PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Friend....what the hell is this shit!!

pprasooli
01-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I haven't seen any Psychic Friend posts today (the admin to the Coachella Message Board). I saw a comment just not what said she is probably to embarrassed to make an appearance after the lineup was announced, which is probably true.This lineup SUCKS BALLS. Jack Johnson, give me a fucking break. Only four hip hop acts, horrible. Explain yourself...

psychic friend
01-21-2008, 05:55 PM
i have posted a lot today.

i put links to most of the myspace pages for you to get to know 2008. so many good bands it will be hard to decide who to see. obviously you picked one you dont so far.. good for you.
http://coachella.com/updates/news

fober
01-21-2008, 05:57 PM
WTF PSYCHIC FRIEND PICKS THE ARTISTS?!?!

Oh if only I had known the power you possess...

psychic friend
01-21-2008, 05:58 PM
i dont pick the artists but thanks for shouting

Leckie
01-21-2008, 05:59 PM
no one is even going to go, let alone 'get to know the bands'

any surprises should come really soon before people stop checking the site

cansei de ser sexme
01-21-2008, 06:14 PM
oh, i am checking out all the bands with the yt links from the site...

disgustipated
01-21-2008, 06:37 PM
yay!!!! more room for me!

coldstart
01-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Uh, why are you bitching at PF for not liking their lineup? If you don't like it, don't go. GV isn't forcing you to go or anything. If you want different headliners, put on your own festival.

tidolu14
01-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Hopefully all the "lineup sucks" people will stop using the message boards and we can get to the good stuff. There are so many great bands on this lineup but people can't look past the name Jack Johnson. Get over it.

zikade
01-21-2008, 06:46 PM
so many good bands it will be hard to decide who to see.
http://coachella.com/updates/news

If by "good" you mean "bands I would maybe pay 10 dollars to see if you they had three very good openers and the venue kicked ass."

pandaroo
01-21-2008, 06:47 PM
well, they never let us down and to plan for months in advance- like booking flights, getting your friends pumped and spending days online looking for a great condo to book-when you live far away u have to plan and you kind of want it to be worth it.

It like being 9 yrs old and your parents give you all this attention and then to find out they are having a baby (new fest) and giving it all the attention (radiohead) and we get pushed aside. (jack johnson)

boyalien0
01-21-2008, 06:47 PM
There are so many great bands on this lineup but people can't look past the name Jack Johnson. Get over it.

The fact that it's at the top of the poster makes it look like Jack lords over Coachella this year. Poor placement. But Fatboy Slim is playing, so who cares?

pandaroo
01-21-2008, 06:50 PM
If by "good" you mean "bands I would maybe pay 10 dollars to see if you they had three very good openers and the venue kicked ass."

No shit, all the bands they are talking about ive seen in the last year for 10 bucks, and those are the shows ill be at. again.
lots of repeats too like hotchip, justice, gogol, spank rock, anyone else?

It'sTheWhiskeyTalking
01-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Uh, why are you bitching at PF for not liking their lineup? If you don't like it, don't go. GV isn't forcing you to go or anything. If you want different headliners, put on your own festival.

Yes -- we know we don't have to go. But you cannot honestly say, since I am assuming that you love Coachella and have gone before, that this stacks up with the others. Maybe we are just spoiled from previous lineups.

If you had to pick your favorite 100 potential headliners, would jack johnson be on it? People bitching at PF are idiots...but you can't be overly psyched right now.

evilmushroompie
01-21-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm loving this year!

roscoemule
01-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Is this Groundhog Day? I've heard this exact same shit every year the lineup is announced, only to hear later that it was the best Coachella ever.

And yes, this stacks up very well - plus it's just the beginning. Paul said he had more stuff up his sleeve.

I AM PSYCHED!!! AND I AM SHOUTING. thankyouverymuch

Max Cady
01-21-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm loving this year!

me too. hopefully all these people bitching just wont show up, or at least just get over themselves

mvanwinkle
01-21-2008, 07:07 PM
PF I am very happy with this year.

coldstart
01-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Yes -- we know we don't have to go. But you cannot honestly say, since I am assuming that you love Coachella and have gone before, that this stacks up with the others. Maybe we are just spoiled from previous lineups.

If you had to pick your favorite 100 potential headliners, would jack johnson be on it? People bitching at PF are idiots...but you can't be overly psyched right now.

