PDA

View Full Version : "Dark Side Of The Moon"?

MrViper
01-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Does this mean that Waters is going to play through the entire record? If so, holy shit, hoooly shit.

BBCgirl
01-21-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm thinkin so....:)

Thr3ad_Grad3r
01-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Does this mean that Waters is going to play through the entire record? If so, holy shit, hoooly shit.

B

It's good to see some one focusing on the good headliners at Coachella.

Parenthetical Boy
01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
I've had Dark Side of the Moon on tape for ages, but I've actually never listened to it. That's how it is for 16 year olds in the 21st century.

faxman75
01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Yep, plus he will play a set of other Floyd hits and maybe a solo song or two. EPIC

boyalien0
01-21-2008, 07:56 PM

Yes. Exactly. I can't even fully believe it yet. I'm in shock.

whynotsmile99
01-21-2008, 07:57 PM
I've had Dark Side of the Moon on tape for ages, but I've actually never listened to it. That's how it is for 16 year olds in the 21st century.

well then, i suggest you buy the CD or vinyl and listen to the fuck out of that thing. I discovered Dark Side when I was about 15 and it is still a remarkable piece of work. What else are you listening to instead? jack Johnson?

man, i actually like Jack and I can't rip him a bit. Headling! who whudda thunk it

ELPOLLOLOCO
01-21-2008, 07:58 PM

Its what he's been doing for the last 25 years....There's about 20 people on stage and they go through Dark Side of The Moon front to back in the same order as the album....I think they should play Wiz of Oz on all the screens during the set...

Tijuana
01-21-2008, 07:58 PM
The whole Darkside of the Moon is enought time for a Coachella headliner. Don't expect much more than that. I wouldn't expect any more Pink Floyd songs. He played plenty of those in his tour. The poster does say Dark Side of the Moon not just Roger Waters. But we can only hope for more. Maybe, but probably not.

whynotsmile99
01-21-2008, 07:59 PM
and yes, Waters will be performing Dark Side of The Moon in its entirety and then play some other hits from The Wall and other Floyd albums after that.

I wonder how long his set is going to be. Does anyone who has seen him on this tour remember how long he played just Dark Side material for?

Parenthetical Boy
01-21-2008, 07:59 PM
well then, i suggest you buy the CD or vinyl and listen to the fuck out of that thing. I discovered Dark Side when I was about 15 and it is still a remarkable piece of work. What else are you listening to instead? jack Johnson?

man, i actually like Jack and I can't rip him a bit. Headling! who whudda thunk itI'm listening to Animal Collective, Why?, Xiu Xiu, Devendra Banhart, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Cat Power, Deerhoof etc. See Coachella 2006 basically. I don't listen to Jack Johnson, but he is tolerable. I don't understand all the hate. Why be pissed off anyway? It is so pointless to hate and be upset over this.

I have the tape, and I know I have a tape player somewhere, I'll listen to it tonight.

MrViper
01-21-2008, 08:01 PM
I have the tape, and I know I have a tape player somewhere, I'll listen to it tonight.

Also, I never really understood the CD until i got high as FUCK and played it. I suggest you do the same.

g0k1ngsg0
01-21-2008, 08:03 PM
during the press conference Paul Toilett said he would start off with a few songs and then play DSOTM in its entirity with "full throttle on the production" and probably follow that up with a couple encores.

I'm excited for it.

pandaroo
01-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Paul said he will be playing other songs including off the Wall album. I predict a abnormally long set time for Waters and I imagine he was so expensive they couldnt afford other headliners because they have to pay radiohead at jerseychella. yes im bitter

digitaldragon03
01-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Tollet said they were going to play the entire Dark Side of the Moon album along with a couple other hits from The Wall, Wish You Were Here, etc.

summerkid
01-21-2008, 08:06 PM
and yes, Waters will be performing Dark Side of The Moon in its entirety and then play some other hits from The Wall and other Floyd albums after that.

I wonder how long his set is going to be. Does anyone who has seen him on this tour remember how long he played just Dark Side material for?

i dunno 45-50 minutes? He'll play a bunch from the wall too and a song or two off wish you were here and animals.

smoke
01-21-2008, 08:07 PM
i'm excited for it too. i think the epic guitar solos and visuals will be a nice way to close out the festival.

plus everyone (should) know all or most of the set, which usually makes for a good vibe.

fasttrack
01-21-2008, 08:08 PM
i'm not a big pink floyd fan. i've never even bought a pink floyd album. this however, is not something i'm going to miss. i'm sure i'll become a fan afterwards.

deeznutz
01-21-2008, 08:09 PM
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/9026/1138975854624fm0.gif

galapagos169
01-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Intuitive...

whynotsmile99
I'm listening to Animal Collective, Why?, Xiu Xiu, Devendra Banhart, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Cat Power, Deerhoof etc. See Coachella 2006 basically. I don't listen to Jack Johnson, but he is tolerable. I don't understand all the hate. Why be pissed off anyway? It is so pointless to hate and be upset over this.

Enjoy! don't skip any tracks.

karecares
this is going to be pretty sweet.

Saw him this summer at live earth

karecares
01-21-2008, 08:11 PM

Parenthetical Boy
01-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Enjoy! don't skip any tracks.Skipping tracks fucking sucks with a $5 tape player that only has 'play' 'stop' and 'fast forward' buttons.

I'll enjoy. I need to take enough tylenol or something to ditch this fucking head ache.

woogie846
01-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Roger Waters is going to be AWESOME.

fatbastard
01-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Will there be a pink pig over the main stage?

chiapet
01-21-2008, 08:17 PM
i dunno 45-50 minutes? He'll play a bunch from the wall too and a song or two off wish you were here and animals.

Longer - DSOTM itself is like 45 minutes. And I agree the press statement today made it sound like several songs from the Wall and a few from Wish you were here and Animals. Maybe some other surprises. Someone else had commented that Sunday looks light, particularly for possible main stage acts. I wonder if this will be a longer set than we're expecting.

I'm not the biggest Pink Floyd fan ever (and am less fond of Waters solo), but I shiver just thinking about this. I hesitate to say "epic", but man... this is something that even my parents and cousins who grew up in that generation never got to see in its entirety. Plus, it really seems like a great way to end the last night of the festival, dramatic but with a mellow energy. SO different from Rage as the final act last year. I'm really liking what this should do to the vibe at the festival and at the campground. (Though... does this mean more unwashed hippies?)

smoke
01-21-2008, 08:20 PM
(Though... does this mean more unwashed hippies?)

yes, yes it does

J~$$$
01-21-2008, 08:21 PM
The surprise will be when Gilmour comes out to perform the encore with him.

galapagos169
01-21-2008, 08:23 PM
This sounds really boring.

