PDA

View Full Version : I want to ride my bicycle !!!

Rusty Cogs
01-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Forgive me if this is in the wrong location. Plan is to fly in to LA from Ireland with my bi-cycle and spin over to Coachella. Seemingly it's about 130 miles which means it's either a one or two day spin depending on the road. Does anyone know what this is like (obviously they're may be roads I can't cycle on). Once there, I plan to camp, is keeping the bike with me feasible or asking for trouble (ie. should I just find a place to lock it up and leave it for the duration). Finally, I've no real desire to cylce it back to LA. Are there buses that will take a bike (and me) that anyone knows of ?

Go raith maith agat

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-03-2008, 12:33 PM
oh man..I thought this was a thread about Queen.....

JustSteve
01-03-2008, 12:33 PM
not even remotely possible.

gaypalmsprings
01-03-2008, 12:43 PM
kpy4xNAnWzM

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-03-2008, 12:47 PM
most underrated Queen song ever!

paganman7
01-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Seriously? People collapse just carrying their camping gear from the entrance to their campsite (about 100-700 meters).

1. The heat is out of control.
2. The traffic in LA is not compatible with cycling.
3. The main interstate (I-10) is not compatible with cycling.
4. I would not dream of keeping a road bike in the campgrounds.
5. What are you going to do with your camping gear (tent, sleeping bag, fucking water) while you're on your Forest Gump-esque trek?
6. Where are you planning on catching this magical bus to take you and your bike back to LA?

Not a well thought out plan homie.

algunz
01-03-2008, 01:10 PM
It's doable, but it's totally nuts.

All of pagan's points above are legit. If you're still willing to risk it, I'll offer you the side yard of our pad to keep your bike. Our place is in walking distance of the venue.

PM me if you are interested.

BROKENDOLL
01-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Hell, if you can make it from LA to Coachella on your bike, I'll offer a parking place for it as well as throwing in the couch at our place...Then you wouldn't have to worry about camping gear! How's that for Luck o' thee Irish?

ShyGuy75
01-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Hell, if you can make it from LA to Coachella on your bike, I'll offer a parking place for it as well as throwing in the couch at our place

Avoid at all costs...

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj20/coachella75/Trap.jpg

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Avoid at all costs...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Rusty Cogs
01-03-2008, 02:52 PM
OK, so I'm getting a vague kind of 'heat' message here. (thanks for all the replies by the way) Having a look at Coachella on the map it definitely seems to be in one of the warmer spots of the glorious state of California. Well we didn't get much of a summer here last year so what kind of day time temperatures are we looking at come late April ? Carrying a tent, sleeping bag plus other essentials is a pain but not undoable. My starting off point is the rough n' ready area of Newport Beach. I guess from there I could make my way over to the 74 and follow it's meandering path east. That might mean an exciting stop over in Hemet or some such place. Does anyone know a website where I could work out the distance taking the 74 ? (google maps maybe). I'm guessing there is a pile of buses that bring people back to LA. I just need to find one that will take the bike.

Courtney
01-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Rusty Cogs, that would be really awesome but really hard. I don't know how fit and how much biking experience you have. Can you bike long distances in extremely hot temperatures with lots of traffic around you?

You might try contacting the LA County Bicycle Coalition (http://labike.org/) -- they'd probably be excited to learn about your idea and they might have some useful suggestions.

You might also consider flying directly to the Ontario airport so that you could skip LA traffic, or even directly into Palm Springs.

For the bus ride back to the aiport, Greyhound Bus Lines will take bikes but they have to be inside a cardboard box which may or likely may not be available at your point of departure.

miscorrections
01-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Courtney, you're the most helpful person on the board.

Courtney
01-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Aww thanks.

prettydirtything
01-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Plan is to fly in to LA from Ireland with my bi-cycle and spin over to Coachella. Seemingly it's about 130 miles which means it's either a one or two day spin depending on the road.

^^ balls of steel!
http://www.seenobjects.org/images/mediumlarge/2004-07-01-malls-balls.jpg

Courtney
01-03-2008, 03:01 PM
what kind of day time temperatures are we looking at come late April ?

