PDA

View Full Version : Erol Alkan.....YES!!!!

crazzz2007
01-21-2008, 05:57 PM
i'm very excited for this.

sddoctor
01-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Yeah, one of my must-see acts this year. I'm listening to his '07 Global Gathering set again. Can't Wait!

Robototron
01-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Yawn. Like I said, Erol would've been exciting if he'd played last year like Coachella originally announced. Of course if he played then most of this board would've had no idea who he is, but that's not really the point.

orbit
01-21-2008, 06:07 PM
I bet he will make the tent dance a lot, but cmon.. more of the same?

I'll probably watch him, if there's not anything else to see.

sddoctor
01-21-2008, 06:09 PM
It would have been a much better fit for 2006, i think, when he was starting to get the big buzz. I know they announced his name on the initial lineup for 2007, but having him now is great by me. I still think he is one of the better dj's out there now.

crazzz2007
01-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Yawn. Like I said, Erol would've been exciting if he'd played last year like Coachella originally announced. Of course if he played then most of this board would've had no idea who he is, but that's not really the point.

have you seen him? i haven't. so how the fuck can he be any less exciting?

some people are just born idiots.

jtovar21
01-21-2008, 06:16 PM
This will be Erol Alkan's coming out party then for most. He's definitely one of the better djs out right now. I am sure he's going to gain some fans after this his set, people usually bring their "A" game to Coachella.

Robototron
01-21-2008, 06:17 PM
have you seen him? i haven't. so how the fuck can he be any less exciting?

some people are just born idiots.

Yeah, I have, obviously. And I've heard some of his DJ sets over the past few months. And I've seen countless DJs play basically the same shit he does night in and night out.

So, yes, it's far less exciting.

crazzz2007
01-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I have, obviously. And I've heard some of his DJ sets over the past few months. And I've seen countless DJs play basically the same shit he does night in and night out.

So, yes, it's far less exciting.

maybe less exciting for you. but most people don't care about you. erol alkan sets are pretty rare in the US. so your argument fails.

Robototron
01-21-2008, 06:23 PM
maybe less exciting for you. but most people don't care about you. erol alkan sets are pretty rare in the US. so your argument fails.

Yeah, my argument obviously fails because Erol never comes to the US. Despite the fact that some of us actually, you know, travel, the fact that his sets are easy to find all over the net, and the fact that there are a million US DJs who are basically Erol Alkan lite. But, yeah, you're right, I'm such an idiot.

crazzz2007
01-21-2008, 06:29 PM
99% of people that will attend coachella have not seen erol alkan.

do you understand math? that means out of 100 people, only 1 have seen him. that means that 99 out of 100 have not seen him. that means this is a very rare appearance in the US. that means lots of people will see him for the first time.

and who gives a fuck about downloading some set? it's like saying, i've heard daft punk on mp3, what's the point of seeing them live?

and yes, I am right. you are an idiot.

Robototron
01-21-2008, 06:40 PM
99% of people that will attend coachella have not seen erol alkan.

do you understand math? that means out of 100 people, only 1 have seen him. that means that 99 out of 100 have not seen him. that means this is a very rare appearance in the US. that means lots of people will see him for the first time.

and who gives a fuck about downloading some set? it's like saying, i've heard daft punk on mp3, what's the point of seeing them live?

and yes, I am right. you are an idiot.

So do you just not understand what an opinion is, or what? I've seen him before, I don't give a fuck if you haven't. If most people don't care about me, I don't care about most people.

Where the fuck do you even get off telling me who at Coachella has seen or heard what? We've already established that, since you're such a fan of statistics, 99% of this very board is WAY behind when it comes to music like this, so maybe you're not the best judge of what's popular and what isn't?

And my point about his sets is that we've heard it all before. Alive 2007, and most live shows, are fun because you expect to hear something a little different than on record. Even if I'd listened to Alive 2007 a billion times, I'd still go because I know it's going to fucking rule, and it won't be the same as listening to the CD. What's the point of going to see some big name DJ stand behind a pair of decks and play a bunch of songs I've heard a million times before, from him and from other people? It just gets tiring. When you see band and their live show is just like their album, don't you feel cheated?

Wheres the beef?
01-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Yeah, my argument obviously fails because Erol never comes to the US. Despite the fact that some of us actually, you know, travel, the fact that his sets are easy to find all over the net, and the fact that there are a million US DJs who are basically Erol Alkan lite. But, yeah, you're right, I'm such an idiot.

Who is an Erol Alkan lite?

crazzz2007
01-21-2008, 06:43 PM
So do you just not understand what an opinion is, or what? I've seen him before, I don't give a fuck if you haven't. If most people don't care about me, I don't care about most people.

Where the fuck do you even get off telling me who at Coachella has seen or heard what? We've already established that, since you're such a fan of statistics, 99% of this very board is WAY behind when it comes to music like this, so maybe you're not the best judge of what's popular and what isn't?

