PDA

View Full Version : Some recommendations would be greatly appreciated

paganman7
01-21-2008, 07:48 PM
I must admit, with an overwhelming sense of sadness, that this lineup crushed my spirits. Like most of you, Coachella is a year long undertaking. I attend the event, then for 5 or 6 months afterwards, I relive it with photos, videos, and stories. Then, I spend the next 4 months awaiting the lineup. Then, I spend the 2 months prior to the event preparing mentally, physically, and financially.

That said, I am truly and genuinely trying to view this lineup as something positive; a chance to expose myself to some great artists that I wouldn't otherwise have an opportunity to, but I need some help. Can you please recommend your top 5 acts each day? To put my tastes into perspective, my top 5 alltime favorite Coachella performances have been Daft Punk, Tool, Massive Attack, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Rage. With these acts in mind, can you please throw me 5 names each day that I should check out?

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Parenthetical Boy
01-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Animal Collective
Hot Chip
Justice
Pendulum
and....Spiritualized?

MarkO
01-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Do not miss Madness.

kroqken
01-21-2008, 07:51 PM
I like Vampire Weekend, Animal Collective, Architecture in Helsinki, Madness and Autolux for five bands off the top of my head. There are still enough good bands to warrant going. I wish Supergrass was there.

tripcalifornia
01-21-2008, 07:52 PM
I must admit, with an overwhelming sense of sadness, that this lineup crushed my spirits. Like most of you, Coachella is a year long undertaking. I attend the event, then for 5 or 6 months afterwards, I relive it with photos, videos, and stories. Then, I spend the next 4 months awaiting the lineup. Then, I spend the 2 months prior to the event preparing mentally, physically, and financially.

That said, I am truly and genuinely trying to view this lineup as something positive; a chance to expose myself to some great artists that I wouldn't otherwise have an opportunity to, but I need some help. Can you please recommend your top 5 acts each day? To put my tastes into perspective, my top 5 alltime favorite Coachella performances have been Daft Punk, Tool, Massive Attack, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Rage. With these acts in mind, can you please throw me 5 names each day that I should check out?

I am SOOOO in your same situation. I gotta say though, Roger Waters performing Dark Side of the Moon from start to finish is something to REALLY look forward to. Other than that, I think Fatboy Slim is my big name this year. So I am also interested in recommendations...not just the names of the bands, but maybe even your favorite songs or tracks by them so I don't end up wasting money from a misleading 30 sec preview on Itunes. Thanks

Kurosawa
01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Hey, you seem to have slightly similar taste to me (Yeah Yeah Yeahs were GREAT in 06!). Maybe check these out:

Friday
The Breeders
The Raconteurs
Pendulum
Cut Copy
Adam Freeland

Saturday
Kraftwerk
Portishead
Cinematic Orchestra (I hope they do their Man With a Movie Camera performance)
Little Brother
Sasha & Digweed

Sunday
Spiritualized
Metric (they were great in 06)
Gogol Bordello
Murs
Simian Mobile Disco

Westy
01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
The line-up is really growing on me. Here are my recommendations:

Friday:
The Verve
Midnight Juggernauts
Fatboy Slim
Battles
Pendulum

Saturday:
Portishead (obviously)
Kraftwerk
MIA
Hot Chip
Boys Noize

Sunday:
Roger Waters
The Streets
Justice
Simian Mobile Disco
The Horrors

Yeeeeaahh. Can't wait!

ArcadeParade
01-21-2008, 07:56 PM
no Islands?

normalone75
01-21-2008, 07:56 PM
go see chromeo and santogold (however I have never seen her live) Justice, is a gimme, Hot Chip! Wow incredible! and throw in aesop rock. I have never seen him but I bet he is dynamite.

paganman7
01-21-2008, 07:58 PM
You guys rock! I am seriously holding back tears at how helpful people can be when they're so enthusiastic about music.

I'm trying exceedingly hard to open my horizons this year and not be a whiny bitch like many around here have been, and you guys are making that process a lot easier.

idrive1life
01-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Don't miss any of these (or choose one if they conflict - you can't go wrong):

120 Days
The Field
Battles
Diplo
Hot Chip
Architecture in Helsinki
Modeselektor
Les Savy Fav
Stars
Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
Rogue Wave
Man Man
Islands
Stephen Malkmus
Jens Lekman
The Verve
Portishead
Kraftwerk
Holy Fuck
I'm From Barcelona
St. Vincent
The Raconteurs
Simian Mobile Disco
Vampire Weekend
Erol Alkan
Spiritualized
Modeselektor
Animal Collective

bonerfromgrowingpains
01-21-2008, 08:03 PM
kraftwerk
sharon jones and the dapkings
modeselektor
roger fucking waters
gogol bordello
institubes djs
madness
calvin harris
turbonegro
little brother
...just a few

AbundantChoice
To put my tastes into perspective, my top 5 alltime favorite Coachella performances have been Daft Punk, Tool, Massive Attack, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Rage. With these acts in mind, can you please throw me 5 names each day that I should check out?.

