PDA

View Full Version : Will the "Rage Ticket Debacle" ever happen again?

SnowShoe
01-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Think back to the wackiness just one year ago:

Single day tickets went on presale, and Sunday's sold out immediately.

Then, everyone was buying two day passes just so they could get their hands on the coveted Sunday Rage ticket.

Then, a whole side industry popped up, where people bought 3 day passes, and sold the Sunday ticket for more than the whole 3 day pass, turning a profit by selling the Fri/Sat ticket later (and attending Coachella for free by doing so).

Then the Fri/Sat tickets became such commonplace, that you could get them for $30 per day, less than half of the face price. If you were a fan of Saturday only, you were in luck.

Rage Against The Machine fucked up the whole ticket system at Coachella, and I would argue that we will never see anything like that again.

Or will we?? Is there any act that could create such a frenzy again?

I'll start the list:

Led Zeppelin

End of list.

microcuts
01-17-2008, 08:42 PM
I see Coachella gradually shifting to a straight single 3-day purchase only. The single-day passes were "limited quantity" last year.

Sushov23
01-17-2008, 08:56 PM
I agree with you, I have been thinking that for a while. Coachella WILL eventually only be a 3 day pass and that is it.

Coates
01-18-2008, 01:51 AM
Coachella by all account is becoming the US glastonbury, and there are a few things it would do well to copy from the best festival ever!

The main being the ticket selling, glasto only sells weekend passes (all 3 days), no day tickets at all. It's so popular that these are snapped up in hours of going on sale and i see no reason why coachella wouldn't be exactly the same, it's almost as popular already! Day tickets only help touts really and in my opinion if you can't make the whole event then tough luck, i would never go to a festival for a day and can't imagine why anyone would, being out there for 3/4 days is all part of the experience. It's not a regular gig or a day out - it's a massive festival!

Wristbands - do they have these at coachella? i get the impression you give in your ticket each day and then you cant leave and come back in, which sounds poor. At glastonbury you hand in your ticket and get a durable wristband that lasts very well (some people have them on for years!) it always on so you can leave the site and return if you like and you don't need to queue up each day for your tickets or to show them on the door, you come and go as you please! Your tickets have your name/address and photo on them as well and this eliminates touts almost completely.

Arena - in the UK most festivals have an arena where you cant take in your beer or food from your campsite, unlike glastonbury which lets you go wherever you want with whatever you bring with you.

I would imagine the organisers of coachella have been to other festivals and hopefully glastonbury so they should be aware of these things, it would help make coachella even better i'm sure!

sbessiso
01-18-2008, 06:19 AM
coachella has wristbands but you're not allowed to leave the grounds and come back (for some odd fucking reason), this is where bonnaroo excels, i was able to leave, go back to my tent, purchase my "items" and be back in time for franz ferdinand

oh yeah, bonnaroo also supplies you with water, but thats off topic

betao
01-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Led Zeppelin or a Pink Floyd reunion would sell out its day instantly.

Courtney
01-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Coachella by all account is becoming the US glastonbury, and there are a few things it would do well to copy from the best festival ever!

The main being the ticket selling, glasto only sells weekend passes (all 3 days), no day tickets at all. It's so popular that these are snapped up in hours of going on sale and i see no reason why coachella wouldn't be exactly the same, it's almost as popular already! Day tickets only help touts really and in my opinion if you can't make the whole event then tough luck, i would never go to a festival for a day and can't imagine why anyone would, being out there for 3/4 days is all part of the experience. It's not a regular gig or a day out - it's a massive festival!

Wristbands - do they have these at coachella? i get the impression you give in your ticket each day and then you cant leave and come back in, which sounds poor. At glastonbury you hand in your ticket and get a durable wristband that lasts very well (some people have them on for years!) it always on so you can leave the site and return if you like and you don't need to queue up each day for your tickets or to show them on the door, you come and go as you please! Your tickets have your name/address and photo on them as well and this eliminates touts almost completely.

Arena - in the UK most festivals have an arena where you cant take in your beer or food from your campsite, unlike glastonbury which lets you go wherever you want with whatever you bring with you.

