PDA

View Full Version : is it weird if i go by myself? has anyone here gone solo?

sbessiso
01-09-2008, 06:09 AM
i dont think my friends are gunna wanna go to Ella this year, financial reasons i believe, especially since bonnaroo is so much cheaper, but i have a sneaking suspicion that the Ella lineup is going to be mindblowing

is it weird if i go on my own? ive been wanting to take a trip by myself for awhile now

but i was wondering if anyone here has gone to coachella all by themselves, and what was that like

gaypalmsprings
01-09-2008, 06:16 AM
No one ever goes to Ella by themselves. That is socially irresponsible. Search Craigs List for a weekend pal.

luveebunni08
01-09-2008, 06:21 AM
i don't travel by myself to coachella, the company is nice. i used to have this weird paranoid feeling that if i separated from whoever i came with we would be lost forever but last year i branched out and saw a couple acts by myself, looked at the art installations and took some pictures and it was chill. people are really nice so i think you'll be ok as far as needing help with anything or just hanging out with people.

it would be wise to come with at least one other person if it's your first time but i think you'll be ok otherwise.

sbessiso
01-09-2008, 06:22 AM
No one ever goes to Ella by themselves. That is socially irresponsible. Search Craigs List for a weekend pal.

doesnt that seem a little weird too??

actually, after a bit of thinking, i may go to bonnaroo instead, im in miami, fl, and coachella is just SO EXPENSIVE for me, somehow the bonnaroo tix are way cheaper, drugs are easier to get, everyone is a dirty hippy for a full 4 days, magical

that being said, i still havent seent the Ella lineup, if its mindblowing like i think it will be, ill just sell a kidney and find some random craigs list stranger to go with

picks up chair
01-09-2008, 06:32 AM
I went in '04, '05, and '07 by myself. It's great having the ability to see whoever you want, whenever you want, without meeting your "group" at some designated time. No need for a phone, etc. You'll meet more people when you go by yourself. You have to put forth an effort though, introducing yourself all weekend gets tiring.

Heresy
01-09-2008, 09:25 AM
I was considering going by myself in 07 since my friend lagged on getting tickets, but she ended up buying some from eBay.

I think I would've got killed if I went by myself. I don't do well by myself in large crowds :/

anti-square
01-09-2008, 09:30 AM
If your a grown ass person, you can and should have just as much fun doing anything by yourself. Unless you have a vagina. If that's the case, then I am sorry, you will get raped.

psychic friend
01-09-2008, 09:33 AM
The biggest thread on this whole message board is the "camping all alone" thread. So obviously there are a lot of people who go alone to Coachella.

hellooooooooooooooo!

SFChrissy
01-09-2008, 09:38 AM
be adventerous!!!

fatbastard
01-09-2008, 09:45 AM
V9twbBh2Hd0

Pixiessp
01-09-2008, 09:46 AM
buy your ticket
go to Coachella
if someone changes their mind about going and
can get a ticket then great.
if not,keep talking to us in here and chat room and
you will have plenty of people to hang with.
this is a good community.
Where are you coming from by the way?
Saw you in the chat last night I think but do not recall where you said you were from.

HunterGather
01-09-2008, 10:21 AM
I dont think its weird to roam around the festival by yourself, but its prolly best you travel with at least one other person.

SFChrissy
01-09-2008, 10:24 AM
^^^you don't need your hand held to be adventerous and to enjoy one of the best opportunities of your life...

jimmycrackcorn
01-09-2008, 10:33 AM
<gone w/ people & w/out.... although it's nice to have someone to hold your stuff if you need to hit the port-o-lets, i have had more fun by myself than w/a group.... + they have lockers now too!:thu

faxman75
01-09-2008, 11:23 AM
I dont think its weird to roam around the festival by yourself, but its prolly best you travel with at least one other person.

Yeah because all kinds of people with Aidz needles will stab you on the plane ans stuff.