But not as boring as it actually would be to watch a washed up pink floyd member try to capitalize on one of their famous albums

faxman75
01-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Longer - DSOTM itself is like 45 minutes. And I agree the press statement today made it sound like several songs from the Wall and a few from Wish you were here and Animals. Maybe some other surprises. Someone else had commented that Sunday looks light, particularly for possible main stage acts. I wonder if this will be a longer set than we're expecting.

I'm not the biggest Pink Floyd fan ever (and am less fond of Waters solo), but I shiver just thinking about this. I hesitate to say "epic", but man... this is something that even my parents and cousins who grew up in that generation never got to see in its entirety. Plus, it really seems like a great way to end the last night of the festival, dramatic but with a mellow energy. SO different from Rage as the final act last year. I'm really liking what this should do to the vibe at the festival and at the campground. (Though... does this mean more unwashed hippies?)

Agreed minus the unwashed hippies.

bingo_caller
01-21-2008, 08:27 PM
It's what he did in london in 2006. Missed it then.. Hopeful for this!

faxman75
01-21-2008, 08:28 PM

But not as boring as it actually would be to watch a washed up pink floyd member try to capitalize on one of their famous albums

If you have seen Roger Waters you would know he is far from washed up.

DHARMA2112
01-21-2008, 08:34 PM
He already did the darkside front to back tour in 2006-2007. I saw him at the Hollywood Bowl, and it was really just "ok". Waters really can't sing that well anymore. There are parts where he has female back up singers filling in (mostly for Gilmours parts).

It's kind of lame to be honest.

Gilmour is much better live then Waters right now.

ceva81
01-21-2008, 08:55 PM
i heard the anouncement online and i think i might have heard something about doing also some hits from the wall so it will not just be the dark side he will play other songs as well

HEADSTRUCK
01-21-2008, 09:06 PM

yes thats what it means.....he has been doing the same show for a few years now. it was cool the first time he did it but fuck he is really riding it to far. he played summerfest in milwaukee billed as the same thing last summer and a show in chicago the summer b4 doing the same thing

HEADSTRUCK
01-21-2008, 09:08 PM
He already did the darkside front to back tour in 2006-2007. I saw him at the Hollywood Bowl, and it was really just "ok". Waters really can't sing that well anymore. There are parts where he has female back up singers filling in (mostly for Gilmours parts).

agreed

beartrash
01-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Its what he's been doing for the last 25 years....There's about 20 people on stage and they go through Dark Side of The Moon front to back in the same order as the album....I think they should play Wiz of Oz on all the screens during the set...

Such a great idea.

bingo_caller
01-21-2008, 09:28 PM
AYE!

Crackerfromcrenshaw
01-21-2008, 09:36 PM
I figured this shit out... Goldenvoice wants more acid to be dropped at coachella...

Astrid
01-21-2008, 09:39 PM
The surprise will be when Gilmour comes out to perform the encore with him.

sorry but that is never going to happen. waters has been encouraging a pink floyd reunion for years, he wanted them to play under the pyramids in egypt, but gilmour is too into his shit solo work. lame. "I can’t see why I would want to be going back to that old thing." eh. (http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/09/24/exclusive-david-gilmour-looks-darkly-at-the-future-of-pink-floyd/)

Parenthetical Boy
01-21-2008, 09:42 PM
I figured this shit out... Goldenvoice wants more acid to be dropped at coachella...Why would anyone want to drop their acid? It would be much more sensible to take it. Duh!

Oh yeah, and I had to stop listening to Dark side of the moon. The shitty tape quality was giving me a headache.

SecretAgentX-9
01-21-2008, 09:44 PM
I can't wait to get high for this shit

garrett222
01-21-2008, 09:56 PM
that sucks it's not a special deal really..if he's been doing the same show for years...lets just get penn and teller, or the celine dion show from vegas...

DHARMA2112
01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
You'll def need to get high to appreciate this performance, seeing as Waters has really lost it over the years/

Proadict
01-21-2008, 10:16 PM
i would love DSOTM and then Enocre: wish You were here, Comfortably Numb, Another brick in the wall part 2

kretz
01-21-2008, 10:28 PM
I was Waters last year he puts on a great show live he's got quite a band. I'm probably just not happy about him for Coachella since I've seen him and I don't think him alone is a big enough for Coachella, Pink Floyd reunion would be. I also think Gilmour might walk out and that could be something Tollet's trying to "pull out of his sleeve." If they can do that it would totally make up for Jack Johnson.

minorbravo
01-21-2008, 10:35 PM
I saw Roger Waters do Dark Side of the Moon at the Hollywood Bowl last in 2006, it was awesome bitches, one of the best shows of my life.

nahuatldream
01-24-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm a huge fan of Pink Floyd and I loved the show at the Bowl in 2006. I am now hoping against hope that on the Main stage, Sunday, when we hear that cacophany that is "Speak to Me" and that wall of sound that flows into "Breathe", that Gilmour, Wright, Mason and Waters will all be standing there, playing.

brycerosen
01-24-2008, 09:00 PM
seeing dark side live will go down as one of the best coachella performances

Mr.Wyndham
01-24-2008, 09:04 PM
dark side of oz cant be done live.

Wheres the beef?
01-24-2008, 09:12 PM

Well thats totally understandable as I imagine you would have a hard time find a tape player. I think Ripley's might have one.

shakermaker113
01-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Well thats totally understandable as I imagine you would have a hard time find a tape player. I think Ripley's might have one.

I still have two or three tape players. those things never stop working. I keep them around for those nostalgia moments when I might pull out those few cassette tapes I decided to keep for memory's sake.

bludevil007
01-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Stupid question - im delirious at work and sparing you by not polling this crap:

if you had to pick one of the following, which would it be:

1) Pink Floyd reuniting at Coachella in 2008 for a one-off where they play Dark Side of the Moon from beginning to end; or

2) Pink Floyd reuniting at Coachella in 2008 for a one-off where they play the Wall from beginning to end.

Assume for the sake of this question that this is like the Good, the Bad and the Queen set last year where they play nothing else but the album, and they play it as a work - in order from beginning to end.

Now rant...

chip_m555
01-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Yes. Exactly. I can't even fully believe it yet. I'm in shock.

As am I!! Ive always wished i could go back in time to see floyd. Since I cant do that, this is the next best thing. I litterally shit my pants when i heard them announce that from mexico city. No really, i get diarrhea alot. I actually shit my pants.

chip_m555
01-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Stupid question - im delirious at work and sparing you by not polling this crap:

if you had to pick one of the following, which would it be:

1) Pink Floyd reuniting at Coachella in 2008 for a one-off where they play Dark Side of the Moon from beginning to end; or

2) Pink Floyd reuniting at Coachella in 2008 for a one-off where they play the Wall from beginning to end.

