PDA

View Full Version : strategies for keeping track your friends at Coachella?

Kampy
01-18-2007, 04:21 PM
I've seen people use a few different methods to make it easier to keep track of your friends at Coachella, including

walkie talkies or FRS radios
text messaging on cell phones
matching shirts/hats
planning to meet at specified places at specified times

are there any other methods that you've used, or seen others use?

suprefan
01-18-2007, 04:24 PM
I am going to use walkie talkies this year since last year the person I was with didnt carry their phone with them and it messed up some parts of the day. And strangely enough cell phone reception is whack inside the venue. Of all the places right?

mountmccabe
01-18-2007, 04:52 PM
DITCH THEM

superfiction
01-18-2007, 04:55 PM
yeah, i find the best thing to do if you really want to have a good time is just meet up at the end of the night. i hate having to worry. i just want to do my own thing

nmaff
01-18-2007, 07:16 PM
yeah, i find the best thing to do if you really want to have a good time is just meet up at the end of the night. i hate having to worry. i just want to do my own thing

totally. if someone doesn't have the exact same taste in music as you, fuck em.

summerkid
01-18-2007, 07:21 PM
ya, first day i made a deal with my friend that if I saw Kanye (Common ruled so it wasn't that bad even though I missed MMJ) with him he'd see Daft Punk with me and skip out on Depeche Mode so we could get good spots. Second day we kinda did our own thing and met up for certain bands like Los Amigos Invisibles, Metric, and than YYYs, Massive Attack. I dunno which is better its certainly more fun with a friend, but if you sacrifice more than one or two bands you should probably do your own thing.

woogie846
01-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Just make a spot to meet at the end of the night, like in the food court at some table.

bballarl
01-18-2007, 08:02 PM
I did my own thing last year while my friend and his friend (who have more similar tastes) went around. We would pick meet up spots and whatnot. Tesla Coil was the meeting point in case anyone got lost.

This year I'm just going to install microchips in my friends and use a sophisticated GPS tracking system to find them.

All That I Am
01-19-2007, 08:34 AM
This year I decided to only make friends with people who either share the same taste in music or are seven and a half feet tall, that way if we get seperated we won't have a problem making out their giant ass Dikembe Mutombo silhouette in a crowd. If that doesn't work try stilts.

JelloPuddingChat
01-19-2007, 08:41 AM
But what about those stilt people who walk around. You'd get confused.

I've never hung out with my friends during the whole day of coachella. Usually there's lesser known bands playing in the beggining so they don't care who I drag them to. After that when they want to see some shit band I just do my own thing for the whole day and meet at the end of the night.

chairmenmeow47
01-19-2007, 08:43 AM
walkie talkies are a horrible idea. for one reason, everyone and their mom has them and there's only like 16 consumer frequencies, so you'll be listening to chatter from other people all day. not to mention, you have to keep a constant listen for them which is impossible when you're watching a set. you also can't receive messages on a walkie talkie. we tried to use them in 2004.

though, it was kinda funny to hear people saying "meet us at the spider" ALL DAY, lol.

text messaging is better, though it can take some time for the messages to go through. our group likes to find meetup spots in each of the areas, so that way, if we want to find someone during an act, we'll know they'll be someone in that general area to look for.

also, i recommend being as specific as possible. instead of saying "meet by the tessla coil", you want to walk up to a specific part of the fence and say "meet right here". they'll be so many people at the end of the night, that the more specific your meeting spot is, the better.

Kampy
01-19-2007, 09:23 AM
walkie talkies are a horrible idea. for one reason, everyone and their mom has them and there's only like 16 consumer frequencies, so you'll be listening to chatter from other people all day.

