PDA

View Full Version : Bonnaroo or Coachella???

snowgirl_69
12-13-2007, 01:56 PM
So...coming from the UK, what are the main differences in the 'vibe' at these festivals....came to Coachella last year and it was incredible, just wondering if we should check out Bonnaroo next year?? xx

Ardentbiscuit
12-13-2007, 02:15 PM
It all depends on the type of music you like.

You aren't going to get much Electronica at Bonnaroo.

And it will be more on the jam band / rock side.

It just depends on your taste.

I went to both this year and had fun at both but Coachella is closer to my tastes in music.

The vibe at both is great too.

Anything that takes an effort to get to always attracts the more dedicated and better quality person.

dvdestrd
12-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Coachella

crazzz2007
12-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Coachella

have you been to bonnaroo?

Mr.Nipples
12-13-2007, 04:24 PM
fuck bonnaroo...

crazzz2007
12-13-2007, 04:33 PM
fuck bonnaroo...

have you been to bonnaroo?

orbit
12-13-2007, 04:38 PM
You might also want to ask this in the Bonnaroo message board

faxman75
12-13-2007, 07:46 PM
It's like rich cali kids vs dirty rednecks

You can pick one based on that.

pocket
12-13-2007, 08:02 PM
There isn't really a Bonnaroo message board. I went to both last year, at Bonnaroo you don't tend to get the kids that are there for one band and ruin it for you (like the rage fans this year). The camping sucks at the roo though and you have to walk miles to get into the show.

drugks Gillespie
12-14-2007, 12:56 AM
Bonnaroo is strictly for the hardcore. I think there is a little bit more magic in the air at coachella, but only until midnight. You can find ANYTHING you want at Bonnaroo, Coachella is more BYOD. Both are amazing and I would do both every year if I could, but I will never miss Coachella.

JackoWcko
12-14-2007, 06:22 AM
I've personally only been to Bonnaroo, but am hoping to make my first trip to Coachella this year.

One thing I can already say Bonnaroo has the better advantage of is longer set times and late-night sets.

You can pretty much count on a 2 1/2-3hour set for the headliners at Bonnaroo.

faxman75
12-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Longer set times don't mean much if the headliner isn't someone you want to see. Didn't My Morning Jacket play some long ass set a couple years ago at roo?

I think the 45 minutes they played at Coachella was plenty.

aynalehcar
12-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Bonnaroo.

jigawig
12-14-2007, 08:12 PM
did coachella this year and it rocked, i had such a great time...however, this year im more than likely going to be heading to the roo, 3.5 days of music as compared to 3, music as just about 24 hrs compared to about 10-11 hrs at coachella, plus im hoping for a certain band to be on the line-up

Amneeziac
12-15-2007, 11:43 PM
Coachella. Never been to Bonnaroo, from what I know about it and all the u.s. festivals, it's the next best u.s. music fest.

JackoWcko
12-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Longer set times don't mean much if the headliner isn't someone you want to see.

maybe so..but if you happened to witness Radiohead's '06 3 hour set..you'll find that extended set times are much much better.

marooko
12-17-2007, 11:46 AM
There isn't really a Bonnaroo message board. I went to both last year, at Bonnaroo you don't tend to get the kids that are there for one band and ruin it for you (like the rage fans this year). The camping sucks at the roo though and you have to walk miles to get into the show.

you remind me of Al Gore.

faxman75
12-18-2007, 11:14 AM
maybe so..but if you happened to witness Radiohead's '06 3 hour set..you'll find that extended set times are much much better.

Unless standing with hipsters for 3 hours listening to whiny music isn't quite your thing.

JackoWcko
12-18-2007, 12:06 PM
You make it sound like a 3 hour Dashboard Confessional show

Boourns
12-18-2007, 12:08 PM
YOUR HAIR IS...EVERYWHERE!

SFChrissy
12-18-2007, 12:19 PM
coachella cause I LOVE it and don't like to leave california

send me ctrpllrs
12-18-2007, 02:04 PM
I think I'm going to go to both this year, it being my first for Bonnaroo.