I think someone once said that when it gets closer to the festival you can look at 10-day advanced forecasts (http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USCA0512?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_undeclared) from somewhere like weather.com. And from this chart (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/USCA0512?climoMonth=4) you can see that the record highs are way hot (107!) but the averages are are around 90 for the high and 60 for the low.

thelastgreatman
01-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Dude, you don't want to do this. You're talking about biking throught the desert. There ain't shit there for a lot of the journey, lots of gravel at the end of the roadway, it's just a bad idea. Oh, and yeah, it's an absurdly hot trip to make in a fucking car with the A/C on. No bike.

JustSteve
01-03-2008, 03:25 PM
My starting off point is the rough n' ready area of Newport Beach.

shit, i live in newport and could most likely give you a ride if things don't work out. i will be leaving thursday afternoon and checking into my hotel out there that day and returning home monday morning.

i feel a kinship with ireland. was traveling around europe for 3 months in '02 and ended up staying in ireland for 3 weeks of it. it would be my pleasure to return the favor for the hospitality that was shown to me while there.

Rusty Cogs
01-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, we'll call it realistic rather than negative thus far. Flying in to a closer airport would be a pain in the hoop coming from Ireland and I've a brother in Newport Beach so getting to that point (from LAX) will be fine. Looking at google maps it does seem to be a hilly trek along the 74. Although I'm fit enough I'm no masochist so I'll keep looking in to it. The aformentioned brother got married in Huntington Beach a few years back and I cycled down from San Fran for it so it's not pure hairbrained folly. There is that inland heat though. Anyhoo, I'll try and figure out the milage, elevation and temps and give it some more though. Becareful with these offers of transportation and lodgings, these white Irish legs never looked good in lycra.

thelastgreatman
01-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Wow, Jesus Christ, you biked down from San Francisco? Alright, that's fucking crazy. In that case I guess you could physically, but I still wouldn't recommend it just because of the lack of civilization for most of the trip. If you started to get dehydrated or heat stroke or something, it could be quite a while before you'd reach any help. Desert is not good biking environment no matter who you are I think.

ShyGuy75
01-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Not to mention, you would be completely wiped out for Coachella. By day three, sometimes I feel like I just biked from Alaska.

But if I see someone biking on my way up, I will be sure to honk and give you encouragement.

miscorrections
01-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Courtney, I lol'd.

Bud Luster
01-03-2008, 04:44 PM
yeah Randy, people (fucking crazy people) bike from sf to la all the time. The proposed trek is definitely possible for one of these people. It would probably be a more enjoyable fest sans the biking though.

gaypalmsprings
01-03-2008, 04:47 PM
http://bittercyclist.com/v3/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/ac5.thumbnail.jpg

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-03-2008, 04:49 PM

:rotfl

prettydirtything
01-03-2008, 05:23 PM

I dont understand how GPS always finds the most topical pictures. He seems to have mastered google image search more than any mere mortal, or has the worlds largest collection of absurd jpegs....

gaypalmsprings
01-03-2008, 05:43 PM
I dont understand how GPS always finds the most topical pictures. He seems to have mastered google image search more than any mere mortal, or has the worlds largest collection of absurd jpegs....

picsearch.com (http://picsearch.com)

Innovating image search
Search the web for images. An image search service with more than 2,000,000,000 pictures.

blakely
01-03-2008, 06:14 PM
just to let you know, unless you plan on bypassing it, the 74 runs through the ortega mountains. the ortegas are notorius for motorcycle death and are not compatible at all with bicycles. there is no shoulder room and theyre currently doing major construction on it. of course you can go down around the mountains through oceanside. oh, and im pretty sure there is no surface road between cabazon and palm springs, which is the way you would need to go to avoid mount san jacinto. so good luck my friend.

Mr. Dylanja
01-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Best thread ever! 2 fuckin funny!

Rusty, people who live in the desert are tired by the 3rd day. Get to the festival using as little energy as possible, then dance your brains out!!!