I agree that walkies are not ideal at a music festival (hard to talk/listen when you're being blasted by Mogwai) BUT most walkies (FRS radios) manufactured within the past few years have 38 "privacy" sub-channels within each of the 14 main channels, making it easy to filter out the chatter

they've also gotten way cheaper. I paid $100 for one motorola radio back in 2000, now you can get a 2-pack for like $20

Glamour Damaged
01-19-2007, 09:30 AM
My friends and I used Walkie Talkies and they came in handy. The whole cell phone thing was pretty useless. No one could hear their phones ringing and even on vibrate, you couldnt feel it cause of the loud bass in the music. With the Walkie Talkies we did hear other peoples convos once in awhile, but it didnt matter cause of the page option. Just hit "page" (BLEEEP!!!) and you know that it was definatly from one of your friends. Make a code word, perferrably something funny or something you know others wont use. So when you hear it, you know that its intended for you and its not some random person fucking around. In my opinion I thought they were fun. But otherwise than that we just set meet up times....

KenMixtape
01-19-2007, 10:08 AM
We always wear bright yellow t-shirts. It's very easy to find your friend in a crowd if he's wearing a bright yellow t-shirt. This applies to daytime only.

Boourns
01-19-2007, 11:34 AM
This year I decided to only make friends with people who either share the same taste in music or are seven and a half feet tall, that way if we get seperated we won't have a problem making out their giant ass Dikembe Mutombo silhouette in a crowd. If that doesn't work try stilts.

"WHO WANTS TO SEX MUTOMBO?"

Boourns
01-19-2007, 11:56 AM
I ran into everyone at Coachella last year except for the one I wanted to run into the most.

You gotta implant tracking devices into your people, yes.

bmack86
01-19-2007, 11:58 AM
I just used serendipity to find people. I randomly ran into friends who I didn't even know had come, and i always miraculously found the group that I came with as well (except for my dad, who disappeared without a trace)

Alchemy
01-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Text messaging is iffy. I recommend this:

http://www.tommiguard.com/images/FBy_My_Side_with_Harness.jpg

Glamour Damaged
01-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Wow! hahahaa

dflood75
01-19-2007, 10:46 PM
RFID

TheCutestBoyAlive
01-19-2007, 10:56 PM
My meeting spot for my friends is the giant caterpillar in the center of the field.

psychic friend
01-19-2007, 11:25 PM
you guys are funny. set meeting points/times. if you cant find your friend at the tessla coil at 3pm then he/she was doing something else. walkies and text and phone dont work after like 3pm.

All That I Am
01-19-2007, 11:31 PM
i'm gonna try smoke signals this year.

amdux
01-20-2007, 12:50 AM
use those big flag poles they parade around at the olympics opening and closing ceremonies :winkiss

kreutz2112
01-20-2007, 08:35 AM

laineinla
01-20-2007, 10:59 AM
lost my friends for the majority of both days last year and went on my merry way... found them by chance at the end of the night and still a good time was had by all.

uh... oh yeah, having ***set "meetup" times and location helps too, as does "coordinated", highly visible attire (we were in big sombrero hats... which also conveniently enough, doubled as as fans).

it helps to have much taller friends to look for too ;)

airguitarvet
01-20-2007, 12:55 PM
this sounds corny- butttttttttttttt

walk around with a balloon.

alpharuin
01-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Mostly just text messages. Of course we arrange to meet at certain bands we all want to see.

mountmccabe
01-20-2007, 05:36 PM
I usually did well with text messages and the phone on vibrate. I guess it depends on your network.

Balloons and Sombreros are each horrible ideas. Big things that get in the way of people trying to see the stages are not cool.