Ritestyl
12-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Wait for the line ups...

The major differences between Coachella and Bonnaroo....

Bonnaroo- Longer set times, more hippes, music all the time (40% of it is good), more rock music
Coachella - shorter set times, less hippes (more so cal kids), not music all the time, more electronic music

But when it comes down to it wait for the line ups... I went to Bonnaroo last year and looking back I wish I went to Coachella

PrettyRagdoll
12-25-2007, 07:10 PM
It's like rich cali kids vs dirty rednecks

You can pick one based on that.

More like starving college kids, going broke for Coachella vs ___

shotglass75
12-25-2007, 07:36 PM
I have been to both multiple times so here is an honest to God opinion. There is something magical about steeping foot on the polo grounds. The scenery is beautiful, the grass is green and the vibe is pretty cool. You do get a degree of LA snobery at Coachella but if you hang with the right people it is all good. Drugs are at coachella but they do not seem to be as out in the open as Bonnaroo. At Bonnaroo, everyone is on something and more than willing to share the wealth. Now people say you get more electronica at Coachella than Roo, and it is true but I think that Bonnaroo is going to step it up this year. Call it a hunch. Bonnaroo is an entire weekend of being in a different world. You can drink anywhere at the festival, no one checks ID's and barely do you get searched for anything. Coachella has the beer tent area and security is much more strict at Coachella. From thursday afternoon to Sunday night there is a party going on. bands play til 3, 4, 5 in the morning. Sasha and Digweed played from 2AM til 7AM last year and it was nuts. By the end of it everyone is dirty, tired and pretty much fried. That is one thing I really enjoy about Roo. No matter who you are or where you come from, everyone seems to be the same. No elitist. I do think the crowd at Roo, although more "hippy" than coachella, is more fun. If you want to get to the front of the main stage, you can petty easily do it. Bonnaroo is really trying to have the most diverse line-up out of all of the festivals in the states and I really think they are doing a great job of doing that by adding bands such as Tool, Wolfmother, Girl Talk, and Franz, and 2 years ago with Radiohead. They never really had those types of acts before. I think there are going to be major surprises this year.

Overall, I think if you are looking for something that is an all night party, free spirit, mindless haze of great music, go to Bonnaroo and come back a new person. I am planning on Glastonbury this year (if I can get tickets-crosses fingers) SO I can't wait to party in the UK. If you have any info about Glastonbury that you can compare it to Coachella, I would love to hear it. I already know that it's muddy and the weather is shit so I would love to hear about the vibe, security, how late things go one, etc...

Bonnaroo won the battle over Coachella last year

shotglass75
12-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Longer set times don't mean much if the headliner isn't someone you want to see. Didn't My Morning Jacket play some long ass set a couple years ago at roo?

I think the 45 minutes they played at Coachella was plenty.

My Morning Jacket played probably one the most amazing 3 hour shows ever. The Coachella set, in the middle of the day, didn't do that band justice at all. I actually left. But seeing them at Bonnaroo, after a 2.5 hour set from Tom Petty, til 3 in the morning was a religious experience. A set time and length of show can really make a difference to a crowds reaction and experience.

slurpee
12-27-2007, 11:43 AM
I have done both festivals multiple times.

Coachella.

starrdogg
12-27-2007, 12:07 PM
I have been going to Coachella since 2004, but I went to my first Bonnaroo last year and though I didn't like it quite as much, I still enjoyed myself. Basically, the best way to describe the difference is this:

Coachella is all about the music. At all times there is an interesting band playing on one of the 5 stages and there always seem to be at least 3 bands playing at once at any given time (and sometimes more). Coachella also gets rare bands, unique performances and reunions that can't be seen anywhere else and won't tour the US. Most people don't camp, and I've found that going back to a hotel/house in the evenings to shower really helps you recharge for the next day. The biggest downside to Coachella is the shorter set-times, but I find that this only applies for the bigger bands playing the festival anyway. I'd have loved to see New Order play twice the set they played in 2005, but 50 minutes is just fine for say, CSS. Plus, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, Coachella just has this incredible energy and excitement that runs through it all weekend long. I can't really describe it, but it's something that must be experienced.