I don't care if a band is in large text on the poster or not. I like about 20-30 bands off of the list so far, regardless of if they are "headliners" or not. The fact that there are 20-30 on the list that I like is good enough for me. I was hoping for Aphex Twin though :P

pprasooli
01-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Jack Johnson is just part of the problem with this year, there is also the hundreds of bands that would make 08 SO MUCH FUCKING BETTER...BOC, Aphix Twin, STP, Muse, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins and the list goes on. Just one of these add ons would make is so much better. Portishead is not nearly headliner material, and the subheadliners are all whack too. There aren't many good hip acts either. I'm happy that I didn't pre-purchase anything for this year, cause at this point its not worth the investment. Not at all.

Rhydz
01-21-2008, 08:31 PM
i think people need to wake up realise that the team behind coachella are trying to maximise profit with the la gig to make the push into the east easier.

the money spent on the artists this year would have been greatly reduced to cater for the east coast move.

it's pretty much a slap in the face to people who have supported coachella for so long....

i dont think anyone can argue that.

i know where my money will be going this year. definetly going to try a european festival that puts the money forward to deliver the best possible card for their loyal punters.

but i guess its just a brand now so you could put shit on a stick and it will still sell.

woogie846
01-21-2008, 08:43 PM
People, bitching about Jack Johnson is like bitching and saying you won't go because Uffie is on on the line up. It's one act! Are you really going to let one of out of 125 ruin your whole weekend? I'm sure as hell not going to.

gratytrainridesagain
01-21-2008, 08:45 PM
At first I will admit I was very disappointed but after looking it over checking out some of the bands I didn't know, this could actually be a great Coachella. Yeah the JJ thing sucks but I'll just watch Fatboy Slim or Madness (who i didn't even know were still around, so pumped for these guys).

Rhydz
01-21-2008, 08:49 PM
People, bitching about Jack Johnson is like bitching and saying you won't go because Uffie is on on the line up. It's one act! Are you really going to let one of out of 125 ruin your whole weekend? I'm sure as hell not going to.

how many times do i have to say it. its not about jack johnson but rather the the money spent on the artists this year would have been greatly reduced to cater for the east coast move

JustSteve
01-21-2008, 08:56 PM
you are making stupid, stupid assumptions. please shut up just in case some other idiots decide to believe your word is truth.

Rhydz
01-21-2008, 09:04 PM
cmon its common sense you wouldnt layout more of a cost concidering you have to put on another festival at the second half of the year.

Memorial_07
01-22-2008, 06:44 AM
Jack Johnson won't ruin my weekend...It just means hes the only headliner I'm not going to bother watching.
Or I can leave during his set and beat traffic.
Or see someone playing at the same time he is who is better

M Sparks
01-22-2008, 07:51 AM
it look like Jack lords over Coachella this year.

I'd like to think Jack Lord's looking over all of us from heaven, all the time.

http://www.nndb.com/people/656/000026578/jack1.jpg

christian
01-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Friend,
As a three year veteran traveling from the East Coast, this is a major disappointment. I won't even mention the Jimmy Johnson Buffett addition, but come on, no Radiohead? no Bloody Valentine? no British Sea Power? no Cure? Morrissey/ SOMETHING to come out west for? How about Drive By-Truckers? Goldfrapp?
I don't come for the headliners, but I did expect The Knife, Stills, Yeasayer, and I was holding out hope for Emma Pollock, Editors, Dean and Britta. I will still be there, but this is a major letdown. Love and Rockets is very nice, as is Death Cab, and Portishead, and Roger Waters, and hey, wait a minute..I will have a good time!!! But please DUMP Jackass Johnson.

faxman75
01-22-2008, 08:16 AM
no Radiohead? no Bloody Valentine? no British Sea Power? no Cure? Morrissey/ SOMETHING

I have about as much interest in seeing any of these bands that I do in seeing Jack Johnson. lol

Why do you need Coachella to get rid of Jack in order for you to enjoy your other bands?

christian
01-22-2008, 08:22 AM
I have about as much interest in seeing any of these bands that I do in seeing Jack Johnson. lol

Why do you need Coachella to get rid of Jack in order for you to enjoy your other bands?

Yeah, your right. I'll just leave before he comes on. I'll still have a good time. I quess it's the headline spot that is bothersome. It just seems that there could have been someone there to keep me around.

M Sparks
01-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Yeah, your right. I'll just leave before he comes on. I'll still have a good time. I quess it's the headline spot that is bothersome. It just seems that there could have been someone there to keep me around.

