PDA

View Full Version : Justice... live or dj set?

mverde
01-20-2008, 09:37 PM
So justice is pretty much confirmed, do you guys think they'll play a live set again or a dj set?

orbit
01-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Does it make any difference?

mverde
01-20-2008, 09:39 PM
huge

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-20-2008, 09:39 PM
it has to be live.

jayce
01-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Does it make any difference?

Nope. Either way, they will suck.

woogie846
01-20-2008, 09:42 PM
A dj set I would guess.

henshimi
01-20-2008, 09:45 PM
It must be a DJ set. What are they going to play bass, drums, synth? I have never seen a set of theirs consisting of more than a few cd turntables and a mixer.

garrett222
01-20-2008, 09:49 PM
lame, you don't know what youre talking about...last year it was a live set...live set = thier album, dj set = mindless trance

lowfront
01-20-2008, 09:50 PM
will be a live set

travolta
01-20-2008, 09:53 PM
justice blows. that whole crunchy dryfisting electrotrash noize has got to go.

jayce
01-20-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm going to cry if the Sahara is full of Ed Banger crap during Coachella. I hope they have some cool acts in the dome this year. *crosses fingers*

Amneeziac
01-20-2008, 09:59 PM
I love people who disassociate themselves from bands and artists as soon as they get popular. Justice is good.

jayce
01-20-2008, 10:00 PM
^ Not good enough to play during prime time two years in a row.

orbit
01-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Stop the electrorockdisco fidget house overflow.

travolta
01-20-2008, 10:05 PM
its funny cause Fabric asked them to do a mix for their Live series but they (fabric) rejected the final product.

henshimi
01-20-2008, 10:06 PM
lame, you don't know what youre talking about...last year it was a live set...live set = thier album, dj set = mindless trance

live set=impossible. There music is mainly samples with their own bass lines thrown in. And by the way, last year was a dj set: http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?i=13757962&id=213838526

miseducation
01-20-2008, 10:15 PM
justice blows. that whole crunchy dryfisting electrotrash noize has got to go.

AND

its funny cause Fabric asked them to do a mix for their Live series but they (fabric) rejected the final product.

What's funny here is that both of your statements are partially contradictory. Fabric rejected the mix because it wasn't exactly what you hate about them.

That mix didn't contain a single goddamn second of "electro crunch" music.

Dizzan
01-20-2008, 10:17 PM
live set=impossible. There music is mainly samples with their own bass lines thrown in. And by the way, last year was a dj set: http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?i=13757962&id=213838526

Last year was Live, their DJ set was a lot longer than coachella, when i saw them at HARD NYE, and their set was not trance.

travolta
01-20-2008, 10:17 PM
AND

What's funny here is that both of your statements are partially contradictory. Fabric rejected the mix because it wasn't exactly what you hate about them.

you're right. i haven't listened to it. its on my HD doomed to the recycle bin. i was trying to flame but i guess im a little rusty.

off to bed..

miseducation
01-20-2008, 10:26 PM
live set=impossible. There music is mainly samples with their own bass lines thrown in. And by the way, last year was a dj set:

You obviously have no idea what a "live set" actually means. It's practically impossible for a good majority of most electronic acts to recreate their music live - as a result, a live set usually just guarantees they'll only play their music, songs they remixed or songs of theirs remixed by someone else.

They could technically use only DJ equipment (although they don't) to play their songs and it would still be a live set. The fact that they mix their own songs together (a la Daft Punk) would differentiate it from simply pressing play on the CD.

A DJ set, however - guarantees that you'll only hear two or three songs by that specific artist during the set. They will mostly play other people's music in a manner that shows off their "song selection skills."

orbit
01-20-2008, 10:32 PM
So Villalobos' Fabric was a live set?

thelastmejia
01-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Justice's DJ sets are also by far way better than their live stuff. Want Proof checkout their I love Techno Set from 2006 and compare it to their live set from last year at Coachella

KungFuJoe
01-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Stop the electrorockdisco fidget house overflow.

