PDA

View Full Version : CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND #3 - CASCADE VS. AYAHUASCA

menikmati
01-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Create A Festival - Round #3 - Cascade Festival vs. Ayahuasca Festival

Okay, here is the sixth match of the third round. You're voting on which festival you like the best. Take into account any type of factor(s) you want. Which bands you like the best. The location. The ticket price. The extras. Pretend if you had one choice of going to a festival, and you were gonna spend your money on one of these, which would it be? Whatever the case, you're voting one of these into the next round!

Voting will last 3 days, and you're only allowed to vote if you have 200 posts or more (votes are public, so I'll know, so don't waste your time if you have less than 200 - unless you've entered a poster yourself). And NO alias voting. If I even suspect you to be an alias, you're votes won't count (sorry bug, abe, granny and more).

Please note, the winner of this round will move onto Round 4, which is the first round that will start including set times...so reminder: WHOEVER WINS THIS CONTEST, REMEMBER YOU SUBMIT SETTIMES FOR THE NEXT ROUND (I'LL EMAIL YOU INFO).

Choice #1

Cascade Festival

http://www.ebombfilms.com/createafestival/finalposters/cascade_n.jpg

Ticket Price: $200.00
Onsite Camping
No Noise Curfew
Open Taping

Choice #2

Ayahuasca Festival

http://www.ebombfilms.com/createafestival/finalposters/ayahuasca_i.jpg

Ticket Price: $200.00
Reunion: Pavement
No Noise Curfew

PassiveTheory
01-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Oh hey... Two identical festivals! What originality!

miscorrections
01-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Oooh, Jonathan Richman and The Gothic Archies. If The Gothic Archies promised to play The Tiny Goat I'd be there for sure.

i_like_cake530
01-15-2008, 08:57 PM
It pisses me off when festival designers pick the most obvious, most unoriginal, and most popular bands as their headliners. If you are going to pick Bowie, Prince or Radiohead...pick one of them, and then be original on the next two headliners...picking two of them is pushing it for me too. I would pick originality over popularity anyday...these two posters are lucky that they are facing each other because the headliners cancel out...it's gonna be a toughy.

Bosco
01-15-2008, 08:57 PM
props to the disneyland idea. It was basically the same idea I was thinking for location, except mine was gonna be Disney World (if I had participated this year).

scoop49er
01-15-2008, 09:14 PM
cascade by default

suprefan
01-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Cascade, I HATE Disneyland.

kreutz2112
01-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Oh hey... Two identical festivals! What originality!

this is what I have been saying and why I advocated that everyone vote for Gold Coast. These two festivals are shit. shit.

edit: actually the disney land one doesnt have that bad of lineup (i.e. Pavement, The Avalanches, Magnetic Fields, Mogwai, Doves, Magnolia Electric Co., Clinic, Future Sound of London). I almost didnt see all those electronic acts. Bad poster design.

edti #2: I just saw that the other fest also has avalanches and fsol oh well they have Pavement so my vote stays the same.

betao
01-15-2008, 09:58 PM
the colors on the poster for the disney festival somehow melted my right eye.

PassiveTheory
01-15-2008, 11:08 PM
What happened to your left?

Abe Lincoln
01-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Big Star?!

paulb
01-16-2008, 12:07 AM
Im not a fan of either poster....at least I can read the Disney one better. Disney has Justice, but Cascade has ACDC....the Radiohead, Prince, Bowie headliners are very blah. Get something new. Im a big fan of Radiohead, but dont like the other 2 enough.

Cascade gets my vote.

Boourns
01-16-2008, 03:03 AM
More bands I like: draw
Consistency: consistency is unknown for Ayahuasca since there acts aren't listed by day, so Cascade
Headliners: LOL...wow. I know these are the most popular headliners and they are the most popular for a reason, but still. Damn. But I'm not going to hate on a fest for that, just as long as there's originality in the rest of the festival. Definitely a draw.
Sub-headliners: Cascade, because it has Portishead, Sigur Ros, Beck, Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I like how both have Devo and The Knife.
Undercard: both have goodies, but I am feeling Ayahuasca more.
Reunion: Cascade doesn't have one, but Ayahuasca has Pavement, so...draw
Venue: Ayahuasca, because Disneyland is the last venue I'd ever expect. Not sure how it would work, though.
Diversity: Cascade has more diversity technically with all the hip hop and such, but I must say that I am impressed by the verteran acts at Ayahuasca: Stevie Wonder, Chuck Berry, Lou Reed are all brilliant additions, so I'm leaning towards Ayahuasca. Cascade's Sly & the Family Stone is also brilliant and unexpected. I dunno about this category.
Unique/unusual acts: Ayahuasca has Kiiiiiii!
Poster: draw...I really dig the vibe I get from Cascade's poster, and I like the colorfulness and the font of Ayahuasca. Where can I get the Disney font?
Wild card: Ayahuasca has Jarvis Cocker. Jarvis Cocker playing "Disney Time" at Disney? Nuff said.
Wild card: Cascade has those film and art exhibits
Wild card: Ayahuasca has Space Mountain