See...I don't get it. There could be 4 other great acts conflicting at that same time. Who cares who's on the 5th stage?

Does JJ make ANY sense as a headliner? No. Does it affect any of the other great acts playing? No.

schoolofruckus
01-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Friend,
As a three year veteran traveling from the East Coast, this is a major disappointment. I won't even mention the Jimmy Johnson Buffett addition, but come on, no Radiohead? no Bloody Valentine? no British Sea Power? no Cure? Morrissey/ SOMETHING to come out west for? How about Drive By-Truckers? Goldfrapp?
I don't come for the headliners, but I did expect The Knife, Stills, Yeasayer, and I was holding out hope for Emma Pollock, Editors, Dean and Britta. I will still be there, but this is a major letdown. Love and Rockets is very nice, as is Death Cab, and Portishead, and Roger Waters, and hey, wait a minute..I will have a good time!!! But please DUMP Jackass Johnson.

If you really expected The Knife to come, then you get what you deserve. The same goes for anyone on any of the rumored lists.

Dump Jack Johnson yourself. The undercards on Friday are great. There is no reason to linger on that.

SFChrissy
01-22-2008, 09:44 AM
yay!!!! more room for me!

That's what I'm talking 'bout

I'm loving this year!

You're not the only one baby...I'm right there with ya...

me too. hopefully all these people bitching just wont show up, or at least just get over themselves

I would think that makes more room for ART!!!

PF I am very happy with this year. I was almost afraid of being dissapointed by the lineup but they have succeeded my expectations once again!!!

Thank you GV...you guys have nailed it again!!! See ya on the field...

Rhydz
01-22-2008, 10:46 AM
yeh I will admit the undercards are great but I can see them for half the cost

microcuts
01-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Well a Roger Waters ticket alone is probably half the cost of a 3-day pass. Throw in $10-$15 for every other band you want to see on the line-up and I think it pretty much evens out.I'm guessing Kraftwerk and Portishead shows aren't exactly cheap, either. But they never tour so it's kind of hard to factor that.

Rhydz
01-22-2008, 10:54 AM
I dont like roger waters

A((wake))
01-22-2008, 11:05 AM

That is precisely why I am missing this year. The Sahara is going to absolutely kill but since I live in Oregon,(and have seen 3/4 of the Sahara lineup) I would be investing ALOT of money to travel down to see the show. It all ads up really quick.

I just finished going through the ENTIRE artist list on the front page and although there are some cool artists I would like to see, it isn't fathomable to pay over $1,000 to see them.

Last year was a different story, however..

Sci-Fi
01-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Yorkchella, Jack johnson, stagecoach???, it must be a PF wet dream gone bad...

woogie846
01-22-2008, 08:23 PM
I dont like roger waters

Well guess what bitch, Roger Waters isn't too fond of you either.

locality
01-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Portishead, Kraftwerk and Love and Rockets make the festival cost effective by the time you throw in the amazing small acts throughout the day, but they should give you a free drink or food voucher to compensate you for the fact that you may hear Jack Johnson in the background on Friday night. Perhaps the other acts playing at the same time as him could blend their songs together to avoid any moments of silence. I think it would really mess me up mentally if I was performing in front of a crowd and then I could hear JJ off in the distance between my songs.

gmoneyak
01-23-2008, 11:58 AM

I can't, I'm looking forward to seeing 45 acts this year..

$270/45 = $6 a piece.... I'm not finding $6 concerts anywhere else.

JustSteve
01-23-2008, 12:03 PM
how many sets can really be seen in a day though after factoring in time to eat, drink, piss, walk to stages, etc.? i think a good bet is around 9-10 full sets a day at the most, unless you plan on only seeing partials...and that's if you get there at the butt crack of noon.

gmoneyak
01-23-2008, 12:07 PM
I caught 51 last year over the weekend.. Planned my shit out ahead of time, and still plenty of time for eating, boozing, etc..

I didn't catch many full sets, probably around 6.. It's easy to break away earlier to catch a prime spot at the next show..

jigglypuflvr@mac.com
01-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Jack Johnson won't ruin my weekend...It just means hes the only headliner I'm not going to bother watching.
Or I can leave during his set and beat traffic.
Or see someone playing at the same time he is who is better

seriously. if i catch even one of you on the field watching jack johnson, i'm taking full responsibility to remind you that fatboy slim is playing same time, sahara pwnage.

TheWatcher
01-23-2008, 09:38 PM
See...I don't get it. There could be 4 other great acts conflicting at that same time. Who cares who's on the 5th stage?

