PDA

View Full Version : Portishead??? WTF?

beartrash
01-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Portishead headlining Saturday makes no sense to me unless it was in a tent.

dekr510
01-21-2008, 08:59 PM
why not?

chiapet
01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Go watch clips from their live shows at Roseland in NYC and then explain to me how you put that in a tent. Not saying that's what they'll do for Coachella. Just saying, don't marginalize them as electronic music.

MassiveChemicalPunk

And Jack Johnson makes sense?

joppy-slow
yeah.. come on people. Portishead as a headliner.. your breakin my ballz... Portishead has released only 2 albums and 1 live album, and that was over 10 years ago.. Now Roger Waters.. yes.. JJ and Portishead = weak shit.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-21-2008, 09:03 PM
I love Portishead, but yep, I think they should have co-headlined to someone bigger. Fuck, even Massive Attack who have 4 fucking albums have co-headlined. But, I think Kraftwerk will close the night now that they are playing Main Stage.

beartrash
01-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Jack Johnson makes even less sense.

Boourns
01-21-2008, 09:04 PM
I expected them to have second billing like Pixies or Massive Attack, but Portishead = best headliner since Radiohead.

rage patton
01-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Portishead are an iffy headliner. But they would have been a solid as hell sub-headliner.
I am still incredibly excited to see them.

beartrash
01-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Go watch clips from their live shows at Roseland in NYC and then explain to me how you put that in a tent. Not saying that's what they'll do for Coachella. Just saying, don't marginalize them as electronic music.

But they are electronic music, I don't have to marginalize them. Plus, if you can put that show on in the Roseland Ballroom you can do it in a tent. They aren't worthy of the top tier spot.

MassiveChemicalPunk
I expected them to have second billing like Pixies or Massive Attack, but Portishead = best headliner since Radiohead.

I bet they are going to put one the best show that desert has seen.

MassiveChemicalPunk
But they are electronic music, I don't have to marginalize them. Plus, if you can put that show on in the Roseland Ballroom you can do it in a tent. They aren't worthy of the top tier spot.

It's TRIP HOP, sir.

kreutz2112
01-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I agree with Boorns. Portishead is a better headliner than Tool, Depeche Mode, Bjork (well...), RHCP and Rage.

JSam67
I don't think they should be headlining, but even so, I think it's the best headliner GV got this year. Waters doing Dark Side will be awesome I'm sure, but if you want to see him, you probably already have. Portishead is a rare, amazing show. But I still don't think they're headliner-worthy. Obviously, JJ isn't worthy. Gotta be some intense adds in the coming weeks.

uniform72

Apparently you don't know that many people that go to the festival.

Somewhat Damaged
All this Portishead hate means it'll be that much easier for me to get closer to the stage than I have for any other headliner.

beartrash
01-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Apparently you don't know that many people that go to the festival.

Really? You honestly think 60,000 people would stick around to see them?

chiapet
01-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Was Massive Attack main stage or tent? I didn't go in 2006. They're more "electronic" than Portishead IMO.

faxman75
01-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Massive Attack was main stage. They were boring in my opinion.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Massive Attack was main stage. They were boring in my opinion.

If you thought Mass Attack was boring, don't watch Portishead then.

kreutz2112
01-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah, massive attack was far from boring. I thought they blew tool's show out of the water and I am a tool fan.

faxman75
01-21-2008, 09:18 PM
If you thought Mass Attack was boring, don't watch Portishead then.

I like Portishead, I don't like massive attack. Is that somehow not possible?

SometimesNJ
01-21-2008, 09:18 PM
how come all you hipsters have been asking for portishead the past few years..and now you get them and all you do is complain. who f*ckin cares man, its gonna be an awesome show regardless of the fact that theyre 'headliners'

kreutz2112
01-21-2008, 09:19 PM
die

airguitarvet
01-21-2008, 09:19 PM
they are the only headliners i care about

RageAgainst
01-21-2008, 09:27 PM
I agree with Boorns. Portishead is a better headliner than Tool, Depeche Mode, Bjork (well...), RHCP and Rage.

