PDA

View Full Version : who cares...madonna...blah...blah....John Mellencamp

kreutz2112
12-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Leonard Cohen deserved it though.

blah (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/47632-madonna-leonard-cohen-inducted-into-rock-hall)

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Leonard Cohen is the effing man....

TomAz
12-13-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm surprised by Mellencamp.

PassiveTheory
12-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Well, so much for a Hip Hop artist being inducted this year... I was kinda expecting the Beasties to get in, given Grandmaster Flash got in last year...

TomAz
12-13-2007, 11:25 AM
there's a difference between the beasties and grandmaster flash, though I suspect it's lost on Marooned 5 fans

PassiveTheory
12-13-2007, 12:01 PM
As someone who comes from the archaic era that most of the "rock n' roll experts" come from, I'd expect you to understand, if not share their nonchalance in regards to the differences between Grandmaster Flash and the Beastie Boys.

Of course there's a difference, you old douchebag, I'm looking at it through their eyes. That being said, the Beastie's should have gotten in, now if you wanna go ahead and post another meaningless barrage of "blah blah blah Passive likes Maroon 5 blah blah I'm an old douche who posts irrelevant crap", go ahead, but if you disagree with me on that point, you're just being crass.

marooko
12-13-2007, 12:03 PM
damn, passives' pulling out the knives.

dorkfish
12-13-2007, 12:10 PM
based on your title, I was coming in to type "LEONARD COHEN YOU ASS" but it was all a rouse, I see..

miscorrections
12-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Of course there's a difference, you old douchebag, I'm looking at it through their eyes. That being said, the Beastie's should have gotten in, now if you wanna go ahead and post another meaningless barrage of "blah blah blah Passive likes Maroon 5 blah blah I'm an old douche who posts irrelevant crap", go ahead, but if you disagree with me on that point, you're just being crass.

Since when does disagreeing with someone imply crassness?

TomAz
12-13-2007, 01:06 PM
As someone who comes from the archaic era that most of the "rock n' roll experts" come from, I'd expect you to understand, if not share their nonchalance in regards to the differences between Grandmaster Flash and the Beastie Boys.

grandmaster flash was damned good. beasties weren't. the difference isn't subtle.

beasties belong about as much as mellancamp does.

J~$$$
12-13-2007, 01:10 PM
grandmaster flash was damned good. beasties weren't. the difference isn't subtle.

Grandmaster flash was one of the pioneers of RAP/Scratching/turntablism.

Beastie Boys made rap accessible to white people and their music sucked.

PassiveTheory
12-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Let me ask you this, would most of the white people you know that know of Grandmaster Flash would have heard OF Grandmaster Flash if it werent for the Beastie Boys?

J~$$$
12-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Of course, if you are seeking out great music you throw away the shit and go for the gold. There was so much more fantastic rap than the beastie boys in the 80's.

Thats like saying if it wasn't for bobby and his kazoo band I would have never heard of the clash.

TomAz
12-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't know.

I do know that I'm a white people and I used to play Grandmaster Flash when I had a college radio show. this would have been 4-5 years before License to Ill came out.

Mr.Nipples
12-13-2007, 01:24 PM
PETE ROSE!

TomAz
12-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Let me ask you this, would most of the white people you know that know of Grandmaster Flash would have heard OF Grandmaster Flash if it werent for the Beastie Boys?

this post, perhaps above all others, shows what a fucking idiot you are, passive. "The Message" came out in 1982. You were born in 1989. You have absolutely no clue how popular that song was. yet you feel qualified to spout crap as if you were there. shut the fuck up about stuff you have no idea about. if we want an opinion on N*SYNC we'll ask you for it.

anti-square
12-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Leonard Cohen deserved it though.

blah (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/47632-madonna-leonard-cohen-inducted-into-rock-hall)

it looks like its the year of the cougar...

anti-square
12-13-2007, 01:44 PM

this is ignant as fuck.

marooko
12-13-2007, 02:16 PM
I don't know.

I do know that I'm a white people and I used to play Grandmaster Flash when I had a college radio show. this would have been 4-5 years before License to Ill came out.

how old were you then, tom?

beat street break down rrrrahg.

TomAz
12-13-2007, 02:23 PM
what? when?

