PDA

View Full Version : Just booked at Welk Desert Oasis - Anybody stayed there?

Harrisment
01-19-2008, 01:33 PM
I just booked my room for my first Coachella experience at the Lawrence Welk Desert Oasis in Cathedral City. Has anybody stayed there before? I did google maps from that location to the polo grounds, and it looks to be about a 25 minute drive.

On that note, what do most people do that fly in from out of town and stay at hotels. Is it best to rent a car, or just get a cab to take you to/from Coachella each day? I'm guessing renting a car is the way to go but just wanted to be sure. Me and my girl are flying in from Texas, so the next step is to find a flight into Palm Springs. Thanks!

prettydirtything
01-19-2008, 02:03 PM
I just booked my room for my first Coachella experience at the Lawrence Welk Desert Oasis in Cathedral City. Has anybody stayed there before? I did google maps from that location to the polo grounds, and it looks to be about a 25 minute drive.

On that note, what do most people do that fly in from out of town and stay at hotels. Is it best to rent a car, or just get a cab to take you to/from Coachella each day? I'm guessing renting a car is the way to go but just wanted to be sure. Me and my girl are flying in from Texas, so the next step is to find a flight into Palm Springs. Thanks!

I would hurry in the flights. Sooner the better. Getting a cab home at night is borderline impossible. I would rent a car, and double the amount of time you expect to spend commuting. Also realize that, depending on what time you leave your hotel in the morning and the grounds at night, allot an extra hour or two for traffic in and out of the parking lot. good luck.

I think its funny that in the Palm Springs area they name hotels after laurence welk, and all the locals know who they are talking about.

http://www.ablogistan.com/The%20Lawrence%20Welk%20Show-thumb.jpg

pandaroo
01-19-2008, 02:34 PM
yeah, the earlier you leave the better. However, if they we have shitty headliners, and good smaller acts, driving will be a breeze!
It was so painfull last year (2 hours getting OUT OF THE PARKING LOT) after rage, we booked a place walking distance.
Fly into ontario, rent a car

Harrisment
01-19-2008, 03:02 PM
yeah, the earlier you leave the better. However, if they we have shitty headliners, and good smaller acts, driving will be a breeze!
It was so painfull last year (2 hours getting OUT OF THE PARKING LOT) after rage, we booked a place walking distance.
Fly into ontario, rent a car

Well, too late now as I just booked our flights into Palm Springs Airport. Any particular reason some people prefer flying into Ontario? The airport is only 4 miles from my hotel, and also looks much closer to Indio than Ontario is.

smilingdownward
01-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Well, too late now as I just booked our flights into Palm Springs Airport. Any particular reason some people prefer flying into Ontario? The airport is only 4 miles from my hotel, and also looks much closer to Indio than Ontario is.
its generally less expensive flying into ontario than palm springs. southwest flies into ontario which is even better for saving $. i really cant see any other reason than that.

Harrisment
01-19-2008, 03:56 PM
its generally less expensive flying into ontario than palm springs. southwest flies into ontario which is even better for saving $. i really cant see any other reason than that.

Gotcha. We got round trip on American from Houston to Palm Springs for $218, so not too bad.

gmoneyak
04-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Staying here this year, booked for a week through the 19th..

Who else will be there? Any reviews, suggestions, tips, etc?

Looks nice enough..

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/f5/c5/3d/main-pool-view-from-our.jpg

gaypalmsprings
04-04-2013, 02:03 PM
You must be old.

DO NOT take a taxi. Several threads about this.

gmoneyak
04-04-2013, 02:12 PM
This is the only one I found about this place... c'mon now, gaypalm. I'm not even talking taxis.

baily
04-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Cat City is way the heck outta town. That's a long drive...try to find others staying there to commute with. Be careful as there will be cops out and about and you have a long drive ahead each night.

From most places in Cat City to get to the festival parking is going to take you 50-60 min at minimum. Remember there's going to be a lot of traffic once you exit off the 10. I wouldn't want to be the driver

note: I live in Indio

gaypalmsprings
04-04-2013, 02:19 PM
This is the only one I found about this place... c'mon now, gaypalm. I'm not even talking taxis.

I was referring to the OP. I guess the thread is 5 years old.

BTW - Lawrence Welk is buried in Culver City, CA.

http://www.death2ur.com/lawrencewelkgravesite.jpg

gmoneyak
04-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Im all cool with the drive and everything, I've stayed in Palm Springs before for Coachella... This is my 5th year, so I'm on it. It's always easier going down the 111.

I'm asking more about the resort itself, and who is all crashing there this year, etc..

gmoneyak
04-04-2013, 02:25 PM
I was referring to the OP. I guess the thread is 5 years old.

BTW - Lawrence Welk is buried in Culver City, CA.

http://www.death2ur.com/lawrencewelkgravesite.jpg

Ah...creepy grave marker.