JustSteve
01-03-2008, 06:49 PM
my cousins friend tried to walk home along the shoulder of the 5 from irvine to redondo beach a few years ago around midnight after getting in an argument with him. the guy actually made it a few miles before the chp picked him up and brought him back to the spectrum...he was drunk.

shakermaker113
01-03-2008, 09:27 PM
I could see doing this if the landscape were great, but honestly there's nothing to see between LA and coachella. there's a couple of large dinosaurs and some windmills. and desert. lots of desert. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but honestly you're best off doing that journey in a car.

mountmccabe
01-03-2008, 09:55 PM
: )

Wheres the beef?
01-03-2008, 10:01 PM
I think you all underestimate the Irish. If he rides his bike at night he can avoid overheating. And if you look at the map, he can avoid the freeway by riding south 60 some odd miles and then he come into palm springs over the mountain. And, once he gets over the peak it should be all gravy.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=ontario+airport&daddr=indio,+ca&mra=cc&dirflg=h&sll=33.895275,-116.909915&sspn=1.509215,2.570801&ie=UTF8&ll=33.767732,-116.891785&spn=1.511472,2.570801&z=9&om=1

YOU CAN DO IT!

BROKENDOLL
01-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Hell, if you can make it from LA to Coachella on your bike, I'll offer a parking place for it as well as throwing in the couch at our place...Then you wouldn't have to worry about camping gear! How's that for Luck o' thee Irish?

Avoid at all costs...

This was a sincere invite and I even got the okay from Suffacated. Every year we've gone to the fest we've met some of the coolest people from acrossed the globe. Since we're fortunate enough to live within walking distance, why not offer to open our door to one of those people who may need a break? (Especially after a bike ride like that!)

brokendesign
01-03-2008, 11:32 PM
ITS POSSIBLE BUT ONLTY IF NOTHING GOES WRONG.
I BIKE TO WORK. ITS A 10 MILE RIDE TO WORK AND ANOTHER 10 BACK HOME.
AND ALMOST EVERY OTHER WEEK I GET A FLAT EVEN WITH THORN PROOF INNER TUBES.
ITS A BAD IDEA UNLESS YOUR GOING TO GIVE YOURSELF SOME DAYS IN BETWEEN JUST IN CASE ANYTHING GOES WRONG.
YOUR BOUND TO GET A FLAT HERE AND THERE. IF NOT THAT A HEAT STROKE.

Daft Fro
01-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Once you're in the desert, just follow the talking coyote, and he'll take you to coachella.

Rusty Cogs
01-04-2008, 05:34 AM
Well there's been a few opinions voiced so now might be a good time to take stock of my plan. Pro's & con's. Might be easier to start with the con's

It' will be too hot (not sure how hot it actually could get but I'll look in to that)
The 74 is not a good cycling road (no hard shoulder). This is a biggie, there isn't much in the way of hard shoulders over here either on many roads but I've no desire in getting taken out of it by a wayward car, truck. I wonder how busy this road actually is (and thus how uncycle friendly it is) ?
The road is currently under construction. Again this could be an issue depending on what is meant by 'construction'. Is the road closed for sections, is there no surface down ?
It's a boring trip, nothing to look at. Again important. If it's just one long hot featurless slog then it's hardly what cyclists dream of. There does seem to be lakes and the odd town on the way. It's pretty easy to get excited about any feature when your on these kind of trips so I'm not expecting Vegas.

On the Pro side there does seem to be a few who thinks it's achievable and some generous souls who are offering accomodation, lifts or just support. I get out to California every few years or so and I always try and see/experience as much of it as I can. I have the time to cycle so it's either that or I've an extra few mid week days in Newport Beach to check out the Starbucks outlets. I'll point out at this stage that I don't drive (odd in Ireland but not a problem for me) so cycling is a mode of transport I enjoy rather than suffer.

So I suppose what I really need to find out is if the cycle is actually dangerous due to the condition of the road, traffic or distances between water/food stops. Also, the elevation of these Orgeta mountains. So if anyone is familiar with the 74 please let me know. With a little luck and perserverance I may be the guy at the festival with the brutal tan lines.