I was 20 in 1982.

amyzzz
12-13-2007, 02:39 PM
I remember my sister singing the lyrics to "White Lines" before I remember her telling me that the Beastie Boys were booed off stage when they opened for Madonna.

kreutz2112
12-13-2007, 02:41 PM
zzz, you are on a role with the clever, relevant, posts today. +10

roberto73
12-13-2007, 02:47 PM

Since when is this criteria for anything? By that same logic, they should go ahead and induct Interpol in a few years for leading people to Joy Division.

Nice mangling of the English language, by the way.

miscorrections
12-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Roberto, I'm in love with you and I feel fine.

roberto73
12-13-2007, 02:57 PM
That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and
snakes, an aeroplane and Lenny Bruce is not afraid.
Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn - world
serves its own needs, dummy serve your own needs. Feed
it off an aux speak, grunt, no, strength, Ladder
start to clatter with fear fight down height. Wire
in a fire, representing seven games, a government
for hire and a combat site. Left of west and coming in
a hurry with the furies breathing down your neck. Team
by team reporters baffled, trumped, tethered cropped.
Look at that low playing! Fine, then. Uh oh,
overflow, population, common food, but it'll do. Save
yourself, serve yourself. World serves its own needs,
listen to your heart bleed dummy with the rapture and
the revered and the right, right. You vitriolic,
patriotic, slam, fight, bright light, feeling pretty
psyched.

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Six o'clock - TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign
towers. Slash and burn, return, listen to yourself
churn. Locking in, uniforming, book burning, blood
letting. Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate.
Light a candle, light a votive. Step down, step down.
Watch your heel crush, crushed, uh-oh, this means no
fear cavalier. Renegade steer clear! A tournament,
tournament, a tournament of lies. Offer me solutions,
offer me alternatives and I decline.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

The other night I dreamt of knives, continental
drift divide. Mountains sit in a line, Leonard
Bernstein. Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester
Bangs. Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, boom! You
symbiotic, patriotic, slam book neck, right? Right.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel
fine...fine...

(It's time I had some time alone)

mountmccabe
12-13-2007, 03:04 PM
I love Leonard Cohen so much.

I can't see arguing with Madonna.

Johnny Cougar makes my heart hurt, though.

I can't say much about the other two that made it in.

TomAz
12-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Johnny Cougar makes my heart hurt, though.

WSHGT9bATdc

ivankay
12-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Man, all the suprise and dissing on Mr. Mellencamp is just wrong. Doesn't matter if you personally like or hate him, but he is a major (yes, he is) figure in music over the past 25 years. In that time he has written more than a few classic songs, a few great albums, been excellent live, did the Farm Aid thing, and just been a pretty cool, "true to thine self" guy. You who are suprised aren't looking or listening fair enough.

Beasties should be no question. They are one of the main reasons rap bled into the country on a masse scale. Regardless of some of the initial racist reasons that might be (some white kids not diggin rap til they came along), eventually they would help open hearts and minds in a most positive way. Once again, classic songs, excellent albums, and being the major cultural force they have been should push aside any debate that came up to exclude them from the bullshit Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (which on it's pretentiousness alone makes it lame.)

Sexecutioner
12-13-2007, 06:49 PM
wow, i cant believe all the beastie hate. melloncamp, sure, just cuz his damn "this is our country" sellout song makes me wish he was never born. but cmon, beasties were the shit back in the day. they might be past their prime now, but they were rap/rock icons for a good decade. i dont even see how its debatable. if i knew any of you in real life, id bet you a c note they are inducted some day.

PassiveTheory
12-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Man, all the suprise and dissing on Mr. Mellencamp is just wrong. Doesn't matter if you personally like or hate him, but he is a major (yes, he is) figure in music over the past 25 years. In that time he has written more than a few classic songs, a few great albums, been excellent live, did the Farm Aid thing, and just been a pretty cool, "true to thine self" guy. You who are suprised aren't looking or listening fair enough.

Beasties should be no question. They are one of the main reasons rap bled into the country on a masse scale. Regardless of some of the initial racist reasons that might be (some white kids not diggin rap til they came along), eventually they would help open hearts and minds in a most positive way. Once again, classic songs, excellent albums, and being the major cultural force they have been should push aside any debate that came up to exclude them from the bullshit Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (which on it's pretentiousness alone makes it lame.)

And don't forget that the Beasties did help organize the Tibetan Freedom concerts which have been a model for political awareness events ever since.

summerkid
12-13-2007, 07:07 PM
wow, i cant believe all the beastie hate.

seriously, wtf is this? Paul's Boutique sucks? You people need to get your head out of your asses.

sydaud
12-13-2007, 08:42 PM

Agreed, agreed, agreed, et. al.....

