PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

Melanie.Dawn
12-12-2007, 12:44 PM
What exactly is it that IS everyone (if you can even say it like that...?). What do you do...or what is it that you want to do?

Currently I work at a big oil company at a job I hate, for the money.

But before that... I was a Veterinary Assistant! I went to NAIT (college), I graduated with the highest mark in my class, I worked at a Veterinary Clinic, I volunteered at a Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre, I like animals..

I left because I was BROKE! Respect your vet! He or She is probably broke!

But, there is hope. I'm planning on going back to University in the fall of 2008 for Zoology... to hopefully one day become a zookeeper!

What about everyone else?

bug on your lip
12-12-2007, 12:48 PM
i travel around the country and scoop poop at parades

Ill_Eagle
12-12-2007, 12:51 PM
walk the earth, meet people... get into adventures. Like Caine from "Kung Fu."

suprefan
12-12-2007, 12:55 PM
I work for the mafia and go to lots of shows, thats what I do. Happy?

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 12:57 PM
"Happy?"

Whats wrong with you? You spout off like a 13 year old spoiled brat.

suprefan
12-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Nothing, she asked what I do, I answered her question.

Wheres the beef?
12-12-2007, 12:58 PM
I beg for change on the street.

Melanie.Dawn
12-12-2007, 12:59 PM
I kinda thought everyone would like talking about what they like... oh well

PassiveTheory
12-12-2007, 01:00 PM
College student, studying Psychology & Electronic Music, concert go-er, etc.

Yablonowitz
12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Nothing, she asked what I do, I answered her question.

I think my colleague was wondering why you felt the need to end your post with that rhetorical question.

Yablonowitz
12-12-2007, 01:03 PM
I work in communications for a healthcare company. I am likely to be laid off in the next three months and looking for work.

bug on your lip
12-12-2007, 01:07 PM
I work in communications for a healthcare company. I am likely to be laid off in the next three months and looking for work.

maybe you could work on one of those king crab boats in Alaska

Melanie.Dawn
12-12-2007, 01:13 PM

Everyone would be so mean to you because you were new... but you couldn't leave because you'd be in the middle of the frozen ocean... so really, it's like your being forced to make lots of money. Who wouldn't want that?

Mr.Nipples
12-12-2007, 01:14 PM
I dont do shit!

kreutz2112
12-12-2007, 01:15 PM
I kinda thought everyone would like talking about what they like... oh well

we already had this thread before thats why people are being assholes.

occupation - pretentious fuck

Bud Luster
12-12-2007, 01:20 PM
walk the earth, meet people... get into adventures. Like Caine from "Kung Fu."

you're like those pieces of shit out there who beg for change. They walk around like a bunch of fuckin' zombies,they sleep in garbage bins, they eat what I throw away, and dogs piss on 'em. They got a word for em, they're called bums. And without a job, residence, or legal tender, that's what you are -- a fuckin' bum!

marooko
12-12-2007, 01:20 PM
I work for a drafting company that irritates me more and more everyday. I can't quite afford to quit yet, but i'm working on that. My car payments end in january and my debt will be paid off by the end of next year. Where should I look for work?

Yablonowitz
12-12-2007, 01:22 PM

That would have fatal results. For me.

SFChrissy
12-12-2007, 01:23 PM
construction management, raise 2 fantastic little boys, venture various skateparks in nor/so-cal, live music & hang out on the coast.

Melanie.Dawn
12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
I work for a drafting company that irritates me more and more everyday. I can't quite afford to quit yet, but i'm working on that. My car payments end in january and my debt will be paid off by the end of next year. Where should I look for work?

Umm. anywhere in Alberta... if you're up for Canada! The only thing Alberta does is oil.. and what do you need to get oil?! Piplines! and what do you need to make pipelines!? Drafters! Everyone is rich in this town... even me, and I don't know anything, I just work at an oil company!

Ill_Eagle
12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
you're like those pieces of shit out there who beg for change. They walk around like a bunch of fuckin' zombies,they sleep in garbage bins, they eat what I throw away, and dogs piss on 'em. They got a word for em, they're called bums. And without a job, residence, or legal tender, that's what you are -- a fuckin' bum!

Awesome! Glad someone caught that. :)

marooko
12-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Umm. anywhere in Alberta... if you're up for Canada! The only thing Alberta does is oil.. and what do you need to get oil?! Piplines! and what do you need to make pipelines!? Drafters! Everyone is rich in this town... even me, and I don't know anything, I just work at an oil company!

so thats why you said centre! and its fucking beautiful up there(canada). ive gone to manitoulin island a few times.

