PDA

View Full Version : Your Decision To Attend This Year

jayce
01-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Will it be based on the lineup at all?

Will a shitty lineup convince you to save your money and go to another festival?

dontfeedthebird
01-08-2008, 06:49 AM
The lineup is important, the headliners, not so much.

BROKENDOLL
01-08-2008, 06:50 AM
The fact that we live close to the venue has probably been the most convincing draw, but the idea of getting turned on to new stuff each year is the clincher. Daft Punk, Prodigy, Chemical Bros, Muse, Paul Van Dyke, Faithless, Ratatat, and many more now join my classic rock collection of favorites.

faxman75
01-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Location is what does it for me. Combine that with the reputation of artists they have invited and that play each year and I am now a presale buyer. If for some crazy reason the lineup is terrible, which I don't see how, I would just sell my ticket to someone else. Easy.

shakermaker113
01-08-2008, 08:25 AM
it will be somewhat based on line-up. I don't think I would go if I really disliked the lineup. but I would be upset if it came to that. and I don't anticipate it. I am making plans before the lineup has been announced. although I haven't requested the days off from work yet.

ArcadeParade
01-08-2008, 08:41 AM
house booked
flight purchased
time off work

I have faith...last year felt like a paradise and I can't wait to go back.

elChurro
01-08-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm local and have been every year excluding a few sunday nights in some cases. Although I love attending Coachella despite how huge it's grown, I'm considering saving my time and money to attend the winter music conference in Miami this year.

...then again, maybe I'll just do both.

amyzzz
01-08-2008, 10:48 AM
I went 4 years in a row before I decided this year that I'm buying tickets during the presale (if possible) because I have faith the lineup will be great.

if it's not great, I'll sell my tix and spend all my money on the Radiohead tour.

microserfs21
01-08-2008, 10:55 AM
My flight is already booked. I have faith they will announce a good lineup. Plus, even if it was a horrible lineup, which it won't be, you are still in the sun listening to music surrounded by awesome people.

algunz
01-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Done deal.

It's tradition now.

Melanie.Dawn
01-08-2008, 11:10 AM
I live too far away for it to be based on the line up!
haha.
Already have the time off work, the house booked and paid for, Getting flight tickets this weekend... Here's hoping it's a good line up!
I'm especially drawn to the environment of it all though. The palm trees (I love them... probably from never seeing them since I live in Canada), all the people and crazy sculptures. Plus all the other line ups have been awesome, why would this be any different?
It's getting so close now! ... er... closer than before.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-08-2008, 11:24 AM
I've always wanted to go to coachella. I would've loved to see the line up first, but I have to make plans way in advance cause I'm in El Salvador. Have everything reserved already. Still don't know if i'm camping because after reading many camping experiences in the board, i don't know if my wife is gonna have a good time camping. She has way less energy than I do.

arie117
01-08-2008, 12:01 PM
its a lil hard to have a shitty lineup with so me bands... i would buy pre sale tickets for sure!!

LarbFlonsen
01-08-2008, 12:12 PM
If you look at all of the lineups from years past, they haven't disappointed. Needless to say, I'm all booked and ready to buy tickets.

amyzzz
01-08-2008, 12:27 PM
If you look at all of the lineups from years past, they haven't disappointed. Needless to say, I'm all booked and ready to buy tickets.
That's it right there. I've gone to 5 Coachellas, and I really would've gone to the other 3 if I'd had the money (and no babies) because all the lineups have been amazing.

luveebunni08
01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
i have a lot of faith in the lineup the festival will have plus my boyfriend's family lives out there so it's a good opportunity to visit. besides this'll be my 5th coachella.

chowd3r
01-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Combination of this semester's final exam schedule, and my financial status, haha.

luveebunni08
01-08-2008, 12:56 PM
tru dat. but it's a nice break before finals so you at least relax a bit before crunch time.

drugks Gillespie
01-08-2008, 01:36 PM
coachella will always be unmissable.

jonnypark
01-08-2008, 02:25 PM
i've already bought plane tickets and chosen my classes around coachella i have faith

MarkO
01-08-2008, 03:04 PM
I have faith in GV to give us another excellent lineup regardless of whether Zep or Radiohead or whoever is playing / not playing / considering playing ...

jimmycrackcorn
01-08-2008, 03:12 PM
<local...
going no matter what the lineup....
the sun rises every day and after a while i just take that for granted....
the lineup for coachella being a good one is much the same way....
:thu

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-08-2008, 03:15 PM
The line up has yet to fail me...I can always find artist and bands to check out at coachella because sometimes it is their only US show period...plus we always have surprises....

scoop49er
01-08-2008, 03:18 PM
already booked the room and buying the presale regardless of lineup. i have faith in gv not to fuck it up... its all good.

Amneeziac
01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm going regardless, but a good lineup would be nice.

gratytrainridesagain
01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Have yet to see a lineup i didnt like. Plus already got the plane tix.

Daft Fro
01-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Indio takes about 2h 30min to get to...