REALLY NOW? portishead better that tool,RCHP,RAGE, and depeche mode you my friend are exaggerating a little bit,now i was like ok who is this band so i searched them on youtube listened to the song Roads live in Ny,i dunno its all veery slow and whiny she just is depressing i can think of a million better headliners for saturday night

faxman75
01-21-2008, 09:28 PM
It's all taste people, that's all.

kroqken
01-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Portishead is far a better headliner than 95 percent of the other bands in the world.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-21-2008, 09:29 PM
REALLY NOW? portishead better that tool,RCHP,RAGE, and depeche mode you my friend are exaggerating a little bit,now i was like ok who is this band so i searched them on youtube listened to the song Roads live in Ny,i dunno its all veery slow and whiny she just is depressing i can think of a million better headliners for saturday night

Listen to:

Only You
Cowboys
All Mine
Strangers

really good songs.

gazercmh
01-21-2008, 09:45 PM
i'm totally excited to see portishead but i hope they won't be on the main stage. their stage show and music is better for a more intimate setting. maybe the outdoor theater but preferably one of the tents.

crazzz2007
01-21-2008, 09:50 PM
i'm totally excited to see portishead but i hope they won't be on the main stage. their stage show and music is better for a more intimate setting. maybe the outdoor theater but preferably one of the tents.

WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND ABOUT PORTISHEAD BEING THE HEADLINER??????

Why would the headliner be on any stage other than the Main Stage?

The idiots are out in full force.

asancho
01-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Ive never been a huge Portishead fan, but i just watched the New York Roseland youtube video of thier song "Roads" and i must admit., i got a tingly feeling in my pants. Hopefully theyll live up to thier headliner status...

coldstart
01-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Last year all everyone did was bitch that Portishead wasn't on the bill. This year, GV delivers and everyone bitches because they are too high on the bill.

uniform72
01-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Really? You honestly think 60,000 people would stick around to see them?

I don't really care where they play or how many people stay to see them, it just makes sense for Coachella and I will be in attendance. I actually feel that headlining the Outdoor Stage would have been better.

humanoid
01-29-2008, 12:39 AM
I personally am much more excited about Portishead headlining than I was about Tool, Rage, Depeche Mode, NIN, Bjork, RHCP, Beastie Boys, Coldplay, Oasis, The Cure, Janes Addiction

Rowrrr
01-29-2008, 06:31 AM
I've only ever considered that I might enjoy Portishead if ever I decided to shoot up and kill myself. That being said, I have no plans to ever shoot up in my life, which pretty much rules out enjoying Portishead ever in my life. See how that works?

elChurro
01-29-2008, 07:55 AM
They deserve the stage with the most BASS.

waxybk
01-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Yeah, massive attack was far from boring. I thought they blew tool's show out of the water and I am a tool fan.

Same here. I am a Tool fan. I've also been a Massive Attack fan...but until I finally saw them live, I was pretty blown away. Great show.

microlovebeat
01-29-2008, 08:28 AM
without portishead on the current lineup, i wouldn't have bought my tickets.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-29-2008, 08:32 AM
without portishead on the current lineup, i wouldn't have bought my tickets.

Portishead AND Kraftwerk for me :)

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-29-2008, 08:32 AM
They deserve the stage with the most BASS.

I expect bone shattering bass from the main stage...

Basskitten85
01-29-2008, 08:35 AM
I am excited for PH they are amazing , live shows are fucking awesome !!!! So much better than Jack Johnson, whoever the hell that is.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-29-2008, 08:36 AM
I am excited for PH they are amazing , live shows are fucking awesome !!!! So much better than Jack Johnson, whoever the hell that is.