Yablonowitz
12-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Awesome! Glad someone caught that. :)

Yeah, it flew way over my head being such an obscure reference and all.

Melanie.Dawn
12-12-2007, 01:43 PM
so thats why you said centre! and its fucking beautiful up there(canada). ive gone to manitoulin island a few times.

Hey! Centre is perfectly applicable there.

centre - noun

a place having, or designed for, a particular activity, interest etc
Example: a centre of industry; a shopping-centre; a sports-centre

We also have a Chinook CentRE mall here...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/centre

All That I Am
12-12-2007, 01:44 PM
I play Street Fighter II professionally, but things have really fallen off since Street Fighter III came out.

Ill_Eagle
12-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Well whoever likes the movie would know.

TomAz
12-12-2007, 01:46 PM

do you work for Blue Cross of Montana?

Yablonowitz
12-12-2007, 01:49 PM
do you work for Blue Cross of Montana?

We contract with them and they represent about 35% of our office's revenue. And they're fucking going to pull our disease management and case management services in house. So..we's on shaky ground.

BCBSMT is fucked up, though. Seriously.

ThomThom
12-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Hospital Administration

marooko
12-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Hey! Centre is perfectly applicable there.

centre - noun

a place having, or designed for, a particular activity, interest etc
Example: a centre of industry; a shopping-centre; a sports-centre

We also have a Chinook CentRE mall here...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/centre

No need to get defensive, I was just wondering where exactly you were from that you said centre, that's all.

psychic friend
12-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Respect your vet! He or She is probably broke!

Considering I spend a good $500 almost every visit, I highly doubt that.

bmack86
12-12-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm unemployed, and a full time student. Getting a new job once next quarter starts, most likely.

wmgaretjax
12-12-2007, 02:11 PM
i'm a student at the university of washington. i also work doing network administration for my department here.

TomAz
12-12-2007, 02:18 PM
I have a small business spreading cow manure on agricultural fields in central Romania. We have an opening if you're interested.

Melanie.Dawn
12-12-2007, 02:19 PM
No need to get defensive, I was just wondering where exactly you were from that you said centre, that's all.

sorry, didn't mean to sound so defensive. in my mind my 'Hey! thats applicable'.. was in a friendly, jovial voice

Melanie.Dawn
12-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Considering I spend a good $500 almost every visit, I highly doubt that.

Well, seeing as how your vet has to pay for everything you see out of his/her own pocket, including the building, the x ray machine, the drugs, the kennels... down to the pens, paper and ear swabs... I wouldn't be so doubtful.

Down Rodeo
12-12-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm a grad student in Mechanical Engineering at UC Berkeley. I do research on human spines, because that's where the money is right now. So in a couple decades when you're all free of back pain, you can thank me.

marooko
12-12-2007, 02:25 PM
sorry, didn't mean to sound so defensive. in my mind my 'Hey! thats applicable'.. was in a friendly, jovial voice

no prob.

Lt. Dangel
12-12-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm a grad student in Mechanical Engineering at UC Berkeley. I do research on human spines, because that's where the money is right now. So in a couple decades when you're all free of back pain, you can thank me.

Is there any hope for those of us sitting at a desk all day that get that burning sensation between our shoulder blades. Im almost considering finding another (on my feet more) job, this pain annoyes me so much. And I actually like my job (and thats hard to come by).

thelastgreatman
12-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Is there any hope for those of us sitting at a desk all day that get that burning sensation between our shoulder blades. Im almost considering finding another (on my feet more) job, this pain annoyes me so much. And I actually like my job (and thats hard to come by).

Yoga for your back. Honestly it's amazing for the chair-sitting pains.

bballarl
12-12-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm a history major at LMU. I intern at Warner Bros Records. In my spare time, I euthanize the homeless.

Lt. Dangel
12-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Actually youre right LGM. Yoga and some pilates exercises seem to be the only thing that relieves the pain, and actually re-aligns my spine. Does anybody know anything about ergonomic chairs?

psychic friend
12-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Well, seeing as how your vet has to pay for everything you see out of his/her own pocket, including the building, the x ray machine, the drugs, the kennels... down to the pens, paper and ear swabs... I wouldn't be so doubtful.

my vet is a chain, corporation.. rips people off on meds, trys to charge for things I do myself at home for free.. etc.

I need to find a new vet.