Keep Digitalism.

please.

jayce
01-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Keep Digitalism.

please.

ok. fine. but that's it!

arya.
01-20-2008, 10:53 PM
i would prefer DJ set.

suprefan
01-20-2008, 11:05 PM

You are on crack, you dont know the difference when it comes to them live or dj, idiot. Last year was Live, this year will be Live. Deal with it.

brycerosen
01-20-2008, 11:23 PM
You are on crack, you dont know the difference when it comes to them live or dj, idiot. Last year was Live, this year will be Live. Deal with it.

how can justice play live - do they use drums keyboards guitars like digitalism or what?

superfiction
01-21-2008, 12:08 AM
how can justice play live - do they use drums keyboards guitars like digitalism or what?

get out

bkeeley
02-07-2008, 10:55 PM
You obviously have no idea what a "live set" actually means. It's practically impossible for a good majority of most electronic acts to recreate their music live - as a result, a live set usually just guarantees they'll only play their music, songs they remixed or songs of theirs remixed by someone else.

They could technically use only DJ equipment (although they don't) to play their songs and it would still be a live set. The fact that they mix their own songs together (a la Daft Punk) would differentiate it from simply pressing play on the CD.

A DJ set, however - guarantees that you'll only hear two or three songs by that specific artist during the set. They will mostly play other people's music in a manner that shows off their "song selection skills."

Honestly, I can't tell if you are meaning Justice only in this explaination, or a Dj set versus a Live set in general. Either way, it makes no sense.

I am a dj, and a musician. I perform Dj sets (spinning vinyl records/cds) & live sets (drums, guitars, synths, FX, analog drum machines).

A LIVE performance on analog (or digital) instruments to recreate songs I produce. Most electronica is produced only for promotional use, not for live performance mainly because no instruments are used (not in all cases obviously, but in relation to Justice, they don't play any instruments)

A Dj set includes other artist's productions, but also would include anything you have done personally in the production area. A dj set is never "live". An if you have enough good tunes to fill a set, you don't need to play other people's stuff. Many top dj's play strictly stuff off their own label, or their own work, with the occasional tracks mixed up with other people of similar sound/style, or simply to vari the grooves.

A Live set vs. Dj set (in relation to Justice specifically) is impossible.
Justice did their entire CD using cubase, garage band, and sample libraries which are made up of cubase samples & artist samples (referencing everything from Slipknot to Queen for MANY TINY SAMPLES). There is no real instruments on the album, therefore, there is no real instruments to play "LIVE".

Now, in relation to Daft Punk, they do something COMPLETELY different in the studio AND live, neither is like Justice.
Daft Punk's live show is much more elaborate than Justice.
Nothing like what Justice does. Justice has one guy who produces more, the other mixes songs in front of people more-so, usually the songs are picked at random by the other guy)

Hope that clears up your confusion.

bkeeley
02-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Justice Live at Coachella = mixing CDs of stuff they like & their album.

No instruments are played. Not a band. Not "Live".
A "LIVE" group needs something to play & sequence/arrange
(whether with instruments , drum machines, computers, etc...)

For example of LIVE see: PORTISHEAD or HOLY FUCK (playing at Coachella)

For example of DJ see: Sebastian or Justice

rage patton
02-07-2008, 11:09 PM
At a Live Justice set... they play only their songs/remixes of thiers. They also use different equiptment.

At a Justice DJ set, they spin other people songs, thrown in a couple of thier own and mix it accordingly. They use simple regular DJ equiptment.

And don't worry everyone who doesn't know exactly what an electronic "live" set is. At this point last year, I had no idea what one was either. But I have learned a lot since Coachella.

bkeeley
02-07-2008, 11:16 PM
At a Live Justice set... they play only their songs/remixes of thiers. They also use different equiptment.

At a Justice DJ set, they spin other people songs, thrown in a couple of thier own and mix it accordingly. They use simple regular DJ equiptment.

And don't worry everyone who doesn't know exactly what an electronic "live" set is. At this point last year, I had no idea what one was either. But I have learned a lot since Coachella.

No, they don't. They play cd's live, sometimes running them through an effect or two. It is still a Dj set. If you can show me where you think they are playing anything LIVE ... and not using "dj equipment" as you call it, please hit me back with a link, because I have numerous performs by Justice on video, along with stacks of interviews, as well as live reviews, all of which confirm they do nothing live but make people dance by mixing cds (dj set).

rage patton
02-07-2008, 11:19 PM
When Justice do DJ sets, they advertise it so people know. Like Detour last year, and at Ultra Music Festival this year.
Go to Justice live set and Justice DJ set, and you will know the difference. They are completely different.