Assume for the sake of this question that this is like the Good, the Bad and the Queen set last year where they play nothing else but the album, and they play it as a work - in order from beginning to end.

Now rant...

The wall is longer so... id rather the wall. But then again Darkside and Wish you were here are my favorites.... so hmmmmmm

10klfvet
01-24-2008, 09:26 PM

I saw him at Tinley Park in Chicago in '06 and in St. Paul in '07 and he played the whole Dark Side, both times he went for about 3 hours-2 sets and an encore. It was an amazing experience!! You will not be disappointed, trust me! Can't wait to check it out in a festival atmosphere....crazy!!!

10klfvet
01-24-2008, 09:34 PM
If you have seen Roger Waters you would know he is far from washed up.

that guy is a douchebag, Waters did write and do vocals on pretty much all good Floyd anyway....I can tell you it was one my favorite shows, really good light show and like 15 people up on stage, unforgettable!!

10klfvet
01-24-2008, 09:37 PM

Maybe you caught him on a bad night or something, because we saw him in chicago and in st. paul and it spectacular both times!!!!!

Cdubby
01-24-2008, 09:40 PM
what is this nonsense that i have read that waters lipsyncs? that would suck major balls! its been mentioned by a poster here and then when i read comments on youtube, etc. i am excited for this closing act and dont want some mili vanili shit. can you imagine if the back track skipped and repeated and waters started dancing like a robot? lol.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Coachella will not sell out this year...

that is until a week or two before the festival when Roger Waters name drops off the poster and is replaced by Pink Floyd.
It makes sense. That way, all the fans of the rest of the line up get thier tickets first. Then, just before the festival, change it to Pink Floyd to sell more tickets. GV are smart. They know what they are doing.

this was posted by Rage in a different thread but it does make loads of sense...Why reunite Pink Floyd up front and have the tickets sell out in -2 seconds, without the "real" Coachella crowd? I had a nightmare a few days before the festival line up was announced with PF as a headliner and tickets selling out before I could get them....I always had dreams of hearing Pink Floyd play DSOTM...so maybe I am on to something? Hell, how bad can it be hearing the album live anyways?

deathvalleyblues
01-25-2008, 09:45 AM
When they say playing the "Dark Side of the Moon" its very literal. When I saw him in 06 it was surreal, but the one thing I couldn't get over is that they played the album NOTE FOR NOTE. They didn't add anything at all, but after a while I sat back and was able to really appreciate what I got to witness.

DzZzNuTsS
01-25-2008, 10:01 AM
He'll play a little from Wish you were Here, The Wall, Meddle and Animals..and some of his solo stuff..I went to his show 2 years ago, and it was amazing..Hollywood Bowl will do that to you tho

serridger
01-25-2008, 10:14 AM
He plays about an hour set to start with including a bit of The Wall, some solo stuff , Wish You Were Here and Shine On You Crazy Diamond, There's then about a 15 minute break before he comes back and does Dark Side Of The Moon, all the tracks played in the order they appear on the album, he then finishes off with some of The Wall including Another Brick in The Wall and Comfortably Numb. For his indoor shows yes indeed there was a flying pig( i Kid you not). Anyway here's what he played when i saw him in Hyde Park in 2006

In the Flesh
Mother
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts II - V)(abridged)
Have a Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Southampton Dock
The Fletcher Memorial Home
Perfect Sense, Parts 1 and 2
Leaving Beirut
Sheep

Set Two (The Dark Side of the Moon)
Speak to Me/Breathe
On the Run
Time/Breathe (Reprise)
The Great Gig in the Sky
Money
Us and Them
Any Colour You Like
Brain Damage
Eclipse

Encore
The Happiest Days of Our Lives
Another Brick in the Wall, Part II
Vera
Bring the Boys Back Home
Comfortably Numb

CurableOkie
01-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Headliners get an hour and a half to play, so that's more than enough for Dark Side and extra songs. Especially since headliners tend to go over their allotted time.

And don't expect Pink Floyd. It's just going to be Roger Waters.

You guys are crazy if you think Pink Floyd will be there.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-25-2008, 10:19 AM
And don't expect Pink Floyd. It's just going to be Roger Waters.

You guys are crazy if you think Pink Floyd will be there.

why you say that? this is a weird year....stranger things have happened...

sbessiso
01-25-2008, 10:24 AM
like what?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Daft Punk coming back from the dead to debut in a LED pyramid..
Beck doing a random set in the gobi...
The Pixies coming on before Radiohead and being incredible...
Bjork performing while she is pregnant...
Madonna....
Jack Johnson being a headliner....

sbessiso
01-25-2008, 10:28 AM
very good

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-25-2008, 10:28 AM
told you....

Superclash
01-25-2008, 11:24 AM
The first set is over an hour. Dark Side is the 2nd set - the entire CD with visuals up the ying yang. The encore set is another 45 minutes or so. Utterly amazing shit unlike anything you've seen before. Even if you've heard Dark Side before, seeing it is a whole other thing. You've only heard the soundtrack!

BROKENDOLL
01-25-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm a huge fan of Pink Floyd and I loved the show at the Bowl in 2006. I am now hoping against hope that on the Main stage, Sunday, when we hear that cacophany that is "Speak to Me" and that wall of sound that flows into "Breathe", that Gilmour, Wright, Mason and Waters will all be standing there, playing.
That just gave me chills all over...Thanks!

brando4n82
01-25-2008, 12:14 PM

your crazy. i saw him at the Hollywood bowl in '06 and '07. he killed. its gonna be a good show. Set the controls, Have a Cigar, SHEEP!... he busts out soo many good classics

faxman75
01-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Yep, the show I saw in Phoenix last year was absolutely incredible. I fucking loved it! I was grinnign from ear to ear the whole time and was completely sober. Easily the best concert of the year.