The friends I rode to and from Coachella with in ***4 had walkie talkies. I'm not sure they were useful inside the fest but they were fun while we were stuck waiting to get out of the parking lot. There were plenty of walkie talkies going and people being silly.

antpeople
01-20-2007, 06:53 PM
I saw a couple of guys with Swedish flags one year....the two flags wiggled in the crowd until they met in the middle...***tty funny to watch

laineinla
01-20-2007, 07:00 PM
we took the sombreros OFF during sets, OBVIOUSLY. not sure how holding one in my hand (sometimes between my knees) during a set would take up any more space than anything else (like backpacks, which none of us had) other folks bring in.

don't remember actually seeing anyone w/ balloons though...

amyzzz
01-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Walkie talkies worked for us last year when the show was over, and we were trying to meet up with people. My poor brother was stuck in the crowd leaving after Tool while my husband and I were waiting in the parking lot. My brother kept humming the tune from "Da Funk" in his walkie talkie before he finally said he was so slow because the damn Tool crowd was so huge.

Oh, and I believe balloon are forbidden to bring in--probably because people can put drugs/nitrous/etc in them.

airguitarvet
01-21-2007, 07:51 AM
ahhhhh i see

Canuckgirl
01-22-2007, 06:13 PM
meet at the beer garden after sets, doesn't matter if they are late you just drink more beer.

soupbandit
01-23-2007, 12:56 AM
me and my buds just got some costumes and stilts last year

DigOphelia
01-23-2007, 12:59 AM
I love the tether belt idea. Text messages are so unreliable out there.

GTI_GRL
01-23-2007, 02:39 AM
Everyone in my group had cingular, and texting was worthless. Its easier to put someones name next to the artists they want to see in your progam and then look out for them. If not, camp and see then back there.

kabel
01-23-2007, 06:12 AM
We would just tie a funny balloon to someone and they were the meeting point in the middle of a large crowd, lol. "FIND THE POOH BEAR BALLOON!"

lethaldesign
01-23-2007, 08:16 AM
The cell service has been horrible both years that I went, so I wouldn't rely on text messaging. I would recommend setting up meeting points/times through out the day. Or what my friends & I usually do at big events is always go to a certain area of the tent/stage. Like front right...

rampaige
01-23-2007, 08:32 AM
I agree with everyone that said texting didn't work. Last year on monday after the festival, about fifty messages flooded my phone:
"where r u"
"meet at 3"
"hotel party at best western, interested?"
"i lost my flip flop"
"i am tripping balls"

Penciling in names on the set list schedule helps, at least it gives you a general area to look for someone. If you're hell bent on staying together, pick a specific spot to meet if you get separated. And the more specific, the better. We agreed to meet at the Virgin tent...we hung out inside for 20 minutes while our friends were pacing around outside wondering where in the hell we were.

DeltaSigChi4
02-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Why don't you highly dependent lame assed people just not worry about your friends?

How is that for a novel concept?

*NOTE: Only applies to those who are worried, have worried, and will worry in the future about friends at a goddamn music festival*

E

SWEETSHIVERBURN
02-17-2007, 07:50 PM
I am tagging my boyfriend with a homing(sp) device.sortoflikewhat we have on our dog.

Leckie
02-18-2007, 08:59 AM
I am going to use walkie talkies this year since last year the person I was with didnt carry their phone with them and it messed up some parts of the day. And strangely enough cell phone reception is whack inside the venue. Of all the places right?

it's not so much the reception as it is an issue with cellular congestion. put 60,000 people with cell phones in any small area and you're going to have too many people making too many calls that are being routed to the same cell tower. the towers can't handle that much traffic.

if you're going to try and stay in touch with a cell phone, i'd suggest text messaging as it only needs to connect to the tower for a brief second as it sends the message.

Leckie
02-18-2007, 09:00 AM
I agree with everyone that said texting didn't work. Last year on monday after the festival, about fifty messages flooded my phone:
"where r u"
"meet at 3"
"hotel party at best western, interested?"
"i lost my flip flop"
"i am tripping balls"

Penciling in names on the set list schedule helps, at least it gives you a general area to look for someone. If you're hell bent on staying together, pick a specific spot to meet if you get separated. And the more specific, the better. We agreed to meet at the Virgin tent...we hung out inside for 20 minutes while our friends were pacing around outside wondering where in the hell we were.