Past 2 Coachellas have been epic.

Looking back to previous posters, I would have gone to every single one given the chance.

I think 08 will have some decent headliners, but it's strength will be based in the 2nd tier.

SFChrissy
01-08-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm not going but I am

sassypants
01-08-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm going because I had a great time last year and saw a lot of great new-to-me bands. I don't care what the lineup because it will be filled with bands I've never heard of. :) I AM hoping for Portishead though.

shakermaker113
01-08-2008, 06:04 PM
I don't ever want to ever go regardless of lineup. a lot of the festivals in the uk have gotten to a point where they have a fan base of people that go every year regardless of who is playing, and you know this for sure because they sell out before the full lineup is even announced. when I went to T in the Park there were tons of people who didn't really care who was playing any more, they just went because it was tradition, they went to get drunk and have a laugh in a different environment. and it sucked. I never want to get that way with coachella. they need to produce consistently good lineups year after year, and while I believe they can do that I could be wrong. it's not an easy task. as soon as we start saying we have faith and will make all our plans and buy all our tickets regardless, they have some room to weaken the lineup a little. they need to fight for our interest, we can't give it up so easily.

end thought.

afrank
01-08-2008, 06:35 PM
my decision came down to this supposedly being the best festival in the country. this will be my first year at coachella, but i've been to other festivals like lollapalooza and voodoo fest, even though those are both in major cities. looking at previous lineups, it seems like coachella has the best established and new artists almost every year, so i've already booked my hotel. another thing about this festival is that while the bands always seem to be better, it seems like a lot less people attend coachella so thats a plus not having to deal with such big crowds.

ficklecycle
01-08-2008, 07:03 PM
After I went to Coachella in 03 to see Interpol, I fell in love. The atmosphere, the food, the people, the grass, everything just made me wanna stay. It was like the most beautiful thing at night too. After that I couldn't make it in 2004 and 2005 due to school and the fact that I had no one to take me. 2006 came and I finally got to go, what a good time too.

"Dude that song Rolling & Scratching is sick. They're playing at Coachella were watching them right?"

That's what I told my friend and wow. We went, and that was that. After 2006 I told myself starting 2007 I would go every day of every year till it was time for me to take that old dirt nap.

I'll be there this year even if they change the name to KROQCHELLA

suprefan
01-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Will it be based on the lineup at all?

Will a shitty lineup convince you to save your money and go to another festival?

Nope. This is on its way to turning into Glastonbury, and it will always have people come back no matter what. Its a rite of passage into the summer pretty much. just like Glasto kicks off the summer festival season in the u.k.

BROKENDOLL
01-08-2008, 07:11 PM
FICKLECYCLE!

Cpt. Funkaho
01-08-2008, 07:12 PM
2007 was a semi-religious experience for me. I'd be surprised if I ever miss a year again.

miscorrections
01-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Last year was my first year and I think it's a contender for "Best Thing That Has Ever Happened to Me". I cannot think of a better birthday present to give myself, so I'm going to try my damndest to go every year from now on.

JustSteve
01-08-2008, 07:16 PM
I never want to get that way with coachella. they need to produce consistently good lineups year after year, and while I believe they can do that I could be wrong. it's not an easy task. as soon as we start saying we have faith and will make all our plans and buy all our tickets regardless, they have some room to weaken the lineup a little. they need to fight for our interest, we can't give it up so easily.

end thought.

it will never come down to goldenvoice's fault if it is a shitty lineup. they can only book bands that are out there, so as long as the artists continue to evolve and new artists step up to the plate and create great music it should never be a problem. if there ever is a down year i will just blame it on the talent pool, never on goldenvoice. i trust paul, my friend there who shall remain nameless, and the rest of the people that run gv that much.

boarderwoozel3
01-08-2008, 07:38 PM

My thoughts exactly.

boarderwoozel3
01-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Last year was my first year and I think it's a contender for "Best Thing That Has Ever Happened to Me". I cannot think of a better birthday present to give myself, so I'm going to try my damndest to go every year from now on.

I'm in the same boat. Went last year and was totally hooked.

scoop49er
01-08-2008, 08:18 PM
I don't ever want to ever go regardless of lineup. a lot of the festivals in the uk have gotten to a point where they have a fan base of people that go every year regardless of who is playing, and you know this for sure because they sell out before the full lineup is even announced. when I went to T in the Park there were tons of people who didn't really care who was playing any more, they just went because it was tradition, they went to get drunk and have a laugh in a different environment. and it sucked. I never want to get that way with coachella. they need to produce consistently good lineups year after year, and while I believe they can do that I could be wrong. it's not an easy task. as soon as we start saying we have faith and will make all our plans and buy all our tickets regardless, they have some room to weaken the lineup a little. they need to fight for our interest, we can't give it up so easily.

end thought.

but once they go that route, they r doomed anyways. it has nothing to do with having faith. that would be just stupid business on their part. look at lollapalooza during the 90's they started to go away from what made them popular and it went downhill