Srsly? Why the FUCK is it best to travel with someone?

downingthief
01-09-2008, 12:09 PM
I went by myself last year. Met up with some great people from the board, but I controlled my own schedule. If I knew some people were seeing a band I wanted to see, I hung out with them. If not, I went solo. Bottom line is I got to see the bands I wanted. It was great.

SheriNOIR
01-09-2008, 12:58 PM
I went by myself. all the way from sunny england. some lovely folk gave me a home for the weekend though. So I didn't have to camp by myslef haha. You should do bonnaroo and coachella. save up. you only live once :).

gaypalmsprings
01-09-2008, 02:30 PM
I went by myself. all the way from sunny england. some lovely folk gave me a home for the weekend though. So I didn't have to camp by myslef haha. You should do bonnaroo and coachella. save up. you only live once :).

Ha. You had a free ticket.

algunz
01-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Traveling by myself are some of the best times I've ever had.

psychic friend
01-09-2008, 03:10 PM
I went to reading and leeds festival in the U.K. by myself.

had a BLAST!

gaypalmsprings
01-09-2008, 03:13 PM
http://www.roflcat.com/images/cats/270915351_bc8e626c68.jpg

MissingPerson
01-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Reading...? And Leeds?

Oh Psychic Friend, does Coachella know?

boarderwoozel3
01-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Reading...? And Leeds?

Oh Psychic Friend, does Coachella know?

:lool

Courtney
01-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Unless your friends have the exact same musical taste as you, you're probably going to want to split up at some point even if you do attend the festival with other people.

Going by yourself is fine and safe and fun as long as you're not freaked out by being alone. I'd suggest camping because it's cheaper and you're more likely to meet people.

miscorrections
01-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Courtney's right. I went alone last year, camped with a bunch of other people from here, and had a blast. Planning to see shows by yourself is probably the best policy too, so you can see exactly what you want without anyone else trying to convince you otherwise.

sbessiso
01-09-2008, 03:54 PM
you guys are really helpful, i appreciate all the feedback, it all boils down on Jan 21st (allegedly), if the lineup is kickass enough for me to venture out of miami, ill see you all there

and camping is the only option, its half the fun really!

HunterGather
01-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Yeah because all kinds of people with Aidz needles will stab you on the plane ans stuff.

Srsly? Why the FUCK is it best to travel with someone?

Because I said so

shakermaker113
01-09-2008, 05:45 PM
The biggest thread on this whole message board is the "camping all alone" thread. So obviously there are a lot of people who go alone to Coachella.

hellooooooooooooooo!

that's assuming the thread has stayed on topic the whole time. I've not read it, so I can't say for sure, but most threads don't stay on topic beyond the first page.

I've not been to coachella alone, although I do usually end up spending most of my time there alone. my friends and I always always split up to go see different bands. but it's really nice to meet up with them again afterwards and share stories. and we usually get back together for one or two acts, and it's great to share those experiences. when I first started going to coachella I didn't care who I was with, all I cared about was the bands. nowadays I'd like to have friends around a little more throughout.

karecares
01-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Last year was my first time at Coachella, I was with my friend who came to check it out and have the experience and hang out with me, not really into the music the way some of are. For a quite a bit she did her thing I did mine and it worked really well bc we did it at our own pace. We met up w/ SFChrissy and her friend and had a great time. We (barely) new each other from Navarro's band the panic channel's poastboard and hung out for abit and I think its fair to say had a good time :)

Frankly,if I had gone alone I would have done the same thing. I'm pretty independant and so is my friend, we both do things alone all the time so for us it didn't feel foreign. I wanted to camp out, she loves to camp and the heat we thought it might be a good fit. She hated it! I loved it, she was kind enough not to show her misery to ruin my good time.

