PDA

View Full Version : Good Things About The 2008 Line Up

wstsidela
01-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Love & Rockets, The Verve, and The Breeders reunions. That's worth the price of admission. Portishead too :thu

Parenthetical Boy
01-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Kraftwerk, Animal Collective, Justice, Malkmus, Mum, etc.

KatieLyn
01-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Death Cab baby =]
That's all I needed.

Claire Whitmore
01-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Roger Waters!!!!!

Death
01-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Fuck these people who are disappointed. This will be number six for me and I am just as excited about Fatboy Slim, Portishead, and Roger Waters as I have been in the past. People are never satisfied. Goldenvoice would have to top itself every year for some people to stop complaining. It's not about getting the biggest bands you can everyday and squeezing people into a festival. It's about diversity and fun. Dark Side of the Moon at the polo fields? Anyone who thinks that won't be worth it is unreachable. Those of us that go will have a great fucking time. Fuck those that try to diminish that.

Leckie
01-21-2008, 06:11 PM
death cab so i can cry about the lineup

deeznutz
01-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Battles, Aesop Roc, Midnight Juggernauts, Spank Rock, Diplo, Cut Copy, Dan Deaon, Busy P, The Bees, MODESELEKTOR, Portishead, Kraftwerk, Boyz Noise, Erol Alkan, Hot Chip, MIA, Institubes DJS, James Zabiela, SEbastiAn, Kavinsky,Uffie, Justice, The Streets, Danny Tenaglia, Simian Mobile Disco, Booka Shade, Murs, Dimitri From Paris, Sia, Roger Waters, & Deadmau5.

This is why, this is why, this why I'm hot.

deeznutz on Jack Johnsons chin.

http://boingboing.net/images/Unicorn-and-Foal-Print-C10055158.jpeg

insbordnat
01-21-2008, 06:12 PM
amen

pocket
01-21-2008, 06:14 PM
it just seems like everyband already came through the LA area in the last year, making the lineup very, well boring. plus roger waters did 3 nights at the bowl and a night in irvine (yeah i went to one at the bowl and in irvine) so its just kinda a eh' lineup. the breeders are awesome (but i went and saw them at the second city in chicago in december) so all there is to be excited about for me is the verve.... sigh

KatieLyn
01-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Also, the more people who bitch about a crappy lineup and threaten to just not go, means more tickets for us =]

PrettyRagdoll
01-21-2008, 06:16 PM
There are a lot of good bands playing. But like pocket said, most have been doing shows in LA for the past year. Still going for the few who haven't... But it's just definitely not an OMG THE LINEUP! year

GTI_GRL
01-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Also, the more people who bitch about a crappy lineup and threaten to just not go, means more tickets for us =]

You only need one ticket to get in, it's not like other places.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/zonker25/holy_cow.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e254/rtrottie/fatchicksonaplane.jpg

Proadict
01-21-2008, 06:47 PM
ROGER WATERS!!! GOGOL, FLOGGING MOLLY, CAFE TACUBA, RACOUNTERS THE HORRORS
DAAAAAAAAAAAMN IAM SO HAPPY!!!!!!
Really
im a big fan of pink floyd and waters, so THANK YOU COACHELLA, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps: jack jhonson sucks

g0k1ngsg0
01-21-2008, 06:48 PM
I fear a Love and Rockets / Roger Waters conflict and it makes me sad.

deeznutz
01-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Don't worry, Roger Waters and Justice will be conflicting. Thus creating a parallel universe where...

run free.

deeznutz
01-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Good thing...

can bring me back in time. That way I won't miss Dark Side or Cross.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Good things about the lineup? All things Sahara.

fatbastard
01-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Finally..a thread with my peeps. Who's got the time and mentality to sit on a computer and complain? I personally had an issue with the line up announcement but it was worth the wait. My personal favorite: Madness! Man are those old dudes gonna rock the stage.

nocigarettes
01-21-2008, 07:03 PM
kraftwerk, sia, fatboy slim, erol alkan, sharon jones & the dap kings, sasha & digweed

AbundantChoice
01-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Hot Chip and Gogol Bordello coming back means 2 of my top 3 2007 coachella performers are coming back.

Midnight Juggernauts are gonna surprise alot of people too.

Madness too!

rkawar
01-21-2008, 07:07 PM
the whole sahara tent is gunna rape my head. Plus, portishead. imagine this. you're in th sahara tent most of saturday. night time rolls around sun falls and you go over to the main stage to watch beth sing glory box with a giant orchestra. your body chills and calms down and enjoys th cool night sky. THEN KFAFTWORK COMES OUT WITH ROBOTS AND CRAZY LIGHTS AND FUCKS YOU UP.

how is this not perfect?

