PDA

View Full Version : Your Least Favorite stage at Coachella

brando4n82
01-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Lets hear it. for me, I am really not too fond of the Outdoor Stage. I dont know why, but nothing has really attracted me to that stage before. some decent acts, but thats it

Boourns
01-19-2008, 09:10 AM
The Outdoor Theatre had many of the best acts last year. The problem was that the crew didn't know what the fuck they were doing and all the night performances started late.

Last year my least fave was either the Sahara or the Gobi. I only saw LCD Soundsystem at the Sahara, and it was so crowded I couldn't see anything, even when inside. I only saw Comedians of Comedy in the Gobi last year, and sat outside for 15 minutes of Grizzly Bear, because I couldn't get inside. Both had the least must-sees last year.

No wait, my least favorite would be the dome. Never saw any DJ set in there, and the sound bled to every other stage.

brando4n82
01-19-2008, 09:18 AM
No wait, my least favorite would be the dome. Never saw any DJ set in there, and the sound bled to every other stage.

ahhh thats too bad. Cut Chemist tore it up in the Dome on Sunday

fatbastard
01-19-2008, 10:10 AM
When I'm headed to the parking lot Sunday night. I never comprehend how fast the time went.

thelastgreatman
01-19-2008, 10:17 AM
The acts I caught at the Outdoor were disappointing last year, and I never went over there in 06. Wait, actually Of Montreal was great, really great, but Air had some problems that can't be blamed on the stage and some that could. The sound was weak. Wasn't great for Placebo either, who also sucked for reasons other than the stage. Still, only really seemed loud enough for Of Montreal.

woogie846
01-19-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't really have any stages that I particularly dislike, but if I had to choose one, it'd be the main stage.

Boourns
01-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Hmmm. The main stage usually has great stuff at night, but rarely during the day. And obviously it's the most crowded, but it's possible to get breathing room allll the way in the back.

I'm still an undecided voter.

brando4n82
01-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Hmmm. The main stage usually has great stuff at night, but rarely during the day. And obviously it's the most crowded, but it's possible to get breathing room allll the way in the back.

I'm still an undecided voter.

straight up. the only act I caught this year on the main stage that wasnt a headliner was Willie Nelson. GREAT set. and everyone was just hanging out, sitting down, relaxing, it was very nice. i was pleasntly surprised.

smoke
01-19-2008, 11:55 AM
straight up. the only act I caught this year on the main stage that wasnt a headliner was Willie Nelson. GREAT set. and everyone was just hanging out, sitting down, relaxing, it was very nice. i was pleasntly surprised.

agreed. Willie put on a killer show, and the vibe was unbeatable.

my vote goes to the outdoor theater. good acts, but tech problems made me not want to spend any time there. stephen marley was late, but good. jarvis cocker was late, but good. air was late, but...oh yea...they were so late i ended up leaving.

goatparade
01-19-2008, 11:58 AM
The outdoor stage needs a new sound guy or something....last year the left half of the PA went out for almost half of an of montreal song....it drove me crazy....AIR had great sound however...until they bailed!

MarkO
01-19-2008, 12:24 PM
I don't care for the Sahara much other than for select acts.

brando4n82
01-19-2008, 12:37 PM
The outdoor stage needs a new sound guy or something....last year the left half of the PA went out for almost half of an of montreal song....it drove me crazy....AIR had great sound however...until they bailed!

seriously

pandaroo
01-19-2008, 02:39 PM
The Outdoor stage has the WORST acoustics. The Gobi is always too packed.

deuxmio
01-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Gobi. That train was very annoying.

boarderwoozel3
01-19-2008, 04:13 PM
didn't see a single act at the outdoor last year

Bulletproof
01-19-2008, 04:20 PM
The acts I caught at the Outdoor were disappointing last year, and I never went over there in 06. Wait, actually Of Montreal was great, really great, but Air had some problems that can't be blamed on the stage and some that could. The sound was weak. Wasn't great for Placebo either, who also sucked for reasons other than the stage. Still, only really seemed loud enough for Of Montreal.