Sigmabass
12-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Im a vet.

thelastgreatman
12-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Actually youre right LGM. Yoga and some pilates exercises seem to be the only thing that relieves the pain, and actually re-aligns my spine. Does anybody know anything about ergonomic chairs?

Are you careful about adhering to the 90 degree principles? personally it's impossible for me, I can't stand sitting straight up, but I've heard some people claim that if you make an effort to maintain right angles in your sitting and hands positions it helps a lot.

full on idle
12-12-2007, 03:24 PM

When I have to concentrate on something stressful on my screen for more than a couple hours without getting up my whole body tenses up into a total hunch and I totally know that between the shoulders burn. Sometimes it helps if I stand with my back against the wall with my arms raised and pressed against the wall as well.

Yablonowitz
12-12-2007, 03:29 PM
A consistent regimen of valium might not hurt either.

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 03:30 PM
I cant wait to sit down during the day. My feets get all hurt from standing in water and on concrete all day.

Lets trade jobs every other day!

thelastgreatman
12-12-2007, 03:32 PM
A consistent regimen of valium might not hurt either.

What have I told you about mentioning benzos in front of me? Stop that. Bad Yablo.

dorkfish
12-12-2007, 03:39 PM
i work for an IT consulting firm. i fix servers and wires and computers and things.

full on idle
12-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Can you see inside our computers?

kreutz2112
12-12-2007, 03:41 PM
I cant wait to sit down during the day. My feets get all hurt from standing in water and on concrete all day.

Lets trade jobs every other day!

J, I assume you do some sort of construction?? It seems like you are on the board pretty much all day. How does that work?

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Im the jefe.

dorkfish
12-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Can you see inside our computers?
Yours? Yes.

xleslie
12-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Full-time student, receptionist, florist, sales assistant.

Yablonowitz
12-12-2007, 03:57 PM
What have I told you about mentioning benzos in front of me? Stop that. Bad Yablo.

I'm about to take a .5mg tablet of xanax right now. MMmmmmm goes down smooth.

thelastgreatman
12-12-2007, 04:15 PM
You're gonna need that when you're out of work.

Wheres the beef?
12-12-2007, 04:24 PM
I play Street Fighter II professionally, but things have really fallen off since Street Fighter III came out.

I thought you were a leprechaun hunter. If y'all seen the leprechaun say YEAAA!

Somewhat Damaged
12-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Client Services Rep for a security company, though I don't really have too much contact with clients. I mostly do the scheduling, payroll, interviewing, hiring, and training (such as it is).

garrett222
12-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Accountant for a company that moves me around...I'm moving to Honolulu in January.

I bet Supre doesn't really work for the mafia. He's probably Henry Hill's assistant.

malcolmjamalawesome
12-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Pharmaceutical sales rep. Applying to law school.

Benis23
12-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Accountant for a company that moves me around...I'm moving to Honolulu in January.

I bet Supre doesn't really work for the mafia. He's probably Henry Hill's assistant.

I'm trying to get into accounting myself. I'm on my way toward getting an accounting certificate from UCSD extension. Would you have any advice for someone trying to find entry level work in accounting? It seems like the vast majority of employers want you to already have a few years of working experience.

BoardsofCoachella
12-12-2007, 09:41 PM
I work in the Fraud Department for a Bank.

kitt kat
12-12-2007, 11:32 PM
I go to school.
I do freelance graphic design.
I tutor neighborhood children.

YAY.

thelastgreatman
12-13-2007, 02:42 AM
Pharmaceutical sales rep. Applying to law school.

Pharmaceutical sales rep? YOU AND I NEED TO TALK. Looking forward to your thoughts on raving.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-13-2007, 06:08 AM
Hotel Manager....

lindseyb
12-13-2007, 06:38 AM
i'm a corporate paralegal but what i'd really like to do is start my own cat rescue shelter.

shakermaker113
12-13-2007, 07:05 AM

lol. I might have to sig that.

I'm a software engineer in electronic healthcare. woooooo.

matildawong
12-13-2007, 09:35 AM
I was an editorial assistant/arts writer/content producer.

Now I freelance write, do admin work and nanny part time.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-13-2007, 09:36 AM
does anyone here love their job?

EDIT: let me rephrase that: does anyone actually like their job?

kreutz2112
12-13-2007, 09:43 AM
I do.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Im the jefe.

Get me a yob!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-13-2007, 09:46 AM
I do.

What do you do again sir?

Yablonowitz
12-13-2007, 09:48 AM
I go to school.
I do freelance graphic design.
I tutor neighborhood children.

