PDA

View Full Version : Job Offer

vogina
12-12-2007, 08:56 AM
22 years old. 2 years left of international business major.

restaurant management position. entry 60K+20%bonus+benefits+2weeks vacation

this restaurant in particular is still growing enormously and i have potential of carving my own place in it.

whats your thoughts on it?
thanks

Courtney
12-12-2007, 08:58 AM
The restaurant industry is pretty volatile. How long as the place been around?

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Where is the resturant and do they have a liquor license?

vogina
12-12-2007, 09:03 AM
The restaurant industry is pretty volatile. How long as the place been around?
10years

Where is the restaurant and do they have a liquor license?
yes.
high end city sites in southern california, one in hawaii, one in vegas, one in arizona and more to come.

TomAz
12-12-2007, 09:04 AM
401(k)? managed by whom? paid (or at least subsidized) health insurance? sick time? disability?

career path? what do people who are where you'll see yourself in 10 years make? bonus growth potential?

professional/managerial turnover rate? employee satisfaction ratings?

finally, do you want to be in the restaurant business?

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 09:05 AM
I would like to see their income statement before I make my final decision.

marooko
12-12-2007, 09:06 AM
i worked in the restaurant business for several years, the only manager that seemed happy was the GM.

Melanie.Dawn
12-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Does it mean you would have to quit your schooling?

I have a friend taking international business... halfway through, she was offered a job at the university in the gymnastics department (because she's been a coach forever...) and turned it down, because she wanted to go finish school and make money... Now she has realized that she would have made more money at the university job than she will make when she graduates and that she probably would enjoy it more than 'international commerce'

so the moral of my story is! If it looks appealing to you and the money is what you want, then just fucking take it!

bug on your lip
12-12-2007, 09:07 AM
restaurant management position.
= 70 hour weeks & dealing with whiny diners

yuck.

stay with the degree....

vogina
12-12-2007, 09:08 AM
i've done my research on top of just knowing things from just working for the company.. where the company stands as of now.. http://www.tsgconsumer.com/pr26.shtml

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 09:10 AM
"Average unit volume is $8.5 million per store"

balls.

vogina
12-12-2007, 09:14 AM
i worked in the restaurant business for several years, the only manager that seemed happy was the GM. i see myself past a GM spot.

Does it mean you would have to quit your schooling?

I have a friend taking international business... halfway through, she was offered a job at the university in the gymnastics department (because she's been a coach forever...) and turned it down, because she wanted to go finish school and make money... Now she has realized that she would have made more money at the university job than she will make when she graduates and that she probably would enjoy it more than 'international commerce'

so the moral of my story is! If it looks appealing to you and the money is what you want, then just fucking take it! no. school will still be there for me, and the company knows that i want to finish school too, i think thats why they offered the job to me rather than other people older and waiting to become a manager.

yuck.

stay with the degree.... still getting it, going to take longer, but i'll be getting experience and paid well at the same time..

401(k)? managed by whom? paid (or at least subsidized) health insurance? sick time? disability? California employment law; subsidized insurance

career path? what do people who are where you'll see yourself in 10 years make? bonus growth potential? people make GM in 3 years

professional/managerial turnover rate? employee satisfaction ratings? employee happy. only seen to managers quit in 2.5 years, one upset didn't receive GM spot, other moved on to designing restaurants.

finally, do you want to be in the restaurant business? why not? other than the hours, but everywhere else people put that type of hours.. if any position a person is working making money, most of the time he or she is putting in the time, but liking it at the same time.

bug on your lip
once the Market takes another large correction, i would expect the Premium Casual restaurants to suffer

vogina
"Average unit volume is $8.5 million per store"

balls.

?? explain what you meant J~$$$

marooko
12-12-2007, 09:15 AM
i worked in the restaurant business for several years, the only manager that seemed happy was the GM.

yuck.

stay with the degree....

extension on my point. they fucking rape for time and pay salary.

when we were coming up behind people we would say "right behind you", so they know and nothing gets fucked up or noone gets burned.

one of the ASSISTANT managers where i worked turned around one time and said "that's where you're always gonna be." he was 28 and not going to school, i'd like to see what place he's assisting now. hahaha

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Working in that position and going to school will be so valuable. Go for it no question. Plus with over 130 beers on tap you can comp me when I come in.

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 09:16 AM
?? explain what you meant J~$$$

8.5 mil=not chump change.

bug on your lip
12-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Working in that position and going to school will be so valuable. Go for it no question. Plus with over 130 beers on tap you can comp me when I come in.

yeah but once he figures out you gave him bad advice he'll piss in said beers

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 09:19 AM
I didnt give him bad advice going to school and having a decent job does wonders for a resume even if he wanted to change positions after he finishes school.

vogina
12-12-2007, 09:24 AM
yeah but once he figures out you gave him bad advice he'll piss in said beers

I've heard what I was hoping for.

I'm going to give it a year on request of my parents what others have told me.

One last thing. At my restaurant in the end, politics plays a huge part. I was an expo, and now am serving at this location, but only for 2 years. To be asked for a management position when I never inquired about it or showed interest in it is something to say of itself. Management and regional, VP, and owner know of me because I am always asking them questions about the business. For example, when I would see someone like the VP, or owner walk in, i'd always bring up a question from something I just learned from class. I'm sure that had some influence in it, I see it no other way. On top of that, i'm a great person, personable. I know others in my location and others are dying to work as a manager for this company just because of how fast one can move up and excel, plus make great income.

I am going to have a meeting with the VP and I want to also talk to the owner. I would like to let them know that a GM spot is not my goal, like others might think. The company is going global, and with my international business major, i see myself making a hefty stake/name in the company in the near future, especially how I am just 22.

