PDA

View Full Version : Are you going to Coachella?

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-21-2008, 07:37 PM
A lot of us seem pretty bummed, some are even talking about not going. So I was curious who is going to do what.

alpharuin
01-21-2008, 07:37 PM
If I didn't live in the desert, I wouldn't go. It's not worth traveling more than 100 miles for this lineup.

fatbastard
01-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Yes.

Parenthetical Boy
Yes.

Derekx
I'm still not sure. More than likely I will though.

kroqken
01-21-2008, 07:39 PM
I already have a motel reservation and I like enough bands that I will go. Also, I love the experience of Coachella, it is more magical than anything Doug Henning ever accomplished. By the way, Doug Henning looked like Gallagher with a full head of hair.

g0k1ngsg0
Yes, I am going to Coachella

C DUB YA
add the option of... I am going to APW (east Coachella). I am not going to Coachella this year.

Heresy
01-21-2008, 07:40 PM
I've submitted my vote to NO

JSam67
01-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Coachella was the greatest 3 days of my life last year. I said then I wouldn't miss another one the rest of my life. I still don't think I will (miss one), but it's sure not the excitement level last year with Arcade Fire, Bjork, Rage, etc. I think I'll still go, and it will still be a glorious vacation, but it's a bit underwhelming considering the suspense/excitement I had been feeling until the lineup came out.

ultraslow
01-21-2008, 07:41 PM
i might give this one a miss...not really worth flying to CA for

if the NJ fest lineup is better i'll go to there.

who has been to some good european festivals they can recommend?
or other american festivals....

Westy
01-21-2008, 07:42 PM
I'll be going and will have a great time. Some additions would be nice, but there are enough bands I want to see to justify the cost.

malcatrazz
01-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Coachella's always a great experience but this year...
friends may be thinking this might be the opportunity to get out to another fest---preferably hippie free.

I'd have to say it's up in the air right now.

C DUB YA
01-21-2008, 07:46 PM
I think a lot of us are in the same boat, and will be wiling to wait and see what the other fests parade out this year.

victor831
01-21-2008, 07:46 PM
After hearing the the answer is a resounding no, and i know my friends won't be attending as well, I was so excited for coachella what a friggin dissapoinment.. I'm pissed and plus they raise ticket prices? i rather take my festival saved money and fly to a festival tbd, what a nightmare.

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-21-2008, 07:47 PM
add the option of... I am going to APW (east Coachella). I am not going to Coachella this year.

Shit, I should have thought of that.

orbit
01-21-2008, 07:51 PM
I don't know yet (I never thought I'd say that of Coachella). Depends on the other fest lineups I guess, Bonnaroo should be announcing its lineup soon.

DHARMA2112
01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Only going because I live 20-30 min from there. I will only be going to maybe 2 out of the 3 days, IF that.

What a shitty line up.

karecares
01-21-2008, 07:57 PM
i plan to go to both Coachella and APW - i'm in NJ

Boourns
01-21-2008, 07:59 PM
I feel like I have to go Saturday to see Portishead because they are in my top 2 most-desired-to-see acts, excluding corpses. But then $110 for a ticket, plus $50 on busfare (or gas)? Expensive as hell. So I'd have to go Sunday as well to make it worth my while.

If there are no announced Portishead shows anytime soon, I'll be there. If not, then no.

C DUB YA
01-21-2008, 08:00 PM
I feel like I have to go Saturday to see Portishead because they are in my top 2 most-desired-to-see acts, excluding corpses. But then $110 for a ticket, plus $50 on busfare (or gas)? Expensive as hell. So I'd have to go Sunday as well to make it worth my while.

If there are no announced Portishead shows anytime soon, I'll be there. If not, then no.

Me thinks there will be.

coldstart
01-21-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm still driving the 300 miles.

smoke
01-21-2008, 08:29 PM
i'm in. i can see myself having fun to sooo many bands on the lineup. i like the vibe of this years event.

tripcalifornia
01-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I love Coachella and for everything it is (not just the music line up), but for this year to be honest I wouldn't pay what I end up having to dish out for everything if I lived farther than 7 or so driving hours away. I'm sure gas is gonna be AT LEAST $4 a gallon by then.

fasttrack
01-21-2008, 10:13 PM
hell yes i'm going to coachella.
if you aren't i'm sorry for you.
you're going to miss out on another great one.