A close second was Calexico in Tucson, AZ. There's a band that should play..

knikki
01-25-2008, 12:18 PM
OK so I have been to 3 Coachellas and quit going because it got to BIG and the whole dynamics of the venue changed the last few years. I have to say I did have a blast each time, but honestly I had absolutely no intentions of attending another show until I saw Roger Waters on the closing night. I have been lucky enough to see Roger play 4 times & 3 times he did Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety and trust me if you have not had the pleasure of seeing it you will not be disappointed! It will by far be the best experience Coachella has ever had. The sound, the visuals, the orchestra, the back up singers and yes even the pig will blow your mind! No matter what kind of music you enjoy this show will please anyone! I have read people's posts saying he is old and washed up but come on kiddos, he's an original...he set the stage for so many of the artist today! If you are a fan of MUSIC at all Pink Floyd should be a staple in your CD collection. So get ready to sit back and enjoy. Oh and if you don't you can always go in a tent and watch a glow stick or two.

matildawong
01-25-2008, 12:29 PM
I read the link (in one of these threaads) to the article about the Gilmour/Waters feud and I don't see how there could ever be a Pink Floyd reunion. Am I missing something? Or are speculations of a Waters/Pink Floyd reunion without Gilmour.
Or are the speculations just crazy?

drugks Gillespie
01-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Floyd wont happen and I would gladly lose a $200 bet to be wrong. Yes, there will be a flying pig. I heard that that was actually hashed out in one of the lawsuits between band mates and Waters won the rights to fly the pig.

brando4n82
01-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Floyd wont happen and I would gladly lose a $200 bet to be wrong. Yes, there will be a flying pig. I heard that that was actually hashed out in one of the lawsuits between band mates and Waters won the rights to fly the pig.

only $200? I'd bet a million dollars BECAUSE IT WILL NEVER EVER EVER HAPPEN.

ya ya, i know. they played at live 8, but that was not for the money, it was for charity, and tickets were $1,800. and they played like 5 or 6 songs.

People that say Floyd should reunited dont know dick about Pink Floyd.

END OF STORY.

SunDevil
01-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Here's a hypothetical:

Would you rather see just Waters play DSOTM, or see Waters AND Gilmour play Meddle?

brando4n82
01-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Here's a hypothetical:

Would you rather see just Waters play DSOTM, or see Waters AND Gilmour play Meddle?

the second would be epic

Lt. Dangel
01-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Im starting to wonder? Who are the other headliners at festivals this year that will put on a better show that Waters?...besides Radiohead. Waters seems pretty damn awesome to me.

ech1375
01-25-2008, 01:36 PM
i saw the roger waters dark side of the moon show in mexico city about 8 months ago or so and it was incredible !! surround sound, flying pig and all...
roger did the whole record plus dome other pink floyd shit like "have a cigar" and some of the solo stuff. lets hope he does the same !!!!!

BeeII
01-25-2008, 03:02 PM
The whole Darkside of the Moon is enought time for a Coachella headliner. Don't expect much more than that. I wouldn't expect any more Pink Floyd songs. He played plenty of those in his tour. The poster does say Dark Side of the Moon not just Roger Waters. But we can only hope for more. Maybe, but probably not.

DSotM is 40ish minutes long, which leaves 20ish minutes.

galapagos169
01-27-2008, 02:49 PM
that guy is a douchebag, Waters did write and do vocals on pretty much all good Floyd anyway....

I think you're confusing Roger Waters with David Gilmour.
I know you aren't, but just so you don't sound like a complete idiot, pretend you are.

I have read people's posts saying he is old and washed up but come on kiddos, he's an original...he set the stage for so many of the artist today! If you are a fan of MUSIC at all Pink Floyd should be a staple in your CD collection.

DSOTM is one of my favorite albums. But just because Pink Floyd was good back in the seventies doesn't mean Roger Waters hasn't become washed up and boring in the past three decades.

jonnypark
01-27-2008, 02:52 PM
just because Pink Floyd was good back in the seventies doesn't mean Roger Waters hasn't become washed up and boring in the past three decades.
If the popularity of the album has managed to transend generations chances are the brain behind it will not become wahsed up or boring. We are not talking about MC Hammer.

faxman75
01-27-2008, 02:55 PM
DSotM is 40ish minutes long, which leaves 20ish minutes.

False. Headliners play at the minimum an hour and twenty. Most play 1:40-1:50.

galapagos169
01-27-2008, 03:22 PM
If the popularity of the album has managed to transend generations chances are the brain behind it will not become wahsed up or boring.

When you're done talking about the chances of good artists growing boring, listen to the pretentious shit captured on tape of The Wall.

And if you somehow make it through that crapfest without getting tired of Roger Water's excretions, try listening to his impossibly overblown solo work.

There's no point in talking chances when he's already become boring.

jonnypark
01-27-2008, 03:27 PM
1. The Wall is not boring, I would as go as far to say it is awesome.
2. David Gilmour plays guitar for Pink Floyd.
3. The "tape of the wall" who still listens to tapes?

ivankay
01-27-2008, 03:46 PM
VH1Classics will be showing (for the gazillionth time) the Classic Albums on Dark Side of the Moon on 2/2 at noon. If you haven't seen it, set your Tivos.

RODGERRAMJET
01-27-2008, 03:50 PM
like what?

Like Peter Tork actually learning how to sing, and starting a kick-ass blues band: Show Suede Blues. That's, "Like What?"

As far as Pink Floyd is concerned: I never "got" Dark Side of the Moon, although it's the first Pink Floyd LP I ever bought. I never "got" The Wall, either. But when a friend of mine turned me on to Meddle, I went, "Whoa! What's this?" The song, 'Echoes' still creeps me out in a dark room, alone.

chucky canuck
01-27-2008, 03:53 PM
If the popularity of the album has managed to transend generations chances are the brain behind it will not become wahsed up or boring. We are not talking about MC Hammer.

Well by that logic, Chuck Berry should headline next year. How about Paul *$#@ McCartney?

Let's just turn Coachella into another old-farts-remembering-yesteryear festival, featuring artists that are way, way, way past their prime.

RODGERRAMJET
01-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Well by that logic, Chuck Berry should headline next year. How about Paul *$#@ McCartney?

Let's just turn Coachella into another old-farts-remembering-yesteryear festival, featuring artists that are way, way, way past their prime.

I understand your pain, Chucky, and I'm a member of that age group commonly referred to as "the old farts". Roger Waters & Jack Johnson just don't fit the Coachella "vibe". But I'm still goin'. Not as happy in this year's line-up as the line-ups of the past, but I'm still goin'. Figure I'll probably drink a few too many brewskis and just roll with it. And, by the way, I did see Chuck Berry in West Palm Beach, FL about 5 years ago--maybe 6--and he SUCKED. I was so disappointed in how his performance was so lacking, and he was one of my musical heroes--an icon. So very disappointed.

galapagos169
01-27-2008, 04:10 PM
1. The Wall is not boring, I would as go as far to say it is awesome.
2. David Gilmour plays guitar for Pink Floyd.
3. The "tape of the wall" who still listens to tapes?

1. The Wall is terrible
2. Good job?
3. I said "shit captured on tape". Meaning they recorded the album on an analog tape machine. Even if I was talking about a cassette tape, that would be petty and irrelevant to point out.

ivankay
01-27-2008, 04:14 PM
i'm not buying that Roger Waters doesn't fit the "Coachella vibe". i think he is as perfect for the vibe as Kraftwerk, the Pixies, Gang of Four, or any other alternative/progressive icons. Floyd was shaping the underground that would push out the psychadelic culture that many a raver is indebted to. If the Happy Mondays (as shitty as they were) are "Coachella Vibe", Waters definitely is.