Rusty Cogs
01-04-2008, 05:34 AM
pissing down here at the moment, c'mon the sun.

Cpt. Funkaho
01-04-2008, 05:48 AM
I think it's possible, but you're going to have to put a lot of thought into picking your route, and prepare for heat like you've never cycled in before. It would be a really good idea to coordinate with people coming from L.A. to ferry gear/check on your progress/make sure you still have enough water after day 1, et cetera.

Also, if you do end up doing it, two things:
1) Keep us updated about the state of your planning/things you need, in this thread. If you have problems, people may be able to help solve them.
2) You should get a shirt screened with "Coachella or Bust" on the back. I guarantee that people will pass you on their way to the festival and be friendly.

Rusty Cogs
01-04-2008, 12:21 PM
OK, so here's the route

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=,%20newport%20beach%20california%20&daddr=,%20coachella%20california

And it looks like there'll be one fun night of rockin' in Temecula !!!

Rusty Cogs
01-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Eh, you have to click on the 'avoid highways' box too.

SFChrissy
01-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Dude...you'll pass out from the smog and exhaust exficiation itself!!!

Courtney
01-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Have you looked into alternate more bike-friendly roads? For example, I know that for the first part of your route instead of the 55 you could use the Santa Ana River Bike Path (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Ana_River_bicycle_path). (Maps here (http://www.labikepaths.com/LowerSA.html) and here (http://www.labikepaths.com/UpperSA.html).)

If you think you can do this safely, I am really interested to hear about your progress. I hope you take lots of documenting photos too so you can tell us all about it once you finish.

Courtney
01-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Ohh I just noticed you said to check the avoid highways thing on googlemap. That makes more sense.

amyzzz
01-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Wow, cool thread. I hope you're able to do it, but please don't kill yourself in the heat. I heard on NPR that if you're not acclimated to the heat your cells will kill themselves resulting in heat stroke. or something. Good luck.

neverclever
01-04-2008, 01:00 PM
The city is the easy part. The hard part is finding roads in the boonies that are friendly and highways that are legal to ride on. You really need to talk to people who have actually done the ride to Palm Springs and that would involve talking to spandex'd out road bike riders or pannier flanked tourers in cycling forums. I'd suggest going on some bike forums and asking around if they've done it. If you're anti-social Bikely.com has a lot of bike friendly routes that people have presumably already rode so that may help. I found one right away from Long Beach to Palm Springs... just searching for "Palm Springs"... so poke around there...

www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Long-Beach-to-Palm-Springs

I'd join you on the ride but I can't take enough time off to do it. If you want to ride around LA before and after the festival let me know and I can point you to the rides that are happening around then...

Botrocker
01-04-2008, 01:20 PM
You can do it!!!

Wheres the beef?
01-05-2008, 05:27 PM
OK, so here's the route

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=,%20newport%20beach%20california%20&daddr=,%20coachella%20california

And it looks like there'll be one fun night of rockin' in Temecula !!!

Your map is wrong I think. You needed to check the box (avoid highways) as you will not be allowed on the highway with your bike.

This would be a better route http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=,+newport+beach+california&daddr=,+coachella+california&mra=cc&dirflg=h&sll=33.591743,-116.982422&sspn=1.514569,2.570801&ie=UTF8&z=9&om=1.

Wheres the beef?
01-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Oh, and the mountains are fucking treacherous. My first post was complete sarcasm even though it never came off that way. We're talking 2,000ft elevation with shear cliffs. Its not cycle friendly AT ALL. But, I guess if it has been done before...............

Rusty Cogs
01-07-2008, 05:35 AM
I mentioned in an earlier post that you have to click on the 'avoid highways' tab to get a cycleable route (although I've found a route elsewhere that runs alongside the '10'). Are we talking elevations of 2,000 ft for the road ?. Sheer cliffs with no hard shoulder ? Is the road really that dangerous ? I've no idea as I've never been on it, it just sounds like a crazy road to drive, let alone cycle. If anyone has actually driven this road, by all means let me know what it's like.