And my point about his sets is that we've heard it all before. Alive 2007, and most live shows, are fun because you expect to hear something a little different than on record. Even if I'd listened to Alive 2007 a billion times, I'd still go because I know it's going to fucking rule, and it won't be the same as listening to the CD. What's the point of going to see some big name DJ stand behind a pair of decks and play a bunch of songs I've heard a million times before, from him and from other people? It just gets tiring. When you see band and their live show is just like they're album, don't a feel cheated?

you are a fucking moron. almost no one in the US has seen Erol Alkan, yet you argue that we have all heard it? you're a dumbass. plain and simple.

i tried to break it down for you in very simple terms in my last post. i figured that even a moron like you would understand. sorry, i guess i underestimated the depths of your stupidity.

insbordnat
01-21-2008, 06:45 PM
why do you think he'd be complacent and just play old tracks? do you know something we don't?

yeah, I would have liked to see him play last year. but that's not taking anything away from this year.

Robototron
01-21-2008, 06:50 PM
you are a fucking moron. almost no one in the US has seen Erol Alkan, yet you argue that we have all heard it? you're a dumbass. plain and simple.

i tried to break it down for you in very simple terms in my last post. i figured that even a moron like you would understand. sorry, i guess i underestimated the depths of your stupidity.

Thanks for insulting me three times in one post, obviously I was too stupid to get it the first time. Does it make you feel like a big boy to spend half your post talking about the depths of my stupidity?

You should work on your reading comprehension a bit. We've all heard it because the style of music he plays is played the fuck out. Is there something about that statement that you're not understanding? There are a lot of DJs playing the same music that he does. So we've heard it. And if you have such a problem with me using we (you don't seem to have trouble speaking for everyone, though), just substitute I, since you seem to have trouble comprehending that I don't actually speak for every Coachella attendee on the fucking planet when I say "we." Some of us have actually seen HIM play. So we've heard it. Some of us have heard his sets, maybe on the radio, maybe over the internet. So we've heard it.

Do you understand now, or should I have tossed in a few more you're a morons and fuck yous?

crazzz2007
01-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks for insulting me three times in one post, obviously I was too stupid to get it the first time. Does it make you feel like a big boy to spend half your post talking about the depths of my stupidity?

You should work on your reading comprehension a bit. We've all heard it because the style of music he plays is played the fuck out. Is there something about that statement that you're not understanding? There are a lot of DJs playing the same music that he does. So we've heard it. And if you have such a problem with me using we (you don't seem to have trouble speaking for everyone, though), just substitute I, since you seem to have trouble comprehending that I don't actually speak for every Coachella attendee on the fucking planet when I say "we." Some of us have actually seen HIM play. So we've heard it. Some of us have heard his sets, maybe on the radio, maybe over the internet. So we've heard it.

Do you understand now, or should I have tossed in a few more you're a morons and fuck yous?

sorry, but i don't care about some pathetic djs who copied erol's style. i and most people want to see the real thing. stop digging a bigger hole for yourself.

i think you should just stop posting.

Robototron
01-21-2008, 06:56 PM
sorry, but i don't care about some pathetic djs who copied erol's style. i and most people want to see the real thing. stop digging a bigger hole for yourself.

Do you not understand how trends work? Ok, allow me to explain:

1. A DJ, say, Erol Alkan, begins playing a certain style of music.
2. Other, lesser DJs begin to spin similar music.
3. Said style of music becomes boring and overplayed.
4. Now, when the original DJ comes to town to play, you're less likely to see him. Not because he's a shitty DJ, but because you're tired of hearing the same style of music, thanks to the above shitty DJs.

When trucker caps got big (just using an example that someone like you will probably understand), no one said to themselves "Well, I guess it'll still be cool if I wear the real deal." They said, "Shit, look at all these assholes in trucker caps. I better not wear mine."

crazzz2007
01-21-2008, 06:58 PM

4. Now, when the original DJ comes to town to play, you're less likely to see him. Not because he's a shitty DJ, but because you're tired of hearing the same style of music, thanks to the above shitty DJs.

When trucker caps got big (just using an example that someone like you will probably understand), no one said to themselves "Well, I guess it'll still be cool if I wear the real deal." They said, "Shit, look at all these assholes in trucker caps. I better not wear mine."

i don't listen to shitty djs. do you?

Robototron
01-21-2008, 06:59 PM
i don't listen to shitty djs. do you?

I'm getting a little annoyed having to explain such obvious logic to you, so I'm going to accept that you are either completely retarded or you live in a bubble. Pick whichever you like more.

crazzz2007
01-21-2008, 07:02 PM

you dumb piece of shit. you're entire argument is based on listening to shitty dj's who copy good dj's, and thus getting bored of said style of the good dj.

in other words, you must listen to the shitty stuff in order to get tired of the style.

in other words, you listen to shitty dj's, you dumb mother fucker.

can i explain it in any simpler terms?

please don't answer. i will not respond any longer. i feel like i'm having an argument with a rock.

Robototron
01-21-2008, 07:03 PM
you dumb piece of shit. you're entire argument is based on listening to shitty dj's who copy good dj's, and thus getting bored of said style of the good dj.

in other words, you must listen to the shitty stuff in order to get tired of the style.

in other words, you listen to shitty dj's, you dumb mother fucker.

can i explain it in any simpler terms?

please don't answer. i will not respond any longer. i feel like i'm having an argument with a rock.