I would imagine the organisers of coachella have been to other festivals and hopefully glastonbury so they should be aware of these things, it would help make coachella even better i'm sure!

I just learned a new word! (Touts.)

Coates, thanks for the thoughtful first post. I wish more new people on the board would choose to post quality over quantity.

Unfortunately, from what I understand, the lack of ins-and-outs at Coachella is due to the local city government's restrictions, and not the choice of the festival organizers themselves.

As for the beer thing, I'm actually not opposed to the beer gardens at Coachella. It would be one thing if the weather was more like Glastonbury, but with the dessert temperatures and dryness, it's not like I want to be chugging pints all day long anyway.

SnowShoe
01-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Led Zeppelin or a Pink Floyd reunion would sell out its day instantly.

Back on topic.... we have 3 acts:

Led Zep
Pink Floyd
The Smiths (?)

These might be the only acts that could cause the ticket chaos that we saw last year (3 day passes selling out due to one strong act on Sunday).

U2 and the Police wouldn't do it. The Who couldn't do it. We know Radiohead or White Stripes can't do it.

Agreed? Any others?

suprefan
01-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Where did my post go?

THE SMITHS

END THREAD

Coates
01-20-2008, 09:06 AM
I just learned a new word! (Touts.)

Coates, thanks for the thoughtful first post. I wish more new people on the board would choose to post quality over quantity.

Unfortunately, from what I understand, the lack of ins-and-outs at Coachella is due to the local city government's restrictions, and not the choice of the festival organizers themselves.

As for the beer thing, I'm actually not opposed to the beer gardens at Coachella. It would be one thing if the weather was more like Glastonbury, but with the dessert temperatures and dryness, it's not like I want to be chugging pints all day long anyway.

i've only ever read the board cos i wanna learn about the festival without irritating people but i think there are a few things i could suggest that would help from this side of the water!

i cant wait for this year, it's costing me a small fortune to come from England but it should be worth it from what i hear. only fingers crossed the american ladies will be loving my accent :D hehe, of course it's all about the music really :)

heyimazombie
01-20-2008, 04:39 PM

i didnt know cities could legally do that, whats to stop them from doing the same to say.. mc donalds and then taxing mcdonalds way over the top!

jigawig
01-20-2008, 06:49 PM
i dont know that its so much the city...think about it, most concerts you go to in any city do not allow in/out

devon
01-20-2008, 09:24 PM
isn't it about security and having some control?? Without that do you guys think there would be way more people dehydrating from being too drunk or high? Imagine being able to catch all the bands you wanna see with a few beers in your hand. Not really possible from the beer tents.
Plus, they get all that revenue from the seven buck beers and the food. Probably keeps our ticket prices lower.

tessalasset
01-20-2008, 11:54 PM
i didnt know cities could legally do that, whats to stop them from doing the same to say.. mc donalds and then taxing mcdonalds way over the top!
i think it might have more to do with underage drinking/drunk in public shit. i'm not sure. but i could imagine kids going into the festival sober, coming out and getting drunk/taking drugs in their car/hotel room, and then being able to come right back in. at least that's why they do it at all of the venues in los angeles. pretty much once you leave the property, you are gone for the night unless you want to buy another ticket.

tessalasset
01-20-2008, 11:55 PM
my post didn't really make sense re-reading it.

Robototron
01-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Where did my post go?

THE SMITHS

END THREAD

Are you serious? The Smiths aren't anywhere near famous enough to cause a US festival to sell out the way Rage did. Maybe if Coachella moved to the UK, but the average Coachella-goer probably doesn't care all that much about the Smiths.

amy2705
01-21-2008, 10:10 AM
i came last year from the UK and was worried that the beer garden thing wouldn't work but it does so much more chilled out. Coachella is f**king amazing compared to anything we have in the UK.

Robototron
01-21-2008, 10:12 AM
i came last year from the UK and was worried that the beer garden thing wouldn't work but it does so much more chilled out. Coachella is f**king amazing compared to anything we have in the UK.

You guys have like, 10 fucking festivals a month over the summer. We have 3 or 4 good festivals for the entire year.

amy2705
01-21-2008, 10:27 AM
mostly they are all bollocks

Tijuana
01-21-2008, 04:07 PM

Then, everyone was buying two day passes just so they could get their hands on the coveted Sunday Rage ticket.

