PDA

View Full Version : Sub headliners as headliners?? I blame New Jersey

pandaroo
01-21-2008, 03:08 PM
I am stoked on Portishead but c'mon! and on a saturday no less! Roger waters cool.
But seriously, JAck Fucking Johnson!?? Friday is crap.
Maybe if Goldenvoice didnt spread themselves out so thin we couldve gotten an actual headlining band. Like Radiohead?? I wouldve even taken REM. What happened? Jack Johnson?? guess ill be by the pool on friday unless the small acts are good that day.

Does anyone agree w. me on this or am I taking crazy pills

Rochec
01-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Jack Johnson as a headliner is pretty random. He will sell a lot of tickets to a new crowd though, so I assume that's why they did it. He's not exactly your typical Coachella headliner.

Headliners are for the birds anyways.

jennygirl
01-21-2008, 03:15 PM
I am seriously HATING on this east coast bull-dookie. I think you hit the nail right on the head right there, pandaroo.

"...Maybe if Goldenvoice didnt spread themselves out so thin we couldve gotten an actual headlining band..."

PrettyRagdoll
01-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Jack Johnson? Rilo Kiley I'm actually debating whether I'm still going... Hopefully some better bands will be announced.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
FUCK. im so sad. i was going to make the trip and spend lots of money. Now im rethinking it SERIOUSLY. Jack Johnson? since when is Coachella LANGERADO????? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would've even taken No Doubt....

hypervera
01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
fuck the east festival!!!!! jack john who????? fuck!!!

Jakedeez
01-21-2008, 03:18 PM
I agree the lineup seems pretty weak right now

Jakedeez
01-21-2008, 03:18 PM
scratch that headliners i meant to say

york707
01-21-2008, 03:20 PM
The lineup is pretty fucking solid. Who goes for the headliners, anyway?

JustSteve
01-21-2008, 03:20 PM
skipping the whole festival because jack johnson is playing on ONE OF FIVE stages on one night. you are an idiot.

boarderwoozel3
01-21-2008, 03:26 PM
The lineup is pretty fucking solid. Who goes for the headliners, anyway?

Thats what I'm talking about! Seeing Waters play darkside of the moon will be cool and they were saying the production value of his set would be really high. As a whole the headliners aren't strong as they've been in years past but from top to bottom its a strong lineup. I'm stoked.

*And I get to make up for being a douche and missing gogol last year :D

Mr.Wyndham
they better have something amazing up their sleeves. i.e. deleting jack johnson.

jasonllester
It seems to be more about the rest of the lineup than the headliners this year

pandaroo
01-21-2008, 03:27 PM
I am so excited for the smaller acts really I couldnt be happier and Paul said they have a few tricks up there sleeve. But, if friday doesnt round out for me, I dont know it will be worth it to go that day. Especially w/ out a mention of a presale.
see what I meant by getting our hopes up all you Prince/ Bowie enthusiasts! Unfortunatly Jack Johnson on the bill was similar to my nightmare last night - No JOKE!

alpharuin
01-21-2008, 03:30 PM
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1055/jumpsharkgj4.jpg

ADrunkPoet
01-21-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm hoping the poster reveals something more of merit.
And a Friday with any artist over Jack Johnson.

JebusLives
01-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Yeah, solid lineup (no MBV though.. so sad...) but the headliners are actually sort of embarassing. I can't even brag to friends that i'm going this year. I know it'll be a blast, but I sure hope they add a few (ala Massive Attack and Daft Punk in 2005).

punkgirl
01-21-2008, 03:34 PM
I have to agree. Considering my household has two of us going, I don't think I can justify $500 to go and not care to see one headliner. IMHO, you need bands that ROCK to pump you up at the end of the night so you can muster the energy to hike back to your vehicle through the battalion death march (I mean, what IS that two person dirt trail about??). Jack Johnson is a great add to Coachella, but NOT as a headliner. At best, he belongs in last year's Arcade Fire spot, right as the sun goes down and it is starting to cool down a bit. Portishead is nice and trippy, but once again, something I typically listen to during a chill out session. They would have been good in a spot like Tiesto occupied last year - late night for those that want to chill. And DON'T even get me started on money grubber Roger Waters. What a joke. Either bring the rest of Pink Floyd, or shut up - no one wants to hear you rape your old band's music for monetary gain. Did we hear Jarvis Cocker playing Pulp songs last year? NO. If there were a pre-sale and tix were $150 again, then I suppose I could justify the $300 for me and my sig other to go. But $500 and no headliner? I should have known that Coachella peaked last year (for some folks, the year before). Even adding Teddybears would have been a huge add for me . . . *sigh* I guess New Jersey will get all the A-list acts, and we are stuck with the B-list (in some cases C-list - the BREEDERS??) Ok, done ranting . . .

depechemodekraftwerk
01-21-2008, 03:34 PM
PEOPLE WILL SLAM u all day tlaking about GV..

But ive said it and will say again the 3 day festival makes talent thin each day..This line-up sucks.

woogie846
01-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Jack Johnson sucks yes, but that's one act.

zikade
01-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Where'd everyone who was complaining about REM "possibly" headlining run off to? Are you happy now?! We've got Jack Johnson! That's like turning down a chicken salad and getting a shit sandwich instead!

If MBV or BOC ends up playing Jerschella I'll be EXTREMELY pissed. I'm seriously thinking about even going this year and I'm a five year vet. This sucks.