It's called the Hall of FAME, not the Hall of Cool nor the Hall of Trendsetting. Both Mellencamp and the Beasties were both prominent players in the post "classic rock" era---they both sold tons of albums and were both extremely visible in the MTV era. The Beasties are no Grandmaster Flash (nor Run DMC) and Mellencamp isn't Dylan or Springsteen but for their time they were two immensely huge artists. You don't have to like them but both do belong in the hall of FAME because they're quite famous.

As an aside, one of the coolest item in the entire R&RHOF is David Cassidy's handcarved Gibson SG.

Aside #2---Summerkid, Paul's Boutique, if just for the Dust Brother's production alone, is one of the great rap albums. I don't care if you don't think the Beasties can't rap at all, just the sheer number of samples and the way they were used on the album makes it a fantastic listen. If you can't hear that, then it's your loss. I think it's the rap equal to the "White Album" and I still listen to it nearly 20 years after I first heard it.

Hannahrain
12-13-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm torn between my fond memories of my Beasties phases and my unbridled loathing of Passivetheory. The two trains shouldn't meet. It's not safe. I don't want chocolate in my peanut butter.

sydaud
12-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Hannah, stop being so damn witty. People are trying to prove a point here.

Sexecutioner
12-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Aside #2---Summerkid, Paul's Boutique, if just for the Dust Brother's production alone, is one of the great rap albums. I don't care if you don't think the Beasties can't rap at all, just the sheer number of samples and the way they were used on the album makes it a fantastic listen. If you can't hear that, then it's your loss. I think it's the rap equal to the "White Album" and I still listen to it nearly 20 years after I first heard it.

agreed. that shit is top notch.

anti-square
12-13-2007, 11:06 PM
There's no hate against the Beastie Boys. Just hate against dumbass, baseless comments.

TomAz
12-14-2007, 04:50 AM

the guy had two good albums in those 25 years. and he's certainly not the first above-average-but-not-great white male singer/songwriter to make it. Bob Seger and Jackson Browne are both already in. Dion. Paul Simon. Rod Stewart, Elton John, James Taylor. and even worse acts have been inducted: The Eagles, Billy Joel, Van Halen, Bonnie Raitt. so yeah I guess Mellencamp fits the HOF profile.

but the fact that these guys have made it but a Gram Parsons hasn't, Television hasn't, Jimmy Cliff hasn't -- all of whom have been a lot more influential and important in the development of rock music -- chaps my ass a bit.

amyzzz
12-14-2007, 05:25 AM
Yikes. I thought Hannah was kitt kat because of her new red kitt kat-ish avatar. It was like kitt kat had gotten all witty all of a sudden. Whew. The moment of hysteria has passed.

Also, I don't hate the Beastie Boys so much. Some of their songs are catchy. Although I used to HATE when they played their songs so much at Atomic Cafe when I used to go dancing--they did not sound good mashed up next to KMFDM and Stereophonics and NIN.

summerkid
12-14-2007, 08:33 AM
but the fact that these guys have made it but a Gram Parsons hasn't,

The Byrds are in...

TomAz
12-14-2007, 08:37 AM
The Byrds are in...

true enough. not quite the same though. I mean they Byrds are in more for "Eight Miles High" and "Mr Tambourine Man" than they are for Sweetheart of the Rodeo. and Gram didn't even sing.

Yablonowitz
12-14-2007, 08:57 AM
true enough. not quite the same though. I mean they Byrds are in more for "Eight Miles High" and "Mr Tambourine Man" than they are for Sweetheart of the Rodeo. and Gram didn't even sing.

Gram Parsons was far more influential as a solo artist than the Byrds. I mean, fucking A. His ommission is really ridiculous.

But, I agree than Mellanhead is a logical pick just for the sheer popularity of "Jack and Diane." Which I still kinda like. Reminds me of being in...wait for it kids...5th grade.

J~$$$
12-14-2007, 09:03 AM
pics plz.

Yablonowitz
12-14-2007, 09:05 AM
pics plz.

My parents didn't take pictures of me because I was the third baby and they didn't give a shit.

full on idle
12-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Little Pink Houses

Bloomington, Indiana home to Johnny Cougar, also the birthplace of Mr. John Darnielle.

Mr.Nipples
12-14-2007, 10:15 AM
A friend of mine was in a john mellencamp video a couple years ago...

full on idle
12-14-2007, 10:29 AM
What song?