Ginger Kid
01-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Devotchka and Gogol will be the shit!

Even the Raconteurs and Vampire Weekend will make Friday worthwhile.

jsidney
01-21-2008, 07:17 PM
People are just drinking too much haterade. I don't like Jack Johnson, nor do I plan to watch him. Somehow, his presence doesn't ruin the entire festival experience for me. I am very happy with the headliners the other two nights, and rest of the lineup is solid throughout (MGMT? Animal Collective? The Cinematic Orchestra? Murs? Autolux? heeeeeeeeeellllo). Beyond all that, I expect that ending the weekend with The Dark Side of the Moon will be truly magical.

sesamesteve
01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm really, really excited for Gogol Bordello, My Morning Jacket, Aesop Rock, Roger Waters playing dark side of the moon is going to be mind blowing.

I can't wait.

woogie846
01-21-2008, 07:20 PM
http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/081607/haterade-scientist.gif

karecares
01-21-2008, 07:20 PM
i'm doing a very quick run on the myspace links for the bands that i don't know and I'm pleasantly surprised by what i'm hearing. Part of the beauty of coachella for me is discovering stuff i haven't had the pleasure of hearing yet. This is like having homework i like doing :)

DRUNKOFFBREASTMILK
01-21-2008, 07:22 PM
the breastmilk

chiapet
01-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Hot Chip and Gogol Bordello coming back means 2 of my top 3 2007 coachella performers are coming back.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person thinking that... those were definitely two of the best last year.

Daft Fro
01-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Man, its still fucking Coachella.

I expect rad experiences for those who are rad about this.

I get to see Gogol and Hot Chip (missed them last year). This is good.

schoolofruckus
01-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Kraftwerk
Animal Collective
Portishead
Roger Waters
Battles
Mum
The National
120 Days
Man Man
Death Cab for Cutie
Swell Season
Gogol Bordello
Chromeo
Fatboy Slim

Somewhat Damaged
01-21-2008, 07:26 PM
My biggest concern is that Sasha & Digweed, whom I've been wanting to see for 6 years, are going to conflict with either Portishead or Kraftwerk. And yeah, there are quite a few acts who I've gotten to see in town over the past year, but I enjoyed most of those performances and look forward to seeing them again with a Coachella crowd (provided that they don't conflict with someone who I haven't already seen and am looking forward to). I got disappointed with the line-up the last 2 years and wound up calling each festival my favorite Coachella ever once the weekend was done. I'm optimistic about this year's chances.

murmur
01-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Kraftwerk
Spiritualized
Dredg
Portishead
Roger Waters
The Verve
My Morning Jacket
Animal Collective
Minus the Bear
Mum
Death Cab For Cutie

jaysocal
01-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Good things about the lineup...

http://www.coachella.com/images/mainPoster.jpg

I think its a SOLID lineup! Hurrah!

Daft Fro
01-21-2008, 07:32 PM
You've been waiting 6 years for Sasha & Digweed? They DJ like a lot..

jaysocal
01-21-2008, 07:33 PM

They don't DJ a lot together...They DJ a lot individually. I think Together as One in Los Angeles (12/31/07) was one of the few recent times I have seen them together.

Honestly tho, Sasha and Digweed are rather boring...a long way away from what they used to be.

kroqken
01-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Hot Chip was amazing last year so those of you who missed it are in for a real treat this year. I am also excited about Madness, I have liked them since I was a kid.

g0k1ngsg0
01-21-2008, 07:36 PM
here are my picks in no particular order

Friday
the Verve
Raconteurs
Breeders
Fatboy Slim
MADNESS
Slightly Stoopid
Aesop Rock
Arch in Helsinki
Rogue Wave

Saturday
Portishead
Kraftwerk
Flogging Molly
Calvin Harris
Boyz Noise
Junkie XL
Cinematic Orchestra
MGMT
120 days
Yoav

Sunday
Roger Waters
Love and Rockets (please don't conflict with DSOTM)
Gogol
Simian Mobile Disco
Murs
Booka Shade
I'm from Barcelona
Manchester Orchestra
Austin TV

I'm also checking out the links in th news sectin and liking what I hear... and I'm only on 'D'

Westy
01-21-2008, 07:37 PM
After reading it a few times I'm starting to get excited about it.

Looking forward to:

The Verve
The Streets
Portishead
MIA
Justice
Boys Noize
Hot Chip
Roger Waters
The Horrors
Madness
SMD
Kraftwerk

The only thing that is really messing up the look of the poster is Jack Johnson at the top. It makes it look weak.

wstsidela
01-21-2008, 07:37 PM
OMG, I totally missed Madness!!!!!!