Thanks

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=2

Heresy
01-08-2008, 03:48 PM

Hahahahaha.

Rusty Cogs
01-09-2008, 12:37 PM
State Route 74, a part of the Pines to Palms Scenic Byway, is a mostly scenic highway that runs from Palm Desert in Riverside County westward to San Juan Capistrano in Orange County.

As the highway leaves Palm Desert near the Bighorn Country Club, the site of golf's "Battle at Bighorn," it begins a winding, 20 mile (32 km) journey to Garner Valley near the top of the Santa Rosa Mountains. This picturesque stretch is also referred to as the "Palms to Pines Highway." Even for those who have never been to California, the route is a familiar one. It is one of the most popular locations in the country for automotive periodical photo shoots and road tests.

The road straightens out considerably where it meets with State Route 371 near Anza, where Red Skelton had his home and art studio. Through Garner Valley, the scenery is among the finest in California. Sharp-eyed movie fans will recognize it as the road on which Elvis Presley drove his Model T on his way to the nearby village of Idyllwild in the movie, Kid Galahad.

Past Lake Hemet, Route 74 climbs back into the mountains for another 30 miles (48 km) of spectacular scenery on its way to Hemet where it becomes a surface street called Florida Avenue. It continues westward through the communities of Perris and Lake Elsinore. It merges with Interstate 215 for three miles east of Perris before splitting in Perris, where it resumes its westward journey.

Soon, the highway begins a final scenic climb on its run to the coast, with breathtaking views of Lake Elsinore and the Temecula Valley as it goes over the Santa Ana Mountains. (This part of the highway is notably lacking in guardrails.) It also takes on a new name - the Ortega Highway - which it retains all the way to its terminus in San Juan Capistrano, just west of Interstate 5 and a short distance from the famous mission from which the city takes its name. Ortega Highway is extremely busy during peak commute hours as commuters from Southwestern Riverside County commute to their jobs in Orange County, and on weekends as recreational drivers and motorcylists enjoy the scenery. This section is often closed during rain storms and was closed for several weeks in January and February 2005. The portion just south of Palm Desert was used in 1963 for the filming of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Sounds good to me. Bring it on.

ShyGuy75
01-09-2008, 12:44 PM
See ya in 2009!

Courtney
01-09-2008, 12:48 PM
If I was a better biker, I'd totally want to join you and do this. It sounds awesome.

Rusty Cogs
01-09-2008, 01:02 PM
It's really not that tough a trip, two days @75 miles a day. That's five hours cycling at 15mph which is relatively slow (on a flat road you'd cruise at about 23mph). 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 4pm, for two days. That's it. I know there are some hills but coming down the far side is always a blast. I remember hitting 50mph coming down Devil's Slide south of San Fran.

luckyface
01-09-2008, 01:39 PM
If I see Rusty at Coachella, I will buy him a beer. Or a Gatorade. His choice.

Rusty Cogs
01-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Beer please, but I have to buy you one back then. Couldn't call myself an Irishman otherwise (rounds system and all).

aynalehcar
01-14-2008, 07:03 PM
You should check out lafixed.com (http://www.lafixed.com)

It's a giant bike forum for LA riders. I guarantee they will help you out.

MarkO
01-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Cogs, take it from this fellow Irishman that you would be out of your box to cycle in that weather, let alone trying to cycle in LA. I drink two bottles of water just *walking* from the carpark to the festival entrance.

Rusty Cogs
01-15-2008, 12:02 PM
How come there's a giant cycling forum for LA cyclists (thanks avnalehcar) if cycling in LA is so difficult ? Have you done much cycling in LA ?

jenniferrrae
01-15-2008, 12:21 PM
between the LA smog and heat passing through lake elsinore and hemet, i would be worried about getting through the next three days of music and direct sunlight! i'ma be taking that 371 route because i live near anza, so if you change your mind halfway i'll give you a lift.

Botrocker
01-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Dude I'll do it with you!!!

luckyface
01-15-2008, 12:54 PM
How come there's a giant cycling forum for LA cyclists (thanks avnalehcar) if cycling in LA is so difficult ? Have you done much cycling in LA ?

