PDA

View Full Version : WHERE IS ALL THE HIP HOP????

pprasooli
01-21-2008, 05:45 PM
This pisses me off. Coachella is supposed to be Rock (Indie)/Electronic/AND HIP HOP festival. I counted only four acts: Aesop Rock, Spank Rock, Little Brother, and Murs. There were rumors of Deltron, Wu Tang, A Tribe Called Quest, Outkast, and many others, and only four measly acts are what we get. This Coachella is going to BLOW compared to last years, or any other year for that matter.

fober
01-21-2008, 05:49 PM
LOLRUMORS

Leckie
01-21-2008, 05:54 PM
YA WHAT ABOUT DR DRE AND SNOOP DOGG!?

psychic friend
01-21-2008, 05:55 PM
i put links to most of the myspace pages for you to find the hip hop, check the news page

Robototron
01-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey, you forgot Uffie!

Seriously, though. Santogold, Yo Majesty, Kid Sister, The Cool Kids, and A-Trak should be fun, even if they're really obvious LA hipster shit.

Seriously, does this lineup make anyone think that GV just looked at whatever festivals were in LA these past few months and decide on their lineup from there, or is it just me?

pprasooli
01-21-2008, 05:59 PM
I thought I knew a lot about hip hop and all the new stuff that comes out in the genre, but I have NEVER heard of Santogold, Yo Majesty, Kid Sister, The Cool Kids, or A-Trak...which I guess is all LA underground stuff. Come on, last year there was a bunch of good hip hop...now there are all these no namers.

Robototron
01-21-2008, 06:21 PM
I thought I knew a lot about hip hop and all the new stuff that comes out in the genre, but I have NEVER heard of Santogold, Yo Majesty, Kid Sister, The Cool Kids, or A-Trak...which I guess is all LA underground stuff. Come on, last year there was a bunch of good hip hop...now there are all these no namers.

Dude, not even A-Trak? He's Kanye West's DJ! I thought he was pretty well-known.

When I say that they're LA hipster shit, I don't mean that they're all from here (actually, none of them are), I've just noticed that a lot of hipster-types here love them. I guess I didn't really need to mention LA at all. Anyway, Santogold (who performs with Spank Rock sometimes) and Yo Majesty I think are still pretty underground, but Kid Sister and Cool Kids are getting bigger. Cool Kids are featured pretty prominently in some phone commercial, at least.

afrank
01-21-2008, 06:24 PM
spank rock and cool kids will be good. cool kids and kid sister are both on a-trak's label, fools gold.

Kurosawa
01-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Lucky.I.AM is a decent emcee too. I haven't heard anything from him in a few years since I used to dig all that Freestyle Fellowship stuff.

pandaroo
01-21-2008, 06:28 PM
we saw spank rock during Rage last year. Im pretty sure there were more people on stage than in the audience/ They are probably giving him a 2nd chance to actually play in front of a decent sized crowd. being that people will be there

sesamesteve
01-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Aesop Rock. Yeeeeeeyuhhhhh boyeeee.

Robototron
01-21-2008, 06:30 PM
we saw spank rock during Rage last year. Im pretty sure there were more people on stage than in the audience/ They are probably giving him a 2nd chance to actually play in front of a decent sized crowd. being that people will be there

Yeah, Spank Rock last year was bomb! A few friends of mine actually left Rage to go see them.

orbit
01-21-2008, 06:30 PM
I really thought A Tribe Called Quest would be there.

Memorial_07
01-22-2008, 06:42 AM
A Tribe Called Quest should've headlined day one

Tylerdurden31
01-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Yo Majesty! is pretty awesome to see

Donaldj
01-22-2008, 08:44 AM
The Streets?

Dan La Sac vs Scroobius Pip?

Even M.I.A. has a little hip hop in her :)

Trick Loves The Kids
01-22-2008, 08:53 AM
this year is awful for rap

J~$$$
01-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Im sure more will be added.

DRUNKOFFBREASTMILK
01-22-2008, 09:06 AM
U9vZ_akgmXU&rel=1
???

gadnerd
01-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Mos def ??
Talib Kweli??
Common??
Deltron??
MF Doom??
NAS??
Wu-tang??
Madvillain??
Kanye??

jonprc
01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
yea there's Santogold, Yo Majesty, Kid Sister, The Cool Kids, A-Trak and MIA.

but that's really borderline hip hop. it's really dance music. even the cool kids.
where's the gritty shit like el-p, mf doom and immortal technique from recent years.
just murs and aesop? i'll be there no matter what. i'll just keep crossing my fingers for more additions

nbvwes
01-22-2008, 09:44 AM
um... i could be wrong (even though i'm not), but isn't there MORE hip-hop acts this year than last year??? yeah, sure, no big names for you to bitch about and say they shouldn't even be there, but if you wanted more hip-hop, you should've just gone to Rock The Bells (hell, they had the same headliner anyway!)

)|( Senjikyru )|(
01-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Mos def ??
Talib Kweli??
Common??
Deltron??
MF Doom??
NAS??
Wu-tang??
Madvillain??
Kanye??

Would have been nice to see Living Legends, MF Doom & Kool Keith again since in 04 they were rockin the outdoor theatre while many people were at Radiohead.

That year I was filiming for Heineken and was in between both stages and the outdoor theatre just looked way more fun that Radioheads impressive light show.

I realy enjoyed the hip hop performers that were booked for 04.

Outkast would have been an excellent addition for this year.

missmodular818
01-22-2008, 12:16 PM
ADD MADVILLIAN AND WU-TANG!

HunterGather
01-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Kanye and quad city dj's ftw :)