music than she is). Im really sad. I had a whole trip planned around this and now it seems i'm going to have to plan it for August (around NewChella, Lolla and VFest). I really wanted to go to the desert and sweat my ass off. I'm still crossing my fingers for an awesome add.

bonerfromgrowingpains
01-21-2008, 10:37 PM
I completely disagree. Don't get me wrong, I love this lineup, but it won't sell out... AT ALL! If anything, this year's fest will have the worst sales in its history. I don't think you realize how many people hate this lineup. It seems like a majority of people don't like it and I'm not basing that off of people here on the board. Most people are attracted to the big names at festivals, hence why they are in a bigger font on the front page. Admit it, those big names are weak this year, as weak as ever and that's gonna take a blow at sales. Man, I didn't think the reaction was gonna be this bad until now. I can't fucking find ANYBODY to go with me. I hate to say this, but I could see this turning into Lollapalooza 2004. It's not really the lineup that's bad, its the reaction. So I guess I could say I'm pissed at the reaction of it AND I'm pissed at Goldenvoice, cause I have a feeling the reason why the headliners are so weak is because they are putting way too much attention on their new festival in an attempt to crush their competition, which is a bit greedy.

sure, i totally agree with your entire post. im a huge portishead fan, but i dont feel like they are headliner worthy. im a huge waters/floyd fan, but sadly i feel like a lot of people are too young to know whats up with that. my point with the thread was im not at all stoked with the headliners, but im still going. you are not thrilled either, but you say you are still going. i think that most of the haters will still go. i think that the popularity of coachella sells itself now. its a proven theory. as far as the east coast festival, they kinda HAD to hold out with the big guns. they had to have something fantastic to sell to people. its probably going to rival coachella 2004. (im not bitter because i live in NYC) however, i wouldnt be pissed off at goldenvoice, they will add bands...

Geebs3906
01-21-2008, 10:39 PM
You said "remember 2006"...who did they add that was big?

Actually a better question would be: Who have they added during any of the years after the original lineup?

I'm just curious, not trying to sound like a dick.

I'm pretty sure they added nobody for last year's, but I could be wrong...

kiely
01-21-2008, 10:41 PM
They added Of Montreal last year after like a week.
Not that that is supposed to lift your spirits or anything.

kroqken
01-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Geez people! Let's see you put on a festival of this magnitude. Goldenvoice is not stupid. I am sure they have asked some of the bands you want to see play that didn't to play. However, maybe the money was not right, or the band is in the studio or the band wants to tour on its own. Many bands will turn Goldenvoice down. However, after all of the refusals and bands that could not come to terms, at least GV was able to get a decent amount of quality bands to still play. I AM excited about Portishead, the Verve, Madness and some of the newer bands like Vampire Weekend and Autolux. Believe me, when Coachella 2008 comes around, it will still be very crowded, even if it does not officially sell out. The experiecne of Coaachella alone is worth it, even if some of the bands are not my favorite.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-21-2008, 10:43 PM
in 2006 they added DAFT PUNK, which was the best act that year.

I think that year they also added Kanye or Madonna. dont remember

TickleMeElmo
01-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Massive Attack.

Geebs3906
01-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Oh 2006 was sorta a big deal then. Maybe it'll happen again! Optimism people! (Although realism might actualy be the right route...)

arya.

both actually lol.

gmoneyak
They added Of Montreal last year after like a week.
Not that that is supposed to lift your spirits or anything.

Soulwax was a good late add..

bonerfromgrowingpains
01-21-2008, 10:45 PM

Actually a better question would be: Who have they added during any of the years after the original lineup?

daft punk was added...
kanye was added...
madonna was added...
massive attack was added...
they add bands every year after the lineup is announced.

algunz
01-21-2008, 10:47 PM

Yes, yes, and yes - there is still hope.

Geebs3906
01-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Wow, so 2006 totally added huge names to a 2 day concert...so there's hope

algunz
01-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Actually was Daft added? I don't remember exactly. I know for sure that Kanye and Madonna were though.

Keep the dream alive.

merznerve
01-21-2008, 10:55 PM

madonna and daft punk were added shortly i believe and then kanye west much later.

bonerfromgrowingpains
01-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Actually was Daft added? I don't remember exactly. I know for sure that Kanye and Madonna were though.

Keep the dream alive.

yeah they were...it was dependent upon the pyramid being completed. (keep the dream alive...i tend to say that when its totally inappropriate)