Winner: very, VERY close. These might be the two most evenly-matched lineups so far, IMHO. But I gotta go with Ayahuasca.

sonofhal
01-16-2008, 06:13 AM
All the posters this year are way too similar. I voted for Ayahuwhatnow purely on a Pavement tip. I would have to be at any reunion show they did.

betao
01-16-2008, 06:53 AM
the similar headliner thing is funny. everyone picking what they think will win.

however, the posters look the same because of the budget. like the sub-headliners list... as soon as you saw it, you started thinking of big names that werent put onto it, but could have.

mountmccabe
01-16-2008, 09:59 AM
I am not sure how they got Disneyland to allow a festival called Ayahuasca to take place on their grounds.

If this contest were just a list of bands then Ayahuasca would win. Since it is more than that... this is going to be tougher to decide.

brando4n82
01-16-2008, 10:26 AM
It pisses me off when festival designers pick the most obvious, most unoriginal, and most popular bands as their headliners. If you are going to pick Bowie, Prince or Radiohead...pick one of them, and then be original on the next two headliners...picking two of them is pushing it for me too. I would pick originality over popularity anyday...these two posters are lucky that they are facing each other because the headliners cancel out...it's gonna be a toughy.

AMEN!

matsuolost
01-16-2008, 11:21 AM
winner: gold coast

Abe Lincoln
01-16-2008, 01:08 PM
I am not sure how they got Disneyland to allow a festival called Ayahuasca to take place on their grounds.

Even more amazing is the fact thay are permitting Butthole Surfers to play at said festival...

leo01g
01-16-2008, 01:19 PM
In think Ayahuasca wins it for me. I live like 15 minutes away from it

woogie846
01-16-2008, 02:57 PM
How the hell is Sufjan Stevens that low on Friday for Cascade???

PassiveTheory
01-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Because the Dresden Dolls > Sufjan Stevens.

Courtney
01-16-2008, 03:20 PM
I am really having a tough time forcing myself to read Ayahuasca's poster. The poster design and unappealing location are enough to make me want to automatically vote for Cascade. But I'm going to try to actually read through the list of bands and make a more comprehensive comparison.

kreutz2112
01-16-2008, 03:39 PM
winner: gold coast

agreed.

menikmati
01-16-2008, 06:17 PM
DJ's at TomorrowLand seems kinda cool.

And, for those still talking about Goldcoast...it was you guys who voted Cascade for the win in their matchup, right? Yeah...

Somewhat Damaged
01-16-2008, 06:48 PM
I think you guys who are saying these two festivals are identical doth protest too much. Yes, they share a lot of similar acts: of those that I'd be interested in seeing, there are 19 that appear on both posters. But going beyond those acts, there are a whopping 40 acts at Cascade who I would like to see, and of those, there are 15 who I would be ecstatic about. Ayahuasca, on the other hand, has 23 total acts who I would be interested in seeing, and I would be excited about 8 of those. The bulk number of acts I'd like to see makes this an easy decision, and would do so even if the Ayahuasca poster didn't have so much going against it.
First, sorry to the creator but it isn't a very attractive poster. Secondly, I don't like the ambiguity about who's playing which day. With Cascade, I imagine the set order will look something like MIA -> Missy Elliott -> Sly and the Family Stone -> Prince, Goldfrapp -> Portishead -> David Bowie, and Sigur Ros -> Spiritualized -> Radiohead. I mean, who wouldn't salivate over that? Yes, I know, it's lazy to have Prince, Bowie, and Radiohead as headliners, but what can set a festival apart is which bands they have leading up to them. And with Ayahuasca, I have no idea who will be leading into Prince, Bowie, or Radiohead because there's nothing indicating who's playing on which day. Sure, in the next round that won't be an issue, but I would hold this against a festival in real life -- how do I know there isn't going to be a day that I want to see just 3 bands and there are 20 I'm interested in on another day, but I'll only get to see half of them due to conflicts? -- and as such I've got to mark it as a demerit in this contest.
I do have to give props to Ayahuasca for some of the booking decisions we haven't seen much yet, if at all: Lou Reed, Chuck Berry, Violent Femmes, Butthole Surfers, and FC Kahuna. Is FC Kahuna still together? I was strongly considering putting them on my poster but didn't think anyone would give a shit about them.