They're gonna rip a hole in the sky with ONE STEP BEYOND!!!!

Moe Train
01-21-2008, 07:39 PM
There are some EXCELLENT electronica acts on this year's bill. I'm also pumped to see that The Streets will be there. Mike's the man!

bludevil007
01-21-2008, 07:39 PM
add Beck on Friday

the White Stripes on Tuesday

and the Flaming Lips on Sunday

and suddenly you have an amazing festival. im going regardless, but i'm just saying - it's true.

redikulaus
01-21-2008, 07:43 PM
After waiting all day for this, I was a little disappointed at first. Now I think that this a great line up!!

Moe Train
01-21-2008, 07:47 PM
the White Stripes on Tuesday

I doubt that Meg would be up for it...

bludevil007
01-21-2008, 07:53 PM
wow, i must be drunk

i meant white stripes on saturday, not tuesday

but ya, i get your point

Somewhat Damaged
01-21-2008, 07:55 PM

Not in Arizona. (Actually, Digweed played at a club in Phoenix last year with MSTRKRFT, but it was in the middle of the week, as most good shows in Arizona are, and I was thus unable to make it.)

kroqken
01-21-2008, 07:56 PM
I am also excited about Metric, I saw them a couple of years ago and they were amazing.

tripcalifornia
01-21-2008, 08:00 PM
See, I just don't get this "Love and Rockets" thing...I mean, didn't they have that one song "I'm alive" in the early 90's? I thought they were a one hit wonder. Anyone got opinions or knowledge of their current stuff?

matthew_AZ
01-21-2008, 08:05 PM
I have a feeling that they are going to announce the three true headliners tomorrow, as the surprise Tollet was sort of hinting at.

If you look at the last two posters, the second line on each day is filled with three artists, this year it's only two. Hopefully all the bands on the top slide down to fill those third spots.

wishful thinking.

wstsidela
01-21-2008, 08:05 PM
See, I just don't get this "Love and Rockets" thing...I mean, didn't they have that one song "I'm alive" in the early 90's? I thought they were a one hit wonder. Anyone got opinions or knowledge of their current stuff?

They're awesome. Express is a classic. Check it out on iTunes.

chiapet
01-21-2008, 08:09 PM

By "one hit wonder", do you mean, "had several solid albums and one weaker album that had the song you mentioned"? Just because a band doesn't chart Top 40 doesn't mean you should write them off as a "one hit wonder." Check out earth sun moon and then express. Nothing "current" yet that I know of.

outof_nowhere
01-21-2008, 08:17 PM
portishead and simian mobile disco are my most anticipated acts...

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-21-2008, 08:20 PM
portishead and simian mobile disco are my most anticipated acts...

Portishead, M.I.A., Hot Chip, Kraftwerk, Fatboy, Cafe Tacuba, Justice, SMD, Les Savy Fav and Vampire Weekend!!!!!!!

We def need more rock acts though. Heavier I mean.

Boourns
01-21-2008, 08:21 PM
ASOBI SEKSU! Oh wait, nevermind...

Portishead
Metric
The Verve
Justice
Islands
Akron/Family
St. Vincent

sesamesteve
01-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Gogol and Hot Chip since I completely missed Gogol and only saw the last five minutes of Hot Chip.

crazzz2007
01-21-2008, 08:33 PM
There are some EXCELLENT electronica acts on this year's bill. I'm also pumped to see that The Streets will be there. Mike's the man!

electronica? what are you talking about?

deeznutz
01-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Ya'll should just be happy Justice is coming back fully supported by Ed Bangers and...

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/9026/1138975854624fm0.gif

laineinla
01-21-2008, 09:20 PM
i will admit, as a 5-time attendee, i have my share of gripes abut this year's lineup (no discounted 3-day pass, no "holy cow wow" headliners for me except for portishead, too many repeats, and i have seen WAY more than a handful of these folks already - noted in asterisks below ;)

but that being said...there's more than enough to make it totally more than worth my time/hard-earned money! :)

animal collective
stars
minus the bear
spank rock
architecture in helsinki* (guaranteed good times)
busy p*
portishead
kraftwerk
dcfc*
cafe tacuba*
sasha + digweed*
rilo kiley*
MIA (!!!!!!!!)
hot chip
stephen malkmus*
islands
sebastian/kavinsky*
my morning jacket*
justice*
gogol bordello
metric*
simian mobile disco
murs
les savy sav
sia (pleeeeease put her set on at sunset!)
kid sister w/a-trak
i'm from barcelona

plus a slew of bands i've been meaning to check out more- battles, datarock, new young pony club, the bird and the bee, sons and daughters, the annuals, vampire weekend, etc. etc.

just my 2 cents

wstsidela
01-22-2008, 02:42 AM
I'm still going.