Does JJ make ANY sense as a headliner? No. Does it affect any of the other great acts playing? No.

I am worrying about conflicts on Friday night. The Breeders, Fatboy Slim, The Verve and Madness could all be conflicting!

The only thing really missing is something in the harder rock direction, like Tool, NiN, or RATM. And, it's actually kind of fun to see the uncomfortably warm goth kids.

Rhydz
01-23-2008, 10:21 PM
i'd love to see psychifriend put together and objective argument towards why jack johnson is a good headline and how this years line up is greater than previous year.

i'd also like to hear if the artist expenditure on the LA coachella this year was equal or more than last years.

smoke
01-23-2008, 10:35 PM
i'd love to see psychifriend put together and objective argument towards why jack johnson is a good headline and how this years line up is greater than previous year.

i'd also like to hear if the artist expenditure on the LA coachella this year was equal or more than last years.

why would psychic friend do that? she is the moderator for the board, and has some involvement with the website...what makes you think she has any say in booking the lineup? and why do you expect this years lineup to be better? better than what? maybe i thought rage sucked shit last year, and last year had a crap lineup. maybe i love roger waters and this lineup. so now, this years lineup is better to me.

goldenvoice doesn't owe you shit. if you are not interested, don't go to the show. its really not that difficult.

firesuite
01-23-2008, 10:38 PM
no shit. if you wanna bitch at someone, write tollett an e-mail. good luck with that, btw.

Snakeface
01-24-2008, 04:06 AM

I'd love to see Rhydz stay at home this year. The money saved could buy a Speak'N'Spell and an atlas. Rhdyz has spoken, and so it shall be written, that more money spent always equals a better festival. All fiscal details will be promptly reported to Rhydz without question. If Goldenvoice needs extra money, I would pay to see Psychic Friend mutilate Rhydz. Or better yet, how about Jack Johnson Versus Rhydz on the Main Stage?

that sounds like the exact opposite. you are disapointed with the line up but your are going anyway for the "exprerience" which in others is going for the sake of going to coachella

no offence but why not to go another american festival or evena euopean festival with a better line up. i garuntee the experience will be fresh and great, i am thinking of rock am ring or maybe reading. glasto is dead now, seems LA coachella is going down the same "brand name" path where they no longer need to put on a decent card to make money.

i can garuntee you one thing jack johnson is cheap. especially to headline a festival like coachella. this line up is cheap souly to maximise profit for the move east.

('Nuff Said - Ed.)

carokube
01-24-2008, 05:11 AM
i have restrained from making comments on these threads cause i feel it takes away from my coachy experience, but, to quote south park:

"if you don't like americuh then you can just git out"

Rhydz
01-24-2008, 10:17 AM
I'd love to see Rhydz stay at home this year. The money saved could buy a Speak'N'Spell and an atlas. Rhdyz has spoken, and so it shall be written, that more money spent always equals a better festival. All fiscal details will be promptly reported to Rhydz without question. If Goldenvoice needs extra money, I would pay to see Psychic Friend mutilate Rhydz. Or better yet, how about Jack Johnson Versus Rhydz on the Main Stage?

('Nuff Said - Ed.)

gee i hardly see how my spelling has anything to do with the line up this year.

i admit i ain't the greatest at english (parents were english teachers and it looks like the gene didnt get passed down) but it's a forum on the internet, hardly the place for perfect grammar. plus it was written late into the night after I had just finished a 14 hour day (incl. a 8.5 hours presentation) so I wanted to get my point out there quickly.

as far as the atlas goes I'm Australian born and have been all around the world (currently live in houston). I just got back from a tour of ireland and berlin. I hardly think I need an atlas.

Now to get back to the two point I was trying to make. My first point was that Psychic Friend was defending the line up on the first page of this thread. So I thought it was appropriate to point out the questions that alot of let down people have at the moment.

The second point was that the person defending the line up was going to coachella out of habbit. Would yo argue with that?

psychic friend
01-24-2008, 10:29 AM
i dont see what my personal opinion has to do with it. I don't book the event and I can't force bands to play or be available.

sithlord
01-24-2008, 10:33 AM

NO, jack would not be on that list. but portishead would. and roger waters would. and spiritualized would.

please, haters, just stay home this year.