I heard he is a cross between a turd sandwich and a douche....

nationocean
01-29-2008, 08:43 AM
All this Portishead hate means it'll be that much easier for me to get closer to the stage than I have for any other headliner.

I love how every time someone says "this band sucks!" or "coachella sucks!"
some idiot says "more room for me!" give me a fucking break. coachella will be just as packed this year and it will be insanely hard to get up front to most bands..

but keep up with being a retard.

nationocean
01-29-2008, 08:48 AM
It's all taste people, that's all.

yeah, some prefer mcdonalds cheeseburgers and while the rest of us prefer filet mignon.

microlovebeat
01-29-2008, 08:50 AM
holy crap you are not funny

nationocean
01-29-2008, 08:55 AM
holy crap you are not funny

uh, good. cuz i'm being serious. now go die in a fire.

SFChrissy
01-29-2008, 08:56 AM

for sure...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-29-2008, 09:40 AM

better then Bjork? hmmm....

Sonicifyouwantit
01-29-2008, 11:26 AM

if they stick em in the sahara it would not work...way to mellow. Not sure what defines electronica to you but its not dance music, its more triphop than anything

Sonicifyouwantit
01-29-2008, 11:28 AM
I love how every time someone says "this band sucks!" or "coachella sucks!"
some idiot says "more room for me!" give me a fucking break. coachella will be just as packed this year and it will be insanely hard to get up front to most bands..

but keep up with being a retard.

maybe if there were 70000 people on this message board saying they were not going to see portishead, that isnt the case though. A lot of people have been dying to see them so it will be packed...I however will be at one of the other stages so you can take my spot, if someone else doesnt take it first.

beartrash
01-29-2008, 11:45 AM
if they stick em in the sahara it would not work...way to mellow. Not sure what defines electronica to you but its not dance music, its more triphop than anything

I didn't call them electronica.

Sonicifyouwantit
01-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I didn't call them electronica.

ok well scratch the a off, electronic, either way they would put the sahara to sleep and they are too big for mojave, so the only other option is outdoor theater but then who on saturday would headline the main stage? Kraftwerk maybe unless they put them in the sahara like they did in 2004.

amyzzz
01-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Portishead is the headiner. They will be on the main stage.

Memorial_07
01-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Portishead isn't the most upbeat band live, but that doesn't even matter.
They aren't the band to impress you, they are a band you see just to hear their music.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Portishead will OWN on the main stage....

Memorial_07
01-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Portishead will OWN on the main stage....

There.
Simplest terms that could be used for you all to understand how Portishead will be.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-29-2008, 06:58 PM
ok well scratch the a off, electronic, either way they would put the sahara to sleep and they are too big for mojave, so the only other option is outdoor theater but then who on saturday would headline the main stage? Kraftwerk maybe unless they put them in the sahara like they did in 2004.

Also, expect Kraftwerk to follow Portishead on the main stage....ala Tiesto....

Natelevmofuggaz
01-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Last year all everyone did was bitch that Portishead wasn't on the bill. This year, GV delivers and everyone bitches because they are too high on the bill.

Haha too true.

unknown
01-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Portishead is my top MUST SEE band this year.

They're brilliant.

If you don't get it, you never will, don't even bother.

misterpickles
01-30-2008, 12:56 PM
how come all you hipsters have been asking for portishead the past few years..and now you get them and all you do is complain. who f*ckin cares man, its gonna be an awesome show regardless of the fact that theyre 'headliners'

agreed, i would say "no use crying over spilt milk" even though Portishead isn't "spilt milk" cause i think they'll put on an epic show. but unless you are buddies with a GV exec or plan on making an official petition there's no point in complaining about headliners or Jack Johnson or whatever, enjoy coachella for what it is

Trailmix
01-30-2008, 12:59 PM
I am excited for Portishead but I think I agree with comparison of them to Massive Attack I do not think they are big enough to be a headliner.

betao
01-30-2008, 01:10 PM
has everyone overlooked the fact that maybe Portishead is headlining due to the lack of other possible headliners? We all kinda know how radiohead turned out, and I doubt GV wanted to book anyone they've had headline in the past few years.