The Jack Johnson thing i'm still trying to adjust to because of his headlining, but he is alumni. Is he no longer Coachella vibe because of his placement in the line up? He still is part of the vibe (made up of many vibrations).

jonnypark
01-27-2008, 04:22 PM

That wasn't the fckin point of the post, the point was that Roger Waters shit isn't tired yet.

RODGERRAMJET
01-27-2008, 05:35 PM
i'm not buying that Roger Waters doesn't fit the "Coachella vibe". i think he is as perfect for the vibe as Kraftwerk, the Pixies, Gang of Four, or any other alternative/progressive icons. Floyd was shaping the underground that would push out the psychadelic culture that many a raver is indebted to. If the Happy Mondays (as shitty as they were) are "Coachella Vibe", Waters definitely is.

The Jack Johnson thing i'm still trying to adjust to because of his headlining, but he is alumni. Is he no longer Coachella vibe because of his placement in the line up? He still is part of the vibe (made up of many vibrations).

Syd Barret (R.I.P.) = Coachella vibe
post-Meddle Pink Floyd - not Coachella vibe

chucky canuck
01-27-2008, 05:43 PM
That wasn't the fckin point of the post, the point was that Roger Waters shit isn't tired yet.

If Waters wasn't a tired old act, he'd have something new to offer.
Instead, it's a trip down memory lane for aged hippies.

Nostalgia act.

jokerfit
01-27-2008, 05:49 PM

check the guy out before you rant and rave.

i too was pissed but this man isn't past his time. for half the new shit that is considered good ex jack i shouldn't be headlining johnson is what you should be pissed at.

dark side of the moon is fucking unbelievable and i cant wait to see it done live maybe for the last time.

next year Zeppelin

Truta
01-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Got to get some enchacements... this is a trip....

Roger Waters-Dark Side of the Moon

3qVf8fQNVNU

Mjfritts
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
i waas there!! i think.. hollywood bowl?

ghettojournalist
01-27-2008, 10:49 PM
even though the album will be played in its entirity, does that necessarily mean it will be played in sequential order? i remember Metallica going through "Master of Puppets" in its entirity, but not in order.

serridger
01-27-2008, 10:58 PM
even though the album will be played in its entirity, does that necessarily mean it will be played in sequential order? i remember Metallica going through "Master of Puppets" in its entirity, but not in order.

It's played in order, see my earlier post in this thread.

Mjfritts
01-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Listen people. You can get excited about Roger Waters and especially because you have not seen him before. BUT I am addicted to Waters! I've seen him live the last two years and YES he played the Dark Side of the Moon BOTH SHOWS at the hollywood bowl. the first set is random pink floyd songs and dark side of the moon is over an hour long. plus you get encore songs. BEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE! you will not forget it . I still don't have my tickets :(

jeanh2
01-31-2008, 05:44 PM

LOL YEAH MEN

WELCOME TO same fucking 20 years ago side of the moon

jeanh2
01-31-2008, 05:44 PM
uhhh ?? is still dark?

lol

greenplastic875
01-31-2008, 05:48 PM
I like the fact that jeanh2 doesn't realize he/she's a human waste and yet she registers on the boards a week later to whine. Oh...his/her post are just plain retarded.

Yo' late bitch.

And man Roger Waters is going to blow me away.

CurableOkie
01-31-2008, 05:50 PM
Syd Barret (R.I.P.) = Coachella vibe
post-Meddle Pink Floyd - not Coachella vibe

Uggghh, can we cut the whole "Coachella Vibe" discussion. The whole "Coachella Vibe" is that there is a wide array of bands that tend to so many different interests that everyone can find something they like.

Now as much as I loooove Meddle, this was not the end of Floyd. Although Meddle is my favorite Floyd record, I think "Wish You Were Here" was the band's all time pinnacle as far as entire records go (but it may well take the cake on individual songs too).

But Dark Side is a lot of fun. And I know Roger Waters has enough money to put on one helluva live show... which is really what this "Coachella vibe" you all speak of is all about.

One Helluva Show.

boredofcanada
01-31-2008, 06:22 PM
there are generations of people that would love to have seen this and never did....appreciate it....it's gonna be brilliant.

mrdude5699
01-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Man some of you guys are really dumb...Roger Waters will rock. I'm 20 years old and have been a floyd fan since i was 15, starting with Dark side. To see it performed by the man who wrote it in the Coachella Valley desert???I can't think of anything more in the Coachella spirit. You act like there have been shows everyday for the last 20 years....this is a rare chance and i will cherish it.

Plus how awesome will it be to watch him perform "time" now that he's all old, I'm young and have only recently discovered his music...very poignant.

msklvr
01-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Got to get some enchacements... this is a trip....

Roger Waters-Dark Side of the Moon

3qVf8fQNVNU

This is not Dark Side of the Moon. This is The Wall.

msklvr
01-31-2008, 06:57 PM
oic. It's parts of shit. The intro is the Wall, though...

VirtualRog
02-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Uggghh, can we cut the whole "Coachella Vibe" discussion. The whole "Coachella Vibe" is that there is a wide array of bands that tend to so many different interests that everyone can find something they like.

Now as much as I loooove Meddle, this was not the end of Floyd. Although Meddle is my favorite Floyd record, I think "Wish You Were Here" was the band's all time pinnacle as far as entire records go (but it may well take the cake on individual songs too).

But Dark Side is a lot of fun. And I know Roger Waters has enough money to put on one helluva live show... which is really what this "Coachella vibe" you all speak of is all about.

One Helluva Show.

Agreed. "Wish You Were Here" is the band's best work; no doubt about it. But the new "Dark Side..." live is nothing short of spectacular. After it's over, no one will be complaining about anything. The man certainly knows how to put on an entertaining rock concerrt. The visuals on "On the Run" and 'Any Colour You Like" are truly breathtaking.

Here's to hoping he plays a few other tunes, also..."Have a Cigar" and "Sheep" were unbelievable on this tour.

Have fun!

newalias
02-01-2008, 07:22 PM
The way I see it:

Dark Side of the Moon in order from start to finish, several musicians on stage, projections of Pink Floyd artwork and media. Encore: Other notable hits: The Wall parts 1 and 2 with live children's choir and possibly others hits, too. Bottom line: It's going to be an epic experience for those who love, cherish, and keep the spirit of Pink Floyd alive.