And don't ask me about the technical aspects. I am still very new to eletronic music. Ask orbit or jackstraw about the differences between a live set and DJ set. They both know an insane amount about electronic music.

bkeeley
02-07-2008, 11:32 PM
don't worry, im not looking for clarification here.

justice has done up their stage show to look better than before, and have accommodated the popularity of their latest release by doing more on stage and "less" of the dj aspect. using some effects, some samplers, a synth, but honestly, there is not much "live" about their new setup. While I know what you mean by advertising a DJ vs. a LIVE set, to be clear, not much has changed.

Minus all this confusion, I will be flying down from Canada gettin' up front and dancing my ass off the whole set, because I could careless when I am trying to have a good time. Just wanted to clear up a lot of obvious confusion.

Portishead, Sebastian, Holy Fuck, & Justice is what the weekend is all about for me. Unreal.

breakjaw
02-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Some DJs are more fun to watch mixing than others,not just their light show.I thought Mike Relm was amazing to watch,and also Justice.The crowd for Justice was the real selling point,though.That's all anybody wants at one of these type things,to be swept up in something,to feel a part of it.That's what's great about anything good.Early punk rock,The Who in their heyday,Daft Punk at Coachella '06,Gogol Bordello '07.Just pure visceral energy.

boarderwoozel3
02-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Just pure visceral energy.

This is why coachella is so epic.

flowbee
02-08-2008, 12:47 AM
I like the original version of We Are Your Friends, hearing some of the different spins they've been putting on the song at other shows since Coachella 07', they were just meh. Hope they dont screw it up.

rAnimatorX2
02-08-2008, 06:24 AM
I thought it was pretty badass last yr!

omg wtf bbq
02-08-2008, 02:08 PM
AND

daaaamn, you just schooled that guy

Gyrus
02-08-2008, 02:46 PM
You obviously have no idea what a "live set" actually means. It's practically impossible for a good majority of most electronic acts to recreate their music live

You fucking knob

2 Words

Ableton Live.
It's not that hard.

Just because we write a form of music reliant on samples doesn't mean these can't be resequenced and performed live.
Wth everything being recreated on the spot, It's not that hard to trigger a drumroll while you're holding down an arpeggio for a noise and than taking your other hand and playing a simple melody on another keyboard.
Or you can just be really fucking lazy and have MIDI do it all for you and just add a couple splashes on the top. You can make it as live or pre-recorded as you want.
Point is, it's not that hard.

Ritestyl
02-08-2008, 02:56 PM
You fucking knob

2 Words

Ableton Live.
It's not that hard.

so true.

thomcobain
02-08-2008, 06:36 PM
anyway. they will do it live. they usually do. otherwise it would say (dj set). either way, justice sucks. underworld all day.

M Sparks
02-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Ummm...regardless of the arguments as to what constitutes "live"...THEY are calling it live.

Mar 28 2008...DJ SET @ ULTRA MUISC FESTIVAL...MIAMI
Apr 27 2008...LIVE @ COACHELLA...INDIO

M Sparks
02-09-2008, 10:20 AM
You fucking knob

What, this one?

http://www.mackie.com/products/bigknob/images/TOP_Bigknob_RR.jpg

Yeah, they might use one of those...they're handy.

Gyrus
02-10-2008, 03:59 PM
What, this one?

http://www.mackie.com/products/bigknob/images/TOP_Bigknob_RR.jpg

Yeah, they might use one of those...they're handy.

oooooooooooooooh

sexy.....

I want one!

hypervera
02-10-2008, 08:30 PM
http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs23/i/2008/011/1/0/The_Next_Daft_Punk_by_Ordona547.jpg

thom cobain
02-11-2008, 10:34 AM
justice is for children. daft kicks ass. underworld all day. fatboy 08.

LeKnightClub
02-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Live Set = Wall of Marshalls with Ableton Live as mentioned
DJ Set = cigarettes, CDJ-1000's and the taller one doing nothing, while Xavier mixes.

DJ Set is much more eclectic and longer, Live set is all their shit, or remixes of their shit.

Either way, there are no instruments being played, so "Live" for justice is much different from other live shows.

Personally, the DJ set is much more enjoyable because Xavier is a damn good Dj on Pioneer's, except the looping can get out of hand, similar to SebastiAn and Kavisnky...