Mr.Wyndham
01-21-2008, 10:15 PM
yes, im going to every coachella until i cant and i mean cant.

algunz
01-21-2008, 10:30 PM
hell yes i'm going to coachella.
if you aren't i'm sorry for you.
you're going to miss out on another great one.

what he said

tripzz
01-21-2008, 10:56 PM
I love coachella , not just the bands but the experience. I love the fact if I'm not enjoying a band I can just walk 100 feet away for a whole new experience, from the dance tents, the exploding fire balls or just to wander in a drunken stooper looking at all the hotties. I have fallen in love with some of the bands Coachella has introduced me too and I look forward to finding the gems in this years line up. I'm building my Rhapsody playlist now so I can make my picks. I so excited

mimi3000
01-21-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm going and steering clear of the main stage on Fri. I'm sure there will be someone else on that I'll like. Saturday seems to be my favorite day tho. Sunday needs more meat on it... do you think they'll add more? Do they usually add stuff after the lineup poster is released? Someone said PT mentioned SURPRISES...

cooperb1
01-22-2008, 12:48 AM
si am i have gone once before

fikus222
01-22-2008, 12:55 AM
I really wish the line up was irresistable, alas the only thing special about this line up is the festival aspect of it. Otherwise, I could just go to a couple of Massives and the Album tours of the (sub)headliners and be more than satisfied (with more money for more shows in the future).

idrive1life
01-22-2008, 04:13 AM
I don't know yet (I never thought I'd say that of Coachella). Depends on the other fest lineups I guess, Bonnaroo should be announcing its lineup soon.

I'm very disappointed / completely underwhelmed by the lineup (overall). There are still many acts that I want and would see with that lineup but it could/would/should had been much better than that (or vs. 2006 & 2007 lineups). I thought for sure at least Goldfrapp and PJ Harvey (fuck you Sirius if she is not going to be added later ;)) are locks of making in the lineup. Jack Johnson, My Morning Jacket, DCFC being so high high and huge in the poster make me cringe.

If I live in California (or just within 350 miles from Polo Fields), I'll be there every year.

I wish I went with my original plans of not going. I'm screwed by booking my flight before the announcement. *Now I'm not sure if I can go to some European festivals with me going to this*

If I can find a way to cancel my flight reservations without being charged of $$$ fees I will probably not go. But then I don't know if I will get the chance again to see Kraftwerk, Portishead, The Verve and Spiritualized anywhere live.

I'm definitely going to All Points West / East Coachella and/or Vineland festival(s) (i.e, if they are going to happen on the same weekend).

sonofhal
01-22-2008, 04:21 AM
Maybe i just have bad taste, but i look at it this way. Yes, i'm a little bit shocked at the undercard heavy lineup, but over the 3 days there are 55 bands i want to see, 60 i'm not familiar with and only 13 i have no interest in. I see this as a fairly good return. Plus once all these new bands go huge, you'll fondly remember seeing them in the gobi back in the day, or curse the fact that you didn't take a risk. Your choice, people.

TheGuvna
01-22-2008, 05:44 AM
Highly doubtful… I’m considering spending my money on upgrading to a 50” lcd instead.

woogie846
01-22-2008, 05:44 AM
Yes.

amyzzz
01-22-2008, 07:54 AM
pf is tossing a bunch of threads in the babble forum.

ShyGuy75
01-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Is water wet?

algunz
01-22-2008, 08:06 AM
i'm in. i can see myself having fun to sooo many bands on the lineup. i like the vibe of this years event.

Agreed. I think the energy this year will be great. Keep the haters out.:thu

pinkpiglet
01-22-2008, 08:11 AM
jack johnson headlining i dont get it... they might as well bring in matchbox twenty

pocket
01-22-2008, 02:45 PM
i am only going if it doesnt sell out and there is tons of tickets on craigslist for $40 (like friday last year).... i figure sunday will sell out though (but ive seen the roger waters act already so it wouldnt be anything special now)... saves me money to go see MBV another 2 nights at the roundhouse...