Oh, and stop ranting about Roger Water's capitalizing on the success of Pink Floyd, that's lame. After all, he IS a great inspiration and a huge part of the creative genius behind all the album concepts.

:So excited:

:)

thelastgreatman
02-01-2008, 08:29 PM
If John Lennon was alive, I would hope none of you assholes would complain about him headlining. If you did, you'd be jerkoffs. This is no different.

chucky canuck
02-02-2008, 06:26 AM
If John Lennon was alive, I would hope none of you assholes would complain about him headlining. If you did, you'd be jerkoffs. This is no different.

I'd only complain if he was headlining without having produced any decent material in 30 or more years.

McCartney would be a better example, since he is still alive. Would people complain about a headline act "McCartney plays Rubber Soul"?. I would.

digitaldragon03
02-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I would complain too. It should read, Paul McCartney plays The White Album.

aen90
02-02-2008, 06:13 PM
The Dark Side of the Moon spent 741 consecutive weeks (14 years) on the USA-based Billboard 200 album chart, the longest duration in history. It is also the fifth highest selling album globally of all time, selling more than forty million units.

who says its not headliner material?

im paying my respects on sunday under the desert sky....

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 06:28 PM
I'd only complain if he was headlining without having produced any decent material in 30 or more years.

McCartney would be a better example, since he is still alive. Would people complain about a headline act "McCartney plays Rubber Soul"?. I would.

McCartney is not analagous because McCartney is the inferior of two primary talents in his group. And John Lennon didn't really produce any material I care about after The Beatles except for maybe two songs. If he was alive and headlining, I'd want to hear Beatles songs.

smoke
02-02-2008, 06:32 PM
its gonna be an epic experience, by virtue of the location and song catalog.

no question its the show to see all weekend.

Death
02-02-2008, 06:37 PM

With every post you demonstrate your complete lack of musical knowledge. You are an imbecile. Your incessant complaining about a man who has contributed more to music than you could possible fathom, has gotten tiresome and pathetic. Don't go to Coachella. Stay away. You so obviously cannot comprehend the spirit behind this festival. Don't pollute us with your presence.

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 06:42 PM
If George Harrison, Paul McCartney, and Ringo Starr were all glorified studio musicians and Lennon was still alive this would be equivalent.

chucky canuck
02-02-2008, 06:54 PM
With every post you demonstrate your complete lack of musical knowledge. You are an imbecile. Your incessant complaining about a man who has contributed more to music than you could possible fathom, has gotten tiresome and pathetic. Don't go to Coachella. Stay away. You so obviously cannot comprehend the spirit behind this festival. Don't pollute us with your presence.

No...YOU shouldn't pollute us with your presence. You and the last great man are
1) unable to comprehend an old fart cashing in on songs written in part and performed in large part by others.
2) unaware of how much other members of Floyd contributed.

You both are the type to go see The Beach Boys and think "that Mike Love, he IS the Beach Boys".

You both are so desperate to cling to the past, you are part of the ignorant masses that would see The Doors with Ian Astubury, or a hundred other allegedly classic bands with key members long gone, rehashing old material with stand-ins.

Go back to 1972.

You know you want to.

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 06:58 PM
If you think anyone other than Brian Williams or Roger Waters made either of those bands great, you're a jerkoff.

Yablonowitz
02-02-2008, 06:59 PM
No...YOU shouldn't pollute us with your presence. You and the last great man are
1) unable to comprehend an old fart cashing in on songs written in part and performed in large part by others.
2) unaware of how much other members of Floyd contributed.

You both are the type to go see The Breach Boys and think "that Mike Love, he IS the Beach Boys"

Go back to 1972.

Roger Waters was the creative drive behind Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall and The Final Cut.

Gilmour's guitar playing and vocals will be missed, but this is still worth headliner status. The first headliner I've ever been excited about, since I didn't go until after Radiohead.

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Yabs, your sig is my favorite thing ever.

chucky canuck
02-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Roger Waters was the creative drive behind Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall and The Final Cut.

Gilmour's guitar playing and vocals will be missed, but this is still worth headliner status. The first headliner I've ever been excited about, since I didn't go until after Radiohead.

Half of Wish You Were Here is Shine On, which is built around Gilmour's guitar work.
If you check the writing credits of Dark Side, you'll see how all band members contributed.
The Final Crap was definitely all Waters.
As for The Wall, Gilmour made some of the best contributions. He wrote the music for Comfortably Numb. And his guitar work on songs like Run Like Hell and Another Brick Part II are brilliant.

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Gilmour did not write the music for Comfortably Numb. You're absolutely 100 percent wrong, as you have been previously. I wish you would shut up about Floyd.

chucky canuck
02-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Gilmour did not write the music for Comfortably Numb. You're absolutely 100 percent wrong, as you have been previously. I wish you would shut up about Floyd.

You're wrong. completely and utterly wrong.

Gilmour wrote the music while he was working on a solo album in 1978. He brought it to The Wall sessions and Waters wrote lyrics for it.

You can download Gilmour's demo below, and then admit to your error:

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/features/cnumb/

Yablonowitz
02-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Half of Wish You Were Here is Shine On, which is built around Gilmour's guitar work.
If you check the writing credits of Dark Side, you'll see how all band members contributed.
The Final Crap was definitely all Waters.
As for The Wall, Gilmour made some of the best contributions. He wrote the music for Comfortably Numb. And his guitar work on songs like Run Like Hell and Another Brick Part II are brilliant.

I'm not dismissing Gilmour's contribution, he's a fantastic guitar player and I liked the interplay between Waters' and Gilmour's voices on their albums, but this is still going to be a great show. I've been listening to Pink Floyd since I was about 9 or 10, over 20 some years and I know from what I've seen of Waters' recent performances, this will be an epic show.

If you listen to post-Waters "Pink Floyd" material, Waters creative contributions are obvious in both the poor lyrical quality and lack of cohesion of the albums. Far more tedious than any Pink Floyd albums. "The Final Cut" is their worst, but it's still better than anything the Gilmour Pink Floyd band made. And "Comfortably Numb" has Gilmour as a contributing writer, how much of the music do you know he contributed? Not that I care too much - the song is wonderful in melody and words.

If you're not excited about it, you'll get a jump on everyone else on your way home anyway. Win-win.

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 07:16 PM
He wrote some of the music for it. He has writing credits on three songs out of the whole album. I don't know why you keep making this argument.

chucky canuck
02-02-2008, 07:21 PM
He wrote some of the music for it. He has writing credits on three songs out of the whole album. I don't know why you keep making this argument.

Gilmour wrote the music while he was working on a solo album in 1978. He brought it to The Wall sessions and Waters wrote lyrics for it.