I think a lot of it has to do with the urban setting, terrible drivers and traffic, and lack of bike lanes. People do it, but it definitely can be pretty scary out there.

marooko
01-15-2008, 01:05 PM
dude, you'll be the fucking MAN if ride from LA to Coachella. Don't let these fools hate.

neverclever
01-15-2008, 01:23 PM
I'll say it again, riding in LA isn't as bad as it's chalked up to be. You're legal on all roads... just not on freeways and some major highways. There is a lot of stigma in LA about riding on bikes but it's slowly changing as people get educated. I ride often and the only problems I encounter are some unven roads and a few unintelligent irate drivers. Just learn the laws of California and you'll be fine. Still you'll be surprised how many polize have no idea what the biking laws are and I've had friends that have been pulled over for no reason at all.

http://www.bicyclela.org/Law.htm

And also try asking people on midnightridazz.com ... they're more likely to go to coachella and they're a lot more fun i think.

MarkO
01-15-2008, 05:03 PM

Would you cycle in and around the Red Cow roundabout on a bank holiday Friday ?? LA is like that ALL THE TIME.

i_like_cake530
01-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Forgive me if this is in the wrong location. Plan is to fly in to LA from Ireland with my bi-cycle and spin over to Coachella. Seemingly it's about 130 miles which means it's either a one or two day spin depending on the road. Does anyone know what this is like (obviously they're may be roads I can't cycle on). Once there, I plan to camp, is keeping the bike with me feasible or asking for trouble (ie. should I just find a place to lock it up and leave it for the duration). Finally, I've no real desire to cylce it back to LA. Are there buses that will take a bike (and me) that anyone knows of ?

Go raith maith agat

Disappointing...i thought this thread was gonna be about Queen.

offyerhead
01-15-2008, 05:48 PM
we drove out of hwy 74 when we left last year. it's beautiful but I can't imagine riding those hills in that heat.

here's a shot from the car to give you some idea.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g131/offyerhead/F0000023.jpg

Rusty Cogs
01-16-2008, 04:29 AM
Would you cycle in and around the Red Cow roundabout on a bank holiday Friday ?? LA is like that ALL THE TIME.

I thought there were no roundabouts in the US ? Remember, I'll be avoiding all the artery routes your average driver will be commonly on. I've cycled down from Malibu to Seal Beach before and it's not so bad, not as much fun as a free bar at the spaghetti wrestling meets bouncy castle convention but doable. I'll be out of LA in a couple of hours and then it's just the 74 across the mountains & plains.

jenniferrrae
01-16-2008, 06:25 AM
not as much fun as a free bar at the spaghetti wrestling meets bouncy castle convention but doable.
:thu

i've been thinking more about this adventure for the past few days, and it is slowly occuring to me that this is probably a lot more dangerous than previously anticipated. there are really gnarly mountains for a solid ten miles. and by the looks of the above picture/i don't recall there being any bike lanes on these highways. and there are a lot of out of townerz that weekend attending coachella who rent a car and take the senic route.. .

offyerhead
01-16-2008, 09:40 AM
:thu

i've been thinking more about this adventure for the past few days, and it is slowly occuring to me that this is probably a lot more dangerous than previously anticipated. there are really gnarly mountains for a solid ten miles. and by the looks of the above picture/i don't recall there being any bike lanes on these highways. and there are a lot of out of townerz that weekend attending coachella who rent a car and take the senic route.. .

That's pretty accurate. Coming out the back of Palm Springs on 74 you are pretty quickly hitting some wicked uphill switchbacks that are very narrow. They go on for a long time. This is the probably the toughest part of the road. Narrow, desert heat, twisty and out of towners like us in a Mustang convertible wanting to have a cool ride back. It's not cycling territory.

Once you plateau though, it's totally different. It's like this:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g131/offyerhead/F0000029.jpg
Then it's a long, long downhill into what we thought would be a small town but is actually a sprawling suburb. Out the other end and it goes back to scenic, mountainous and narrow (I think that's a National Forest at that point). Very scenic but pretty dangerous given that cars are often not going to see you until the last minute and you will often have very little shoulder to work with.