SFChrissy
01-22-2008, 02:53 PM
I just got a $196/rt from sfo to palm springs bitches!!! Wahooo...

imamoonmonster
01-22-2008, 09:39 PM
i might give this one a miss...not really worth flying to CA for

if the NJ fest lineup is better i'll go to there.

who has been to some good european festivals they can recommend?
or other american festivals....

VOODOO FEST in new orleans halloween weekend was awesome... last year the smashing pumpkins and rage headlined... also tiesto! and because i live in texas, i go to
AUSTIN CITY LIMITS who last year had bjork, bob dylan and muse headlining. it was supposed to be the white stripes instead of muse but someone was hospitalized or something but muse was awesome. bjork though.. no words can describe.
this year im also looking at...

BONNAROO in manchester, tennessee
VIRGIN MOBILE festival in baltimore, md
SASQUACH in washington
and some smaller ones such as
WAKARUSA in lawrence, kansas
and
TREASURE ISLAND festival in san fran, cali

eturnol
01-22-2008, 09:47 PM
I have been to Coachella seven times now and this is the first one I am thinking of not going to (I can't believe I am typing this). Like others, I am going to wait and see what lineups other festivals come up with before making any major decision.

Most likely though, I will go to at least one day so I voted for the partial choice. Especially since you don't really get too much of a break for buying a three day pass. 180 for two days is more reasonable.

This might be completely unfounded, but does it seem like Goldenvoice is just using the revenue they get from Coachella to fund other festival ventures? This is the first year i have ever seen where it seems like a lot of the money isn't put back into Coachella itself, with much of it going to All Points West and Stagecoach. It might not be true, but it certainly seems true at the moment...

kroqken
01-23-2008, 05:56 PM
I will be there, even if I am overly depressed over my romantic situation.

Suffacated
01-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Hell yeah... Both Brokendoll and I well be there..

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Maybe i just have bad taste, but i look at it this way. Yes, i'm a little bit shocked at the undercard heavy lineup, but over the 3 days there are 55 bands i want to see, 60 i'm not familiar with and only 13 i have no interest in. I see this as a fairly good return. Plus once all these new bands go huge, you'll fondly remember seeing them in the gobi back in the day, or curse the fact that you didn't take a risk. Your choice, people.

This is the best way to look at it. I may have been dismayed with the line-up at first, but I'm definitely going. I hope to see you all there.

traviscanada
01-24-2008, 12:31 AM
I've been looking forward to it since may of last year, no way am I not going. Flights been booked for a few weeks now.

SFChrissy
01-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Hell muthah effing YES I'm going!!!

Danica
01-24-2008, 08:11 AM
I was thinking about going but I haven't heard of like 90% of the bands on the lineup. Maybe if I give them all a listen and like what I hear I will go. I'm thinking that I will either attend Bonnaroo or All Points West, maybe both but it really depends on the lineups.

higgybaby23
01-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Agreed. I think the energy this year will be great. Keep the haters out.:thu

Complete agreement.

kroqken
01-24-2008, 07:40 PM
SOme of you bashers of this years lineup will buy tickets in the closet and try to show up nonchalantly.

mistdevil
01-25-2008, 12:57 AM
saturday!

mvanwinkle
01-26-2008, 12:23 PM
got the tickets ordered. have the camping passes in hand. now to wait.

MonsoonSeason
01-26-2008, 12:28 PM
yes, im going to every coachella until i cant and i mean cant.

right

same here

banking on that tax return this year

kiely
01-26-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm committed to Coachella for life.

MARIO ZAPATA
01-26-2008, 01:00 PM
If I didn't live in the desert, I wouldn't go. It's not worth traveling more than 100 miles for this lineup.

I'M AGREE WITH YOU, THIS LINE UP IS TOO BAD

MARIO ZAPATA
01-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Only going because I live 20-30 min from there. I will only be going to maybe 2 out of the 3 days, IF that.