YAY.

You said you were a filmmaker. Is that not working out?

kreutz2112
12-13-2007, 09:49 AM
I am a grad student, but that doubles as my job. I dont do any school work. I go into what feels like a job 8 - 10 hours a day and they pay me.

kreutz2112
12-13-2007, 09:50 AM

her parents did not let her have a webcam when she was little and thus, ruined her dreams.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-13-2007, 09:50 AM
I am a grad student, but that doubles as my job. I dont do any school work. I go into what feels like a job 8 - 10 hours a day and they pay me.

Univ of Utah? what major?

kreutz2112
12-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Yeah, University of Utah. I have a BS in Bilogy and am working on my Ph. D. in genetics.

Yablonowitz
her parents did not let her have a webcam when she was little and thus, ruined her dreams.

Well then she should have more pictures of herself snorting crack up some fat guy's buttcrack. Whassup wit dat?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
Yeah, University of Utah. I have a BS in Bilogy and am working on my Ph. D. in genetics.

Nice...you going to stay in SLC when your done?

kreutz2112
12-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Nice...you going to stay in SLC when your done?

no, I am going to do a post-doc (hopefully in an industrial field as opposed to academia) in another state and when I am done with that I will get a job in industry, pharmaceutical company, biotech, etc... If there is a good job opportunity in SLC when I am at that point in my life, I will for sure move back here, just because all my friends and family are here.

C DUB YA
12-13-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm a DZ9R

and yes I lurve my job

Melanie.Dawn
12-13-2007, 10:05 AM
i'm a corporate paralegal but what i'd really like to do is start my own cat rescue shelter.

For real? We used to do work for the 'Meow Foundation' at the clinic I worked at. We gave them awesome deals. We saw sooo many cats. There would sometimes be like 10 a day... but usually about 3... but 3 a day every day.. that's a lot cats being saved.

Basically, the meow foundation was just a couple 'crazy cat ladies' and now its huge. They are awesome.

Correction: The clinic still helps Meow, I'm just not there anymore

Yablonowitz
12-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Just be sure to develop a "no Ellen Degeneris" policy.

Melanie.Dawn
12-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Just be sure to develop a "no Ellen Degeneris" policy.

why? so she wont sob on TV because she got caught breaking a standard adoption rule and somehow manage to make the rescue foundation look bad?

yeah, maybe you should make that policy

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-13-2007, 10:15 AM
why? so she wont sob on TV because she got caught breaking a standard adoption rule and somehow manage to make the rescue foundation look bad?

yeah, maybe you should make that policy

Ellen is a serious dumb ass after that whole fiasco....

Alchemy
12-13-2007, 01:23 PM
I was doing lab work for a site that dates about 1000 A.D. called Three Rivers recently. Processing collections found in the field like ceramics, lithics, fire cracked rock, grinding stones, human bones and the like. My main project was scanning film strips of the sights and making an archive of them.

I also am a creative writing major and anthropology minor.

betao
12-13-2007, 01:25 PM
I proudly listen to Boards of Canada and procrastinate.

thats what I do.

Melanie.Dawn
12-13-2007, 01:34 PM
I was doing lab work for a site that dates about 1000 A.D. called Three Rivers recently. Processing collections found in the field like ceramics, lithics, fire cracked rock, grinding stones, human bones and the like. My main project was scanning film strips of the sights and making an archive of them.

I also am a creative writing major and anthropology minor.

My friend just graduated from Anthropology... she tells me now she "cleans rocks all day"

canexplain
12-13-2007, 01:36 PM
IT ...

malcolmjamalawesome
12-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Pharmaceutical sales rep? YOU AND I NEED TO TALK. Looking forward to your thoughts on raving.

What do we NEED to talk about? Being a cog in a wicked system? I prosper from your grandma's doctor prescribing her a more expensive medicine when there are likely cheaper generic alternatives. In fact, the more everyone's grandmas get sick, the more money I make.

kreutz2112
12-13-2007, 01:48 PM
IT ...

first post I have seen ron post without "cr***"

TomAz
12-13-2007, 01:49 PM
What do we NEED to talk about? Being a cog in a wicked system? I prosper from your grandma's doctor prescribing her a more expensive medicine when there are likely cheaper generic alternatives. In fact, the more everyone's grandmas get sick, the more money I make.

no. he wants to buy your drugs.

malcolmjamalawesome
12-13-2007, 01:57 PM
I figured as much. That son of a bitch.

kitt kat
12-13-2007, 02:09 PM

Student=film student. I don't get paid to make films.

