PDA

View Full Version : How quick does campground fill up?

Carlo Von Sexron
01-19-2008, 09:08 PM
For my fifth Coachella, I'll finally be camping. I've been searching the past threads for tips, but there is a couple questions I can't find a clear answer on.
I plan on arriving between 10PM-Midnight on Thursday (probably closer to Midnight or later). There will probably be about four of us in the group. Is it likely there will still be four spots together (for one big tent) that late?
Also...Will there be any lights on, or will we be putting everything up in the dark?
Thanks

frozen pilgrim
01-19-2008, 09:31 PM
we showed up at about 2 AM thursday/friday and it looked as though the campground was maybe two thirds full at that stage. they (the campground staff) would have been happy to accomodate a request like four plots together. in fact, how it worked last year wass each person had 7x7, so if there are four of you, you usually get four adjacent 7x7 plots anyways, two back to back on each of two surrounding aisles. and there were groups of eight or so around us that had eight adjacent plots, two deep and four wide, to make a plot 14 x 24 feet. they had two tents and a big tarp over the two for shade- a plan I am copying to the t this year.
they've got huge sets of lights at the perimiter of the field, so setting up at night isn't an issue. in fact, it's almost too well lit- although I was somewhat near the edge of the field, so I imagine further into the thick of it the light is less intense. still more than adequate for setting up though.

Carlo Von Sexron
01-19-2008, 10:14 PM
I think that pretty much answers everything. Thanks.
Though, I guess I have one more question to add to that. I might be the only one of the four showing up at that time, with the others showing up sometime Friday afternoon. Any idea if they would still let me have four spots like that and reserve them for my friends who show up Friday? My guess is 'highly unlikely' but maybe someone would know for sure.
Thanks

dontfeedthebird
01-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I think it would be best to show up with at least one other person and two tents each, or at least show up with everyone else's tent to pitch and they'd be cool with it. They're nice people like that.

Of course it would be your job to fend for the space all night.

frozen pilgrim
01-19-2008, 10:49 PM
yeah that I'm not as sure about, although just from the limited interaction with the campground staff, they're all very helpful people, and I'd expect that as long as you show up on thursday before midnight or so, and talk to one of the staff, you really won't have a problem. worst case scenario, just pack up your camp and move to the new 4x4 they assign to your group.

Odin 8
01-24-2008, 07:30 PM
You may want to bring a flashlight/lantern and definitely a headlamp (awesome for those 2am port-o trips) to help set up.

We had about 8 tents in a 2x4 formation rectangular style with some extra room, so maybe could have been 10 in a 2x5 formation.

Also, make sure to defend your tents at night. We had a guy in our group who was rudely awoken in the middle of Thursday night when people were trying to move his tent since they thought it was empty. They were "cool" once they knew he was in there, but still...

Lorelei
01-25-2008, 02:36 AM
http://www.coachella.com/visitors/onsite-camping#faq0-11

Can we/How can we camp next to each other if we are not arriving together?

This is a tough one but YES YOU CAN. We try VERY hard to accommodate campers. Help us help you. Whoever is first in your group to arrive, you must tell the camp counselors how many people are planning to camp with you. You will be assigned an area and you are responsible for contacting the rest of your group to tell them your camp spot. When your friends arrive they must tell the counselors where you told them you were camping to be directed to that spot. IF for some reason your spot was moved or you can't reach them, you may try and leave a message for them at the onsite camping Cyber Cafe, telling them where your spot is. This should work most of the time and we apologize for any glitches that may occur.