M Sparks
01-22-2008, 05:21 AM
I fear a Love and Rockets / Roger Waters conflict and it makes me sad.

I'm more worried about Gogol closing Outdoor Theater opposite Waters. No brainer for me (Gogol), but my wife's head would explode.

jonprc
01-22-2008, 05:41 AM
i'm real excited. 2 headliners aside, it's gonna be a great weekend:

friday:
the verve
racanteurs
the breeders
tegan and sarah
madness
animal collective
sharon jones
battles
aesop rock
does it offend you yea?
spank rock! missed them last year for rage.
diplo!
santogold!
jens lenkman
vampire weekend
dan deacon
architecture in helsinki
datarock

saturday:
portishead
kraftwerk
death cab(eh, kinda)
rilo kiley
dwight yoakham
m.i.a.
hot chip
cold war kids
malkmus
mark ronson
boys noise
bonde do role
st vincent
akron family
sebastian
kavinsky
bird and the bee
new young pony club
uffie

sunday:
love and rockets
spiritualized
justice
gogol
chromeo
the streets
simian mobile disco
murs
dimitri from paris
les savy fav
sons and daughters
holy fuck
kid sister
shout out louds

damn. glad i rented a house this year, i'm gonna need the good sleep.

Memorial_07
01-22-2008, 05:51 AM
Friday:
The Verve
The Breeders
Madness
Fatboy Slim
Slightly Stoopid
Pendulum
Does It Offend You, Yeah?
Adam Freeland
Spank Rock
Aesop Rock

Saturday:
Portishead
Kraftwerk
Rilo Kiley
M.I.A.
Turbonegro
DeVotchKa
Cold War Kids
Flogging Molly
Junkie XL
Dredg
Kavinsky
Enter Shikari
Scars On Broadway
Cold War Kids

Sunday:
Roger Waters (maybe)
My Morning Jacket
Justice
Gogol Bordello
Simian Mobile Disco
Murs
Holy Fuck
The Horrors.

This is who I plan on seeing.

M Sparks
01-22-2008, 06:36 AM

Their last album was in '98. They are the JAMC of this year...a major reunion, but not a mindblower.

But really far from a "one hit wonder". If you listen to XM Fred ("classic alternative") or whatever Sirius' equivalent is, you'll hear 10 or 12 L+R songs in pretty heavy rotation. Off the top of my head, "All In My Mind", "Ball Of Confusion", "No New Tale To Tell", "Mirror People", "Kundalini Express", "No Big Deal", maybe "Motorcycle" "Dog End Of A Day Gone By" & "Sweet Lover Hangover" every once in a while.

"So Alive" was probably their only actual "hit single" in America, but they were a staple on late night MTV and in late 80's goth kids cassette collections.

Add in the fact that they are 3/4ths of Bauhaus, 2/3rds of them were in Tones On Tail, David and Daniel's solo albums...they're totally worthy of their slot, though I thought they'd be 3rd or 4th.

MrSheen
01-22-2008, 08:16 AM
seems that there's a lot of bands that ive not heard of which is good, because i like surprises...:) also, I'm now excited about who will be announced over the coming months...i remember checking the site hourly last year to see who'd been added to the poster...it all adds to the enjoyment!!

oh, and how come I've never heard of Love & Rockets when they come from over here and they're right up there on the bill!! seems strange! are they big in the states or something? they seem a bit average to me on first listen

M Sparks
01-22-2008, 08:51 AM
oh, and how come I've never heard of Love & Rockets when they come from over here and they're right up there on the bill!! seems strange! are they big in the states or something? they seem a bit average to me on first listen

(SIGH)

1)No, they were never "big" over here. I don't know how "big" they were in the UK, but I'm sure it was more than the US. I'm guessing you're just young. It's been 10 years since they released an album.

2)They are probably billed higher than they would be by virtue of their body of work, rather than just Love & Rockets career. And the absence makes a difference as well.

If three random guys had formed Love + Rockets, released the exact same music, and then kept touring for the last 10 years, they would probably fall under "has-been" status. But they are three underground semi-legends, and people haven't seen a Love + Rockets show in a long time. That elevates their status.

Honestly, if there was a Coachella 1990, they would have been on the 3rd or 4th line.

3) Try "Express" or "Earth Sun Moon". I know a few guys who swear "Sweet FA" was a great album, but those are the only two albums I come back to regularly.

elChurro
01-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Not in any particular order...