Midnight Juggernauts, Justice, Kavinsky, and Boyz Noise will fulfill your Daft Punk leanings.

If you like YYYs, you probably would like Les Savy Fav, and maybe Man Man.

Dredg is like Tool For Sissies ;)

Other bands i'd suggest based on the strength of their live shows: Gogol Bordello, Holy F**k, and Hot Chip. Datarock could also be awesome.

chiapet
I don't know if you saw the post PF made, but the "news" section of the Coachella site was updated with links to every band's myspace. Granted, a few songs on a myspace page aren't going to take you too far, but it's a start. :)

I've only gone to one Coachella so far (last year), but the bands I thought I would be most excited about when the lineup was posted were not the ones I was most desperate to see by the week of the festival - the bands I checked out *because of* the lineup were some of the best performances of the weekend. I'm looking forward to that again :)

faxman75
01-21-2008, 08:04 PM
The National, The Breeders, The Raconteurs, Justice, Hot Chip, The Verve, Love and Rockets, Portishead.

orbit
01-21-2008, 08:04 PM
The Bees
Holy Fuck
Modeselektor

AAM!!!
01-21-2008, 08:05 PM
love & rockets will be amazing
portishead is the only band, in my mind, that is capable of putting on a better show

psychic friend
01-21-2008, 08:07 PM
yoN6XfyQsr4

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-21-2008, 08:08 PM
yoN6XfyQsr4

What's this video PF? its good!

mvanwinkle
01-21-2008, 08:08 PM
dont miss man man.

aguadulce
01-21-2008, 08:11 PM
My morning jacket = great live show
Devotchka = super good
The National = super good
Hot chip = super fun
Rilo Kiley = super cute
the Swell Season = have beautiful songs
Akron family = great
Flogging Molly = very hopping live show.
Jens Lekman & Brett Dennan = both have great voices.
Fatboy Slim = super fun.

orbit
01-21-2008, 08:16 PM
What's this video PF? its good!

Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius pip - Thou shalt always kill

Great act.

If you liked the song, I suggest you to look for the Knifehandchop remix. And the Jono Fernandez- Kid Kenobi Remix as well

Boourns
01-21-2008, 08:18 PM
I've never seen Akron/Family, but really want to. Really liked their album that came out last year. Metric and Islands are awesome live. Umm...
Top 5 each day, excluding obvious ones like Portishead, Verve, Roger Waters:
Friday: Raconteurs, Battles, Breeders, Animal Collective, Dan Deacon
Saturday: Islands, Akron Family, St. Vincent, Kraftwerk (not really into that sort of music but I hear the live show owns), Death Cab for Cutie
Sunday: Metric, Justice, Spiritualized, Gogol Bordello

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius pip - Thou shalt always kill

Great act.

If you liked the song, I suggest you to look for the Knifehandchop remix. And the Jono Fernandez- Kid Kenobi Remix as well

thanks!

Mr.Wyndham
01-21-2008, 08:23 PM

exactly.

paganman7
01-21-2008, 08:23 PM
thanks!

Ditto. I will absolutely check them out. That video was great, thanks PF.

BTW, we should perhaps paste that video in all of the more hostile threads...Radiohead are just a band...

karecares
01-21-2008, 08:24 PM
thank you for making this thread, it is quite helpfull :)

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-21-2008, 08:27 PM
if you haven't heard them, check out:

LES SAVY FAV
VAMPIRE WEEKEND

and personally i like THE HORRORS, but i know its an aquired taste.

bonerfromgrowingpains
01-21-2008, 08:36 PM
yoN6XfyQsr4

YESSS...

lowfront
01-21-2008, 08:44 PM
no one is really talking about them but John Butler Trio is one of my favorite lives acts there is.

Def check them out

SecretAgentX-9
01-21-2008, 08:49 PM
We seem to have similar taste. I'm going with Animal Collective, Battles, Mum, Fatboy Slim, and Minus the Bear for friday.
Portishead, Kraftwerk, Islands, SEbastiAn, St. Vincent, MGMT for saturday, and for sunday i'm rollin with Roger Waters, MMJ, Justice, Holy Fuck, Manchester Orchestra, and Annuals.