Sexecutioner
01-10-2008, 09:48 AM
sometimes i wish i could go by myself. my friends and my girlfriend would all probably take offense though.

matildawong
01-10-2008, 10:03 AM
I've gone back and forth on if I should go alone or not. The times I have gone, I've gone with my best friend and her husband who drive out and meet me there. They drive from NC.
We split up and I am alone most of the time. But we meet up to eat or see a band we both like or whatever. And I really like it like that.
They didn't make it out year before last and I could not make up my mind to go alone or not. (No one else wanted to go/couldn't afford/take time off/etc.)
I didn't want to camp and staying in a motel, driving in every day, and just going the whole thing alone didn't feel right for me. I ended up not going and it sucked, too.

Botrocker
01-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Go it alone because it's better than not going at all.

luveebunni08
01-10-2008, 12:30 PM
and camping is the only option, its half the fun really!

last year one of my friend's bought tix for him and his girlfriend on ebay (i'd been trying to get him to go to coach for a few years) and when the planning hit a bump in the road i suggested camping and he said, and i quote: "no, camping is not an option." (which is what my brother calls him now) that just reminded me of it. he ended up selling his tickets later. don't make his mistake. it's really too good of a time not to go.

monalivelove
01-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Going it alone is a great experience. I think that everyone should do this at least once in their lives. I went solo to a reggae on the river on 07, and I loved it. It was my first solo road trip, and it was exciting and scary, and I am completely glad that I did it. I was going to go by myself to coachella in 07, but decided to be magnanimous and took my little bro. I could not drink because he was underage, and was so freaked out that he was going to get trampled to death during rage, that I had to stay back! (regret of my life!) If people flake on me this year, I will go it alone once again!!

Yet again I am kind of a social loaner!

Botrocker
01-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Whoah Reggae on the river would be crazy by yourself. I don't know if I could do that one by myself. I commend you for doing so.

Daft Fro
01-10-2008, 02:44 PM
I went by myself in '06. People ended up flaking as usual, and I just broke up with my girlfriend of almost 2 years...like 5 days before Coachella. Yes I bought the tickets, and NO she did not come with me.

Best decision of my life.

You met the best people camping, as long as you're willing to let your self gravitate outward.

Ended up seeing some people from highschool, and making a couple of awesome international friends :)

karecares
01-10-2008, 06:15 PM
i've got a handfull of people (this is their first)coming with me this year and we're camping. But I'm seriosly considering 09 (that will be my 3rd coach)to be my first alone year, if nobody wants to repeat

PassiveTheory
01-10-2008, 06:23 PM
I went by myself and had a good time, it's perfectly safe.

goodgrl
01-10-2008, 07:55 PM
I go with my hubby. By the time we get in we usually end up going are separate ways. I love walking around by myself enjoying the music, art & people. I love, just love laying back looking up at the sky enjoying the peaceful almost serene feel of the desert even with 60,000 other peeps around & music blaring.
You owe it to yourself to go and experience this, even if by yourself.
No regrets.

ayates
01-10-2008, 09:54 PM
I went by myself in 06 and 07. I met plenty of people and it was cool. My East Coast friends are lame and I need new ones.

Donaldj
01-11-2008, 02:48 PM
I went by myself in 07 and camped. I had an absolute blast. I am going this year by myself again. You meet a ton of interesting people on the campgrounds and you don't have to worry about missing acts you want to see because all your friends want to see another act. I missed Daft Punk in 06 for She Wants Revenge (by power of suggestion) and I am still regretting it. :(

MissingPerson
01-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Sounds like quite an adventure. :D

Botrocker
01-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Going by yourself is cool. I always split up from my friends anyway.

ayates
01-11-2008, 03:49 PM
I went by myself in 07 and camped. I had an absolute blast. I am going this year by myself again. You meet a ton of interesting people on the campgrounds and you don't have to worry about missing acts you want to see because all your friends want to see another act. I missed Daft Punk in 06 for She Wants Revenge (by power of suggestion) and I am still regretting it. :(

Hahahahahahaha.

anonimouse
01-11-2008, 04:49 PM
i live in somewhat close, so yes i would probably go alone if i had no other options. if i lived in florida, no i wouldnt bother going alone

and stop calling it ella. nobody calls it ella

gaypalmsprings
01-11-2008, 04:53 PM
http://www.designinteract.com/features_d/emp/images/HORS_ella.jpg

sbessiso
01-11-2008, 05:09 PM
and stop calling it ella. nobody calls it ella

im soo bringing it in

Gyrus
01-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Go it alone.
Best time of my life.