rage patton
01-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Gogol Bordello looks like thier name was meant to be written in the Disney font.

i_like_cake530
01-16-2008, 08:38 PM
I regret not voting for Gold Coast last round.

Abe Lincoln
01-16-2008, 11:57 PM
there are a whopping 40 acts at Cascade who I would like to see, and of those, there are 15 who I would be ecstatic about. Ayahuasca, on the other hand, has 23 total acts who I would be interested in seeing, and I would be excited about 8 of those. The bulk number of acts I'd like to see makes this an easy decision
Cascade has a lot more acts,tho',and more potential set times conflicts...

ttboy80
01-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Cascade for the film school alone!!!!! (ok except for that joker Barney)

The other poster makes my eyes puke!

Abe Lincoln
01-17-2008, 07:19 AM
Because the Dresden Dolls > Sufjan Stevens.
I don't see Dresden Dolls on Cascade.They are on the Disneyland one.

PassiveTheory
01-17-2008, 09:30 PM
This is true... but I Sufjan is buried beneath the Dolls on Ayahuasca, so... that's what I thought was meant.

kreutz2112
01-18-2008, 08:34 AM
I just realized that you can ride the rides at the disneyland fest from 8 am until noon when music starts.

i_like_cake530
01-18-2008, 08:54 AM
This is true... but I Sufjan is buried beneath the Dolls on Ayahuasca, so... that's what I thought was meant.

it was fairly obvious what you meant...Abe's just gotten a little slow in his old age.

Abe Lincoln
01-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Who's to say you can't ride the rides while the music is playing?The poster just says Park Opens 8AM...

Abe Lincoln
01-18-2008, 08:58 AM
It looks like Sufjan is right next to Dresden Dolls on the Ayahuasca poster,so I don't quite understand what was meant by Dresden Dolls>Sufjan Stevens still...

kreutz2112
01-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Who's to say you can't ride the rides while the music is playing?The poster just says Park Opens 8AM...

right, but I wouldn't ride the rides while bands are playing because I would be watching the bands.

Boourns
01-18-2008, 01:48 PM
What's with all the hate for the Ayahuasca poster? It's a bit gaudy, yes, but maybe that's the point. Disney and all. You gotta give it props for being something different from the standard "white text on top of a scenery pic."

betao
01-18-2008, 07:14 PM
is that Madness I see on Ayahuasca's poster? wouldnt that be a reunion?

Abe Lincoln
01-18-2008, 11:38 PM
What's with all the hate for the Ayahuasca poster? It's a bit gaudy, yes, but maybe that's the point. Disney and all.
To use one of my favorite lines from Spinal Tap,"It looks like an Australian's nightmare."
But that doesn't necessarily mean I don't like it.
Madness is coming out with a new album soon and have been touring off and on,so they aren't a reunion.I thought Big Star must be a reunion,until I saw on Wiki that they played the Fillmore last year.That would be the band I'd most want to see from Ayahuasca.Sly and the Family Stone would be my choice on Cascade.

orbit
01-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Nice to see Steel Pulse there.

boarderwoozel3
01-19-2008, 03:47 PM
AC/DC?!!! Stop the contest should stop now and declare cascade the winner. Question though, how are they billed below prince? Wait, on second thought, it wouldn't be a good idea for AC/DC fans to wait through Prince's set. Thats another crowded house fiasco waiting to happen. Carry on...

breakjaw
01-19-2008, 05:19 PM
I am eager to see how the set times/film school thing works for Cascade.I got kinda busy with work and such,so I didn't get a chance to break down my voting on the last few festivals posted.

goodgrl
01-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Cascade for me- I really love the idea of the multimedia festival.