PDA

View Full Version : Coachella Apologists (like myself)...

Carlo Von Sexron
01-21-2008, 08:28 PM
This will be Coachella #5 for me. Every year the lineup comes out I'm either psyched because I love the lineup from the get-go, or I'm optimistic because there's already some bands I like along with some bands I look forward to getting into.
So I guess you could say I always look at Coachella as being "glass half-full (or just straight full)". Basically a Coachella apologist. I support the fest no matter what, and I know many others feel this way.

But this year...really? Seriously? And I'm not just looking at it from my musical taste point-of-view. I'm looking at it as a whole. I'm certainly disappointed and my friends, who are more into electronic music while I love rock, are disappointed to. It seems all genres are being shorted this year.

So I just want to gauge others' opinions...All veteran, glass half-full, Coachella apologists...what do you guys really think of this lineup as a whole?
The fact that I've painfully spent more than one second (a good hour actually) pondering not going let's you know how I feel.

kreutz2112
01-21-2008, 08:29 PM
I like it. It's going to be less crowded.

faxman75
My favorite so far! Love the lineup!

Carlo Von Sexron
I'd also like to add that I understand that the east coast festival must be hurting Coachella this year. I posted this in another thread, but I'll put it here too.

"Coachella is an established music festival. Tens of thousands of people are going to go every year (even this year...) regardless of who plays.

But now that there is a festival starting up in NYC...you gotta pull out the big guns for that. They want to be on the map after year ONE of that festival, not take several years to build up like Coachella did. Why blow your load on Coachella when you need to make a splash in the Big Apple? This lineup wouldn't fly for a first time fest in NYC, but it's still going to be OK for Coachella.
That's why Jerseychella is going to get Radiohead and god (or Paul T) only knows who else. It's going to be a ridiculous lineup for that festival, though. I'm jealous already."

rkawar
01-21-2008, 08:31 PM
look at it this way, the lineup is awesome for 2 reasons. if there's no bands you're absolutely in love with, there's no serious conflicts. you get time to relax and not worry about running from tool to scissor sisters

also why wouldnt you want an opportunity to indulge in some awesome new music?

sesamesteve
The line up is good with me. I'm not crazy over the bigger acts, except for My Morning Jacket, but I love the smaller bands and it's gonna be great, as it always is.

shoegazer76
I like it. It's going to be less crowded.

yes it is

kreutz2112
If APW gets MBV, BoC, or Aphex Twin...I will puke on my computer.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-21-2008, 08:32 PM
I was disappointed at first. REALLY disappointed. Now, im learning to cope with it.

I'm trying to learn about new bands in the line up.

And i'm also very optimistic on a good update for the line up. I know there has to be something more to this.

uniform72
01-21-2008, 08:32 PM
It's going to be less crowded.

Sure seems that way, huh?

jonnypark
01-21-2008, 08:33 PM
I really like the line up with the exception of the shit stain Jack Johnson headlining

mountmccabe
01-21-2008, 08:33 PM
I was blown away by last year. This year has some amazing stuff that I'm really psyched to see - Les Savy Fav & Spiritualized, to start - but overall it seems a little down. This happens. But I had the same thoughts in 2003 and 2005 and those years turned out great.

And in the past I've always gotten more excited about the lineup as the months progress.

There are a lot of bands on the post I haven't heard. I've spent some time watching the YouTubes compiled on the main news site (http://www.coachella.com/updates/news/Get%20to%20know%20Coachella%202008) and I've already found a few artists I need to look further into.

This is how the cycle goes.

aiduh
01-21-2008, 08:34 PM
half the excitement is running from one stage to the next.

kiely
01-21-2008, 08:35 PM
I'll go to Coachella no matter what, but I really don't see a WHOLE lot wrong with this line up. The headliners are a bit of a disappointment (mostly Jack Johnson at the top of the poster), but I think the filler is quite alright if not good. I'm psyched, personally.

scoop49er
01-21-2008, 08:37 PM
ive already started downloading and loving the lower tier bands! sorry JJ. just cant get into it. sounds like lame fancy boy elementary music!! brutal!!

jtovar21
01-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah, this will be my 8th Coachella, and I am really satisfied with the lineup. I can care less about who headlines really, because to be honest, I've never gone to Coachella based on the headliners themselves. In fact, theres only like 3 "full" headlining sets I have actually caught since going in 2001.

I have a feeling that when all said and done, people are going to look at the lower and mid tiers of this lineup and really appreciate the great acts in it.

And, I am all for, the less KROQ Frat BOYS that tend to take over sometimes.

stard00
01-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Men, i dont know what to think, maybe this is just a bad dream

(Edit) i'll just sleep this night and see the line up tomorrow, maybe i am missing something important

good night to everyone

KatieLyn
01-21-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm pretty pleased.

I went into this beforehand knowing that we were gonna get some bad stuff, but also knowing that i'd be satisfied.

I got my:
Death Cab for Cutie
Portishead
Rilo Kiley
Tegan and Sarah
Flogging Molly
Madness
The Streets
Metric
Animal Collective
MIA
Justice,
and then many bands that I'm going to look into and listen to as I wait for the show date to draw near.

PLUS, I go to coachella not only for the music, but for the experience itself.

So I'm pleased =]

veronikaa
01-21-2008, 08:54 PM
This year's lineup TOTALLY SUCKS

period

pandaroo
01-21-2008, 08:59 PM
look at it this way, the lineup is awesome for 2 reasons. if there's no bands you're absolutely in love with, there's no serious conflicts. you get time to relax and not worry about running from tool to scissor sisters

also why wouldnt you want an opportunity to indulge in some awesome new music?