Placebo put on a fucking great show.

gratytrainridesagain
01-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Outdoor during the day is always no fun and the gobi at night rarely has any reason to go to it, then they always put that one act in the gobi where it gets far too crowded Whinehouse 07, Gnarls 06

goatparade
01-19-2008, 05:31 PM
gobi chicks are cute

sin213
01-19-2008, 09:36 PM
I don't really have any stages that I particularly dislike, but if I had to choose one, it'd be the main stage.

Word. There are few on the main worth seeing - the real gems are on the smaller stages.

brando4n82
01-20-2008, 10:22 AM
The Outdoor stage has the WORST acoustics. The Gobi is always too packed.

Serious. they should really just make the Gobi the size of the Mojave. imean really, why not?

sassypants
01-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Agreed that outdoor had bad acoustics and it ran last last year. And what's the point of putting up a few bleachers when they are so far back? I guess it's better than nothing.

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-20-2008, 01:26 PM

Agreed.

ghettojournalist
01-20-2008, 10:15 PM
out of the "main" stages, my least favorite would be have to be the Sahara. there haven't been too mant acts that have drawn me there.

hypervera
01-21-2008, 12:46 AM
i have never been in the gobi tent

tessalasset
01-21-2008, 12:46 AM
You should have put the do-lab as an option cause I like all of the stages.

brando4n82
01-21-2008, 06:46 AM
i have never been in the gobi tent

ahh. you missed a Great Girl Talk set last year.

*waits to be harassed for liking Girl Talk*

ghettojournalist
01-21-2008, 07:17 AM
that was a good set. only saw part of it, though.

trentmorrison
01-22-2008, 05:57 AM
there is always a problem year after year with outdoor stage. the video doesnt work, AIR took 45 min, peaches late

and years before that was the same

michaelmontanez
01-22-2008, 10:50 AM
I had to choose mojave. Last year was my first time, and there were so many good bands playing in Mojave, but damn, for some reason that tent is always packed and blazing hot.

nationocean
01-22-2008, 06:13 PM
yeah, my vote is for the outdoor stage. i think it is hard to focus on any act there. plus the main stage bleeds over to it alot.

quicksand
01-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Least favorite from last year was Mojave, only cause I saw 1 act in there. But they (The Black Keys) were rad. There's something I don't dig about the outdoor theatre, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe I need to see some better acts like DJ Shadow up there and it'll gain credibility.

anonimouse
01-22-2008, 06:28 PM
outdoor theatre by a longshot. i think a lot of it has to do with it being tucked in the corner. really there is no other place for it, but you can go from the main stage to the sahara and easily pop your head inside each of the tents. if you want to check the outdoor theatre you have to go a little more out of the way

that and yea, something about that stage i have never liked. only seen a couple bands there in the last few years

tripzz
01-22-2008, 08:26 PM
I have seen some great bands on the outdoor stage like Lemonheads, Placebo , Sonic Youth, Tegan and Sara, Scissor Sisters ect... Tho when the wind is blowing the sound seems to get blown about, and when your trying to watch the Lemonheads with Rage Playing expect distractions. I love the bands just wish the speakers were louder or placed differently

JoshTheBoyd
01-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Main Stage, then Mojave. Main's just too big, it feels pointless for me. And Mojave's too long and closed in.

cansei de ser sexme
01-22-2008, 08:50 PM
last year i thought outdoor had the worst sound and sahara had the best.

mimi3000
01-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Do Lab was the worst. Sorry not my thing. Spent 10 min there on Friday last year and that was enough... the Dome was a nice surprise tho. Went to check out acts at every tent last year. Gonna try to and do that again. Except when JJ is on. He doesn't even deserve to get his full name typed up. ha.

Courtney
01-23-2008, 03:17 PM
I tend to spend the least time at the Main Stage and the Sahara Tent, just because of the bands playing. I'm not even counting the Dome or DoLab because those feel more like art installations to me than stages on par with the others.

MantisMel
01-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Gobi tent! It's definitely the runt of all the stages. Literally...

MonsoonSeason
01-23-2008, 08:00 PM
main stage--that's where the headliners are

Mr.Wyndham
01-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Gobi is too dang small.

Memorial_07
01-26-2008, 08:35 AM
I went to the Outdoor theatre once last year.
And it was for a horrible band my friend wanted to see.