ignore my last post then. lol

wisconsinboozer
02-18-2007, 09:21 AM
i was out on a trip in NYC and i actually seen him walking out of a cellphone store, me and a buddy got his autograph, mine was on a Mn Timberwolves hat lol

Mctommy
02-18-2007, 09:24 AM
it's not so much the reception as it is an issue with cellular congestion. put 60,000 people with cell phones in any small area and you're going to have too many people making too many calls that are being routed to the same cell tower. the towers can't handle that much traffic.

if you're going to try and stay in touch with a cell phone, i'd suggest text messaging as it only needs to connect to the tower for a brief second as it sends the message.

even then, at times you will have a 10-30 minutes delay in the txt sending/receiving.

Happens with as little as 15-20k events.

gaypalmsprings
02-18-2007, 09:40 AM
wear funny hats

http://www.foureyesjokeshop.com/ProductImages/Baseball_Topper_Funny_Hat.jpg

http://img.costumecraze.com/images/vendors/rasta/3042-main.jpg

momof5
02-18-2007, 09:52 AM
We have had no phone service trouble in all of the past years. We also have a meeting place and we coordinate who wants to see what ahead of time as soon as the sets are announced.We have definite acts and maybe acts and no-way acts . Roaming alone is fine but it is nice to see some things with each other--that shared experience thing! Also it is nice to relax and eat together and talk about what we have seen so far.

Leckie
02-18-2007, 12:32 PM
wear funny hats

http://www.foureyesjokeshop.com/ProductImages/Baseball_Topper_Funny_Hat.jpg

http://img.costumecraze.com/images/vendors/rasta/3042-main.jpg

best idea yet

MarkO
02-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Last year, me & one of my friends used a little blackberry style Motorola 2way pager/email thing that we have for work. Worked a treat.

dontfeedthebird
02-18-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm keeping my friends in Oklahoma.

matsuolost
02-18-2007, 12:59 PM
what about nextel?

Ihateoprah
02-18-2007, 01:02 PM
me and my group have a bird call...but we have a bunch of walkie talkies with the ear peice..dont know if thats gonna work well, dont really want to be carting around a walkie talkie hook to my shorts..

Leckie
02-18-2007, 01:12 PM
what about nextel?

the 2way works on iDen technology. could work better since its a different frequency than gsm & cdma?

MarkO
02-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Can you hear me now ?

No ... but I can hear RATM !

Californicator
02-18-2007, 06:14 PM
I just used serendipity to find people. I randomly ran into friends who I didn't even know had come, and i always miraculously found the group that I came with as well (except for my dad, who disappeared without a trace)

Serendipity at shows...this always happens to me. I let my friends go as they please, and eventually, I'll be standing right behind them at the end of the night. Usually happens when the shrooms wear off.

rideincircles
02-18-2007, 11:17 PM
I have a Dallas Mavericks hat with flashing blue and white led lights in the logo, you will proably see it flashing at night. This is hard not to miss, its as bright as a flashlight at night. Its way cooler than those flashlight headlamp things.

babiemunkie
02-19-2007, 06:20 AM
for those who did use cell phones what service did you have and did it work well or did all the services just suck out there due to congestion?

I have verizon...

Surrealkiller
02-20-2007, 11:38 AM
^

I was gonna post the same thing as above. I have T-mobile...anyone have bad experiences with my company out there? preferably texting..

Surrealkiller
02-20-2007, 11:39 AM
"i lost my flip flop"
"i am tripping balls"

LOL :D

The flip flop one is cute.

Courtney
02-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Ditch 'em.

No, we just schedule meet-ups for certain bands that we all want to see, and otherwise try not to stress out too much about it. I definitely also run into people unexpectedly, which is fun.

I-predict-a-riot
02-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Ditch 'em.

No, we just schedule meet-ups for certain bands that we all want to see, and otherwise try not to stress out too much about it. I definitely also run into people unexpectedly, which is fun.