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Whatever. Awesome point. Gilmour actually wrote some of Pink Floyd's music. At least one song.

Yablonowitz
02-02-2008, 07:25 PM
That may be true of "Comfortably Numb," but not of the whole album. Plus, you just said that.

Yablonowitz
02-02-2008, 07:26 PM

Completely and utterly completely and utterly.

Yablonowitz
02-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Yabs, your sig is my favorite thing ever.

Your avatar and my sig would be a match made in heaven.

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Keymaster, meet Gatekeeper.

Yablonowitz
02-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Finally, I hope we can all agree that The Wall is itself an overwrought concept album compared to Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon, albeit with some good songs on it.

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Musically yeah, The Wall is inferior to those two. I love the concept behind it though, relate to it a lot.

microlovebeat
02-02-2008, 07:48 PM
i'm not sure if it's been posted or not, but Roger Waters is going to play dark side of the moon in its entirety on SNL tonight.

thinnerair
02-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Confession: I NEVER LIKED 'WELCOME TO THE MACHINE'

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 07:52 PM
I agree. Welcome To The Machine is a pain in the ass. That and the first EIGHT FUCKING MINUTES of Shine On are the only things that stop Wish from being listenable from beginning to end in total perfection.

thinnerair
02-02-2008, 07:54 PM
no. you shut up.
Shine on is brilliant...for all 16 minutes or whatever. brilliant!
Gilmour proves he probably has shit stains more talented than half the people on earth.

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Shine On is one of my favorite songs ever, but I can't listen to half of it, goddammit.

thinnerair
02-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Thats cuz you have ADD. Thats not Gilmour's fault.

thelastgreatman
02-02-2008, 07:59 PM
No, I blame Waters for it being 8 minutes too long.

brando4n82
02-03-2008, 07:08 AM

and never will be

brando4n82
02-03-2008, 07:10 AM
The Dark Side of the Moon spent 741 consecutive weeks (14 years) on the USA-based Billboard 200 album chart, the longest duration in history. It is also the fifth highest selling album globally of all time, selling more than forty million units.

who says its not headliner material?

im paying my respects on sunday under the desert sky....

fuck, what other 4 records could possible top that?

im guessing a michael jackkson and beatles album

myelectrolife
02-03-2008, 12:56 PM

Huh? What eles to musician do other then capitalize on thier famous music? Its kinda the nature of the beast.
Ill be there...

thelastgreatman
02-03-2008, 01:01 PM
fuck, what other 4 records could possible top that?

im guessing a michael jackkson and beatles album

Actually The Wall has outsold DSOTM, funnily enough. But DSOTM is not quite the fifth highest selling album of all time, although it is in the top ten.

Thriller has outsold the next highest selling album twice over--104 million to like 42 million.

sacleonard
02-03-2008, 02:26 PM
If you think anyone other than Brian Williams or Roger Waters made either of those bands great, you're a jerkoff.

What does the NBC news anchor have to do with the Beach Boys?

thelastgreatman
02-03-2008, 02:35 PM
What does the NBC news anchor have to do with the Beach Boys?

Hahaha, very good point. Brian Wilson. Okay, so maybe I'm not 100 percent sharp on acid.

sacleonard
02-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Hahaha, very good point. Brian Wilson. Okay, so maybe I'm not 100 percent sharp on acid.

LOL... couldn't resist.

thelastgreatman
02-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Can't blame you. I fucking KNEW there was something wrong with that as I was typing it last night.

thelastgreatman
02-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Oh, and to answer previous questions about what I think we're going to see in this Waters show that makes it different from last year's Dark Side Of The Moon Live tour, is I believe we're going to get a production closer in epicness to his The Wall tour from 1990. EDIT: Of course it's not going to be quite this huge, there were like over 100,000 people there I think. But I'm just saying it's NOT going to be the show he toured last year.

-OfD-n9iknY&feature=related

piggyechoes
02-03-2008, 07:57 PM
hey chuck, not all pink floyd fans were alive in 1972.

VirtualRog
02-06-2008, 06:52 PM

Ha ha...The Last Great Man is right on...you are partially correct, but only in the respect that Gilmour contributed a few parts of the song. I have Roger's demo of The Wall, along with the demo for The Final Cut, among others, and it's hard to believe two things:

One, that Roger's RAW demos are SO close to the final product.

Two, that Roger was able to create all that magicby himself.

I personally like his demos better than the final products, especially his version of "Not Now John" which is drugged-out and mind-blowing...not “Raving & Drooling” drugged-out and mind-blowing, but still an amazing vision.

Sure, his solo stuff had some problems...Pros and Cons is far too introspective and lyrical; well beyond the limits of most rock music fans...and KAOS is quite the opposite; far too commercial for most Floyd fans...Amused to Death is also problematic in the sense that it's WAY too wordy and slow...overly long and terribly freaking sad...but still an undeniable classic.

At the time The Wall was being built in Roger’s mind, the rest of the Floyd were doing absolutely nothing...Rick was a cocaine wastoid...Nick was busy with his race cars...Dave was doing what he does best: eating...while Roger was busy creating a classic record.

Sure, Dave fought like a brave to get Roger and Bob (Ezrin) to allow him to contribute anything...both Ezrin and Waters were initially reluctant to allow anyone else to contribute...but can you blame them? It was Roger’s baby all the way...and a major departure artistically from anything the Floyd had done in the past...it was a very commercial recording...and very accessible to the masses (is anyone here old enough to remember the Iranian Hostage Crisis? One news report from a major network on the crisis showed a vendor outside the walls of the compound selling cassette tapes...all the same tape...all packaged in a plain black cover...all with the same title: “Pink Floyd: The Wall”). For several months, The Wall was the Numero Uno record in the free world (and, evidently, even in the Third World).

To say Gilmour contributed anything more than a few solos and chords here-and-there is absolute rubbish.

Without Waters, The Wall never happens...or Animals...or Wish You Were Here...which is really the last group effort from the band. Roger’s contributions were the greatest, both musically and lyrically, but at least the other members contributed something to the final product besides a random solo or a suggestion.

The bottom line: Roger Waters IS Pink Floyd.

Don’t believe me? Fine.

Buy a ticket.
Go to the show.
Watch.
Listen.
Then remember this post.
I guarantee you will become a True Believer.

humanoid
02-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Ha ha...The Last Great Man is right on...you are partially correct, but only in the respect that Gilmour contributed a few parts of the song. I have Roger's demo of The Wall, along with the demo for The Final Cut, among others, and it's hard to believe two things:

I personally like his demos better than the final products, especially his version of "Not Now John" which is drugged-out and mind-blowing...not “Raving & Drooling” drugged-out and mind-blowing, but still an amazing vision.