Then, a whole side industry popped up, where people bought 3 day passes, and sold the Sunday ticket for more than the whole 3 day pass, turning a profit by selling the Fri/Sat ticket later (and attending Coachella for free by doing so).

Then the Fri/Sat tickets became such commonplace, that you could get them for $30 per day, less than half of the face price. If you were a fan of Saturday only, you were in luck.

Rage Against The Machine fucked up the whole ticket system at Coachella, and I would argue that we will never see anything like that again.

I'll start the list:

Led Zeppelin

End of list.

That's why they are putting Roger Waters to close on Sunday. He will attract an older crowd that will not rush into buying tickets, but a strong enough headliner to bring people to the festival on Sunday.

The only reason all this debacle happens is because of all the young people that rush into buying tickets on Ebay. Every year it's the same thing: overpriced tickets on Ebay and then when you go to the festival there are a bunch of people selling tickets under face value or you can find tickets at the entrance booth

Coates
01-22-2008, 03:51 AM
amy what the hell are you talking about? go to glasto and tell me it isnt incredible or reading fest, or isle of wight. even our small festivals are mint - we're totally fucking spoiled for choice.

back to the original topic, with this line up i wouldnt worry about a ticket problem this year...

anonimouse
01-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Are you serious? The Smiths aren't anywhere near famous enough to cause a US festival to sell out the way Rage did. Maybe if Coachella moved to the UK, but the average Coachella-goer probably doesn't care all that much about the Smiths.

do you have any idea how hugely popular morrissey is in the latin community in socal? ever been to a morrissey show? a smiths reunion could start a "ticket debacle" just based on their socal fan base alone.

lostsoul86
01-22-2008, 11:52 PM

I'll start the list:

Led Zeppelin

End of list.

i dont like zeppelin but ya if any band can create that drama it would be them

Lavender
01-23-2008, 08:17 AM
It was ashame what happened with the "sold out" ticket situation last year. Everyone kept saying that you could not get tickets at the festival.....what bunk! My boyfriend and I showed up on Saturday am, and some kind couple actually GAVE us two free tickets to the Saturdays's show, since two of their industry buddies were not coming.

Then we found out that they were selling day passes at the box office at regular price of $90 per ticket, and we also met some gals that were trying to sell their extra Sunday tickets for $60 piece.

SO...may that frenzy never happen again....people don't need to be ripped off in order to go to a fabulous festival.

Don't fall for it.....there are always regular priced tickets!

BrettShipes
01-23-2008, 05:22 PM
do you have any idea how hugely popular morrissey is in the latin community in socal? ever been to a morrissey show?

Lolla '04... oh... wait...

instinct
01-23-2008, 05:32 PM
coachella has wristbands but you're not allowed to leave the grounds and come back (for some odd fucking reason), this is where bonnaroo excels, i was able to leave, go back to my tent, purchase my "items" and be back in time for franz ferdinand

Coachella has wristbands?? How come I never got one?

LOL.. Besides.. Would you really use that In and Out? Would you really want to wait in line.. go back outside.. go to your car (however far away).. drive somewhere.. come back.. wait in line again? I guess if you are just going to drink in your car, that's not as bad.. but it still takes forever to get to the car and there would probably be an act you'd be missing.

peggah
01-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Coachella has wristbands for bands, vip and camping. It's not like Lollapalooza, where if you have a 3 day pass, you get one wristband to wear all weekend.

at least, I doubt they'll change it this year.

unknowndrummer66
01-23-2008, 09:53 PM

its in fucking indio why would u want to leave there is nothing to do

emtgreg
01-25-2008, 10:10 AM
its in fucking indio why would u want to leave there is nothing to do

SRSLY

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-25-2008, 12:27 PM
hmmm.....Again what Rage Patton said does make sense...Pink Floyd could sell out the festival in a heartbeat...so why post them right away and have what happened last year happen again? If ticket sales don't do well...watch them pull the PF card and that way all the true Coachella folks will have gotten their tickets already...

Memorial_07
01-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Yes.

If The Smiths, Talking Heads or Nirvana got back together