Christ, this is like I just said "you shut up," and you responded, "No, YOU shut up!"

insbordnat
01-21-2008, 07:04 PM

By that logic, you really are just a fickle listener that has no loyalty to any DJs. Everyone rips everyone off. But does that mean I'm going to stop listening? Nah, I give a DJ many chances to prove him (or her) self. After a few tickets, same shit, no creativity, etc., then I throw in the towel.

But seriously man, just because some tard rips you off doesn't mean you should lose listeners. Unless you don't mix it up. And I don't think Alkan is even close to that point.

Robototron
01-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Who is an Erol Alkan lite?

To answer your question, guys like Steve Aoki, DJ AM, etc. Basically 95% of these local DJs on the Electro House scene sprung up when they heard an Erol Alkan set. Also, a lot of the artists associated with this scene, guys like Justice, MSTRKFT, etc., are playing the same tracks as him. Those two together = shit getting old.

crazzz2007
01-21-2008, 07:06 PM
To answer your question, guys like Steve Aoki, DJ AM, etc. Basically 95% of these local DJs on the Electro House scene sprung up when they heard an Erol Alkan set. Also, a lot of the artists associated with this scene, guys like Justice, MSTRKFT, etc., are playing the same tracks as him. Those two together = shit getting old.

PROVES MY POINT. Why the fuck would you ever listen to Aoki, AM, etc?

Shit, I wasn't supposed to respond, couldn't help myself. I will log off now.

Robototron
01-21-2008, 07:08 PM
By that logic, you really are just a fickle listener that has no loyalty to any DJs. Everyone rips everyone off. But does that mean I'm going to stop listening? Nah, I give a DJ many chances to prove him (or her) self. After a few tickets, same shit, no creativity, etc., then I throw in the towel.

I don't have any loyalty to anyone. Uh, why should I?

I don't think everyone rips anyone off. You can still play this kind of music without sounding like every DJ out there. I, for example, really like the Institubes guys. Yeah, the play a lot of the same tracks as most DJs in this scene, but it's different enough to the point where it isn't boring. You know what I mean? They're still part of the scene, but there's some definite diversity there.

A lot of DJs play the same tracks. It's going to happen. But I think when it's a scene as tiny and shallow (in terms of new music, diversity, etc.) as Electro House or whatever you want to call it is, it can be tiring.

orbit
01-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Mr Oizo ftw.

Robototron
01-21-2008, 07:10 PM
PROVES MY POINT. Why the fuck would you ever listen to Aoki, AM, etc?

Shit, I wasn't supposed to respond, couldn't help myself. I will log off now.

Way to ignore the second part of my post. Talk about hearing what you want to hear.

thedevious
01-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Never seen Erol and I am very happy. Had I already seen him I'm near certain I would still be happy.

I don't listen to or go to clubs with shitty d j's.

Robototron
01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Never seen Erol and I am very happy. Had I already seen him I'm near certain I would still be happy.

I don't listen to or go to clubs with shitty d j's.

Do you also happen to live under a rock? Nah, jokes aside, I'm happy that you're happy! Honestly, I hope you have fun.

I just think it's sort of cute how crazzzzzzzzzzzzz rails against posters here for worshiping groups like Justice, but gets excited over Erol Alkan.

deeznutz
01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
http://boingboing.net/images/Unicorn-and-Foal-Print-C10055158.jpeg

APPROVED BY UNICORNS EVERYWHERE!

a-noize
01-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Chemical is very likely to headline the Sahara Tent since they been promoting their new album. I hope no Underworld or Prodigy they've played Coachella before and should make room for the new talent.

My other predictions are very similar:
Simian Mobile Disco
Boys Noize
SebastiAn
Digitalism
Ghostland Observatory

Ooh and Erol Alkan is confirmed to play Coachella, a good source that owns a venue in the East Coast said that they were trying to book dates before and after the Coachella dates only.

Cheers

Guess I was one of the few calling this one.. Erol Alkan rules!
bummed though no Ghostland Observatory

Cheers

Sexecutioner
03-12-2008, 11:16 PM
bump...cuz i just downloaded erol alkans essential mix at global gathering and after listening to the first half so far, i really like it! cant wait to check out his set in the sahara this year!

STALINZZZ
03-12-2008, 11:16 PM
I wonder if he's doing a live or DJ set??? I'm actually hoping for a DJ set.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-12-2008, 11:48 PM
i am so buying one of those EROL shirts if they're selling 'em

crazzz2007
03-13-2008, 03:01 PM
I wonder if he's doing a live or DJ set??? I'm actually hoping for a DJ set.

He's a DJ. It'll be a DJ set.

Sonicifyouwantit
03-14-2008, 12:00 AM
probably already said but I love his hot chip remix.

brando4n82
03-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Just wanted to say I enjoyed reading the "debate" between Robototron and Crazzz. I'd say Robo won it, but I enjoyed Crazzz's input. In saying that, I am way down to check out Erol's set.