Unless you're an anti social psychopathic neo-serial killer who was so ugly your parents had to tie a steak around your neck to get the dog to play with you; It's part of the experience, meeting randoms and hanging out with them for 20 minutes before you realise they're fucking idiots and moving on to the next group.
I had a great time last year and would do it again in a heartbeat. I don't know if hoteling it would be as fun though to do alone because the best part about camping is coming back from the festival and getting loose with everyone.

My 2 cents.

PrettyRagdoll
01-11-2008, 07:17 PM
I went by myself last year and had an incredibly good band. You'll meet a ton of cool people. Especially if you camp

orbit
01-11-2008, 08:06 PM
I've gone to Coachella by myself, and I'd do it again if I had to. Lots of fun and you meet really nice people.

shinymoonrobot
01-21-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm planning on going by myself. I didn't go last year because everyone I asked waffled, and then it eventually was too late to buy tickets :( That's not going to stop me this year! I just moved to NYC all by myself, and I've met new ppl here...I figure coachella should be a cinch :)

luveebunni08
01-21-2008, 09:42 AM
now you can go to the east coast coachella

shinymoonrobot
01-21-2008, 09:56 AM
now you can go to the east coast coachella

I plan on going to both actually. I'm combining the California one with family and friends visiting.

matildawong
01-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Has anyone gone alone but not camped?

BeHereNOW
01-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Go it alone because it's better than not going at all.

I have 3, 3 day passes free for this year... my friends are not going for financial reasons so I think I will have to go by myself and have the best time of the year all alone =$

kaien_
01-21-2008, 10:48 AM
that will be me this year. :) i think its totally do-able. tho camping now does sound appealing coz of the cost of solo-ing the hotel. :(
but the last 2 times even tho i went with friends, we basically just split up once we got to the venu coz we wanted to see different things and just met up at some point at the end of the day.

knit1pearl2
01-21-2008, 10:51 AM
I go solo all the time.

Campers are the worst but I guess Halo sucks anyway.

greghead
01-21-2008, 01:05 PM
In 07 I went by myself and had a blast. I didn't have a camping pass, so I slept in the back of my truck, which I had backed underneath an easy-up tent in the parking lot. For two days I sat in the back of my truck listening to music and blazing while people stopped by to use my shade. And as for the concert, I was able to roam wherever, whenever without having to worry about meeting up with a group. Take a deep breath and do it, fly solo.

BeHereNOW
01-21-2008, 01:12 PM
In 07 I went by myself and had a blast. I didn't have a camping pass, so I slept in the back of my truck, which I had backed underneath an easy-up tent in the parking lot. For two days I sat in the back of my truck listening to music and blazing while people stopped by to use my shade. And as for the concert, I was able to roam wherever, whenever without having to worry about meeting up with a group. Take a deep breath and do it, fly solo.

Nice1 !

roscoemule
01-21-2008, 01:34 PM
went by myself my first year (05) and had a blast. made some friends here on the board and they ended up calling my 1/2 way through the first day. Ended up hanging with them and their friends the rest of the time. I had the time of my life. Have been going with them ever since and adding some of my friends to the mix each year. we're up to about 40 people total. the people at coachella are awesome. and i wouldn't miss it for anything.