Well, because there are less acts I want to see will make one conflict devastating!

whynotsmile99
01-21-2008, 09:01 PM
in 2006 and 2007 there were a ton of bands that off the bat i knew i wanted to see. I studied the set times, mapped out my plan.

and you know what? after a while I let it go. I tend to just drift and i end up where i end up. sometimes it depends on how im feeling, if im tired or hungry or energized or excited or I meet a cute girl or whatever. I certainly had no plan to see Nightwatchman or Peeping Tom or Carl Cox and the latter two were my highlights.

There are certainly some major league acts missing. I was reLally hoping for Chems/underworld Prodigy/Jamiraqui/or even Kylie. would have loved to have seen Nick Cave among many others.

but it is what it is and i'm sure i will have a great time. I wanted to see Rogers but didn't want to shell out 70 bucks to see him at the bowl. I think he'll be an awesome headliner. Portishead will be awesome, as will My Morning Jacket who I never got the chance to see. Fatboy Slim i always hear good things about. Flogging MOlly is one of my favorite bands and they are always great. Gogol Bordello and Hot Chip I missed last year so Im happy they are back. Murs is great as well

Just this, mixed in with the random stuff you discover at Coachella should put it in the positive area for me. I am upset about the lack of presale and increase in ticket prices. that wasn't nice.

I like Jack Johnson and wanted to see him, but he'll have heavy competition. I think id rather wait to see him on his own. I friggin hate the Verve though. Actually, ive only heard Bittersweet Symphony. I just hate that song so much I wouldn't listen to anything else by em.

so yea, i'll probably still be there and it will be a blast

bands I want to see or am interested in off the bat:

Jack Johnson
Breeders
Fatboy Slim
Lucky I am
The National

ugh, friday really is weak

Portishead
Krafterk,
Cafe Tacuba
Sasha and Digweed
Rilo Kiley
Hot Chip
Flogging Molly
Roger waters
My Morning Jacket
Spirtiualized
Justice
Gogol Bordello
Chromeo
Simian Mobile Disco
Man Man
Murs
Sia
i'm from barcelona (theres 29 members ?!!?)

Gyrus
01-21-2008, 09:12 PM
yeah lineup isnt nearly as close to being as good as last year, though I'm still pretty stoked to see...

Midnight Juggernauts
Cut Copy
Justice
Sebastian
Kavinsky
Junkie XL
James Zabiela
Fatboy Slim
Breeders
Pendulum
Adam Freeland
Spank Rock
Para One
Kraftwerk
Booka Shade
Dimitri From Paris
The Streets
Chromeo
and
Danny Tenaglia

I'll be in the Sahara tent the whole time getting loose.

Certainly think I need to do some investigating into the 75% of these bands I've never heard of, undecided for now

Some floydage will be good though....

roberto73
01-21-2008, 09:13 PM
I wrote this in another of the many "What do you think of the lineup?" threads, but there are already at least fifteen bands each day I want to see, and I have yet to do research into a few of the artists I'm not familiar with.

On first glance, I'll agree that the lineup doesn't look as strong as in previous years. I'm convinced, though, that a lot of this has to do with my expectations. There are many bands that I absolutely thought would be there that aren't. But now, looking at my extensive "must see" lists, I'm not disappointed at all.

The weekend will be as amazing as it always is For people who don't know many of the bands, do a little research and the quality of the lineup will be revealed.

fober
01-21-2008, 09:15 PM
I sure as hell hope it's not going to be crowded!

theripped
01-21-2008, 09:23 PM
I will probably go to friday only, Fatboy The Raconteurs, Sharon Jones, and Animal Collective are on my "to see" list.

Excuse me for being naive, but who the fuck is Portishead? I havent heard of them until 2 days ago. I looked up their stuff on Itunes, and saw nothing really to be excited about. Not much energy or...anything in their music. What is it about Portishead that makes them a headliner?

Agent Orange
01-21-2008, 09:32 PM
This would have been year number 5 for me but i'm not sure at this point! I'm definitely not blown away by the line up but I can't see myself 'not' going this year!

Current mood: torn!!!! :/

ladadata
01-21-2008, 09:34 PM
i could have shat a better lineup!

gmoneyak
01-21-2008, 09:43 PM
I wrote this in another of the many "What do you think of the lineup?" threads, but there are already at least fifteen bands each day I want to see, and I have yet to do research into a few of the artists I'm not familiar with.

On first glance, I'll agree that the lineup doesn't look as strong as in previous years. I'm convinced, though, that a lot of this has to do with my expectations. There are many bands that I absolutely thought would be there that aren't. But now, looking at my extensive "must see" lists, I'm not disappointed at all.

The weekend will be as amazing as it always is For people who don't know many of the bands, do a little research and the quality of the lineup will be revealed.

My thoughts exactly ...

I'm finally getting to see some bands I've been missing the last few years, (Metric, Les Savy Fav, The Black Lips)...Some ones I just discovered, (Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings for example), and others I barely caught last year, (Hot Chip, Justice, Gogol)...

skiptracr
01-21-2008, 09:44 PM
i think i will sit out friday. yes, i am another jj hater, he sounds like what a brown paper bad would sound like if they were music. other than sharon jones, eh. (sorry the verve - MEH. and raconteurs - TWO VERSES THEN A CHORUS IN 'STEADY AS SHE GOES'???!).

i feel overwhelmingly underwhelmed and hope it passes.

instinct
01-21-2008, 09:44 PM
I will probably go to friday only, Fatboy The Raconteurs, Sharon Jones, and Animal Collective are on my "to see" list.

Excuse me for being naive, but who the fuck is Portishead? I havent heard of them until 2 days ago. I looked up their stuff on Itunes, and saw nothing really to be excited about. Not much energy or...anything in their music. What is it about Portishead that makes them a headliner?

You lose. You really don't know who Portishead is?