Sure, his solo stuff had some problems...Pros and Cons is far too introspective and lyrical; well beyond the limits of most rock music fans...and KAOS is quite the opposite; far too commercial for most Floyd fans...Amused to Death is also problematic in the sense that it's WAY too wordy and slow...overly long and terribly freaking sad...but still an undeniable classic.

At the time The Wall was being built in Roger’s mind, the rest of the Floyd were doing absolutely nothing...Rick was a cocaine wastoid...Nick was busy with his race cars...Dave was doing what he does best: eating...while Roger was busy creating a classic record.

Sure, Dave fought like a brave to get Roger and Bob (Ezrin) to allow him to contribute anything...both Ezrin and Waters were initially reluctant to allow anyone else to contribute...but can you blame them? It was Roger’s baby all the way...and a major departure artistically from anything the Floyd had done in the past...it was a very commercial recording...and very accessible to the masses (is anyone here old enough to remember the Iranian Hostage Crisis? One news report from a major network on the crisis showed a vendor outside the walls of the compound selling cassette tapes...all the same tape...all packaged in a plain black cover...all with the same title: “Pink Floyd: The Wall”). For several months, The Wall was the Numero Uno record in the free world (and, evidently, even in the Third World).

To say Gilmour contributed anything more than a few solos and chords here-and-there is absolute rubbish.

Without Waters, The Wall never happens...or Animals...or Wish You Were Here...which is really the last group effort from the band. Roger’s contributions were the greatest, both musically and lyrically, but at least the other members contributed something to the final product besides a random solo or a suggestion.

Don’t believe me? Fine.

Buy a ticket.
Go to the show.
Watch.
Listen.
Then remember this post.

Nice to see someone who recognizes the true genius of Roger Waters

chucky canuck
02-07-2008, 05:50 AM

Don’t believe me? Fine.

Buy a ticket.
Go to the show.
Watch.
Listen.
Then remember this post.

No one person is Pink Floyd.

Gilmour co-wrote the best songs on The Wall, and wrote all the music for Comfortably Numb.

The best Floyd albums (WYWH, DSOTM, Meddle) were group efforts.

Gilmour's guitar work is essential to the Floyd sound. Much more so than the, um, bass (!?!)

Waters deserves credit for the big concepts and the vast majority of songwriting. But the best stuff was always group efforts.

No one person is Floyd.

VirtualRog
02-08-2008, 07:30 PM
No one person is Pink Floyd.

Gilmour co-wrote the best songs on The Wall, and wrote all the music for Comfortably Numb.

The best Floyd albums (WYWH, DSOTM, Meddle) were group efforts.

Gilmour's guitar work is essential to the Floyd sound. Much more so than the, um, bass (!?!)

Waters deserves credit for the big concepts and the vast majority of songwriting. But the best stuff was always group efforts.

No one person is Floyd.

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and Gilmour is a fine guitar player, Pink Floyd without Roger Waters is Air Supply on steroids and LSD.

chucky canuck
02-08-2008, 07:45 PM
While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and Gilmour is a fine guitar player, Pink Floyd without Roger Waters is Air Supply on steroids and LSD.

Well I wouldn't go as far as Air Supply, but I agree. There is no Pink Floyd without Waters.

There is also no Pink Floyd without Gilmour.

My point was, and remains, no one person is Pink Floyd.

If Waters wants to do DSOTM, he should start off by saying "these songs were written and performed largely by people who are not here tonight".

joppy-slow
02-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Oh, and to answer previous questions about what I think we're going to see in this Waters show that makes it different from last year's Dark Side Of The Moon Live tour, is I believe we're going to get a production closer in epicness to his The Wall tour from 1990. EDIT: Of course it's not going to be quite this huge, there were like over 100,000 people there I think. But I'm just saying it's NOT going to be the show he toured last year.

-OfD-n9iknY&feature=related

Roger's vocal sound like shit and the theatrics are lame. His back up band looks like they could be touring with RATT!!!!!!
Of course Roger Waters was the visionary behind Pink Floyd for many years.. but David is so much more of an amazing musician and singer now.. I would rather see David Gilmour with an acoustic guitar, vs. Roger try to hash out the Dark Side of the Moon with a bunch of back up singers and some big stage production.... here is a nice acoustic rendition of David playing 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond'..

pAkTC6EpSmQ

Is Roger going to get this guy to sing all the high notes for his show at Coachella? lame...

invo5D6SuBQ

sithlord
02-08-2008, 11:38 PM
you guys just don't get it. the show will be great. you're right, it's not pink floyd. the show will still be great.

it's ok, too, if you don't want to see him. tons of other stuff to do while roger's on the main stage. that way, those of us that WANT to see him can do so.

-T

Wheres the beef?
02-08-2008, 11:42 PM

Reading this post made me just randomly eat a bit of shrooms. Gonna play some Burnout now.

Wheres the beef?
02-08-2008, 11:45 PM
you guys just don't get it. the show will be great. you're right, it's not pink floyd. the show will still be great.

it's ok, too, if you don't want to see him. tons of other stuff to do while roger's on the main stage. that way, those of us that WANT to see him can do so.

-T

Please refrain from signing your posts in the above format. Only two people sign their posts here. One is fully the coolest dude you will ever meet and one is the biggest douche on the face of the planet. The way you sign your post is in the latter. So, in the future, you would be wise to discontinue signing your posts in the aformentioned format of "-" + "first letter first initial". We know who you are. You posted the post. If you need something more personalized use the signature function. kthnx

everlay
02-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Is Roger going to get this guy to sing all the high notes for his show at Coachella? lame...

invo5D6SuBQ

he's a talented chap, playing a left-handed strat, strong voice and a good-looker at that.

so why don't waters and gilmour tour together with the big pig in the concert skies, just for the uninitiated like myself?

Sonicifyouwantit
02-09-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm listening to Animal Collective, Why?, Xiu Xiu, Devendra Banhart, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Cat Power, Deerhoof etc. See Coachella 2006 basically. I don't listen to Jack Johnson, but he is tolerable. I don't understand all the hate. Why be pissed off anyway? It is so pointless to hate and be upset over this.

tape? the sound quality will be so diminished. do yourself a favor get a good recording you will not regret it

hotfoam
04-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Sorry to be an a-hole here, but did ANYONE bother to capture the Waters setlist? Will see him in Denver tomorrow night, have been browsing for a couple of days and can't beleive I haven't seen a setlist yet.

Much undying gratitude if anyone can point me to one...

shaggyduck
04-29-2008, 05:04 PM
You can actually get the setlist on Wikipedia. Just Google Dark Side of the Moon Tour. The set list was pretty close to what they have up there. I don't know if there were differences, but it was definitely close.