BettySpaghetti
01-21-2008, 03:37 PM
How about you cancel Jack Johnson, and use that money to get Daft Punk again, and have them as a headliner. Wouldn't that get more people? What a stupid decision.

ksmitty
01-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Brochella is the theme this year. Jack Johnson come on. Each year it keeps getting worse and worse.

pandaroo
01-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Fuck. when does the Jerseychella fest get announced. I want to see what they have. Didnt I hear Jack Johnson is playing there too?
Omigod- Bonnaroo enthusiasts may trek our way!!!!

joppy-slow
01-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah, solid lineup (no MBV though.. so sad...) but the headliners are actually sort of embarassing. I can't even brag to friends that i'm going this year. I know it'll be a blast, but I sure hope they add a few (ala Massive Attack and Daft Punk in 2005).

ha ha hah.. this made me laugh..

such a let down this year.. gawd why do I get my hopes up.. the festival world really is becoming too saturated.. everything good must come to an end.

Carl Spackler
01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
They got to add something. Definetly not bragging about seeing Jack Johnson. I mean the guy did the soundtrack for George the Curious monkey for gods sake!

TOGETHERRR
01-21-2008, 04:10 PM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/2527/1jack1cupyp2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

LET'S BOYCOTT THIS YEAR AND ALL WATCH 2 GIRLS 1 CUP
FOR 3 DAYS STRAIGHT!!!!!! TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!

pandaroo
01-21-2008, 05:11 PM
How is Goldenvoice going to make money off this? I will be at the smaller stages but honestly- who is the target market on this one? Roger Waters fans are primarily older and are not going to drive out to the desert to see him on a Sunday!

I want an explanation as to why Goldenvoice thinks JJ and Portishead qualify as headliners

Mariano
01-21-2008, 05:39 PM
I really want to stick a Churro into Jack Johnson's ...

york707
01-21-2008, 05:45 PM
I have to agree. Considering my household has two of us going, I don't think I can justify $500 to go and not care to see one headliner. IMHO, you need bands that ROCK to pump you up at the end of the night so you can muster the energy to hike back to your vehicle through the battalion death march (I mean, what IS that two person dirt trail about??). Jack Johnson is a great add to Coachella, but NOT as a headliner. At best, he belongs in last year's Arcade Fire spot, right as the sun goes down and it is starting to cool down a bit. Portishead is nice and trippy, but once again, something I typically listen to during a chill out session. They would have been good in a spot like Tiesto occupied last year - late night for those that want to chill. And DON'T even get me started on money grubber Roger Waters. What a joke. Either bring the rest of Pink Floyd, or shut up - no one wants to hear you rape your old band's music for monetary gain. Did we hear Jarvis Cocker playing Pulp songs last year? NO. If there were a pre-sale and tix were $150 again, then I suppose I could justify the $300 for me and my sig other to go. But $500 and no headliner? I should have known that Coachella peaked last year (for some folks, the year before). Even adding Teddybears would have been a huge add for me . . . *sigh* I guess New Jersey will get all the A-list acts, and we are stuck with the B-list (in some cases C-list - the BREEDERS??) Ok, done ranting . . .

You ARE aware that there are four other bands playing at the same time as JJ, right?

insbordnat
01-21-2008, 05:55 PM
If there were a pre-sale and tix were $150 again, then I suppose I could justify the $300 for me and my sig other to go. But $500 and no headliner? I should have known that Coachella peaked last year (for some folks, the year before). Even adding Teddybears would have been a huge add for me . . . *sigh* I guess New Jersey will get all the A-list acts, and we are stuck with the B-list (in some cases C-list - the BREEDERS??) Ok, done ranting . . .

Is it about value then? I've gone all years since 2001 and I can't say I've seen too many headliners. It's about discovering new music, listening to music you know, etc. I don't get seeing the headliners anyways, unless you are in the middle of a bizillion pushing fans, half of which have some chick on their shoulders so you can't see shite, with crappy sound, etc. If I'm going to go see a headliner, I'll usually just go to their show when it comes around.

insbordnat
01-21-2008, 05:56 PM
I don't get what New Jersey has to do with Coachella anyways? Do you think they are taking away bands to save for that show? What would be the motivation to do that??? It makes no business sense.

pandaroo
01-21-2008, 06:06 PM
they are competing with themselves by creating a new festival.
we are the spoiled 9 yr old who just found out mommy and daddy are having a baby and baby gets all the attention while we get pushed aside.
Damn right there saving the good stuff.

Carlo Von Sexron
01-21-2008, 08:09 PM
I don't get what New Jersey has to do with Coachella anyways? Do you think they are taking away bands to save for that show? What would be the motivation to do that??? It makes no business sense.

Hell yes, it makes sense. Coachella is an established music festival. Tens of thousands of people are going to go every year (even this year...) regardless of who plays.

But now that there is a festival starting up in NYC...you gotta pull out the big guns for that. They want to be on the map after year ONE of that festival, not take several years to build up like Coachella did. Why blow your load on Coachella when you need to make a splash in the Big Apple? This lineup wouldn't fly for a first time fest in NYC, but it's still going to be OK for Coachella.
That's why Jerseychella is going to get Radiohead and god (or Paul T) only knows who else. It's going to be a ridiculous lineup for that festival, though. I'm jealous already.

SEEDYMIG420
01-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Portishead is fine, but Jack Johnson? I heard that the Jerseychella is much smaller and might only be one day, but I bet the line-up is a whole lot better. Can anyone tell me where I can score some heroin for Coachella? Also, some uppers, downers, qualoods, & other god awfull drugs? Why? I need something to make the shows much more interesting. Can I get an A-MEN!?!?