PDA

View Full Version : why orbitz flight status alerts cost me $146

shakermaker113
12-16-2007, 10:02 PM
I got screwed on my way back from vegas today.

my flight was scheduled for 11.40. at 9.30 I woke up to find two text messages, saying my flight (originally at 11.40) had been delayed until 12.40 pm then further delayed until 2.20 pm.

no way was I going to spend 3 hours in the airport, so I stayed in bed until I had to get up to check out. when I then went to check in for my flight I ended up having to call the airline, and found out that my flight wasn't delayed at all. it was then beyond 11 am and there was no way to get to the airport in time.

I spent at least next hour on the phone with orbitz, most of it on hold. I spent so much time on hold I actually went and had lunch while it happened. they occasionally picked up to speak to me. I felt so rude sat there in the restaurant on the phone the whole time.

orbitz clearly understood that their text messages caused me to miss my flight, but said that all I could do was have the airline put me on a later flight for a $146 charge, which orbitz say they cannot refund. I'm going to try my best to argue with them over it this week, but it may not do any good.

so if you get text alerts about flights, don't take them on blind faith. (I know, what's the point?) and don't book through orbitz. seriously.

Wheres the beef?
12-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Send that story to consumerist.com. If it gets published you can expect a ruckus to be made. Plus you can also get the email/phone number of the head honchos at orbitz. With a little bit of effort you can get all your money back. Just dont use the "proper channels" that they want you to use. Mostly it is setup to spin your wheels and frustrate you to the point of giving up. Go straight to the top with this!

psychic friend
12-16-2007, 10:16 PM
totally send email to consumerist.com (i love this site)

and use their search function too.

Wheres the beef?
12-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Me too. If it got published and then Dugg then millions of people would hear your plight and rally behind you.

captncrzy
12-17-2007, 06:37 AM
That really sucks, man.

1) Really try to avoid purchasing your tickets through those sites. You can use them to look up prices, but if you're purchasing your ticket early enough, you'll find that the airline has the same ticket for virtually the same price-you're not getting much of a deal through travel sites-not to mention the fact that they have their "no refund" policies, where airlines have some wiggle room.

2) Never take what a computer, tv, or text message says at face value. The only real way to know the status of the flight is at the airport. The tower or the FAA can hand down a delay-let's say a weather delay. They may tell you it's going to be a couple of hours-then voila-the airline does an aircraft switch rather than wait for the delayed flight to arrive-and now you're flight isn't really delayed anymore.

TomAz
12-17-2007, 06:51 AM
i agree with Jen. orbitz is good for looking up flight schedules. not for actually buying anything.

shakermaker113
12-17-2007, 08:21 AM
yeah I must stop using those sites. I only used orbitz this time around because it got me a deal booking the flight & hotel room together. or it would have done, if I hadn't missed my returning flight. ugh.

I'll definitely check out consumerist.com though. thanks for the tip.