What a shitty line up.
IM AGREE WITH, THIS LINE UP IS THE WORST

waxybk
02-01-2008, 11:30 AM
I actually really like this lineup. But since we are about to book our tickets and book the moving company, for our move to California, I don't think Coachella is possible...money wise..moving across the country is expensive enough....I'm fuckin bummed out!

Sexecutioner
02-01-2008, 01:21 PM
I actually really like this lineup. But since we are about to book our tickets and book the moving company, for our move to California, I don't think Coachella is possible...money wise..moving across the country is expensive enough....I'm fuckin bummed out!

dude, its coachella. make it happen. there are always ways. thats what credit cards are for. go into debt, sell your body, do whatever. its the best 3 days of the year, there is no excuse for missing it.

do it.

Coachellian
02-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Coachella forever!

Memorial_07
02-01-2008, 02:41 PM
The lineup might not seem like the greatest thing ever, but the experience in itself is magical.
Just go.
And more than likely, you'll discover a band whom you will really like.

Sexecutioner
02-01-2008, 03:33 PM
The lineup might not seem like the greatest thing ever, but the experience in itself is magical.

thats funny, i just told my friend that coachella is a magical weekend, and he called me a "fuckin hippy". hahahaha.

ATamreLion
02-01-2008, 04:29 PM
This is going to be my first year. I was excited to see the lineup and I'm really excited to enjoy the whole camping experience.

The lineup is good, but not nearly as good as the previous years. It's still worth a big chunk of money though.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Big deal ,three hundred dollars. whatever. its worth it to me every year.

waxybk
02-01-2008, 07:22 PM
dude, its coachella. make it happen. there are always ways. thats what credit cards are for. go into debt, sell your body, do whatever. its the best 3 days of the year, there is no excuse for missing it.

do it.

Trust me I get that! I just have to convince my friend that as well. I might actually go alone. I mean that may be lame or whatever, but I love going to Coachella so much, it just might be worth it. I can have fun by myself. It's not like there won't be thousands of other people there! Booyah!

Sexecutioner
02-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Trust me I get that! I just have to convince my friend that as well. I might actually go alone. I mean that may be lame or whatever, but I love going to Coachella so much, it just might be worth it. I can have fun by myself. It's not like there won't be thousands of other people there! Booyah!

exactly. now you are talking like a sane person. im glad you have seen the light.

Memorial_07
02-03-2008, 07:41 PM
thats funny, i just told my friend that coachella is a magical weekend, and he called me a "fuckin hippy". hahahaha.

That is pretty funny.
But I didn't have any other word to call it.

paulb
03-26-2008, 12:45 PM
ill be there all 3 days, and I cant wait.

goodgrl
03-26-2008, 09:20 PM
jst goin saturday. we couldnt take time off from work.
but agree with everyone that coach is a pretty magical weekend.
couldnt pass up seein' portis in the desert.

MantisMel
03-27-2008, 11:31 AM
I go every year or try to at least and I am the only one out of all my friends that is always talking about Coachella, being excited and planning for it even 6 months before. I think I annoy all my friends because I talk about it so much.

MeowMixer
03-27-2008, 11:35 AM
I luvs me some Coach. Only vacation I get.

gratytrainridesagain
03-27-2008, 11:41 AM
I go every year or try to at least and I am the only one out of all my friends that is always talking about Coachella, being excited and planning for it even 6 months before. I think I annoy all my friends because I talk about it so much.

Same here it always seems like after new year's eve I get bored and just start getting ready for Coachella

MeowMixer
03-27-2008, 11:45 AM
I can't sop talkin bout it.

anti-square
03-27-2008, 11:57 AM

I'm the same, but this year I managed to get a good chunk of them excited as well.

JJizzle04
03-27-2008, 02:47 PM
I got my friends all excited to go to the point we got our plane tickets bought based on the stellar line ups in the past and the kick ass time I had last year. But with this line up no one is overly excited, I know/hope it's going to be a good time. Just wish there was more to look forward to in the line, especially since The Streets and The Horrors dropped off and every one that is added is someone I've never even heard of.