Jakewc151
01-21-2008, 09:43 PM
I went last year for my first time, and also by myself. It was a ton of fun, got to stay in a house with a bunch of people from all over the country.. Met tons of people at the fest from all over the world, and have never partied so hard! I totally recommend going by yourself (if none of your friends can make it).

breakjaw
01-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Last year,my friend Tom and I went Fri and sat and I went Sun by myself.Fri and Sat were more fun.Sun I was kind of aimless and walked around taking a lot of pictures with my Viewmaster camera,and only saw Soulwax,Air and Rage.Go with someone,or meet up with someone.

gmoneyak
01-22-2008, 12:14 AM

This year, just like last, I'm going solo and snagging a timeshare for the weekend. I had a fuckin' blast in 07, met a lot of cool people, and partied back in my place all 3 nights. No problems!

dave-it
01-27-2008, 11:09 PM
hey ive gonne solo last year 07 it was ok , i almost missed all of day one cuz i got lost lol but it was still pretty cool. Rage Against The Machine (front Role). I also met a bunch of people.

smoke
01-28-2008, 02:34 AM
i've been with friends and been solo...and honestly i prefer coachella solo. i cut through the crowd quicker, i get better spots for shows and i stick to a schedule for the bands i want to see.

Boourns
01-28-2008, 08:16 AM
I haven't attended with anyone since 2004 and it's okay. It's more fun to watch bands with someone, though. I never understood why going with someone should mean missing bands you want to see in favor of catching their favorites. That's why there's 100 distinct places to meet up with your pals later.

sbessiso
01-28-2008, 08:56 AM
I haven't attended with anyone since 2004 and it's okay. It's more fun to watch bands with someone, though. I never understood why going with someone should mean missing bands you want to see in favor of catching their favorites. That's why there's 100 distinct places to meet up with your pals later.

are you gunna be in the lone campers group?

MarkO
01-28-2008, 08:57 AM
<-- solo in '07 and it was great.

T-Rye
02-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Looks like I'll be flyin' solo for Coachella this year. I'll have to check out the other thread.

flowbee
02-01-2008, 12:12 PM
This year I plan on going with one person. If he backs out at the last minute like a bitch, I won't mind going by myself. There won't be any arguing over who to see, it will be pure music enjoyment with other like-minded fans.

Memorial_07
02-04-2008, 05:53 AM
For the first few hours of the festival, I am by myself.
Its kind of refreshing because I don't have to worry about my friends wanting to stay in the Sahara Tent all day.

luckyface
02-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Last year I didnt go by myself but on saturday I got separated from my group of friends like around 3:00 pm without my wallet,phone or WEED all I had was my 2 bottled waters & my zig zags & i'll tell ya I had a hell uv a day met some chick from Canada watching King of leon where she then began to cry(wierd) when they hit the stage i woulda left her for the scene she was makin but im a sucka for a cute face & she had the chronic too had to stay I think I knew it was time to leave when I started dancin to KOL(ughhh)with her damn I thought im gettin fucked up here time to go we hugged n even got a kiss n said our goodbyes on the fields of the polo grounds....oh Canada!...that was her name I gave her never got her real name...I then started to feel very hungry munchies time but damn no money I layed down in the beer gardens starvin n actually started to contemplate leaving when these two chicks came over n sat beside me they were from Europe n they looked at me n asked for a cig I said no I dont smoke that crap only weed crap n that was it I had the Zig Zags they had the weed match I began to start tellin them my story n they offered to buy me a burger yes food n then they even got me a beer I would've normally declined but damn I was hungry we danced in the Sahara tent took pics with them exchanged numbers so I could pay them the next day which I did.... damn what to do now watch Red Hot Chilli Peppers or go to sleep I chose to go to sleep under them spider legs while watchin them when I awoke everone was around me asleep like 20-30 people after that it was a blurr I ran into a friend who had a bottle of whiskey that he snuck in all in all a good day a good day indeed, point is just get there you'll have fun just dont be shy talk to people u never how your day will be until you experience it for yourself i the lil world of Coachella.

pe·ri·od /ˈpɪəriəd/ Pronunciation[peer-ee-uhd]
–noun

the point or character (.) used to mark the end of a declarative sentence, indicate an abbreviation, etc.; full stop.

a full pause, as is made at the end of a complete sentence; full stop.