The bold ones are the act that I'm seeing that day no matter who they conflict with, and of course I'll be seeing more than just these bands I listed, I just need to check in to the rest of them.

mvanwinkle
01-21-2008, 08:52 PM
wow dani thank you soooo much. thats act number 2. pendulum being number 1 that 24 hrs. that im excited for. damn gv people dont no what the hell they are talking i love you. 08> 07

tripcalifornia
01-21-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't know if you saw the post PF made, but the "news" section of the Coachella site was updated with links to every band's myspace. Granted, a few songs on a myspace page aren't going to take you too far, but it's a start. :)

I've only gone to one Coachella so far (last year), but the bands I thought I would be most excited about when the lineup was posted were not the ones I was most desperate to see by the week of the festival - the bands I checked out *because of* the lineup were some of the best performances of the weekend. I'm looking forward to that again :)

Good point, that happened to me last year when I was walking by The Teddybears on my way to Rage. I was kinda obsessed with them once I got home. And I had never heard of the Silversun Pickups until Coachella last year, now they're one of my number ones! Good good good point!

Proadict
01-21-2008, 08:55 PM
ROGER WATERS
the horrors
porter
austin Tv
cafe tacuba
man man
120 days
animal collective
fatboy slim
flogging molly
gogol bordello

and others not famous at all

TheGuvna
01-22-2008, 06:00 AM
Friday- The Bees, Datarock, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, Battles and it's a tie between Spank Rock/Vampire Weekend.

Saturday- Kraftwerk, M.I.A., Rilo Kiley, MGMT and Hot Chip

Sunday- Chromeo, Black Kids, Shout Out Louds, Love & Rockets and My Morning Jacket.

jonprc
01-22-2008, 06:06 AM
if you like M.I.A then don't miss santogold. especially since spank rock is there too. they're bound to help each other out which makes for a great show.

Memorial_07
01-22-2008, 06:09 AM
Turbonegro puts on VERY entertaining shows
and so does Gogol Bordello and I don't have to say "don't miss them."
I'm sure many other people have already said they are amazing live.

Coates
01-22-2008, 09:40 AM
yoN6XfyQsr4

is he just listing bands that aren't playing the festival then?

The Beatles: Not playing Coachella.
Led Zepplin: Not playing Coachella.
The Beach Boys: Not playing Coachella.
The Sex Pistols: Not playing Coachella.
The Clash: Not playing Coachella.
Crass: Not playing Coachella.
Minor Threat: Not playing Coachella.
The Cure: Not playing Coachella.
The Smiths: Not playing Coachella.
Nirvana: Not playing Coachella.
The Pixies: Not playing Coachella.
Oasis: Not playing Coachella
Radiohead: Not playing Coachella.
Bloc Party: Not playing Coachella.
The Arctic Monkeys: Not playing Coachella.
The Next Big Thing... Not playing Coachella.

seriously though he sounds good, i'll check him out definitely.

chucky canuck
01-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Go to Holy Fuck's myspace page and listen to Royal Gregory..

Now! Quick!!!!!

Kateski
01-22-2008, 02:33 PM
I am happy about...

The Raconteurs
The Breeders
Tegan & Sara (hmmm, are they good live??)
Madness
Animal Collective
Battles
Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip (i heart them long time!)
Vampire Weekend
Reverend & The Makers
Black Lips
Portishead
Death Cab (again, how are they live??)
M.I.A (oho, now this will be a treat)
Cold War Kids (hmmm, have seen them a couple of times and they ain't consistent...they have been breathtaking...and also AWFUL)
Stephen Malkmus
Flogging Molly (always fun :))
Mark Ronson
Bonde Do Role (did i read that right? I thought they lost a band member..)
Roger Waters (oh, so much better if it was the whole of Pink Floyd-but i think that issue has been done to death ;))
Spiritualized
Justice
The Streets (always quality)
Sons & Daughters (have always been thwarted when trying to see them so fingers crossed here...i love Repulsion Box!)
Holy Fuck!!!!!
The Horrors (prob a cliche now but when they first started out they put on a fucking awesome live show!)

So to conclude, that's not a bad lot...but i could see most of them quite easily over the festival season...ah well, my flight is booked and i plan on getting drunk and dancing my arse off...could be a helluva lot worse :)

PrettyRagdoll
01-22-2008, 03:37 PM

You need to see....

Metric! <-- Do not miss them. Emily Haines [the lead singer] was Karen-O's roomie for a while. Trust me. You'll dig them

M.I.A - Cause she's kick ass live

The Streets - Cause he's good

Flogging Molly & Gogol Bordello - These two bands put on fucking brilliant live shows.

error401
01-22-2008, 03:45 PM
I Looooove Booka Shade!
Don't miss them!