Portishead, cold war kids, mark ronson, my morning jacket, danny tenaglia, autolux, the annuals, kraftwerk

...gonna browse some of the bands i've never heard of, you know the ones in tiny script. I'm sure there's something worthwhile.

Kevin Figueroa
01-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Battles Battles Battles!

Watch Them, There Incredible Live!

+Animal Collective, Justice, M.I.A, Portishead, NYPC, Death Cab, SEBASTIAN,
Busy P, All GOOD ACTS!

+Way More, Im Pretty Stoked.

Jack Johnson, Makes Me Laugh hahaha,
I Expected Like The Cure, Or Like At Least Nine Inch Nails Or Something.

M Sparks
01-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Makes Me Laugh hahaha

Do you really laugh like that?

luckyface
01-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Besides there being some really good bands... no Perry Farrell!

tripcalifornia
01-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Their last album was in '98. They are the JAMC of this year...a major reunion, but not a mindblower.

But really far from a "one hit wonder". If you listen to XM Fred ("classic alternative") or whatever Sirius' equivalent is, you'll hear 10 or 12 L+R songs in pretty heavy rotation. Off the top of my head, "All In My Mind", "Ball Of Confusion", "No New Tale To Tell", "Mirror People", "Kundalini Express", "No Big Deal", maybe "Motorcycle" "Dog End Of A Day Gone By" & "Sweet Lover Hangover" every once in a while.

Thank you a thousand times for this info! My curiousity is pretty high now, gonna check them out now that I've got specific song titles :)
Seriously, really appreciated :)

tripcalifornia
01-22-2008, 11:06 AM
By "one hit wonder", do you mean, "had several solid albums and one weaker album that had the song you mentioned"? Just because a band doesn't chart Top 40 doesn't mean you should write them off as a "one hit wonder." Check out earth sun moon and then express. Nothing "current" yet that I know of.

That's why I said "I THOUGHT" they were a one hit wonder...I had just not heard their name mentioned other than that one song. My music tastes go far far far beyond what ends up on the top 40

M Sparks
01-22-2008, 11:48 AM
gonna check them out now that I've got specific song titles :)

I forgot "Haunted When The Minutes Drag."

higgybaby23
01-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Most excited for:

Friday - Battles, Midnight Juggernauts, the Breeders, Diplo

Saturday - Portishead, Kraftwerk, M.I.A. Mark Ronson

Sunday - Simian Mobile Disco, Chromeo, the Streets

Despite all the negativity, this year's lineup is great. This will be my third year and my only disappointment is no Goldfrapp.

Jankster
01-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Plenty of room to walk around
No riots in the campground
Shorter lines at the bathrooms

I actually dig the lineup and I am glad its not full of radio-friendly acts. I saw Roger Waters' Dark Side of the Moon show (twice) and it is freakin amazing.

MrSheen
01-22-2008, 01:09 PM
(SIGH)

1)No, they were never "big" over here. I don't know how "big" they were in the UK, but I'm sure it was more than the US. I'm guessing you're just young. It's been 10 years since they released an album.

2)They are probably billed higher than they would be by virtue of their body of work, rather than just Love & Rockets career. And the absence makes a difference as well.

Is 29 young? i like to think it is :) well, I've been into guitar music since i was 12 or something and have never come across these guys...dont think they were ever very big over here to be honest. never read about em in any of the uk music rags. regardless of how big or old they are, not really my cuppa tea! :)

g0k1ngsg0
01-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm more worried about Gogol closing Outdoor Theater opposite Waters. No brainer for me (Gogol), but my wife's head would explode.

I've seen Gogol twice, and I've never seen any floyd incarnation, so it's a no brainer for me as well, but in teh opposite direction.

RockStr4Life
01-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Kraftwerk
Spiritualized
Dredg
Portishead
Roger Waters
The Verve
My Morning Jacket
Animal Collective
Minus the Bear
Mum
Death Cab For Cutie

pretty much right on...im actually excited for jack johnson...not really as a headliner but whatever life goes on

RockStr4Life
01-22-2008, 01:47 PM
oh yeah and gogol are just epic

Courtney
01-22-2008, 01:58 PM
The Breeders
The National
Animal Collective
Portishead
Stephen Malkmus
St. Vincent
Spiritualized
Les Savy Fav

stewboss
01-22-2008, 02:05 PM
I always think that the unique bands/artists are the ones that draw me to the festival. So right now I'd say the really good things about the lineup are:

- The Verve
- Kraftwerk
- Carbon/Silicon
- Spiritualized
- Roger Waters

And there are always great (and sometimes better) surprises once you get there.