Rusty Cogs
01-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Interesting interesting. I can tell you that apart from a few token efforts in Dublin there are practically no cycle lanes in Ireland to be had. That being said, Irish drivers have to be aware that there may be cyclits on the road to watch out for. Are American drivers that closed off to the idea of a cyclist on the road ahead ? Will they be hugging the rails on those switch backs at a speed which will mean an automotive enema for yours truly ? As mentioned, I've cycled down the Cali coast before where there was often no cycle lane and had no real problems. However, cyclists are more common on that 'classic' route.

Have to say though, the pics look great, would happily give it a go if I thought I wouldn't get creamed.

neverclever
01-16-2008, 10:27 AM
RUSTY!!!

stop listening to non-bike riders. seriously. they seem to think you'll be riding in rush hour ALL the time or something! haha, this site has a good route from LAX to riverside...
http://www.briandesousa.com/bicycling/info/thru_la.htm#LAtoPS

then Riverside to Indio...
http://www.briandesousa.com/bicycling/info/images/thru_la/rivtoindio.pdf

googlemaps isn't going to help you for shit.

Kali27
01-16-2008, 12:35 PM
oh man..I thought this was a thread about Queen.....

"Bicycle... Bicycle..." haha... so did I.

But dont be discouraged by all the naysayers. Nothing is impossible. People ride across country all the time. It may take alot more research but where there's a will there's a bike path... ?

rockthebox
01-16-2008, 12:39 PM

Go raith maith agat

haha good luck. I highly doubt this is possible, there is no direct road from lax to indio. mountains, valleys, cities. Just take a bus.

algunz
01-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Do it. Do it.

velotraveler
01-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey Rusty,
I would also tell you check out lafixed.com

The people on there are more likely to be going to Coachella. Midnight Riddaz as well. Los Angeles is spread out so It produces riders who are used to distance. I really don't think this will be that hard of a trip.

velotraveler
01-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Let me know too if you need anything that I could help you with. Fellow riders help each other.

Rusty Cogs
01-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Well guys, although it's been discussed to death at this stage, I'm afraid that line up just isn't going to pull me half way around the world (+ 150 miles on a bike).

I was really holding out for MBV (or to a lesser extent Radiohead) but with neither on the bill I think I'd get more for my $2,000 on musical events closer to home. I've since booked a ticket to

http://www.atpfestival.com/events/explosions/line_up.php

to give me something to look forward too.

Thanks for all the comments/advice etc. I hope all those who go enjoy themselves (sure you will) and here's hoping '09's devine.

Rusty out.

whynotsmile99
01-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Well guys, although it's been discussed to death at this stage, I'm afraid that line up just isn't going to pull me half way around the world (+ 150 miles on a bike).

I was really holding out for MBV (or to a lesser extent Radiohead) but with neither on the bill I think I'd get more for my $2,000 on musical events closer to home. I've since booked a ticket to

http://www.atpfestival.com/events/explosions/line_up.php

to give me something to look forward too.

Thanks for all the comments/advice etc. I hope all those who go enjoy themselves (sure you will) and here's hoping '09's devine.

Rusty out.

damn, maybe next year Rusty

luckyface
01-30-2008, 02:55 PM
You made the right decision, Rusty. Next year should be a good one, so shoot for 2009.

MarkO
01-30-2008, 02:58 PM
This year has a good line up; the beaten to death headliner/Madness issues notwithstanding.

Courtney
01-30-2008, 02:58 PM
I am so upset about this you have no idea.

luckyface
01-30-2008, 03:00 PM
The lineup is good, but it isn't worth spending $2,000 on. That ATP festival is a pretty incredible lineup, and he could use the remaining money towards Roskilde or one of the other European festivals that should be much better than the Coachella lineup.

Mr. Dylanja
01-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Talk about letting air out of the tire!

Whatta letdown this turned out to be.

Now I'm not going either, THANKS RUSTY!!!

