PDA

View Full Version : Walking

ttboy80
01-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Have you guys walked to the Polo Fields from a hotel or condo?

We are looking at making a 2 mile trek... maybe with booze.

what are your thoughts or experiences in walking?

psychic friend
01-15-2008, 10:42 PM
i cant say ive done it in the desert but i walk 2 miles each morning and i cant believe its only 45 degrees sometimes. in so cal no less.

in the heat i say keep hydrated and dont rush. . but it's totally doable. and probably faster than traffic at times.

stay tuned for a variety of replys. :)

ttboy80
01-15-2008, 11:00 PM
thank you dani!

Yeah last year we spent an hour driving each way and at one point two hours in the parking lot... we are planning accordingly :)

pandaroo
01-15-2008, 11:01 PM
i cant say ive done it in the desert but i walk 2 miles each morning and i cant believe its only 45 degrees sometimes. in so cal no less.

in the heat i say keep hydrated and dont rush. . but it's totally doable. and probably faster than traffic at times.

stay tuned for a variety of replys. :)
heard that. its easy in portland because of mild climate and the short blocks. 2 miles is nothing. we just worry because its the desert.
so I guess margaritas are not qualified to hydrate us?? maybe we should pack our bikes??
how do you bring a bike on a plane?

BROKENDOLL
01-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Have you guys walked to the Polo Fields from a hotel or condo?

We are looking at making a 2 mile trek... maybe with booze.

what are your thoughts or experiences in walking?
Left, right, left, right, sip, oops! Left, right...Okay, seriously now...2 miles isn't bad if it's early enough in the day here in April. For the locals, we actually think April is the best time of the year as far as weather goes.Up until about 1 pm it should be fine, and if you stay all day into nite at the fest, the walk back will be alot cooler. Probably like a warm day in Portland. Where are you staying?

vogina
01-16-2008, 12:43 AM
have some shoes on.. walked from the freeway exit to coachella... with sandals, not a good idea

fatbastard
01-16-2008, 03:59 AM
Should mention that there are local police and highway patrol around the area. Bag those tall cans.

ttboy80
01-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Left, right, left, right, sip, oops! Left, right...Okay, seriously now...2 miles isn't bad if it's early enough in the day here in April. For the locals, we actually think April is the best time of the year as far as weather goes.Up until about 1 pm it should be fine, and if you stay all day into nite at the fest, the walk back will be alot cooler. Probably like a warm day in Portland. Where are you staying?

PGA West... On the Palmer course. around 54th and jefferson.

invisiblerobots
01-16-2008, 08:11 AM
I walked to and from the venue in 2004. We were staying at that shithole Motel 6 in Indio. It's totally doable.

Blinken
01-16-2008, 08:55 AM
I walked from Indian wells last year on Friday, the walk there was great . . . The walk back at the end of the day was absoulte hell. I used the last of my energy at Gogol Bordello so i was completly drained walking back.

elChurro
01-16-2008, 09:21 AM
The walk to there should be fine, but getting back after being on your feet most of the day is gonna suck... throw in the no sidewalks but powdered dirt in the air and floor and you better stop at the grocery store on your way back for extra soap.

mountmccabe
01-16-2008, 10:13 AM
I walked around the festival grounds from my off-site camping the last two years and it was so worth it to not have to deal with traffic. I didn't miss anybody I wanted to see.

My walk was 20-25 minutes and I'd usually bring a bottle of water or gatorade to drink along the way to keep hydrated - I would've been fine without but it was a good start to the day.

pandaroo
01-16-2008, 01:04 PM
How about bikes? we thought about renting and riding the 2 miles there. should be safe chained up right? I guess it depends where we chain them up

bartelby
01-16-2008, 02:46 PM
PGA West... On the Palmer course. around 54th and jefferson.

my friends stayed there last year and managed to do it but they said it was a BRUTAL walk home at night... by Sunday they just took the car...

we walk in from the Mountain View properties and it can get pretty rough by the end of the weekend...its about a 30min walk door to door

the worst part is all the sand/dust at night when its a bit windy - my throat was on fire by the time we got home most days

heatherxxll
01-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Ha, I'm going to be staying at the shithole Motel 6. I was wondering the same thing, traffic was phenomenally bad at the end of every night last year. Google maps says 4 miles though? 4 miles both ways...eh. Not so sure.

pandaroo
01-16-2008, 03:41 PM
my friends stayed there last year and managed to do it but they said it was a BRUTAL walk home at night... by Sunday they just took the car...

we walk in from the Mountain View properties and it can get pretty rough by the end of the weekend...its about a 30min walk door to door

the worst part is all the sand/dust at night when its a bit windy - my throat was on fire by the time we got home most days
Do you remember if there is anywhere on the way where we could ditch our car and walk the rest of the way? We just really want to avoid the parking lot

MarkO
01-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Most of the roads close to the festival site are strict 'no parking' zones per Indio PD. Park at your peril.

suprefan
01-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Go for it, it can be easier, just make sure you have nothing that would possibly have to go back into a car.

pandaroo
01-17-2008, 05:56 PM
bikes seem to be looking good