Totally!!! When you've lost the majority of your group for a while and you run into them randomly it's like you haven't seen eachother in years...it's so joyous!!! Maybe it's because if you've seen some of the most amazing things you will ever see without them... I dunno.

ch33tah
02-20-2007, 04:11 PM
sms. standard.
but then again last year it was just my best friend and i. we didnt split up at all.

this year will be 4 of us going, but again, we wont be splitting up at all. it's silly really.

Kampy
02-22-2007, 06:15 PM
OK, here it is.... yet another how-to-do-Coachella article from me to you

check it:

How to Keep Track of Your Friends at Coachella 2007 (http://wehow.ehow.com/how_2027134_keep-track-friends-coachella.html)

yo welcum

suprefan
02-22-2007, 07:04 PM
I am getting these in a week when I get paid.. Only $40 on e bay for the set..

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00007KJYY.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/

Kampy
02-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Suprefan... those are awesome, and would be perfect for Coachella. Maybe I'll get a pair too

suprefan
02-23-2007, 11:36 PM
Yeah I'll post a link to the place thats selling them on E bay. Also free pick up if you live in the L.A. area.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-NEW-XACT-X2X-WRISTLINX-2-WAY-RADIO-WRIST-WATCH-NO-RES_W0QQitemZ220067740735QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3308QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

allyjoy
02-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Text messaging is iffy. I recommend this:

http://www.tommiguard.com/images/FBy_My_Side_with_Harness.jpg

sidenote: those things scar children for life.

Blinken
02-06-2008, 03:45 PM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00007KJYY.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/

Sweet, I always wanted these since Dick Tracy when i was kid.

gaypalmsprings
02-06-2008, 04:06 PM
http://www.dojgov.net/id_chip_technology.gif

dropbeats
02-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Screw em and make new friends.

Coachellian
02-19-2008, 06:00 PM
not everyone has the same taste in music, so at the end of the fest, meet at the testla coil, if that doesn't work, go to to car, make sure you have a key, if you get there first, take a nap and wait for your friends.

(is a good idea to give your friends a spare key...i've lost my key's couple of times and it was a bitch to get AAA in the festival when everyone is trying to get out)

psychic friend
02-19-2008, 06:40 PM
im always surprised that the large number of car keys at lost and found that nobody comes looking for at the end of the night or next day.

OnAJourney
02-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Last year I did get some text messages late, I think it would be wise to actually text the time with the text:
"I had to take a piss, meet me by the swings 4:16"
If they were to get the message at 6 or later, than its obvious I wont be there-we move on and go our separate ways.

amyzzz
02-20-2008, 12:53 PM
That's a very clever idea.

nutcase890
03-03-2008, 04:49 PM
cell phones and not getting so wasted that you can't remember where your tent is.

chiapet
03-03-2008, 05:27 PM
My text messages were extremely delayed last year, or just didn't go through at all. From say, maybe 7PM until after the shows ended each night. This year, I'll just have a better plan about when and where I'm meeting people.

Cheddar's Cousin
03-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Pin them to the back of your shirt.

KookyFor1973
03-03-2008, 05:51 PM
http://www.boatus-store.com/images/full/6997688.jpg

Do you think security would let me in with a flare gun?

donthasselthehof
03-03-2008, 05:53 PM
if they dont ill help you throw it over a fence

greghead
03-03-2008, 06:04 PM
sms. standard.
but then again last year it was just my best friend and i. we didnt split up at all.

this year will be 4 of us going, but again, we wont be splitting up at all. it's silly really.

Don't be a hooker and sell yourself out like that.

Ditch 'em, either you will resent them for making you watch a shitty band, or they will resent you for the same reason. Pick a point that doesn't move, like the bleachers at the Outdoor Stage after or before a set. It's not a perfect plan but it works.

kingdumb
03-04-2008, 12:51 PM
smoke signals?!?!