Had they gotten Oasis or Beastie Boys to headline, there would have been more complaining from everyone here.

And like its been said earlier, i'm sure GV gave them a headlining status because they're have been so many requests over the past couple years for these guys. GV was trying to give the fans what they wanted.

In all honesty, I do think Portishead would be a better subheadliner than headliner. But still, I have no problem whatsoever with them headlining. It'll be a wicked show.

inkwell
01-30-2008, 01:36 PM
ditto.

I personally am much more excited about Portishead headlining than I was about Tool, Rage, Depeche Mode, NIN, Bjork, RHCP, Beastie Boys, Coldplay, Oasis, The Cure, Janes Addiction

planet_rose
01-30-2008, 06:15 PM

regardless! music is music. and what is. is. so stop being BRATS.

Memorial_07
01-30-2008, 07:50 PM
these threads about Portishead not being able to headline are really redundant

Sonicifyouwantit
01-30-2008, 07:55 PM

exactly same with breeders

rpfote
01-31-2008, 02:22 PM
I'd never listen to Portishead until I saw them on the poster. My first reaction was: "They remind me of 'Music to Make Love to your Old Lady by'," and it made me smile. (Though it might just be the first song of thier's I heard was Glory Box )

I for one enjoy watching good bands, and no mater who get what billing, I think I will enjoy Portishead, and enough of the massive offering of music in the three days that my tickets will be money well spent.

luveebunni08
01-31-2008, 02:28 PM
portishead, the verve, the breeders, and roger waters were all surprising to me but i was thrilled. they can totally headline. i, personally, like the fact that gv didn't go for EXTREME headliners to draw a bunch of vibe killing idiots to take up space.

Pixiessp
01-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Portishead on the main stage followed by someone to be added later I'll bet.

Sonicifyouwantit
01-31-2008, 02:41 PM

maybe kraftwerk after portishead or sasha & digweed ie. tiesto 07...not a big fan of sasha/dig but I have to say at Bonnaroo last year sasha & digweed win LOUDEST ACT award, they played till about 6:30am...thats right 6:30am and I was about a mile from the stage at my tent;woke up around then and thought someone was blasting it in their car and realized OMG its coming from the tent way the hell on the other side of the fest! They turned that motha up!

ayates
01-31-2008, 02:48 PM
maybe kraftwerk after portishead or sasha & digweed ie. tiesto 07...not a big fan of sasha/dig but I have to say at Bonnaroo last year sasha & digweed win LOUDEST ACT award, they played till about 6:30am...thats right 6:30am and I was about a mile from the stage at my tent;woke up around then and thought someone was blasting it in their car and realized OMG its coming from the tent way the hell on the other side of the fest! They turned that motha up!

You're a douche.

newalias
01-31-2008, 05:12 PM
I anticipate Portishead being equally entrancing to that of Air in 2004. I am super excited. I really hope that they bring everything they got. I would love to see a repeat of Roseland on the Coachella stage. Bring me a full orchestra! :)

newalias
01-31-2008, 05:12 PM

I wonder if Sasha and Digweed will close the night out like Tiesto did. That would be fun.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-31-2008, 05:17 PM
I anticipate Portishead being equally entrancing to that of Air in 2004. I am super excited. I really hope that they bring everything they got. I would love to see a repeat of Roseland on the Coachella stage. Bring me a full orchestra! :)

God, I really really hope they bring that full orchestra...

jeanh2
01-31-2008, 05:23 PM
yeah men portish is one of my favorites but nos for the masess

i mean i apreciate more if were on a city bar

mschirmersf
02-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Portishead makes perfect sense. It's EXACTLY what Coachella is famous for. Take a band that hasn't played live or hasn't been in the spotlight for eons but have a SUPER HUGE following and WALLAH! You have a perfect night under the desert moon. It's soooo Coachella and I can't wait. They have a new record coming out too. What makes even more sense is for years they have been an Urban Legend like rumor of being on the Coachella stage and every year it never happens. It's very exciting and now all they have to do is get Cocteau Twins to get off their asses and cross the F'n pond.