Bonnaroo isn't as much about seeing bands as it is about the full experience. Drugs are everywhere, everyone camps and smells horrible all weekend, there is very little police presence, etc. It's almost like going to another country for 4 days. The music goes all day long, starting around noon and going until 4 or 5 AM in some cases. However this doesn't mean that all stages are full at all times. The two big stages typically have huge breaks between bands and there are never 4 or 5 bands playing at a time. To offset this, though, there is more other stuff to do, there's a comedy tent, a movie theater, a jazz "club" and other random shit. Another drawback is that when the headliners play, all the other stages are quiet, meaning if you don't like the headliner, you've got 3 hours of down time right in the prime part of the evening, which can kill a night. Plus, I'm not gonna lie, I got really worn down by the end. With everything going all night long, I never got a good night's sleep, especially with the heat and sun coming into the tent in the mornings. You go to bed at 3 or 4 and get up around 9 at the latest. By the last day, I could barely stand and just wanted to get out of there. Plus, at least with my tastes, I didn't find the music nearly as compelling, but that might depend what you're into. Despite their attempts to move away from the jam bands, they still probably take up 1/3 to 1/2 of the stage time at Bonnaroo, and so that's nearly half the lineup that I instantly crossed off my list of people to see. (I even tried to watch a few of them, typically while stoned, and still coudn't get into it at all)

Anyway, I prefer Coachella for the music and the energy running through the festival. It's a beautiful weekend. Bonnaroo is more of a marathon and making it all the way through is a feat in and of itself, but it's fun in its own way, especially if you like drugs and doing them without any consequence.

shotglass75
12-27-2007, 03:37 PM
It's almost like going to another country for 4 days.

He is going to another country for 4 days :)

ShyGuy75
12-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Bonnaroo won the battle over Coachella last year

RACIST!

pocket
12-27-2007, 04:25 PM
you remind me of Al Gore.

I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing... I like Al Gore though...

shotglass75
12-27-2007, 07:23 PM
RACIST!

Unless you go, you just don't know. ROO POWER!!!!!

Ardentbiscuit
12-28-2007, 01:44 PM
WTF???

I clicked into this thing on yahoo called 9 things not to miss in 2008 and Bonnaroo was one of them.

Why not Coachella? or ACL? or something else?

http://9.yahoo.com/

Mr. Dylanja
12-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Went to both this year and as awesome as Coachella is.............

BONNAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO would be my choice.

Coachellas message board > everything, jus sayin.

rideincircles
12-28-2007, 05:14 PM
I definitely enjoyed both of the festivals this year immensely. Coachella was the best road trip ever, but Bonnaroo was an entire experience.
Next year I will be going to bonnaroo again most likely, mainly due to when i get can get off and affordability. Coachella is about $100 - $150 more for the tickets and camping, and you cant bring everything you need into the campgrounds.
Coachella isnt much worse than Bonnaoo if your camping, it has nicer grass, and is cleaner.the showers at Coachella are way better, and free at the campgrounds. At Coachella you have to walk with all your stuff to the campgrounds and there is no grills allowed, at Bonnaroo you just camp by your car and grill.
A couple things to note at Bonnaroo, if you get there late, your tent is really far away, and the campgrouds arent secure. Dont expect to leave either, because once your inside you cant get your car out, so you need to bring everything you will need.
Another thing i will say is that the tents are way better at Bonnaroo, they are taller, and dont have sides, so you can surround the tent and still see. Sometimes at Coachella you coudnt even get up near the tent let alone close. i only found that to be the case for the Superjam at bonnaroo. I myself am not a jam band person, and there was plenty to see and this year, the Galactic jam set with all the mc's was the best hiphop thing out of both of the festivals. THere is so much to do at both festivals, I plan on going to both again.

Botrocker
12-30-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing... I like Al Gore though...

Didn't he make some sort of power point?