But there was plenty of acts on that stage I would've been delighted to see

xxxxxxxxxx
01-26-2008, 06:55 PM
wow the outdoor theatre gets no love...my favorite performances in '06 were on that stage...mogwai and digable planets were amazing.

paulb
01-26-2008, 07:04 PM
I just voted for Mojave cause in 07 i didnt see a single gig in there. Im sure ill be catching alot of Mojave gigs this year... for this year im trying to avoid the main stage as most as possible.

JSam67
01-26-2008, 07:08 PM
I voted Outdoor Theater, even though I didn't see much in the Gobi (or Sahara) last year, I find it hard to believe they dealt with the sound problems I witnessed a couple times at the Outdoor Theater.

C DUB YA
01-27-2008, 12:28 PM
its impossible to "SEE" anything in the tents anymore unless you camp there all day. Too many people. So I'll say Gobi.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-27-2008, 01:05 PM
I barely ever touch Mojave for some reason...so I voted for that...but the Outdoor always has issues...

MonsoonSeason
01-27-2008, 03:53 PM
mojave is pretty damn good I thinks

hot chip were in there
so were ratatat

Pixiessp
01-27-2008, 07:54 PM
only partially saw Beck in the Gobi in 04.have never been back.

brando4n82
01-28-2008, 07:03 AM
mojave is pretty damn good I thinks

hot chip were in there
so were ratatat

you are forgetting !!!

the Mojave has rerallly good acts! REALLY GOOD

rage patton
01-29-2008, 01:11 PM
I would have to say the outdoor theatre, as of right now. Too many problems with the stage. Its just too bad, because the view behind the stage is great. All the palm trees and the such.
Yet, I find myself in a dilema, because I want a lot of the acts I am excited to see this year to play on the Outdoor theatre. Gogol, Flogging Molly, Battles, etc. The main reason being those acts or two big to play the Mojave in the day, so they would likely mean playing at night in th Mojave. Which could prove to be a conflict problem with the mainstage acts.
Also, I spent a lot of time in the Mojave and Gobi last year. Those two are awesome stages. I love em.

MonsoonSeason
01-29-2008, 01:19 PM
you are forgetting !!!

the Mojave has rerallly good acts! REALLY GOOD

oh man who did I see instead of !!!

oh yeah decemberists, still don't think I would have traded them for !!!

they closed with mariner's revenge song, it was epic

Weatherman
01-30-2008, 04:22 PM
The Outdoor Theatre has always had sound problems every year I've been there (04, 06, 07). Every band I've seen there has at least one fuckup happen. And whoever did the stage mixing last year should've been fired.

For some reason it's always harder to get close to a band in the Mojave than the Gobi. It's also harder to see in the Gobi from the outside. Weird.

johnnypolite
01-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Outdoor Theater easily wins this. Every single year it sounds like shite. Although Arcade Fire in 2005 was amazing.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-02-2008, 10:08 PM
you know what, I dont go to the outdoor theatre much, but that stage has its own little charm, that corner has seen some great acts like placebo and of course arcade fires first coachella appearance in 2005! I like that little corner, my least favorite is the gobi.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-02-2008, 10:09 PM
oh man who did I see instead of !!!

oh yeah decemberists, still don't think I would have traded them for !!!

they closed with mariner's revenge song, it was epic

they usually close with that, not my favorit set by them but ive seen them so many times its hard to say which was my favorite.

Sonicifyouwantit
02-02-2008, 10:11 PM
they always book one band in the mojave that should have been on the main stage every year...last year peter bjorn and john, year before that clap your hands say yeah, wolfmother...it goes on, and beck doing that last minute set in the gobi was such a scene in 2004

andnonewasthewiser
02-07-2008, 02:41 PM
I'd have to say the Sahara Tent. The acts never really catch my interest.

higgybaby23
02-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Despite having some of the marquee acts, the main stage is my least favorite. I prefer the relative intimacy of the other stages. I didn't have to fight to be front row for Amadou and Miriam (Gobi 06), which was priceless.