Rusty Cogs
04-22-2008, 06:14 AM
Well guys, just dropped back to wish all coachella go'ers a blast. The line up shaped up pretty good in the end I think.

I signed up for http://www.electricpicnic.ie/ in the Emerald Isle so I'll have a few musical highlights to look forward too.

See you all in '09.

Slan

gaypalmsprings
12-05-2009, 06:29 PM
http://grza.net/GIS/Hard%20Gay%20Twins.jpg

Devin the Dude
12-10-2009, 12:17 PM
still always 100% topical.

hey, since this thread got bumped, i'll also announce my bicycle ride from Temecula to Coachella. half the distance and only a quarter as manly, but still, cycling thread. :]

algunz
12-10-2009, 01:19 PM
What is your plan?

ELECtROjan
12-10-2009, 01:43 PM
damn i just read all three pages thinkin this was for 2010...

algunz
12-10-2009, 02:00 PM
It is now, if Devin is serious.

zimmy1222
12-10-2009, 02:14 PM
I just can't believe how many people were discouraging it...

sf to la is a way more brutal ride... big sur, yikes.

ELECtROjan
12-10-2009, 03:51 PM
google maps had a great route (instead of avoid highways I inputted walking as the mode of transportation) down HWY1 to Pendalton and through the mountains, approaching Coahella from the south. The ride would be awesome to do but personally i dont think itd be worth the worry and physical strain on your body before Coachella.

frazzles
12-10-2009, 06:17 PM
still always 100% topical.

hey, since this thread got bumped, i'll also announce my bicycle ride from Temecula to Coachella. half the distance and only a quarter as manly, but still, cycling thread. :]

What the shit? Really? The drive from Temecula bored me to shit this year. You headed to Rancho California to 79 route or just straight Winchester/79 route?

(I have no idea when they actually intersect as my stint in Temecula was less than a year)

Devin the Dude
12-10-2009, 06:25 PM
What is your plan?

Hwy. 79 is down the street from my house. we're taking 79 to 371 to 74 to 111. all pretty easy riding. Light backpack. Sleeping bag. Tent. Camelbak. Clif. Water. Hopefully doing this on my custom-build Frankenbike, but who knows if i'll ever get that done in time? 'Bout it.

not riding back though. getting a ride with either my real life mommy or my coachella mommy apparently! :]

Devin the Dude
12-10-2009, 06:28 PM
What the shit? Really? The drive from Temecula bored me to shit this year. You headed to Rancho California to 79 route or just straight Winchester/79 route?

(I have no idea when they actually intersect as my stint in Temecula was less than a year)

we're not doing it for the scenery, really. moreso just to be boys.

gaypalmsprings
12-10-2009, 06:32 PM
http://www.campuswheelworks.com/images/bike-cop.gif

Devin the Dude
12-10-2009, 06:49 PM
like i said earlier..

frazzles
12-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Meh, those hills and blind, winding turns up those mountains (maybe 371 at that point) seem pretty brutal and dangerous as fuck for bike riding.

Devin the Dude
12-11-2009, 02:15 AM
nah, they're wider than you'd think. i've seen cyclists on this route throughout.

algunz
12-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Have fun and be careful. California drivers SUCK at paying attention to bicyclists.

Devin the Dude
12-11-2009, 01:14 PM
oh, trust me, i am fully aware. i have to bike everywhere, cars are my mortal enemy and i avoid them like AIDZ needle.

A-Ron
03-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Does anyone know if they will be allowing bikes inside the camping areas this year?

kikeg80
03-31-2010, 02:13 PM

Go raith maith agat

man if you make the ride you can store it at my house i live walking distance to the fest i can't offer a place to sleep already have to many people at my place

SoHungry310
03-31-2010, 03:57 PM
Have you ever completed the bicycle portion of Hawaii's Ironman Competition?

If so, then go ahead and bike to Coachella.

If not, save yourself the pain and check this out.

http://bus2inc.com/bus2inc/coachella.html

CRUZIN
03-31-2010, 04:46 PM
good luck, i'll have a beer waiting for u at the finish line