-T

Rhydz
01-24-2008, 12:12 PM
i dont see what my personal opinion has to do with it. I don't book the event and I can't force bands to play or be available.

well the thread was aimed at you. so what is your personal opinion? do you think jack johnson is good headliner and how do you think this line up compares to previous years?

aphrael
01-24-2008, 12:33 PM
The question sort of puts Psychic Friend in an impossible spot. As a representative of Goldenvoice, she can't very well diss the lineup in public.

Pixiessp
01-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Jack Johnson is just part of the problem with this year, there is also the hundreds of bands that would make 08 SO MUCH FUCKING BETTER...BOC, Aphix Twin, STP, Muse, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins and the list goes on. Just one of these add ons would make is so much better. Portishead is not nearly headliner material, and the subheadliners are all whack too. There aren't many good hip acts either. I'm happy that I didn't pre-purchase anything for this year, cause at this point its not worth the investment. Not at all.

go to bonnarro then.

sbessiso
01-24-2008, 12:48 PM
how bout both? thats what im doing, looking to write about my experiences at both

Pixiessp
01-24-2008, 12:56 PM
just tired of the rant.both festivals are worth it.

Snakeface
01-24-2008, 01:38 PM
gee i hardly see how my spelling has anything to do with the line up this year.

i admit i ain't the greatest at english (parents were english teachers and it looks like the gene didnt get passed down) but it's a forum on the internet, hardly the place for perfect grammar. plus it was written late into the night after I had just finished a 14 hour day (incl. a 8.5 hours presentation) so I wanted to get my point out there quickly.

as far as the atlas goes I'm Australian born and have been all around the world (currently live in houston). I just got back from a tour of ireland and berlin. I hardly think I need an atlas.

Now to get back to the two point I was trying to make. My first point was that Psychic Friend was defending the line up on the first page of this thread. So I thought it was appropriate to point out the questions that alot of let down people have at the moment.

The second point was that the person defending the line up was going to coachella out of habbit. Would yo argue with that?

Proper grammar is much easier to read, even on an internet forum. I'm so sorry to hear about your long day. I am shedding a tear for you right now. At least nobody was questioning you for doing your job. Leave Psychic Friend alone. She probably doesn't have any more say in the artist selection than you do. What difference does it make how important or unimportant Jack Johnson is to her? They can't possibly please everyone, especially assholes like you. As for an atlas, Coachella is in Indio, which is not Los Angeles.

I was a bit let down that a few names that I wanted to see weren't on the poster, but I'm not crying. I'm not a Jack Johnson fan, but I'm still not crying. I listened to a few bands that I hadn't heard, and then forgot about the missing ones that I had hoped for. To answer your question, I will be going to Coachella this year regardless of the line-up, but not out of habit. I would go because it is a great festival, and I have never spent a moment of boredom there. I could spend the weekend walking around, talking to people from everywhere, enjoying the vibes and the atmosphere. It is a music and arts festival, not a concert of YOUR favorite bands. The festival will go on without you, and I'm sure that Goldenvoice doesn't need your financial help or shitty "But you owe us!" attitude. Enjoy that lovely Houston skyline and 90% humidity. We'll be living it up in the desert.

Rhydz
01-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Proper grammar is much easier to read, even on an internet forum. I'm so sorry to hear about your long day. I am shedding a tear for you right now. At least nobody was questioning you for doing your job. Leave Psychic Friend alone. She probably doesn't have any more say in the artist selection than you do. What difference does it make how important or unimportant Jack Johnson is to her? They can't possibly please everyone, especially assholes like you. As for an atlas, Coachella is in Indio, which is not Los Angeles.

I was a bit let down that a few names that I wanted to see weren't on the poster, but I'm not crying. I'm not a Jack Johnson fan, but I'm still not crying. I listened to a few bands that I hadn't heard, and then forgot about the missing ones that I had hoped for. To answer your question, I will be going to Coachella this year regardless of the line-up, but not out of habit. I would go because it is a great festival, and I have never spent a moment of boredom there. I could spend the weekend walking around, talking to people from everywhere, enjoying the vibes and the atmosphere. It is a music and arts festival, not a concert of YOUR favorite bands. The festival will go on without you, and I'm sure that Goldenvoice doesn't need your financial help or shitty "But you owe us!" attitude. Enjoy that lovely Houston skyline and 90% humidity. We'll be living it up in the desert.

jesus. you're pretty obsessed with grammar yeh? being able to use spellcheck doesn't make you any smarter.

M Sparks
01-24-2008, 03:02 PM
being able to use spellcheck doesn't make you any smarter.

No, not NEEDING it makes you smarter.