SFChrissy
03-28-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't think I spend all that much time in gobi/mojave...but I did enjoy catching z-trip w/chester

frozen pilgrim
03-31-2008, 07:15 AM
I like all the stages for different reasons. they also all have drawbacks.
-gobi's often overcrowded, mojave has the same problem, and with that size/crowd ratio, the heat can be just awful.
both stages can also, when semi-deserted, be incredibly, incredibly intimate venues.
-outdoor theater receives a shitload of bleed from the main stage- this could be solved by using some sort of a baffle about eighty feet to the left of the left stack- it'd block sound to the beer garden, but smaller-scale sound reinforcement in the beer tents would a) eliminate sightline issues b)improve sound quality for guests in the beer tents.
the outdoor theater can also be really intimate and open (I'm remembering playing hackey sack like 15 feet from the stage at stephen marley), or it can have the epic, grandiose feeling the main stage provides. lying on my back watching sonic youth was just beautiful.
-sahara receives a lot of criticism for having a tendency to overpower its' neighbors. it is incredibly loud. I'd venture a guess and say its' probably around 130-136Db IN THE 40 HZ SPECTRUM. but the only reason it can be that loud and not damage people's ears is because THIS is where coachella puts its best gear and engineers.
richie hawtin's minimal techno had thousands dancing and shaking. minimal techno's not exactly known for its' excitement level, but the bass was so perfect and so clear...

main stage is inconsistently engineered, and that's disappointing, but it's also hard to provide an even sound field to that many people. bass is too high at the front, too low at the back.
the line arrays are staggered- do the same to the bass cabinets.

frozen pilgrim
04-07-2008, 12:12 PM
bumpitty bump!
I like this poll.
any disagreements/agreements with what I said above??

jimmycrackcorn
04-08-2008, 08:48 PM
the smallest tent whateverthehellits called... i don't think i have ever watched an act from beginning to end in there... :2c

JorgeC
02-08-2009, 07:09 PM
I voted for Gobi because it usually has the least number of acts I want to see. Second is the Outdoor theatre because of the sounds issues and the fact there's nowhere to hide from the sun if you want a decent spot to see the performers (even the performers always seem to be squinting or talking shit about the sun...). Main stage isn't much better compared to OUtdoor, but you have the big screens and lots more shade. Sahara and Mojave are where I spend most of my time.

whynotsmile99
02-08-2009, 09:03 PM
outdoor i avoid like the plague before the sun sets. it's nice at night, except for the sound bleed. easily my least favorite with mojave a close second. Gobi is my favorite, love the very eclectic and world music played there. and Sahara at night is just spectacular

really though, i love it all and we are just nitpicking just to nitpick

bleep
02-08-2009, 09:07 PM
i hate the main stage so much that i cry in exasperation when headliners i actually like are announced

lickety_spit
02-10-2009, 11:20 PM
sahara.
i wandered into it once in '04.
i haven't been back in since.

zajaa
02-11-2009, 10:15 AM
i'm bummed the gobi is the least favorite-- its the closest coachella sets get to a smaller, intimate feel.

for some reason i never want to go watch bands at the outdoor theater, even when it's decent bands. what exactly makes the OT suck so much? i think it seems like a poor man's main stage. i wonder how it could be made cooler.

Ravingmad
02-11-2009, 10:43 AM
I guess the Gobi just because it's so small -- anytime there's someone in there that people have even remotely heard of, it just gets waaaay too packed

digitaldragon03
02-26-2009, 01:39 AM
Outdoor Theater for sure. The fucking strobe lights are a pain at night time.

stinkbutt
02-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Where is the option for the dome that isn't going to let me sleep at night?

BKsaysAction!
02-28-2009, 03:50 AM
Outdoor for me, it just seems so out of the way. Wasn't impressed with most of the bands that played that stage and missed the ones that actually were. I love all three tents and honestly i think i caught maybe 3-4 acts last year on the main stage.

pancakespancakes
03-04-2009, 08:44 PM
The Gobi because of the lack of backdrop. Everyone performing in the daytime looks all silhouetted. And then it's all bright behind them, and you have to wear sunglasses (which I never wear) to see anything. It's kinda annoying to me. I don't seem to see too many bands in there anyway, though.

Some bands it's still fitting, like Battles. I'm actually hoping No Age perform there too because they seem perfect for it.

greghead
03-04-2009, 09:10 PM
definitely the outdoor. Too many sound/video/artist/sun issues for me to deal with.

Although Arcade Fire in 05, MMJ in 06, and the Good, the Bad & the Queen in 07 were pretty fantastic on the OT