ADGZ662
02-04-2008, 01:13 PM
pe·ri·od /ˈpɪəriəd/ Pronunciation[peer-ee-uhd]
–noun

the point or character (.) used to mark the end of a declarative sentence, indicate an abbreviation, etc.; full stop.

a full pause, as is made at the end of a complete sentence; full stop.

I really dont like to use proper grammar when I am typing and eating at the same time period Actually I dont ever use proper language/grammar anytime period Oh but c'mon now it's my lil stoner story who really gives a shit period Do you? period

petty
02-04-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm going by myself and a chick to boot but then again I've always been independent. (Plus not too many people I know are going.) I figure there's so many people going (I don't drink/do drugs period when I'm not with very close friends) that it will be difficult to be antisocial/ in a none safe environment. Regardless, I'm going have fun. Sooo...Nah it only weird if you make a big deal about it - I don't think anyone cares. Anyone doing solo camping?

fiopadp7791
02-04-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm going alone... flyin in from Minneapolis, MN. I went with a friend in '06, but my friends either can't or won't go this year for various reasons. I had so much fun in '06, regretted miussing it last year, that I'm not gonna let my party-poopin friends eff it up for me this year. As many cool people as I met onsite camping in '06, I figure it'll be pretty easy to buddy up. Also, in '06 me and my friend were seperated for a good amount of the time when we couldn't agree on acts playing at the same time anyway. So I already have a little feel for the "attending alone" part.

I do admit that having a friend to share fun times with is always better, but if you can't find someone to go with, don't let them prevent you from having fun.

JustSteve
02-04-2008, 06:50 PM
i usually end up alone for a bit during the weekend. i always get my sister in since it is right around her birthday, but she usually runs into friends and heads off with them. i actually have fun cruising around by myself, no one killing my buzz by wanting to check out another band.

Rowrrr
02-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I haven't ever gone alone, but in many ways would enjoy it. I'm a pretty fiercely independent spirit though... It all comes down to how socially interactive you are with complete strangers. I personally love having the freedom to roam around and meet new people at big gatherings, or having the option to just do my thing and go where I want.

That being said, I still have yet to have any friends confirm this year, so I may finally get to put the above into practice!

joshc
02-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Like everyone said, even if you're there with people you're bound to be on your own for big parts of the day anyway; so go for it. I don't know about this crazy "talking to strangers" bit though.

petty
02-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Careful that vagina might perform extensive needle point on said penis or boil your bunny. On that note, I'm going solo. :-P

If your a grown ass person, you can and should have just as much fun doing anything by yourself. Unless you have a vagina. If that's the case, then I am sorry, you will get raped.

digitalface
02-08-2008, 07:02 AM
I've totally had a better time roaming alone and doing what I like unhindered. There's something to be said for enjoying the special moment with that band with which you and your friend both deeply connect, but just about anyone around you will likely be deeply connecting too, if they're in it for that band. You can share it with new people and catch everything you want. I'm doin' it this year. Can't wait.

humanoid
02-11-2008, 05:52 PM
I always have gone with a large group of people, but find that I enjoy myself the most when I wander off by myself....this year, my friends have all lagged on getting tickets, so I have no idea who I'm going with....and I don't care!!

oh*my*buddha
02-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Both years I've been I ended up ditching my friends the whole day because I like to see as many bands as I can and they like to sit around until the headliners come on. Other than using friends to split hotel costs, they are useless.

boarderwoozel3
02-21-2008, 09:58 PM
I really dont like to use proper grammar when I am typing and eating at the same time period Actually I dont ever use proper language/grammar anytime period Oh but c'mon now it's my lil stoner story who really gives a shit period Do you? period

The problem is that it makes the story really hard to read.

quicksand
02-22-2008, 09:24 PM
I think it'd be fun to try going solo for a year. I've had both really good and really poor experiences going to concerts by myself, but a 3 day festival is a whole other story.