betao
02-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Portishead makes perfect sense. It's EXACTLY what Coachella is famous for. Take a band that hasn't played live or hasn't been in the spotlight for eons but have a SUPER HUGE following and WALLAH! You have a perfect night under the desert moon. It's soooo Coachella and I can't wait. They have a new record coming out too. What makes even more sense is for years they have been an Urban Legend like rumor of being on the Coachella stage and every year it never happens. It's very exciting and now all they have to do is get Cocteau Twins to get off their asses and cross the F'n pond.

Portishead most definitely does NOT have a "SUPER HUGE" following. Or, at least not here in the states.

Bulletproof
02-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Portishead is going to be so dope. I'm happy with them headlining.

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 07:39 PM
I wonder if Sasha and Digweed will close the night out like Tiesto did. That would be fun.

... does this person know they're being funny?

thinnerair
02-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Portishead most definitely does NOT have a "SUPER HUGE" following. Or, at least not here in the states.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and say that you don't know what you're talking about.

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Well, he's half right. Portishead doesn't have a huge following, but they have about as big of a following as you can have for trip hop.

thinnerair
02-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Considering it is their only confirmed US date, they will be a huge draw. As for a full scale tour, could they pull the same crowd every show? Probably not, but for a 'one-time-only' show, they certainly can draw huge numbers.

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Oh, I'm not arguing against their headliner status, but there is definitely a difficulty saying that they have a "huge" following.

thinnerair
02-02-2008, 08:21 PM
shhhhhh....

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 08:23 PM
I'll still fuck you til you love me. That's consistent through all these threads.

thinnerair
02-02-2008, 08:24 PM
You really are trying to ruin the internets one thread at a time here, arent ya?

GaragePoet
02-02-2008, 08:24 PM
fuck it, i've realized i'm just sick of talking w/ most of you people...

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 08:26 PM
You really are trying to ruin the internets one thread at a time here, arent ya?

No, I'm doing it in all threads simultaneously. LIKE I WAS SAYING.

betao
02-02-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm gonna have to go ahead and say that you don't know what you're talking about.

sure they have a following, but not a super huge one here in the states. maybe at the peak of the career, before they went on a practically 5 year hiatus you could claim they had a "super huge" following, but seriously... mention their name to someone in the states, and usually the most you'll get is "oh yea ive heard of them".

brando4n82
02-03-2008, 07:06 AM

um, well you're right about Depeche Mode...

Sonicifyouwantit
02-03-2008, 02:45 PM
You're a douche.

care to explain?

Sonicifyouwantit
02-03-2008, 02:46 PM
yeah men portish is one of my favorites but nos for the masess

i mean i apreciate more if were on a city bar

???

Sonicifyouwantit
02-03-2008, 02:50 PM
You're a douche.

dont be jealous

Mjfritts
02-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I bet they are going to put one the best show that desert has seen.

Sorry but I am 100 percent sure that the best show the desert has ever seen award will be handed to roger waters in 84 days!

Sonicifyouwantit
02-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Sorry but I am 100 percent sure that the best show the desert has ever seen award will be handed to roger waters in 84 days!

so far my vote goes to daft

ADGZ662
02-04-2008, 01:58 PM
portishead is coooool the person that started this thread is noooooot

bigloverlove
04-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Whoever posted this is lame. And Prince is lame for stealing their headliner. Portishead was the best show I have ever seen and I've seen PLENTY, and I mean PLENTY of shows.

C DUB YA
04-28-2008, 08:21 AM

agreed

ARBJORK
05-02-2008, 05:16 AM

shut up..
go watch jack johnson then