I get paid to do all those other things.

Yablonowitz
12-13-2007, 02:26 PM
You're a beautiful snowflake.

TomAz
12-13-2007, 02:32 PM

yeah. no kidding.

can you sell me some vicodin? they're for my dad.

amyzzz
12-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Do you have anything that will help my husband be in the pit at shows without being anxious? No Xanax--that just makes him fall asleep. kthxbye.

algunz
12-13-2007, 02:34 PM
I'll take some too . . . for my grandpa.

In reference to the vicodin, but I'll take the xanax too . . . for my mom.

Alchemy
12-13-2007, 03:07 PM
My friend just graduated from Anthropology... she tells me now she "cleans rocks all day"

Pretty much what I did. I had little rocks smaller than a finger nail too. Like 300 of them in a bag, and we have to wash all the dirt off them and tell what they are. What raw material and what kind of flake because they are not just rocks, they are either debitage from stone tool manufacturing or pieces of a stone tool, and sometimes you find a whole stone tool.

I hate it. I'm glad I am done with it.

kitt kat
12-13-2007, 03:14 PM

????

PotVsKtl
12-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Do you have anything that will help my husband be in the pit at shows without being anxious? No Xanax--that just makes him fall asleep. kthxbye.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/upload/img/load_of_old_balls.cover.jpg

full on idle
12-13-2007, 03:28 PM

You are a splendid butterfly!!!!!!!!!!

lindseyb
12-14-2007, 07:31 AM

haha, i remember that.

lindseyb
12-14-2007, 07:35 AM
For real? We used to do work for the 'Meow Foundation' at the clinic I worked at. We gave them awesome deals. We saw sooo many cats. There would sometimes be like 10 a day... but usually about 3... but 3 a day every day.. that's a lot cats being saved.

Basically, the meow foundation was just a couple 'crazy cat ladies' and now its huge. They are awesome.

Correction: The clinic still helps Meow, I'm just not there anymoreThat's awesome!

Just be sure to develop a "no Ellen Degeneris" policy.I don't know what you guys are referring to. What happened?

canexplain
12-14-2007, 07:56 AM
first post I have seen ron post without "cr***"

i thought just by typing in IT , it might confuse the kids :) canx**

Yablonowitz
12-14-2007, 08:01 AM
I don't know what you guys are referring to. What happened?

Can someone post the video from youtube. I don't have it. She broke down during a show a while ago because she adopted a $3,000 scrappy little shitter poodle that she couldn't get to accommodate in her own home and then gave the puppy to a friend who had kids. When the adoption home found out about it, they took the puppy because it was in her contract that she was supposed to give it back to them if she couldn't handle it. Then a bunch of people called the adoption agency and gave the owner a ton of shit and death threats because of the babbling performance on the show.

She was still funny on Finding Nemo, though.

KungFuJoe
12-14-2007, 08:19 AM
i work in post production on reality tv programs. love my job. On the side I, watch films, make films, listen to music, go to shows, read a little, snowboard, skateboard, rollerblade etc etc

Melanie.Dawn
12-14-2007, 09:23 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hjexpFm1Ojw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hjexpFm1Ojw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

lindseyb
12-14-2007, 10:30 AM
did they give the dog back to the family?

Melanie.Dawn
12-14-2007, 10:51 AM
I dont know, but they shouldn't have.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-14-2007, 10:54 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hjexpFm1Ojw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hjexpFm1Ojw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Dumb ass...

anyone who knows anything about pet adoptions should know that you can't simply give away an animal if it doesn't fit...she claims to not have read it but it is common sense...

amyzzz
12-14-2007, 11:52 AM
I'd never heard of that, but I don't adopt animals from the pound/shelters either. I don't see how it is "common sense."

Melanie.Dawn
12-14-2007, 12:02 PM
It just seems like common sense because it is the poliy of every adoption agency I've ever even heard of. Rescue foundations, the humane society... even breeders... ask that if you can't handle it to just give it back... instead of passing it around to other people who can't look after it. Generally speaking, I'd think if you were actually looking to get a pet, you would adopt it... instead of just taking a friends because its available...which is probably why they assume your friend will just give it away eventally as well.

but if you've never adopted before, I guess you wouldn't know that.

thelastgreatman
12-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Sigh... I need to look for a new job again I think. God I hate this place.

thelastgreatman
12-14-2007, 04:22 PM

If you give me some of your drugs I'll let you in on the secret of raving^2