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 09:31 AM
I dont see this company working out in a global market, unless you have cowboys. Will there be cowboys?

vogina
12-12-2007, 09:38 AM
I dont see this company working out in a global market, unless you have cowboys. Will there be cowboys?

first place, singapore. there adapting. anywhere they go globally they'll adapt to the music background, and switch beer models. for example, instead of where in the states we have beers from europe.. if in europe, have beers from the states, south americas, and tropics i mean the concept is concrete. music of interest, beer, liquor, and food. plus how the place works. restaurant by day, restaurant/club scene by night. genius. i'm hoping for energy efficient stores, etc etc. get the company eco conscious.

canexplain
12-12-2007, 09:39 AM
If you are a people person, I say go for it ……. If you arent, no way …. it took me 25 years to get over that proposed salary, and it was just by attrition more then actual ambition …. You have to be able to deal with all walks of life, and all kinds of people face to face in that business … I think you either love it or hate it … I had a deli for a couple of years , Big Owls, and I loved it .. I am very big on education, but I have friends with masters and docs and they cant get a job in their fields at all … a waste of 8 years or so of college… I went to college for over 10 years, but that was just how long my GI bill would pay for it …. canx**

vogina
12-12-2007, 09:40 AM
and the most enticing factor of all of this is the background. owner went bankrupt twice, and now is making it. that investment firm is the first of its kind to invest in a restaurant. so they are doing there homework. plus the company is not public, so every dime nickel and penny is weighed extremely heavily and strategically.

SFChrissy
12-12-2007, 09:40 AM
my friend got in early at pasta pomadoro and is now a director of construction.

working weekends sux

captncrzy
12-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Yeah, the unfortunate thing about the restaurant biz is that, while you can eventually move into a high level corporate position, you'll probably put in a good 10 years working 70-80 hours a week and every single weekend.

JustSteve
12-12-2007, 01:12 PM

...and fucking hot 18 year old servers. seriously, some of the creepiest guys i have ever seen have been middle aged restaurant managers.

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 01:14 PM
...and fucking hot 18 year old servers. seriously, some of the creepiest guys i have ever seen have been middle aged restaurant managers.

did you just call yourself creepy and middle aged?

JustSteve
12-12-2007, 01:17 PM
first place, singapore. there adapting. .

you may want to work on your english skills, most companies would probably like someone who knows the difference between "there", "their", and "they're".

some of you posts are filled with many grammatical errors.

bug on your lip
12-12-2007, 01:19 PM
sick burn

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 01:21 PM
you may want to work on your english skills, most companies would probably like someone who knows the difference between "there", "their", and "they're".

some of you posts

lol.

JustSteve
12-12-2007, 01:22 PM
did you just call yourself creepy and middle aged?

considering i don't currently and never have worked in a restaurant...no.

Mr.Nipples
12-12-2007, 01:23 PM
dumbass...

JustSteve
12-12-2007, 01:23 PM
some of you posts

lol.

i had to add a little funny so it wouldn't come off as too mean...

bug on your lip
12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
it was little

full on idle
12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
NEVER MIND IT WAS A HILARIOUS JOKE THAT I DIDN'T GET BECAUSE MY BRAIN BROKE.

kreutz2112
12-12-2007, 01:27 PM
spelling eror.

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 01:27 PM
considering i don't currently and never have worked in a restaurant...no.

You dont need to work in a resturant to be a creepy middle aged man, as you have clearly shown us by the "fucking hot 18 year olds" comment.

bug on your lip
12-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Would have been sicker were there not a grammatical error in the burn itself.

yeah, but he meant to do that in order to trap J into sick burn # 2

JustSteve
12-12-2007, 01:35 PM
You dont need to work in a resturant to be a creepy middle aged man, as you have clearly shown us by the "fucking hot 18 year olds" comment.

how does stating a fact make me creepy? would it have been less creepy if i said "having sex with hot 18 year olds"? i have met a quite of few of these guys who have unabashedly told me that is one of the main perks of their job.

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 01:39 PM
how does stating a fact make me creepy? would it have been less creepy if i said "having sex with hot 18 year olds"? i have met a quite of few of these guys who have unabashedly told me that is one of the main perks of their job.

Seek professional help.

Benis23
12-12-2007, 01:41 PM
No question - definitely take the job. At 22, that's great working experience and good pay. Are there any reason for you not to take it?

J~$$$
12-12-2007, 01:47 PM
NEVER MIND IT WAS A HILARIOUS JOKE THAT I DIDN'T GET BECAUSE MY BRAIN BROKE.

No you got it, stevie is just a moron and trying to cover up the fact.

gunfoo
12-12-2007, 02:26 PM
SmzGaSQYznA

Wheres the beef?
12-12-2007, 04:28 PM

A balance sheet would also be nice.

vogina
12-12-2007, 06:13 PM

hope that lung disease gets you sooner then than later

vogina
12-12-2007, 06:14 PM
A balance sheet would also be nice.

throw in a statement of cash flows, adjusted entries and maybe a fat lady using Peachtree inputing the data in.

shakermaker113
12-12-2007, 06:23 PM
if you can do it without giving up school, I say go for it. it's a great opportunity.

goodgrl
12-12-2007, 07:33 PM
i see myself past a GM spot.

no. school will still be there for me, and the company knows that i want to finish school too, i think thats why they offered the job to me rather than other people older and waiting to become a manager.

still getting it, going to take longer, but i'll be getting experience and paid well at the same time..

why not? other than the hours, but everywhere else people put that type of hours.. if any position a person is working making money, most of the time he or she is putting in the time, but liking it at the same time.

Take it.Your 22 and plan on staying in school. Seems like an ideal situation.
Mazal.